AF needs funding again

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Chinese woman almost blind after watching 18 hours Korean Dramas!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skYmaster

skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Source:http://nextshark.com...-korean-dramas/

A Chinese woman’s addiction to Korean TV drama series almost caused her to go blind after binge watching 18 straight episodes of her favorite shows.

The 20-year-old woman sought medical attention after she felt that her eyes were “ready to burst out from her skull,” according to Shanghaiist (via China Daily). Aside for the stinging pain, the woman also experienced blurred vision, redness and a headache.

The unidentified woman from Nanjing spent her day focused on her tablet watching 16 episodes of the Korean series “Cheese in the Trap” and two episodes of “Descendants of the Sun.”  She reportedly took breaks only to eat and sleep.

She went to the hospital the next day after she felt her pain got worse. The attending doctors diagnosed her with acute glaucoma and advised that she could have gone blind if she hadn’t gone to the hospital immediately.

Korean drama has become so popular in China that it even caused its state entertainmentregulators to impose greater limits on foreign television content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Should China ban watching Korean dramas? 

• Antoine likes this

#2 Antoine

Antoine

SNSD Sunshiner

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3769 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

I thought I was the only one who could watch a k-drama for 18 hours.

When I was in bed with the flu, I remember watching 3 entire series in just 4 days. :oro

They are addictive ! :nod

• nomad 822 likes this

#3 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1879 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

I thought I was the only one who could watch a k-drama for 18 hours.

When I was in bed with the flu, I remember watching 3 entire series in just 4 days. :oro

They are addictive ! :nod

Ya right - how does one "almost go blind with a 18-h marathon?" You kinda have to stop for meals and washroom breaks too. I think I might have done 48 hr back to back on the really addictive ones, esp when all 16 or 20, 24 eppies are out - same like a good book you don't put down until the last page. Talk to all the diehard Kfans out there ... we have all done it at one pt or another. For fans of Damo and MISA = they went to office with sunglasses after marathon bouts of crying/withdrawals after! :P

Yes, with you! Have done marathons too, especially with the treasured GEMS - awesome writing, great convincing main leads with good chemistry (even the peripherals actors who don't make you want to FForward)  ... these days there are wayy too many Kdramas out. 

No more rewatches for me either, not even with the gems - I only do it for very favorite (short, less time-consuming) movies.

I used to be more addicted (started in 2000  - one of the early pioneers of Kdrama/movie viewing) when it was a novelty - less discriminating about scripts/writing too when I started. Just parked logic/brains to the side as long as overall flow wasn't irritating and there were things/issues relateable. The early 2000-2002 ones used to be wayyyyyy more impossibly melodrama too.

Thankfully the early ones gradually evolved into way more captivating scripts with intelligent humour/insights/parodies on social issues and these are the rare gems that will suck me in nowadays. Otherwise, too little time, and too many dramas out there. I can't get into HK or Taiwan fare these days either - very few measure up, and the Jstuff is aso just too OTT most of the time (be it the squealy giggly girls or the exaggerated males).

There are gaping flaws in the current ratings favorite - Descendants of the Sun (the over-drama in many of the action scenes, the EngRish!) ... but the overall actors deliver so well beyond being a super eye candy pairing, the humour and timing of great punchlines amidst that (sometimes WTF) melodrama, the cinematography (Greece) so awesome, the camaraderie between the 2 male leads ... and Song Joon Ki is totally nailing the role with his respectful portrayal of his character (as opposed to being greasy smarmy under the hands of someone else who may have gone into 'as*shole' territory with it).

Ditto, it was kinda OTT acting wise too from Jun Ji-hyun to start off with, an incredible unbelievable plot to deter in the other global ratings-buster You From The Star ... BUT as with any addictive Kdramas, combined with the right magical elements overall it was convincing enough we kept coming back for more.

Edited by nomad 822, 20 March 2016 - 10:08 PM.

• Antoine likes this

#4 Coralie

Coralie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2402 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

I can't do the melodramatic 18-hour marathons anymore. I don't have the patience to sit through the hair-tearing torture of watching people try to communicate with each other through silence and frustrating expressions while expecting the opposite party to just get it. Most Kdramas I watch have at least a few parts where the rationales are never explained until the very freakin' end just so producers meet their episode quota (or trying to milk the drama for all its worth.)

The same for Chinese dramas. The dragginess ohmygawd. 

Even with that said, there are a few dramas out there that have met my expectations. They are far and few in between though. 

#5 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1879 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I can't do the melodramatic 18-hour marathons anymore. I don't have the patience to sit through the hair-tearing torture of watching people try to communicate with each other through silence and frustrating expressions while expecting the opposite party to just get it. Most Kdramas I watch have at least a few parts where the rationales are never explained until the very freakin' end just so producers meet their episode quota (or trying to milk the drama for all its worth.)

The same for Chinese dramas. The dragginess ohmygawd. 

Even with that said, there are a few dramas out there that have met my expectations. They are far and few in between though. 

I think Taiwan takes the prize for a whole bunch of useless peripheral characters and overall draggyness. It's rare I can find anything to watch these days in Tdrama - ditto Jdrama (where girls/and even guys tend to over-exaggerate all expressions sometimes to the pt of slapstick).

Chinese (esp HK and Taiwanese fare) just doesn't cut it for me anymore, after Korean.

I still watch the occasional HK and T movies. Then again, while you get great acting from Shu Qi in one movie, and  it's total trash in some corny bad comedy from her in another in (the  total exaggeration overboard junk I can't stand from HK)

China movies  - some are pretty city modern good and edgy, with a fast pace and good narration on social issues.

So I am biased. Even the Kfashion styling/eye candy is tastefully better (esp when compared to the trying hard wannabe HK/Taiwan fare).

Korean drama writers have been getting increasingly better since early 2000 days, with far less mak-jang (heavy melo). Movies are great too - JSA, Old Boy etc. Or very easy watches like The Mood of the Day (again I am very biased - it was really discovering Chilbongie as male lead who drew me in, along with Moon Chae-Young). But those movies are an entertaining watch and leave a good feel, with or without social commentaries.  

After yrs of being a viewer, I'd say there's far less melo in Kdrama these days (that's HK drama with all it's plot machinations. And Taiwanese where it's is generally much ado about really nothing with too many irritatingly giggling/bickering characters galore and cheesy scripts with sometimes really bad humour) 

Hardly anyone in Kdrama dies of  anymore or needs piggyback rides (unless it's the 50 ep types)/runs away endlessly/plays the noble idiot (be it oppa or his lead lady). The wrist grabs, unfortunately are still there.

There's actually a whole lot more modern expectation and direct communication too in K-scripts these days, thankfully - and feminist strong modern women values too. Independent self-reliant women. NOT helpless Cinderellas needing to be rescued all the time, or reformed extravagant chaebols who only know how to shop, bi*ch and look pretty. Homosexuality, depression and mental health (esp after all the suicides in Korea), single women, divorced women and and a whole bunch of other social issues have brought out of the closet with the more daring modern writers/great scripts too. (TVN offerings, esp)

The Dramabeans' team of strong writers generally don't stand for much nonsense in their expectations of a drama  (or make excuses because of the gorgeous male leads - that's Soompi) - good guides there.

Edited by nomad 822, 29 March 2016 - 04:21 PM.

• Antoine likes this

#6 Flavs83

Flavs83

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Wow, i saw news that some people got eyes problem after staring phone or computer almost 24/7.  Such a long exposure can really hurt .. we dont know until it is too late.  I need to stop doing the same thing on the computer.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users