AF needs funding again

Photo

YUI's Voice Captivates Thousands of Hong Kong Fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 sparkles_n15

sparkles_n15

あゝ、荒野 2011.11.05

• News Crew
  • 1536 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:34 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

YUI's Voice Captivates Thousands of Hong Kong Fans
Source: Mingpao
Translated by: sparkles_n15 @ asianfanatics.net

Singer-songwriter YUI made her first foray outside of Japan this past weekend and held a concert on Sunday night at the Asia World Expo in Hong Kong. This was her first overseas concert since her debut six years ago. The concert attracted 14,000 fans. Eric Kot was the special guest during a phone-in segment, but appeared on stage towards the end. His poor attempts at speaking in Japanese made YUI and everyone in the audience laugh. During the encore, YUI played an acoustic version of her song Good-bye days, which deeply moved her fans.

With this being her first concert in Hong Kong, YUI specially prepared many items to sell at the venue, including makeup bags and hair elastics. Proceeds from some of the concert goods will be donated to help in the relief efforts for the March 11 earthquake, including items like notebooks, pencil cases and coloured pencils. Fans started to line up early in the morning. There were still line ups after the concert ended.

The title to her concert was called, 'Hong Kong Hotel Holidays in the Sun'. Even the pamphlet was designed like a menu. The theme for the concert was to have the audience as 'guests' at the hotel. Due to a violent storm outside, everyone was trapped indoors, so YUI and her band were in charge of entertaining all the guests. The theme seemed carefully thought out.

Even though YUI wore a long dress at the start of the show, she began by singing two of her rock songs, Again and Rolling Star. She also used Cantonese to introduce herself. During the two hour concert, fans only sat down during the acoustic performances, while many danced and sang along with her during the other songs. YUI said, "This is my second time in Hong Kong, but my first time holding a concert here. I wouldn't be able to do this without everyone's support. I'm so grateful to all of you."

YUI's concert in Hong Kong was quite similar to the ones in Japan as she also held a special phone-in segment by a VIP guest. In Japan it was Takeuchi Yuko, while in Hong Kong it was Eric Kot. Eric was great at making the audience laugh. Over the phone he asked YUI, "Do you remember me? I had fun with you at the hotel." To that, YUI quickly replied, "We're only meeting for the first time. Please treat me favourably." After finishing his work, Eric quickly rushed over to the venue. During the encore, he kept to his promise and appeared on stage. He lied to YUI and said, "It's tradition in Hong Kong that if the audience is happy, you have to perform till dawn." It caught YUI by surprise and she exclaimed "What?!" in response. Later Eric kept asking her if BBQ pork rice was good and if BBQ pork buns were good, causing everyone to laugh.

During the show, YUI used something similar to darts to choose her songs, however it wasn't very successful. Even the staff were starting to worry from the sidelines. Earlier on, YUI had gathered a group of 10 fans to be her backup dancers. It turns out they were called on stage to accompany her during her es.car performance. During her performance of HELLO~Paradise Kiss, YUI told her fans to listen closely as this was her new song. However, the fans already seemed well acquainted with it.

The most touching moment was during the encore. YUI once again expressed how thankful she was for everything music has brought her. She sat down on the stage away from the microphone and sang Good-bye days. The gesture was like taking the audience back with her to the days when she was still a street performer. Up until that point, the audience was very energetic. They suddenly turned very still as everyone paid attention to her singing. The sweetness of her voice paired with the simple sounds from her guitar made for an emotional ending to the concert.

#2 Hohenheim

Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Yui is really a talented and humble singer. She didn't mind to have a street performance in Hong Kong before the concert and sat on the floor while singing and playing guitar at the same time although she has been a popular singer already.