AF needs funding again

Photo

Oriental Daily interview with “Files of Justice” buddies Michael Tao, Bobby AuYeung, and Felix Lok

hong kong michael tao bobby au yeung felix lok files of justice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 5521 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Oriental Daily interview with “Files of Justice” buddies Michael Tao, Bobby AuYeung, and Felix Lok

Source: Oriental Daily

Translation: llwy12@ http://asianfanatics.net

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Classic TVB series Files of Justice《壹號皇庭》helped the series’ stars Michael Tao (陶大宇), Bobby AuYeung (歐陽震華), and Felix Lok (駱應鈞) become lifetime friends. When these 3 ‘buddies’ reunited again to chat about the past, laughter filled the room [throughout the interview] as they voluntarily ‘dished the dirt’ on each other. Known for always having a ‘container full of laughs’, Bobby recounted Michael’s embarrassing ‘pants falling off’ incident while Michael ‘retaliated’ by making fun of Bobby’s ‘PK accident’ – their ages added together are already close to 100 years old, yet they never get tired of poking fun at each other! As for the ‘honest and serious’ Felix, he expressed that the 3 of them reuniting again is a rare opportunity and definitely worth cherishing.

M = Michael Tao
B = Bobby Au Yeung
F = Felix Lok

M: I’ve already come up with a new ‘image’ for both of you so that when the 3 of us get together now, the ‘feel’ will be different….

B: Well, your bowtie sure matches your ‘image’ in the series, however I’m not able to find the old hairstyle I had anymore! In fact, my head seems to become more and more round with each year that passes – soon I will need to sleep upside down so that the skin on my face doesn’t fall down…hahaha!

F: It’s already been 20 years since we did Files of Justice, so for us to get together again is definitely a rare opportunity and is worth treasuring! The thing I remember the most is that when we used to film series, it always involved ‘flying papers’ [TN: ad-lib dialogue / scripts written ‘on the fly’]. But since I’m working for a new company now (CTI), I don’t have to worry about that anymore, since the company does not allow it!

Could not stop kissing Flora Chan

B: Back then, the audiences actually liked watching the scenes when us ‘brothers’ would sit around the house chatting with each other, but I personally liked to watch Michael’s kiss scenes the most! The kiss scenes that he did with Flora Chan (陳慧珊) and Jessica Hsuan (宣萱) – WOW…the kisses were so ‘noisy’ and even when the cameras were shut off, they would still be kissing!

M: Hey, I wasn’t the one who requested it! But usually, the people I kissed were very good to me – for Flora Chan, that time was actually her first on-screen kiss!

F: The two of them have more open, Westernized personalities, so they take the initiative more. But I definitely agree that the kiss scene you had with Flora was truly ‘awesome’!

M: How do you know it was ‘awesome’? Even if it was, I’m the only one who should know….hahaha!

B: Talking about kiss scenes – one time, when I filmed a kiss scene with Esther Kwan (關詠荷), I actually learned some ‘tips’ from her! I’m actually a bit shy and nervous when it comes to filming kiss scenes -- that time when I had to do a kiss scene with her, she actually started talking to me while we were in the middle of the scene…she told me not to ‘squish’ her with my face! I told her to quit talking and concentrate. Later she told me that talking while kissing makes it look more real -- sure enough, when the scene came out, the results were truly very good! Michael -- if you don’t believe it, you should try it some time!

M: No, it won’t happen…at this level, I already don’t have the courage to kiss a girl in front of the camera anymore! A quick ‘good morning’ kiss is fine, but if you asked me to do the ‘madly in love’ type kiss now…wah, so ugly!

B: There was a time when I had a passionate kiss scene with Ada Choi (蔡少芬) – I was so scared! I mean, if I had decent facial features like Michael, the kiss scene would look good, but for someone like me who has such a ‘flat’ face, as soon as my face touches the other person’s, it looks as though my entire face (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc.) disappears! That’s why I came up with a ‘trick’ for filming the scene, which I told Ada: “So when we actually film, I’ll just kiss your cheek and if need be, I’ll kiss your forehead as well – that should be enough.” I was surprised when she actually responded: “Aiya….I was thinking the same thing!!” Darn….

Felix Lok is more ‘fit’ than Him Law

M: Felix’s police scenes were quite exhaustive for him, as he pretty much ran around all of HK when filming the scenes where he had to investigate the cases. Luckily, Felix has a very disciplined lifestyle…back then, when I went to his home, I already saw that he had his own personal gym – even now, he has been able to keep himself physically fit, even more ‘fit’ than Him Law (羅仲謙)!

F: Back then, when filming the investigation scenes, it could take us up to 11 or 12 days to complete! Of course, we were young back then. Even now, I still try to keep up with my exercise routine, as I still need to be ‘presentable’ in front of the cameras!

M: Actually, all of us desired to look good in front of the cameras. When we filmed FOJ, I requested to change clothes for every scene and each outfit had to be a different color – all of the bowties were from my own personal collection!

B: You (points to Michael) even requested to have all your pajamas made in completely white silk – wearing them made you look like Bak Lung Wong (白龍王)! One time, when we were filming a scene on location, you had quite an embarrassing moment! I remember that day was a Sunday and we were doing a scene at Statue Square [TN: famous location in HK’s Central district] – the two of us were holding the outfits that we were supposed to use for the scene and originally, we thought about changing at the hotel nearby, but since we needed to change quickly, we figured it was best to just change in the trailer at the location. When you unbuckled your pants, you had forgotten that your wallet was in the back pocket – it weighed your pants down and as a result, your pants fell all the way down to your ankles! All the Filipino maids in the area who saw you ‘flash’ your underwear couldn’t help yelling out: “Oh! Michael….small!” I laughed so hard! I remember telling you afterwards: “Next time, make sure you buy new underwear more often -- the rubberband in that pair looks so worn out already!” Hahahahaha….!

M: Well, you also had that embarrassing moment when we were filming at the mall! We were on the escalator and because you were wearing a pair of dark sunglasses and couldn’t see where you were going, you missed a step and ‘PK’ed’ right there! Hahaha! [TN: ‘PK’ actually represents a phrase that is considered a ‘curse word’ in Cantonese slang – the tamer ‘two letter’ version is usually used to describe when someone trips and falls flat on their face].

B: And you dare to even mention it! That time, if it wasn’t for your roaring laughter when the situation occurred, it wouldn’t have caused everyone in the mall to know! Everyone looked over in our direction when they heard you laughing – it was so embarrassing!!

Close-knit brothers, friendly competition

Back then, these 3 ‘brothers’ didn’t engage in any internal fighting or backstabbing – instead, they became close-knit brothers who encouraged and motivated one another. They would even meet together after work for coffee and give each other advice on upcoming scenes.

B: Even though us brothers were a ‘playful’ bunch, when it came to work, we were quite united. Every night after we finished filming, we would go to the nearby café and talk about our scenes – everyone’s mentality was very good! At one point, I had asked producer Gary Tang (鄧特希) why he chose us second line artists to film the series – he said that if he were to choose first-line artists, most of the scenes would probably be focused only on those few artists, but if the entire cast consisted of second-line artists, then the scenes could be shared and it would create ‘friendly competition’!

F: I also discovered an interesting phenomenon – not only did we have ‘friendly competition’ as the producer predicted, there was also never any hostility between any of us and we also never fought for screentime. We were able to maintain a close friendship that didn’t change even after filming 5 installments of the series – it’s definitely very rare! If it was any other series where the cast had to be together for such a long time, arguments are bound to occur!

B: That’s why I’m really hoping that there will be more installments of FOJ in the future. Also, we should definitely arrange more get-togethers….

M: Since most of our ‘playful’ crowd have already entered different stages in life, if we were to get together again for another installment of FOJ, I believe that the producer will need to come up with a different ‘feel’ to match too in order to make it work!

#2 sport

sport

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6969 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn't mind another installment of FOJ but it'd be very difficult to do but not impossible. Just that Felix Lok's role will be too old to be a cop that solves the cases anymore or his rank would be higher and won't be in the frontline. Also most of the characters would be married and won't be living together however they can probably make it so that they live in the same neighborhood.
I'd rather someone get all 3 of them to film for a brand lawyer/detective series.

Edited by sport, 24 June 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#3 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6861 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

3 old stars together again

Revealing all their funny antics in the past

#4 aznkenny

aznkenny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Please don't make an another installment of the FOJ. But I don't mind the three of them in a new series.

#5 happii_wasabii

happii_wasabii

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

for some reason i don't remember “Files of Justice” series hmm it might i was too young back then. I like these 3 actors and their interview is very funny.

#6 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 5521 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

I personally don't want FOJ 6 either because I already know they won't be able to assemble the original cast. Even though I liked the FOJ franchise a lot, I did sort of feel that 5 installments was already a bit too much -- I mean, from part 1 to part 5, the cast had already changed pretty significantly and I really don't feel that they'd be able to continue the story anymore with the same characters without making it sound lame (considering how they already tried practically every idea already with the first 5 installments, especially in the relationship category)...

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed reading this interview, especially the parts where Michael and Bobby 'dish the dirt' on each other. For those who can read written Cantonese, I actually recommend reading the interview in its original language, as the impact is definitely very different.

#7 wChaU1

wChaU1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

really great interview; Oriental Daily should have a video on the web! Perfect to watch these guys.

For those who can read written Cantonese, I actually recommend reading the interview in its original language, as the impact is definitely very different.

there's another option for those who can not read Chinese; just copy a portion of the text to speech: http://www.oddcast.c...tts_example.php

#8 AHSA'sVIP

AHSA'sVIP

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9753 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

love these three together, i wouldn't mind another installment too.

#9 strawberry shortcake

strawberry shortcake

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Awesome interview, I loved watching them throughout Files of Justice I to V! Nice to see that they are tight in real life too. Artist friendships just seem much more genuine than they are today for the most part (though I know the paparazzi play a part in that).

I'm half and half with another installment. I would love to see them together again, even if it was the same or similar storyline and genre but I also feel like the moment has passed. Like FOJ is just something special from the past that we can turn back to. And with the way things are now in Hong Kong television I just can't see it as becoming a success and worthy of one of the FOJ titles.

But hey if they prove my wrong that'd be pretty awesome too. ;)

#10 *.marshmalloww

*.marshmalloww

piko ♥ .

• Forum Seniors
  • 3301 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I can definitely imagine the fun of this interview if we all heard it personally!! Really love the three, and I bet they are hilarious together! Even from just reading the English translation, and can imagine how they say it in Chinese in their own voices, hahaha. Definitely will read the interview in chinese too!
I think after so many years, it is kind of pointless to do another installment of FOJ, but just a collaboration of the buddies in another production would be nice !!

#11 Guest_♥ daydreamgirl_*

Guest_♥ daydreamgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Only Bobby is still with them so I don't know if TVB allow them to do a drama together cause both of them doesn't have contract with them. Plus Felix joined with another company and Michael is freelancer.

#12 sport

sport

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6969 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Only Bobby is still with them so I don't know if TVB allow them to do a drama together cause both of them doesn't have contract with them. Plus Felix joined with another company and Michael is freelancer.

Who said they have to do one with TVB! Bobby's contract will end with TVB soon or has already! And it doesn't look like Bobby will renew it either! Also since Felix Lok is with CTI and Michael Tao is free! Why not just all of them reunite at CTI for a one off series! Especially since most artistes just signs per series with them and not management contracts!

a series with all 3 of them as leads sounds very attractive! TVB never treated Felix Lok well and has given him mostly supporting roles. His most memorable is no doubt the one in FOJ installments!

Edited by sport, 02 July 2012 - 02:33 AM.

#13 Guest_♥ daydreamgirl_*

Guest_♥ daydreamgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Who said they have to do one with TVB! Bobby's contract will end with TVB soon or has already! And it doesn't look like Bobby will renew it either! Also since Felix Lok is with CTI and Michael Tao is free! Why not just all of them reunite at CTI for a one off series! Especially since most artistes just signs per series with them and not management contracts!

a series with all 3 of them as leads sounds very attractive! CTI never treated Felix Lok well and has given him mostly supporting roles. His most memorable is no doubt the one in FOJ installments!

do you mean tvb mainly given him supporting roles? I don't know how CTI will treat him cause he just started to work for them since last year.

#14 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 5521 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well, the way I see it, for TVB to even attempt a 6th installment of FOJ with the original cast and still have it follow the same 'flavor' is pretty much impossible at this point. For one, the producer of all 5 installments -- Gary Tang -- left TVB years ago....he was one of the big reasons why the FOJ franchise was so successful, so without him at the helm, the series won't be the same (that's sort of how Healing Hands ended up -- the first installment was produced by Gary Tang while the sequels were produced by others since he had left TVB by that time.....out of the 3 installments, the first one was the most popular and successful).

Second, most of the original cast from the various installments (the main ones with significant screentime) have left TVB already -- Michael Tao, Felix Lok, William So, Eugenia Lau, So Hang Suen, Bowie Lam, Amy Chan, Jessica Hsuan, Flora Chan, Steven Ma, Patrick Tam, etc

So pretty much all they have left are Bobby (who is only per series contract), Ram Tseung, Yvonne Lam, Astrid Chan, Ada Choi, Patrick Tang, and maybe Lawrence Ng (if he's willing to come back and film it, though his character already died in the last installment).

Like you guys, I wouldn't mind if some or part of the cast came together to film an entirely different series, but even that will be difficult given the television environment in HK...and to be honest, I highly doubt that Bobby would film for another HK TV station other than TVB -- in every interview that I've read of his from the past 2 years or so, he said that he was satisfied with the way things are right now (per series contract filming 1 series a year for TVB while at the same time maintaining his career in the Mainland)...plus it's not like he desperately needs the money anyway....

#15 swtvtgrl

swtvtgrl

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

FOJ is truly a classic. The highlight of the franchise, for me, is the chemistry between Bobby, Michael, William, Felix and Ram.

Since TVB is in sequel mode, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sixth installment, lol

#16 AdeAvenue

AdeAvenue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Files of Justice was my favourite series growing up! I can still recall the instrumental theme song:))) The chemistry between the cast was great too.

Truly a classic.

#17 shoopadoopdoop

shoopadoopdoop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Bobby is hilarious. I still like watching his TVB dramas. He cheers me up when I'm having a bad day Posted Image.

#18 sport

sport

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6969 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Video Snippets of the interview!
http://tv.on.cc/inde...1M&d=1342157686
http://tv.on.cc/inde...1M&d=1342157594

#19 wChaU1

wChaU1