AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

[TVB] Better Halves 金牌冰人 (2003)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#1 JT*el

JT*el

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

Ratings:
Episodes #1-5 (29 points)
Episodes #6-10 (31 points)
Episodes #11-15 (30 points)
Episode#16-20 (34 points)

Cast:
Maggie Cheung Ho Yee - Lin Pak Hap
Steven Ma Chun Wai - Chuen Ka Fook
Joyce Coi Ming Fai - Ling Hu Hei
Moses Chan Ho - Gou Fei
Cerina de Graca (Ka Pik Yee) - Hang Sheung Sheung
Auguste Kwan Tak Fai - Ping On
Lily Lee Lai Lai - Wai Leung
Lo Yuen Yan - Wan Leung
Chuen Cho Fu - Lam Choi Ching
Choi Hong Nin - Lau Sai Kwong
June Chan Kei - Yung Yuk Lan
Simon Lo Man Kit - Tong Man Sang
Angela Tong Ying Ying - Po Yue
Kevin Cheng Ka Wing - Choi Chi Chau
Chan Man Chi - Fan Chi Kiu
Deno Cheung Chung Chi - Wing
Mak Bao - Choi Hiu
Winnie Yeung Yuen Yee - Yuet Leung
Yeung Ying Wai - Yuen Tin Ha
Mark Kwok Yiu Ming - Chun
Chung Chai Bo - Ting Chung Yeee
Lo Lok Lan - Chun Tai Cho
Lo Hoi Pang - Ting

ASIANFANATICS DISCLAIMER:
TVB or any other company hold all the series' copyrights and we're not associated with them in any way.

Please follow the forum rules.

Edited by mmhmm, 12 December 2004 - 09:29 PM.

#2 JT*el

JT*el

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

What do you guys think of this series?

When it first started out i thought wow this must be a great show having seen Maggie and Steven both my fav. actors. But when the series started it was just disappointment.

I guess I'm now at the 5th episode and it's boring me to hell <_<

This show is so boring and it doesn't really have a storyline. Sometimes the things they do too are stupid.

I guess right now i'm only awaiting the union between Maggie and Steven as they were constantly fighting.

Does any of you know the name of the lady who always play the role of male? The one being with Moses?

Well I'm not sure about the whole series but right now it's boring me to death. To be frank...i just switch on the TV for the sake of having it on and i just let it run through until the next series come along. How boring *sigh

Edited by JT*el, 22 July 2004 - 05:11 PM.

#3 Tarepanda

Tarepanda

超高校級のweeby

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:26 PM

Better Halves on the whole is just comedy and such... it doesn't exactly have a storyline to it (except the whole matchmaking thing). I found it quite enjoyable, but only if you need a laugh... it is definitely not the best series TVB has... And my friend also stated that Moses doesn't exact fit the whole heroic role in the series, and I have to agree with her... but I mean, my friend and I had gone through a whole list of people who could replace Moses' place in the series, but we never one a single person exact that would do better (not saying that Moses was good either.. *ahem*)... Besides, the casts aren't that great in the series...

BTW, the woman is called Joyce (forgot her last name.. he-he).

#4 55699

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

I think the name of the lady is called....er....sumfin like Koi Ming Fei in cantonese...fink she does alot of opera??! hope that's helpful la!!
:nihao

#5 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 08:54 AM

I don't think TVB has ever done a costume comedy about matchmakers before. There is a Cantonese saying: Not being a matchmaker means good for three generations of your family. So has this series meant good for TVB, the cast, and the viewing public? Supposedly the ratings for this series in HK were not that great. But it did win a lot of praise for the cast and crew. In my opinion, the series, along with Square Pegs, were among the best comedic works that TVB's Drama Department has churned out in the past few years.

I also found that the screenwriters for the series added a lot of modern concepts into the script. The matchmaking company is virtually the equivalent of today's bridal store one finds in Hong Kong, all except that we today do not do the matchmaking. All the advertising, sponsorship, and what-not that Ka Fok and Bak Hap thinks of is exactly like how people do business today. I really liked the costuming of this series, especially the headpieces of the ladies. This goes to show that all the complaints about the reusing of costumes over and over have finally gotten through to TVB. A thing that I did not particularly like about this series was that it was rushed. All the matchmaking cases were compacted into about 1-2 episodes each and it left me with the feeling of “Wow, it's over already?”

#6 gossip80

gossip80

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3651 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

ooh..a really good series, love it how maggie and steven were brilliant in being able to talk their way out of anything, they were truly good

moses' role was interesting too, he was so poetically inclined that it was funny

didn't like that girl with the strength though, she couldn't really act

other than that, it was a really good series, bad ending though

#7 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:52 AM

the series to mi was boring. it just doesn't lead to anywhere except the love thing. & their love were boring, too. b/c they hate 1st lover later, which tvb used over & over again. this series might b a comedy to other ppl, but it doesn't make mi laugh. in my opinion, i think Maggie & Steven over acted a lot. & i don't like the woman who always acted as a guy & Moses. so i didn't finish the series.

#8 felixwhoals

felixwhoals

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:21 PM

I think it's quite boring also.. BUt I love the funny scence..

#9 mistic_unicorn396

mistic_unicorn396

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:40 PM

i juz finished watching this series and found it quite enjoyable

#10 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

for techies=> http://www.emvee.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3257 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:50 AM

i love maggie cheung! shes so hot, lmao.

i havent watched this series, but im so desperate to watch it.

#11 MiracleHope

MiracleHope

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:29 AM

This series is all right, but some parts are really funny, especially the fighting between Steven Ma and Maggie Cheung. I think the storyline is focus on the comedy the most, so that's why the plot doesn't really intersting. Anyway, I enjoyed watching this series, and Cerina and Auguste are cute too.

#12 Jules

Jules

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:18 AM

I thought this was not a bad series at all. It had its moments but mostly the surprise role by Steven Ma. You know how he is in most of his series, sooo serious, and just sucha nice guy...yeah, this ain't it.

He was actually very very funny. He was sooo sneaky and had such a fast mouth so his bickering with maggie was very funny. Maggie was cute in here too, very pretty may I add. I loooved Moses character, so calm, nice, and smart. Not only was he good with sword fighting but a poet, too good to be true. BUt his love interst, Joyce somthing did not suit him. She just seemed odd somehow and a bit too old for him.

The story itself needs some work, and again I think the ending was too rushed but then again, what else is new with tvb productions??

#13 mikomi

mikomi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:23 AM

This series was so-so, not that funny as I expected. The argument parts between Steven and Maggie were just lame but later on when they started to fall in love, it was so cute, awww... And I found it quite amusing to watch how desperated and horified Moses was when he realized he liked that girl disguised as a male, keke. It had happy ending, it's enough. With series like that, I do feel the days brighter with more hopes, lol.

#14 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:08 AM

Favorite Scenes: Overall this is one of the few rare series that I watched from the beginning to the end without fast-forwarding any part. I especially love the scenes where Bak Hap and Ka Fok are together, where Ah Hei and Ko Fei together, where the four of them come up with a new idea to help out a couple, the part where Bak Hap and Ka Fok illustrated a story in an opera way, the part where Ko Fei writes the loving words in Ah Hei's palm to let her know that he always keeps her in his heart, and the ending where the three wives are having babies.

Favorite Couple: Maggie and Steve have surprising chemistry as a couple, and they have many cute scenes together. As for Moses and Joyce, the chemistry is just as convincing. It is hard to decide which is my favorite couple. The couple Bak Hap-Ka Fok is more like friends-in-love, while the couple Ah Hei-Ko Fei is more like lovers-in-friendship, meaning that Bak Hap and Ka Fok love each other very much but they always argue and they remain two unique individuals with equally strong personalities, where Ah Hei and Ko Fei are so alike in personality that they seem to be more romantic, understanding and caring for each other.

Other comments: I love how the stories in the series are tied together; the overall structure of the story is well defined and very logical, with one thing flowing smoothly after the other, full of interesting twists and unexpected outcomes. The conversations between characters are witty, sharp and meaningful. Great background music! Very colorful costumes and pretty hairstyles for Bak Hap and Seung Seung; for Ah Hei, I only like the costume she wears when she is pregnant.

#15 cowtown

cowtown

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:16 AM

I didn't find this series very good either. There were some really boring and predictable parts. The beginning was the most entertaining but dropped off considerably.

For one thing, i thought that Koi Ming Fai and Moses Chan did not match at all and it was kinda of gross seeing them together. And i wouldn't say that steven and maggie were a good couple either. They were ok, but nothing special. It was kinda lame how they liked each other but don't want to show it...just got to a point where it was annoying. <_<

I do agree that the overall structure of the story ties in nicely and a very interesting 'occupation' to do a series on. Just missing some memorable and exciting scenes. In the end, it was an very average series to watch.

#16 X Thi Mạn

X Thi Mạn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

this series was ok, not really interesting but was good enough to keep me watching

#17 fudge

fudge

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:11 AM

I really enjoyed this series. Maggi and Steven shared a great chemistry together. They had some very romantic and sweet scenes. :lol?:

#18 serenitysdreams

serenitysdreams

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:58 AM

I LOVED this series, although Joyce (Ling Wu Hei) bothered me on this one. She looked so irritatingly girlish as a guy, but she didn't look 100% feminine either, until right at the end -when she was already married and pregnant.

Moses (Ko Fei) was soooo funny on this one. I've been reading reviews of it all over the web (trying to find a good summary) while I was still watching it, and I kept on hearing comments what a deadpanned comedian he was.

Especially when he starts talking poetry/practicing weird fighting moves (we all start groaning), and when he thought he fell in love with a man. I dying of laughter -he looked so cluelessly innocent! It's really sweet, though, that they could still be a couple despite not knowing.

Maggie and Steve had cute chemistry, too. As usual, Maggie is really funny, especially the way she and Steve fight, but fall in love. She's such a cool actress.

The near-ending, to me, was the lamest part though. The little irrelevant short stories of matchmaking couples take out the main romance and plot between the main characters too much. And what bothers me even more is when they just appeared "magically" at the end, saying how wonderful they are.... etc. Coincidence. Right.

#19 Soeng_Yee

Soeng_Yee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

I didn't think it was that bad of a series. Its true, the story doesn't really lead to anywhere but there was sum good points about it. Steven and Maggie were so funny, always arguing and such, but their reltionship was predictable. Especially towards the end, they loved each other but didn't want to confess or anything; that part dragged a lil too much. The dialogues are funny, (2 thumbs up for the scriptwriter), a lot of comedy involved but it was kind of boring in a way. The cases were rather boring, and the guest stars were useless. All they could do was pop up on screen, and then leave afterwards. But the characters didn't do that bad of a job. I enjoyed Moses and Joyce Koi's relationship. It was funny, predictable also but it was different. Moses thinks he's falling for a guy, I laugh at the thought of that. Poor Joyce had to choose between the man she loves, and her family. After all she did those years was for her family, a strong character. Overall, I'd rate it 7/10.

#20 s0lidusx

s0lidusx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:15 PM

This just comedy series with not much the story lines
Steven Ma and Maggie cheung .They both are matchmark .They fight with each other all the time but at the end they married to each other

#21 iqkid

iqkid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:32 AM

I think this series is good but compare all Maggie Ho Yee series in TVB i think she have better series then this.

My favorite out one of a few are Up and Down The Sea, War and Beauty Plain Love and who can forget 難兄難弟 one of her most very done act work.

#22 Winnie

Winnie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:35 AM

what is this serie in chinese, I can't recall .

#23 spiceditup

spiceditup

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:59 AM

omg i do not like the girl that plays the judge. she just looks way too old for mose chan.

#24 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:43 AM

Yeah. She's way too old for him. But doens't she usually act in those roles where they have females dress as males?

This show's pretty funny, but not that good overall. The first 3 episodes, when Steven's competing to be the son-in-law, is really funny though. As is they part where Mosses thought he was gay and asked Steven to kiss him to test out his sexuality. That was really hilarious!

#25 angeltvgirl416

angeltvgirl416

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:59 PM

I think steven and maggie don't look good together and also moses and koi ming fai look good togethere too. I just think steven will look better if charmine is there and koi ming fai really look like a guy to me even though she looks pretty in other series.

#26 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

i like it so much... the dialogue is so funny and maggie and steven shown really good chemistry.

but how come all couples in tvb shows always start with hating each other? is there a way to like someone without having to start an argument or misunderstanding?

#27 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:36 PM

this series is good but I've onli watched part of the end........I don't think maggie and steven rili looked gud 2gether........overall it was a gud serie

#28 Soeng_Yee

Soeng_Yee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:56 PM

To Winnie, the Chinese title in Cantonese is Gum Ping Pai Yan. (or sumething like that) I forget what it means though.. can't seem to translate.

#29 Wine & Roses

Wine & Roses

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:42 PM

This series is hilarious!!!!

The woman who paired with Moses Chan in this series is Joyce Coi, she always plays the male character despite her actualy sex. Haha I guess it suites her too.

Maggie & Steven were really cute & funny, just again proves what great actress she really is!!!
Steven should play more of this kinda roles because I didn't like him in Perish In The Name Of Love, too serious for him. This is his best performance so far!

Moses is cool too, he can potrait any role. Totally talented & good actor.

Cerina De Graca kinda nnoyed me sometimes but I guess she is new but cute though.

This is my only ancient series that is on my fav list!!!

If you haven't watched it, please do! & Be ready to laugh your hearts out!

#30 low2jack

low2jack

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

i rather quite enjoyed this series... very funny throughout the series...
this is a should and must watch series in my opinion....

i thought the couples were paired up pretty well... with the exceptions to auguste and cerina... they actually didn't really have that great a story to their relationship... it just happened....

#31 wei_c

wei_c

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:46 PM

i thought this series was really funny...since the ep 1, me and my sisters would be laughing so much. And i think steven ma is really funny here. I like seeing him in comedy role.

#32 B1ueRose

B1ueRose

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:19 AM

I saw this series and thought it was really funny especially when Moses thought he was gay...lol...I was laughing so hard at that scene... :loool: !

#33 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:59 PM

I like this series too, all around happy series... but nothing too special i'd say, this is one of those brainless series u can just watch and enjoy

#34 asoitia

asoitia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:24 AM

is this series short?
I like to watch funny series but not too long,
about 20-25 eps is ok.

#35 wuxiaaddict

wuxiaaddict

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:16 AM

I thought the series was funny. I laughed out loud. Totally enjoyed watching the series. Steven Ma and Maggie Cheung were hilarious. I thought Moses was funny too. I thought Cerina didn't act too bad for a newbie and she's very pretty too. She looked mixed though. Great facial features.

#36 lala.jen

lala.jen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

this series was boRing... it was just funny that`s all... and i lOve the costumes and hairstyLes... maggie loOked great... and so did the other aCtresses...

#37 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:01 AM

ooh..a really good series, love it how maggie and steven were brilliant in being able to talk their way out of anything, they were truly good

moses' role was interesting too, he was so poetically inclined that it was funny

didn't like that girl with the strength though, she couldn't really act

other than that, it was a really good series, bad ending though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is a great series andthe ending was good to!

#38 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

i like the serie, it very funny. yea i think maggie and steve are very intellgent. their job seem be very cool. i wish i can do it too. but only for while because i get may bored of it

#39 archnemo

archnemo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:06 PM

steven and maagie are great in this. the way they started liking each others are quite interesting and when they try cover up their feeling from others, it became hilarious. clapclap

#40 Spirals

Spirals

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:22 AM

I was surprised I actually started to think this was interesting. The first few times I saw it, it looked extremely boring, but later the plot became a little more interesting. Considering how much happens, it's seems a bit long and stretched.