AF needs funding again

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Chinese woman almost blind after watching 18 hours Korean Dramas!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 skYmaster

skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Source:http://nextshark.com...-korean-dramas/

A Chinese woman’s addiction to Korean TV drama series almost caused her to go blind after binge watching 18 straight episodes of her favorite shows.

The 20-year-old woman sought medical attention after she felt that her eyes were “ready to burst out from her skull,” according to Shanghaiist (via China Daily). Aside for the stinging pain, the woman also experienced blurred vision, redness and a headache.

The unidentified woman from Nanjing spent her day focused on her tablet watching 16 episodes of the Korean series “Cheese in the Trap” and two episodes of “Descendants of the Sun.”  She reportedly took breaks only to eat and sleep.

She went to the hospital the next day after she felt her pain got worse. The attending doctors diagnosed her with acute glaucoma and advised that she could have gone blind if she hadn’t gone to the hospital immediately.

Korean drama has become so popular in China that it even caused its state entertainmentregulators to impose greater limits on foreign television content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Should China ban watching Korean dramas? 

• Antoine likes this

#2 Antoine

Antoine

SNSD Sunshiner

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3769 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

I thought I was the only one who could watch a k-drama for 18 hours.

When I was in bed with the flu, I remember watching 3 entire series in just 4 days. :oro

They are addictive ! :nod

• nomad 822 likes this

#3 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1879 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

I thought I was the only one who could watch a k-drama for 18 hours.

When I was in bed with the flu, I remember watching 3 entire series in just 4 days. :oro

They are addictive ! :nod

Ya right - how does one "almost go blind with a 18-h marathon?" You kinda have to stop for meals and washroom breaks too. I think I might have done 48 hr back to back on the really addictive ones, esp when all 16 or 20, 24 eppies are out - same like a good book you don't put down until the last page. Talk to all the diehard Kfans out there ... we have all done it at one pt or another. For fans of Damo and MISA = they went to office with sunglasses after marathon bouts of crying/withdrawals after! :P

Yes, with you! Have done marathons too, especially with the treasured GEMS - awesome writing, great convincing main leads with good chemistry (even the peripherals actors who don't make you want to FForward)  ... these days there are wayy too many Kdramas out. 

No more rewatches for me either, not even with the gems - I only do it for very favorite (short, less time-consuming) movies.

I used to be more addicted (started in 2000  - one of the early pioneers of Kdrama/movie viewing) when it was a novelty - less discriminating about scripts/writing too when I started. Just parked logic/brains to the side as long as overall flow wasn't irritating and there were things/issues relateable. The early 2000-2002 ones used to be wayyyyyy more impossibly melodrama too.

Thankfully the early ones gradually evolved into way more captivating scripts with intelligent humour/insights/parodies on social issues and these are the rare gems that will suck me in nowadays. Otherwise, too little time, and too many dramas out there. I can't get into HK or Taiwan fare these days either - very few measure up, and the Jstuff is aso just too OTT most of the time (be it the squealy giggly girls or the exaggerated males).

There are gaping flaws in the current ratings favorite - Descendants of the Sun (the over-drama in many of the action scenes, the EngRish!) ... but the overall actors deliver so well beyond being a super eye candy pairing, the humour and timing of great punchlines amidst that (sometimes WTF) melodrama, the cinematography (Greece) so awesome, the camaraderie between the 2 male leads ... and Song Joon Ki is totally nailing the role with his respectful portrayal of his character (as opposed to being greasy smarmy under the hands of someone else who may have gone into 'as*shole' territory with it).

Ditto, it was kinda OTT acting wise too from Jun Ji-hyun to start off with, an incredible unbelievable plot to deter in the other global ratings-buster You From The Star ... BUT as with any addictive Kdramas, combined with the right magical elements overall it was convincing enough we kept coming back for more.

Edited by nomad 822, 20 March 2016 - 10:08 PM.

• Antoine likes this

#4 Coralie

Coralie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

I can't do the melodramatic 18-hour marathons anymore. I don't have the patience to sit through the hair-tearing torture of watching people try to communicate with each other through silence and frustrating expressions while expecting the opposite party to just get it. Most Kdramas I watch have at least a few parts where the rationales are never explained until the very freakin' end just so producers meet their episode quota (or trying to milk the drama for all its worth.)

The same for Chinese dramas. The dragginess ohmygawd. 

Even with that said, there are a few dramas out there that have met my expectations. They are far and few in between though. 

#5 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1879 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I can't do the melodramatic 18-hour marathons anymore. I don't have the patience to sit through the hair-tearing torture of watching people try to communicate with each other through silence and frustrating expressions while expecting the opposite party to just get it. Most Kdramas I watch have at least a few parts where the rationales are never explained until the very freakin' end just so producers meet their episode quota (or trying to milk the drama for all its worth.)

The same for Chinese dramas. The dragginess ohmygawd. 

Even with that said, there are a few dramas out there that have met my expectations. They are far and few in between though. 

I think Taiwan takes the prize for a whole bunch of useless peripheral characters and overall draggyness. It's rare I can find anything to watch these days in Tdrama - ditto Jdrama (where girls/and even guys tend to over-exaggerate all expressions sometimes to the pt of slapstick).

Chinese (esp HK and Taiwanese fare) just doesn't cut it for me anymore, after Korean.

I still watch the occasional HK and T movies. Then again, while you get great acting from Shu Qi in one movie, and  it's total trash in some corny bad comedy from her in another in (the  total exaggeration overboard junk I can't stand from HK)

China movies  - some are pretty city modern good and edgy, with a fast pace and good narration on social issues.

So I am biased. Even the Kfashion styling/eye candy is tastefully better (esp when compared to the trying hard wannabe HK/Taiwan fare).

Korean drama writers have been getting increasingly better since early 2000 days, with far less mak-jang (heavy melo). Movies are great too - JSA, Old Boy etc. Or very easy watches like The Mood of the Day (again I am very biased - it was really discovering Chilbongie as male lead who drew me in, along with Moon Chae-Young). But those movies are an entertaining watch and leave a good feel, with or without social commentaries.  

After yrs of being a viewer, I'd say there's far less melo in Kdrama these days (that's HK drama with all it's plot machinations. And Taiwanese where it's is generally much ado about really nothing with too many irritatingly giggling/bickering characters galore and cheesy scripts with sometimes really bad humour) 

Hardly anyone in Kdrama dies of  anymore or needs piggyback rides (unless it's the 50 ep types)/runs away endlessly/plays the noble idiot (be it oppa or his lead lady). The wrist grabs, unfortunately are still there.

There's actually a whole lot more modern expectation and direct communication too in K-scripts these days, thankfully - and feminist strong modern women values too. Independent self-reliant women. NOT helpless Cinderellas needing to be rescued all the time, or reformed extravagant chaebols who only know how to shop, bi*ch and look pretty. Homosexuality, depression and mental health (esp after all the suicides in Korea), single women, divorced women and and a whole bunch of other social issues have brought out of the closet with the more daring modern writers/great scripts too. (TVN offerings, esp)

The Dramabeans' team of strong writers generally don't stand for much nonsense in their expectations of a drama  (or make excuses because of the gorgeous male leads - that's Soompi) - good guides there.

Edited by nomad 822, 29 March 2016 - 04:21 PM.

• Antoine likes this

#6 Flavs83

Flavs83

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Wow, i saw news that some people got eyes problem after staring phone or computer almost 24/7.  Such a long exposure can really hurt .. we dont know until it is too late.  I need to stop doing the same thing on the computer.  

#7 sonyeerin

sonyeerin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Luckily she went to the hospital earlier. I have one concern too. I work as chef and I constantly feel heavy restrain on my eyes due to smokes getting in and cutting the onions. Usually im used to it but lately i feel pain for hours when my eyes tears while cutting the onion. Maybe i should go to hospital?

#8 aj099

aj099

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

Luckily she went to the hospital earlier. I have one concern too. I work as chef and I constantly feel heavy restrain on my eyes due to smokes getting in and cutting the onions. Usually im used to it but lately i feel pain for hours when my eyes tears while cutting the onion. Maybe i should go to hospital?

maybe u should where goggles while potong bawang. lol. plus u going to look stylish to like u working at the workshop wearing goggles while potong bawang. 

protection is important. wear gloves too. if you got cut on your finger and bawang juice drip on you wound its going to hurt like hell

#9 didinini

didinini

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:43 AM

maybe u should where goggles while potong bawang. lol. plus u going to look stylish to like u working at the workshop wearing goggles while potong bawang. 

protection is important. wear gloves too. if you got cut on your finger and bawang juice drip on you wound its going to hurt like hell

thats y i prefer only blend the onions, :neutral  not cutting it.

i hate this bawang besar ,,i only like garlic!

#10 Ellyani

Ellyani

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

yeah and this my first time heard about people almost get blind when watching korean drama 18 hours straight 

because so do i... im used to watch like 9-14 episode straight per day! and yeahhh their drama makes me sad and crying in the same time...

like malaysian said, "siapa pulak potong bawang kat sini!.." like cutting bawang can makes our tears down hahahahahaha

#11 Ryan456

Ryan456

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

what is that??? bawang kan dikupaskan??? what is a related the teaser with bawang??? hahahahahahaha

or maybe its a rendang recipe for this upcoming raya hahahahahaha

#12 Lisa_lov3

Lisa_lov3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

yeah and this my first time heard about people almost get blind when watching korean drama 18 hours straight 

because so do i... im used to watch like 9-14 episode straight per day! and yeahhh their drama makes me sad and crying in the same time...

like malaysian said, "siapa pulak potong bawang kat sini!.." like cutting bawang can makes our tears down hahahahahaha

When the drama scene is really touching will make me cry also, that different with the tears come out during cutting the onions, the eyes is more suffer when the onions juice is go inside the eye. If wear the glasses will reduce the incident happen. 

what is that??? bawang kan dikupaskan??? what is a related the teaser with bawang??? hahahahahahaha

i like the sambal got bawang and ikan bilis, that is more tasty when i eat with nasi lemak. But some of the people just make sambal into the sauce which i dont really like it. Even there are less ikan bilis in the sambal, but more onion slice will be enough to satisfy me.

#13 pinda.panda

pinda.panda

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:27 AM

oh they come out with new update?? i havent check lol.. last time i visit their page only show this. 

www.facebook.com/weareunifi/photos/a.171586053880.116273.167871508880/10156963857878881/?type=3&theater

#14 Rosk

Rosk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

i like the sambal got bawang and ikan bilis, that is more tasty when i eat with nasi lemak. But some of the people just make sambal into the sauce which i dont really like it. Even there are less ikan bilis in the sambal, but more onion slice will be enough to satisfy me.

ahah we like to eat bawang that's putting at our food but we dislike  bawang that can make tear when we cutting it...
and also the cooked bawang is taste good when it putting at our soup, but we lazy to cook it

#15 julin

julin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:57 AM

oh they come out with new update?? i havent check lol.. last time i visit their page only show this. 

www.facebook.com/weareunifi/photos/a.171586053880.116273.167871508880/10156963857878881/?type=3&theater

i dun like the smell of onion, when i saw that post, i immediately scroll down the screen.... :throwup

#16 Muliadi

Muliadi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:14 AM

Why not you wait and follow them.. They said they do live update at 3pm.. I already followed them because want to know what they talk about bawang and whats the meaning of 'bawang akan dikupaskan' .. Kahkahkah.. 

https://www.facebook...73885443301495/

This bawang to big to kupaskan.. Hahaha. But sokeyh.. Let me wait and see what kind of bawang they want to kupaskan... Maybe you gais can follow their pages to know more. Haha. 

#17 GongGong

GongGong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:24 AM

Why not you wait and follow them.. They said they do live update at 3pm.. I already followed them because want to know what they talk about bawang and whats the meaning of 'bawang akan dikupaskan' .. Kahkahkah.. 

This bawang to big to kupaskan.. Hahaha. But sokeyh.. Let me wait and see what kind of bawang they want to kupaskan... Maybe you gais can follow their pages to know more. Haha. 

Whut r u tlking bout??

Is it TM compny sell onion now??

Lol.

Whyyyy theyyy do live update during working hours??

Idiot or whut??

i dun like the smell of onion, when i saw that post, i immediately scroll down the screen.... :throwup

If u dont like an onion its up to u.. 

No one pkse u makan noob..

Just post the picture didnt post the smell.. 

So stop it being idiot.. Kahkah.. 

#18 sonyeerin

sonyeerin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:35 AM

What such a big fuss about this bawang page? Just wait for it to be reveal. Suppose to be today right? What time?

#19 aj099

aj099

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:50 AM

What such a big fuss about this bawang page? Just wait for it to be reveal. Suppose to be today right? What time?

I know right. Its just a live video. Supposedly to be out by this 3 pm today. Guess just have to wait a little bit more.

#20 Lisa_lov3

Lisa_lov3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

Did you guys saw the live? actually i miss it, but i still watch the video, what they bring out the message was family was the best, hmmm... a bit touching as im also long time no stay with my parent... 

#21 AFCrono

AFCrono

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

nothing special but it just a touching video ....the "makcik bawang" is actually very care about the family members.

produce by local malaysian lol

Did you guys saw the live? actually i miss it, but i still watch the video, what they bring out the message was family was the best, hmmm... a bit touching as im also long time no stay with my parent... 

hmmm , wrong.... its not only about for those that never stay with parent , but it also remind that the person that we stay & meet everyday . 

#22 Fly on the sky

Fly on the sky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

In this world , everything is possible and can bring you benefits or bad dead. 

take everything as standard but not over to it, not matter it is food or hobby or any related to our diary.

family are always the stronger support for everyone. a success people, behind of he/she definitely is the family power..

some people may have no family, but in their heart .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users