AF needs funding again

Photo

25th Japan Gold Disc Award: Arashi earns Artist of the Year

japan arashi japan golden disc award

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7276 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

Posted Image

The 25th Japan Gold Disc Awards were presented on Wednesday in Tokyo. As the awards are based on actual sales, boy band Arashi was naturally named Artist of the Year, for the second year in a row. Although they received an unprecedented 10 awards last year, this time they managed to win a total of 6.

Arashi sold approximately 1.46 million albums and 3.46 million singles in 2010. However, idol group AKB48 still had the top selling single of the year.

Domestic music:

Artist of the Year:
Arashi

New Artist of the Year:
SNSD

The Best 5 New Artists:
WEAVER
Kie Kitano
KG
SNSD
miwa

The Best Enka/Kayokyoku Artist:
Fuyumi Sakamoto

Album of the Year:
"Boku no Miteiru Fuukei" - Arashi

The Best 5 Albums:
"Boku no Miteiru Fuukei" - Arashi
"FANTASY" - EXILE
"BEST SELECTION 2010" - TVXQ
"to LOVE" - Kana Nishino
"FUNKY MONKEY BABYS BEST" - FUNKY MONKEY BABYS

Classic Album of the Year:
"My Favorite Chopin" - Nobuyuki Tsujii

Jazz Album of the Year:
"Larry Carlton & Tak Matsumoto LIVE 2010 TAKE YOUR PICK at BLUE NOTE TOKYO" - Larry Carlton & Tak Matsumoto

Instrumental Album of the Year:
"image 10 emotional & relaxing" - Various Artists

Soundtrack Album of the Year:

"Karigurashi no Arrietty" Soundtrack - Cecile Corbel

Animation Album of the Year:
"One Piece Memorial Best" - Various Artists

Traditional Japanese Music Album of the Year:
"46th Columbia Zenkoku Ginei Concours: Kadaigin 'Ume'" - Nippon Columbia Ginei Ongakukai

Concept Album of the Year:
"VOCALIST 4" - Hideaki Tokunaga
"Request" - JUJU

Single of the Year:
"Beginner" - AKB48

The Best 5 Singles:
"Troublemaker" - Arashi
"Monster" - Arashi
"Beginner" - AKB48
"Heavy Rotation" - AKB48
"Ponytail to Chou-chou" - AKB48

Song of the Year by Download:
"Aitakute Aitakute" - Kana Nishino

The Best 5 Songs by Download:
"Motto Tsuyoku" - EXILE
"Ring a Ding Dong" - Kaela Kimura
"Aitakute Aitakute" - Kana Nishino
"if" - Kana Nishino
"Best Friend" - Kana Nishino

The Best Music Videos:
"ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5x10" - Arashi
"EXH SPECIAL EXILE ATSUSHI PREMIUM LIVE SOLO" - EXILE ATSUSHI
"TOHOSHINKI VIDEO CLIP COLLECTION -THE ONE-" - TVXQ

Special Award:
"Toilet no Kamisama" - Kana Uemura
"VOCALIST" series - Hideaki Tokunaga

Foreign music:

Artist of the Year:
Lady Gaga

New Artist of the Year:
KARA

The Best 3 New Artists:
Orianthi
KARA
KE$HA

Album of the Year:
"A Thousand Suns" - Linkin Park

Song of the Year by Download:
"Tick Tock" - KE$HA

The Best Music Videos:
"Ladies & Gentlemen" - The Rolling Stones

tokyograph

#2 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

AKB48 and Arashi pretty much dominated the charts last year. Haha, hopefully their sales will continue to grow in 2011. Congrats to all the winners <3

#3 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Arashi's album was reported only 1.1million copies sold in year-end global album chart....they could have ranked higher if it was reported 1.4million sold instead of 1.1million.

#4 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7276 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

^the 1.1 million sales in the global album chart was only referring to Boku no Miteiru Fuukei
1.46 million could be referring to their total album sales for 2010 which was for Boku no Miteiru Fuukei AND their best album(released on 2009), Arashi ALL THE BEST! 1999-2009 (#19 at oricon album yearly chart)

#5 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

1.46 million could be referring to their total album sales for 2010 which was for Boku no Miteiru Fuukei AND their best album(released on 2009), Arashi ALL THE BEST! 1999-2009 (#19 at oricon album yearly chart)

Are you sure? It was released in 2009 and how could they add up together with their 2010 album? There is a clip that reports Arashi sold 1.2mil copies.

#6 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7276 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

^indeed All the BEST was released on 2009, but it was still charting on year 2010 so it's been counted

Boku no Miteiru Fuukei = 1,053,064
All the BEST! 1999-2009 = 342,743

added together it's approximately 1.4million..
that's just what i was assuming xD

what clip were you referring to? but there are numerous online news sites citing the same 1.46 million sales..
from AV Watch: [album] 1,461,170copies, [singles] 3,459,333 copies, [video] 1,134,535 copies, [internet distribution] 3,068,025 times

to make things more confusing for me at least :P it was said the sales covered was about 10 months -- 1/1/2010-10/31/2010

#7 LadyYuina

LadyYuina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

Congratulations to all of the winners!

And SNSD is new artist of the year? They must feel proud.

#8 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

what clip were you referring to? but there are numerous online news sites citing the same 1.46 million sales..

it was said the sales covered was about 10 months -- 1/1/2010-10/31/2010

It doesn't matter how long it covered because Lady Gaga's Fame Monster was ranked #1 but it was released toward the end of 2009.

Could it be the sales figure that reported in global chart was the number of copies sold in Japan while 1.4 million included all the asian countries?

#9 Hohenheim

Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

^ I think 1.1mil only included the sales in Japan because in oricon chart, they don't count the sales in overseas. As for 1.2 mil might be included all the asian countries while few months later, the sales has increased to 1.46mil?

#10 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

^Oricon counts overseas sales.

I think what meoinkie2 means is although All the BEST! 1999-2009 was released in 2009, it still sold around 342k in 2010. Therefore, that 342k is added into Arashi's 2010 total sales (because those 342k copies were sold in 2010) even though the album itself was released in 2009. Thus,

Boku no Miteiru Fuukei = 1,053,064
All the BEST! 1999-2009 = 342,743

...equals approximately 1.4 million total album sales for Arashi.

#11 Hohenheim

Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

^ I didn't know oricon chart count overseas sales as well. Is that mean the sales will included into oricon chart if i buy japanese albums in local shop?

#12 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

If you live overseas and order from online stores (hmv, cdjapan, yesasia, etc), they'll count towards the Oricon sales.

As for local shops, it indirectly counts too. Because the store you're buying it from probably bulk order the CD from Japan and those sales count on the Oricon charts. So for example, if the store stocked on 50 copies of a CD on the first day of release, that 50 copies will be included in first days sales regardless of how many copies end up being sold in that store. Even if those CDs don't sell at all, it's already counted as sales on Oricon. Overseas stores don't report every copy sold back to Oricon, but technically, overseas sales are counted as well.

(I know because I asked the Kinokuniya worker one time xD)

But I think that only works if you're buying the Japanese version. If you're buying a Japanese CD that says "Korea version" or "Taiwan version", I'm not sure if it's counted on Oricon.

#13 Hohenheim

Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

If you're buying a Japanese CD that says "Korea version" or "Taiwan version", I'm not sure if it's counted on Oricon.

I always buy HK/taiwan version because it has subtitles and less expensive....but seriously, i think most of the people who purchase online buy Taiwan/HK version because it's cheaper and there is subtitle provided. I hope it does count in oricon chart because I want to make a contribution to my idol's sales but it's good as well if they don't count because that means the sales is larger than they reported :pleh

#14 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

Nah, most people who purchase online buy the original Japanese version because those versions come with bonus photos and goodies while the other versions don't. And I believe only yesasia carries the other versions and a lot of people prefer HMV/CDJapan these days while purchasing Japanese CDs.

#15 bapeman

bapeman

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm surprised that Arashi has been really the top for so long. I mean in a country full of great solo artists and groups that it shouldn't be the same every year. I mean the list could go on. I don't even know where to start but I mean it just really surprises me.

#16 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

...equals approximately 1.4 million total album sales for Arashi.

but according to the news, it's approximately 1.46million

and the clip i posted says they sold 1.2million but it's only reported they sold 1.1million. They could be ranked higher but nonetheless, it's still a great achievement :thumbsup

#17 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

Oh, I don't know why it was reported 1.46 million then.

But possible reasons are:
1. They didn't use the Oricon numbers and used another set of data (not available to the public)
2. The Recording Industry Association of Japan is messing with us again is what they counted and that records the "total sales" to the stores, not to individuals. For the longest time, AKB48's single "Beginner" was certified as a million seller, but in reality, it still hasn't reached 1 million copies yet. But the RIAJ still says the total sales is 1 million and a certificate was awarded for them.
3. They made a mistake.

1 & 2 seem more probable than 3 though. xD

#18 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

2. The Recording Industry Association of Japan is messing with us again is what they counted and that records the "total sales" to the stores, not to individuals. For the longest time, AKB48's single "Beginner" was certified as a million seller, but in reality, it still hasn't reached 1 million copies yet. But the RIAJ still says the total sales is 1 million and a certificate was awarded for them.

In the case of AKB48, if the record of total sales to stores + to individual = 1million, then Oricion didn't add the overseas sales into oricon chart otherwise it wouldn't be recorded only 800k++ copies.

Edited by bawero, 14 January 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#19 Lucky_Doraemon

Lucky_Doraemon

Back to reality...T_T

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

SNSD are best new "domestic" artist and KARA are best new "foreign" artistes. I thought they both debuted similarly, how comes one group is considered domestic and the other not? I understand that TVXQ possibly debuted as a "new" group starting fresh and stuff in Japan so they can be considered domestic.

Interesting i thought Ikimonogakari would make it up there with their best selection album. Guess not.

Congrats to the winners =]

#20 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

^
^
No, it did.

From what I found out in the past, the Recording Industry Association of Japan records the number of copies printed or shipped to stores. So let's assume there are 1 million copies of AKB48's "Beginner" and let's say they sold 800k (including overseas sales).

1mill shipped to stores - 800k sold to individuals = 200k left in stores.
Recording Industry Association of Japan records 1 million sales
Oricon records 800k sales.

Even if they were to sell less than 800k, RIAJ will record it as 1 million because that's how much was printed and shipped (or "sold" because the stores pay for the singles) to the stores. Oricon, however, doesn't care how many copies are out there. Stores report to them how many copies were sold that day and they take those numbers and put it on their charts. Not the number of CDs the store has in stock.

In this case with Arashi, I'm saying that maybe the same thing happened for them. The used the RIAJ numbers which is usually larger than the number reported by Oricon. Surely, Arashi hasn't sold out all the singles shipped/printed otherwise you wouldn't be able to find any Arashi CDs in any Japanese stores. So 1.46mil were shipped (sold to the stores), but only 1.4 ended up being purchased by people hence it is reported that 1.46mil was sold and not 1.4mil (which comes from the Oricon chart numbers). This is just an assumption though and I can't say it's correct because I'm not sure if they used the RIAJ numbers or some other data. I'm just saying that that could be the reason why the numbers are inconsistent with the Oricon charts.

But I usually don't care much about RIAJ because I think it's just messing with us. xD Why do I care how many copies are printed? Someone could sell 100 copies and RIAJ can report 1 million copies sold if that was the number shipped to the stores, right? It's misleading when they report 1 million sales when less than that amount has been sold.

Edited by xxMiya, 15 January 2011 - 02:33 AM.

#21 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

didn't you say this in your earlier posts?

Even if those CDs don't sell at all, it's already counted as sales on Oricon. Overseas stores don't report every copy sold back to Oricon, but technically, overseas sales are counted as well.

I read an article that AKB48's Beginner had shipped 1 million copies but it was only recorded 800k ++ copies sold in oricon chart. Technically, oricon couldn't have counted overseas sales if what you said above is true.

In this case with Arashi, I'm saying that maybe the same thing happened for them. The used the RIAJ numbers which is usually larger than the number reported by Oricon. Surely, Arashi hasn't sold out all the singles shipped/printed otherwise you wouldn't be able to find any Arashi CDs in any Japanese stores. So 1.46mil were shipped (sold to the stores), but only 1.4 ended up being purchased by people hence it is reported that 1.46mil was sold and not 1.4mil (which comes from the Oricon chart numbers). This is just an assumption though and I can't say it's correct because I'm not sure if they used the RIAJ numbers or some other data. I'm just saying that that could be the reason why the numbers are inconsistent with the Oricon charts

Let's assume RIAJ exaggerated the sales figure that Arashi's albums (All the best + Boku no Miteiru Fuukei) sold 1.46 million copies but in fact, they only sold 1.4 million copies. However, the clip I've posted earlier says that Boku no Miteiru Fuukei alone sold 1.2 million copies. That clip is a report from Peru, therefore it's highly possible they included the total sales around the world. It's either Oricon chart didn't include overseas sales or the sales has reached 1.46 million few months. You see, if they did count overseas sales then it would be 1.2 million (Boku) + around 340k (All the best) = around 1.5 million. And if oricon didn't count overseas sales then it makes sense why it's approximately 1.4 million and RIAJ exaggerated it to 1.46 million.

Anyway, I'm sorry for keep bothering you XD

Edited by bawero, 16 January 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#22 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

didn't you say this in your earlier posts?

I read an article that AKB48's Beginner had shipped 1 million copies but it was only recorded 800k ++ copies sold in oricon chart. Technically, oricon couldn't have counted overseas sales if what you said above is true.

Yes, I did say that in my earlier post, but I was only referring to stores outside of Japan (overseas sales in stores). By "local stores", I was making the assumption that HighPriestz didn't live in Japan.

I think what's confusing you is why Oricon didn't record 1 million sales, right? That's because 1 million was sold to the stores (not to individuals) and not all of the copies are sold. RIAJ is gonna say 1 million sales no matter what because that's the amount they recorded as shipped and they're assuming that all of it gets sold. Because no one would make an order that big if there wasn't a high chance of it being sold out, right? But when CdJapan, Yesasia, and local stores in Japan reported their sales to Oricon, only about 800k sold. So that means that 200k are still out there at the stores. When someone makes an order via CdJapan for the single, they will take a copy from their warehouse and ship it to the customer, not make a new order for it. So when that happens, Oricon sales for "Beginner" would be +1, but RIAJ sales will still remain at 1 million.

For Japanese and online music stores, if they sell 1 copy, they will mark it down and at the end of the day report it back to Oricon. For overseas stores (like Kinokuniya), say they order 50 copies. Those 50 copies are included in the 1 million sales recorded by RIAJ and 800k recorded by Oricon. So even if they sell all 50 of those singles, there won't be a change to the total sales.

When "Beginner" finally sells 1 million copies (they're at 987k now), there will definitely be more news about it saying that Oricon has recorded it selling 1 million copies. Trust me, it'll be soon and you won't miss it.

Let's assume RIAJ exaggerated the sales figure that Arashi's albums (All the best + Boku no Miteiru Fuukei) sold 1.46 million copies but in fact, they only sold 1.4 million copies. However, the clip I've posted earlier says that Boku no Miteiru Fuukei alone sold 1.2 million copies. That clip is a report from Peru, therefore it's highly possible they included the total sales around the world. It's either Oricon chart didn't include overseas sales or the sales has reached 1.46 million few months. You see, if they did count overseas sales then it would be 1.2 million (Boku) + around 340k (All the best) = around 1.5 million. And if oricon didn't count overseas sales then it makes sense why it's approximately 1.4 million and RIAJ exaggerated it to 1.46 million.

I'm not being rude or racist or whatever, but I honestly don't trust sources outside of Japan (when reporting news about Japanese idols) very much. Because the people reporting on them usually never really "know" the artists they're reporting on and they're probably just doing their job and are not actual followers of the group. We do not know where they get their sources from and we do not know if that source is reliable. I have seen China report lots of misleading information and they just take videos off of youtube uploaded by fans and use it as their own news.

And as of now, Boku no Miteiru Fuukei still hasn't sold 1.2 million copies so chances are their information is incorrect.

Also, people from Japan order via online stores too. Companies are probably not going to go through every address and separate the domestic and foreign address and report them separately to Oricon. People go out of their way to contribute to their favorite idol's sales, so if those sales didn't count, a lot of online stores would be out of business.

Again, it is possible that the numbers they used is another set of data not available to the public. So unless they release information about how they got their sales, then there's really no way we can confirm what really happened to Arashi's sales.

Anyway, I'm sorry for keep bothering you XD

No bother at all. I'm glad there's another Jpop fan on the forum. :)

#23 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

I think what's confusing you is why Oricon didn't record 1 million sales, right? That's because 1 million was sold to the stores (not to individuals) and not all of the copies are sold

Yes, not all copies are sold but you said [Even if those CDs don't sell at all, it's already counted as sales on Oricon. Overseas stores don't report every copy sold back to Oricon, but technically, overseas sales are counted as well.]

No bother at all. I'm glad there's another Jpop fan on the forum.

I think this forum used to have more jpop fans otherwise some jpop artists wouldn't have reached part 9.

#24 xxMiya

xxMiya

Q期 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5074 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yes, not all copies are sold but you said [Even if those CDs don't sell at all, it's already counted as sales on Oricon. Overseas stores don't report every copy sold back to Oricon, but technically, overseas sales are counted as well.]

I was only referring to stores not located in Japan because HighPriestz was talking about "local shops" and I assumed that he didn't live in Japan.

Overseas stores don't call up Oricon to report daily sales. However much they order is what's recorded on the charts. So regardless of what sells, the charts won't change. 50 copies ordered = 50 copies on Oricon even if 0 copies sold. Technically, if you buy from an overseas store, yeah, your purchase counts... but it's already been counted before you bought it.

Stores in Japan call up Oricon and report what they sell each day. Oricon takes that number and puts it on the charts. That number changes everyday. Whatever doesn't sell doesn't get recorded and is left in the stores.