AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Same surname marriage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 chuppy

chuppy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

is it really impossible to married a girl from the same surname???
i heard that its a taboo coz the children from the marriage will have some problem~~~ kind of worry nw

#2 tvbmad

tvbmad

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

i dunno (this is my guess/opinion btw,, so might not be correct and stuff), but i think it's only if you have same surname and are quite closely related to that person..like cousin, or you can trace back few generations that meet up or something. but other than that i think it's fine. my cousin's friend recently got married to a guy of the same surname and apparently their families immigrated from the same part of china, so it was likely that they were related,, another problem was some elders didn't want it to happen cos of traditions, but they got through it alright :/

#3 ashng88

ashng88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

as long as theres no blood relation it should b ok...

my parents have the same surname 'Ng' with no blood relation, bro and i turned out fine.. lol

#4 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

In the west at least, its perfectly ok to marry somone with the same last name! Its better in a way because then there is no need to change your name lol.

#5 jiang bao

jiang bao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:35 AM

You sure when you were told that you could not marry the same person of the same "last name," the other person wasn't talking about the person of the same "sex"? The two words sound identical.

Anyway, it's fine to marry people of the same last name.

#6 pineapple_fluff

pineapple_fluff

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:44 AM

I don't think it's forbidden by law or anything, but I think if you're Asian, the older generation frowns upon it because there might be that slight chance that you're somehow related. I've heard my grandparents talk about it being weird to marry someone with the same last name. But, I don't think it's against any laws.. at least not in America. If the two people are related by blood, then there's an increased chance of a child being born with a defect.

#7 torn apart

torn apart

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

my boyfriend n i have been together for 13 years and have been through death. We have same surname of 'huang' and mum is totally against it. Did DNA test to prove we are predicted 5th cousin, with only 0.09% of similar DNA. Planning on marriage now but mum will disown me if i marry him. Sisters will also not be with me because they think i do not think for my mum. Mum is 70 years old n has hypertension. If she gets so upset that she dies, i will blame myself. But if i break up with my boyfriend (which we both totally disagree to do), i will be heartbroken. What to do? PLs anyone give any advice.

#8 hello melody/kitty

hello melody/kitty

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

is it really impossible to married a girl from the same surname???
i heard that its a taboo coz the children from the marriage will have some problem~~~ kind of worry nw

A few of my friends are married to the same surname and their children turned out to be normal, I guess if it is no blood related then it is ok, I mean people with different surname can not be married co's being related.

#9 AngelAngel

AngelAngel

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1806 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Then it must be really hard for people in Korea to mate. Like your name is Kim and your dating pool diminishes like woah.

Edited by AngelAngel, 12 July 2010 - 12:24 AM.

#10 BukAlan

BukAlan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

yeah, if that was the case, korean people would be screwed. lol

#11 littlemui

littlemui

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Like stated before, it's not an issue of your last name being the same, it's how closely related you are. The closer in relation, the more similar your genetic makeup is, and that will cause a lot of potential problems in your offspring. My fiance and I have the same last name, but we can each trace our family tree back 4 generations and there is no connection yet. If you're worried, look at your ancestors and see if there's a connection. Otherwise, you won't have a problem.

#12 SNK_1408

SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Then it must be really hard for people in Korea to mate. Like your name is Kim and your dating pool diminishes like woah.

Yeah this is why Korean govt have allowed same surname marriage because they've discovered most Korean only took up surnames after 17th century.
During past, Koreans didn't have surnames, they only represent themselves with clan that they're belonged to but during Koryo kingdom era (10~13th century), new law was introduce to allow all Koreans to start adopting surnames. hence popular names like Kim, Lee, Park, Seok, Kang, Ko etc.. were adopted by many commoners and aristocrats. And it wasn't until 17th century after ruler of Choson Dynasty disbanded slavery class, all Koreans from lower to middle classes to adopt surnames.

There are more than 900 different clans of Kim surname in Korea, all belonged to different families not sharing common ancestry.
So for Koreans, location of household (ancestral homeland) is very important, you'll notice when Koreans meet each other first they share is their bongwan (ancestral origin) due to many Koreans have same names.

#13 cinnamon_coffee

cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1622 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

my boyfriend n i have been together for 13 years and have been through death. We have same surname of 'huang' and mum is totally against it. Did DNA test to prove we are predicted 5th cousin, with only 0.09% of similar DNA. Planning on marriage now but mum will disown me if i marry him. Sisters will also not be with me because they think i do not think for my mum. Mum is 70 years old n has hypertension. If she gets so upset that she dies, i will blame myself. But if i break up with my boyfriend (which we both totally disagree to do), i will be heartbroken. What to do? PLs anyone give any advice.

Hard situation... however, I wouldn't gave up my relationship. You can't please everyone and your life choices are the most important thing.

#14 xiaolongbao

xiaolongbao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Same surname is nothing to worry about as long as there's no blood relation. It's the funny sounding pairings that worry me. Like my ex and I. My name is Ma and her name is Tong. Put together in Chinese, it sounds like "toilet". Haha, people used to kid us about getting married. :loool:

#15 SNK_1408

SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Same surname is nothing to worry about as long as there's no blood relation. It's the funny sounding pairings that worry me. Like my ex and I. My name is Ma and her name is Tong. Put together in Chinese, it sounds like "toilet". Haha, people used to kid us about getting married. :loool:

You mean "Ma" as horse?
What is your family's origin? location of birth place of your first recorded ancestor?

#16 xiaolongbao

xiaolongbao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

You mean "Ma" as horse?
What is your family's origin? location of birth place of your first recorded ancestor?

Yup, that's right. Well, my paternal family are Chinese orthodox Muslims from Guangxi. As far as I know we can trace our roots back to Arab traders who first settled in Mongolia and then spread to Southern China.

#17 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

I never understood the reasoning:

You can marry your 表 cousins (children of the sister of your mother. Differents surname), but you're not allowed to marry your 堂 cousins (children of the brother of your dad, which means you share the same surname).

I mean, you share the same amount of DNA with both sides, right? So, I wouldn't marry either of those cousins. Though, I'm not judging people who does marry their 表 cousins, I'm saying that, from a scientifical point of view, both is equally 'wrong'/right.

#18 SNK_1408

SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Yup, that's right. Well, my paternal family are Chinese orthodox Muslims from Guangxi. As far as I know we can trace our roots back to Arab traders who first settled in Mongolia and then spread to Southern China.

that's interesting considering I also have same "Ma" surname, but I'm Korean.
In Korea there is two 'Ma' clans

#19 xiaolongbao

xiaolongbao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

that's interesting considering I also have same "Ma" surname, but I'm Korean.
In Korea there is two 'Ma' clans

Yeah, a friend of mine from college is Korean and when we first met he said the same thing. He told me his mother's name is Ma. Like I said, my family are Muslims so as far as I know Ma was shortened from Muhammad. For Han Chinese, the Ma clan were originally name Zhao and were government tax officials. One of the Zhao clan busted corrupt officials and was rewarded by the emperor with administratorship of a district called Ma Fu. His family thus, changed their names to Ma. My Korean friend told me that, like you said, there are two clans of Mas. One clan migrated from China and the other was originally named Yong but changed their name to Ma.