AF needs funding again

Photo

The 5 Top-Earning Taiwanese Idol Drama Actors/Actresses of 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 doraemon♡JAY

doraemon♡JAY

无与伦比 <33

• Forum Crew
  • 4993 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

[b]The 5 Top-Earning Taiwanese Idol Drama Actors/Actresses of 2009 [/b]

Source: [url=http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/article/art_id/32133775/IssueID/20091203]Next Media[/url]
Translation: [b]Sarah[/b] @ http://asianfanatics.net

2009 saw the broadcast of many excellent idol dramas and the celebrity actors & actresses who starred in them also drew in millions of revenue. This year, Jerry Yan tops the list for the 3rd consecutive year, with estimated earnings of $68million, which is $10million more than last year. Rainie Yang follows closely behind with $61.8million, followed by Joe Cheng, due to his increased endorsements in mainland China, with estimated earnings of $50.7million.

[b]1. Jerry Yan: estimated earnings = $68million[/b]

[url=http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=781156][img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/gallery/albums/Taiwanese-Male/Jerry-Yan-Cheng-Xu/thumb_msc0908301601002-l1.jpg[/img][/url]

1 drama (Down With Love) = $18million
5 commercial events = $17million
2 events = $8million
album sales = $5million
merchandise (calendar, DVD etc) = $20million

[b]2. Rainie Yang: estimated earnings = $61.8million[/b]

[url=http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=802673][img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/gallery/albums/Taiwanese-female/Rainie-Yang-Cheng-Lin/thumb_1_5.jpg[/img][/url]

1 drama (Hi My Sweetheart) = $2.6million
9 commercial events + New Year Eve’s event = $7.9million
10 endorsements = $48million
1 film (The Child’s Eye In 3D) = $3.3million

[b]3. Joe Cheng: estimated earnings = $50.7million[/b]

[url=http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=784028][img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/gallery/albums/Taiwanese-Male/Joe-Cheng-Yuan-Chang/thumb_478_1.jpg[/img][/url]

1 drama (Love Or Bread) + stage play = $2.6million
4 endorsements = $37.6million
album sales = $1million
24 commercial events = $8million

[b]4. Vic Zhou (Zai Zai): estimated earnings = $41million[/b]

[url=http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=821973][img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/gallery/albums/Taiwanese-Male/Vic-Zhou-Yu-Min/thumb_20090911_88c324ef45ca18f9c7b3DBKqPSopDHs5.jpg[/img][/url]

2 dramas (Black & White + The Last Night Of Madam Chin) = $18million
1 film = $3million
2 endorsements = $20million

[b]5. Joe Chen (Qiao En): estimated earnings = $35.7million[/b]

[url=http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index.php?act=image&pid=789443][img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/gallery/albums/Taiwanese-female/7F---Joe-Chen-Qiao-En/thumb_cd5c39df286c68384854039a.jpg[/img][/url]

2 dramas (Easy Fortune Happy Life + Take Care of You, Accompanied by the Lights) = $11.7million
6 endorsements = $24million

This year, many other artists shot to fame who are also worth mentioning. ‘My Queen’s Cheryl Yang has estimated earnings of $22million and Ethan Ruan has close to $20million. ‘Story Of Time’s Tammy Chen and ‘Black & White’s Mark Zhao also each raked in tens of millions of revenue.

note: all figures are in New Taiwan Dollars (NT$)
[b]Click [url="http://asianfanatics...-of-2009/"]here[/url] for the list of the Top-Earning Taiwanese Singers of 2009[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDOQhaRZcI[/media]

[spoiler]sarah: so that’s why rainie wasn’t on the other list.. they classified her as an actress XD
I suppose it makes sense since she’s always doing idol dramas
and yay for jerry :D[/spoiler]

Edited by ♥ InitialE, 05 December 2009 - 02:31 PM.
added new link

#2 bebu_star

bebu_star

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

wow! The gaps between the actors/actresses are really big....

But the top 5 were kinda expected since they're all pretty big stars XD

#3 doraemon♡JAY

doraemon♡JAY

无与伦比 <33

• Forum Crew
  • 4993 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

u know.. singers make soo much more than actors.. its pretty ridiculous.
the previous list were all in hundreds of million.. this ones all in tens of million >.<

#4 gta007

gta007

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Wow! Actors get like nothing compared to singers...

#5 afel

afel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

That true. They should get more money.

#6 ^_xiao_lian_^

^_xiao_lian_^

pudding no. 138

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

Okay, so as expected, Jerry is still on the top of the list. Still the same as last year, Jerry and Rainie topped the list.

Congrats to zaizai!!!!! clapclap

I wonder why it's only top 5. It should be top 10.

What place Arron Yan would be in????

#7 ♥hippo-holic♥

♥hippo-holic♥

-certified Seomate-

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5474 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

yay congrats to zaizai and joe cheng.

but yeah they should earn more.

#8 SpoiledSkies

SpoiledSkies

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Congrats to everyone! Especially Jerry Yan, but it's not a big surprise LOL

#9 YunHo♥neyBunny

YunHo♥neyBunny

UKnowYunho

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7288 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

[color="#000080"][font="Georgia"]Yeah, not surprised to see the top 5 lists..
But I would expected to see Ariel in the list too.
Anyway, congratulation to all of them![/font][/color]

#10 angeliesa

angeliesa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

[quote name='ProudOfLoving♥Uknow' date='03 December 2009 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1259842116' post='6464304']
[/quote]

Me too since both her and Joe basically have the same projects like LoB, albums, stage plays and career path. Dunno~

Congrats Jerry, Vic, Joe Zheng, Joe Chen and YEY~ Rainie. So proud of her.

Agree to all of you. Such a big difference between the earnings of actors/actresses and the singers.

#11 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25783 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

its really jerry? wow i would have thought its ming dao because he had so many dramas out at the time.
im surprise ariel isnt there she is doing alot of projects too.
oh well congrats to everyone who made the list.

#12 bitcomet79

bitcomet79

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

didn't know that Jerry was the highest earner.....i also hope ariel was in the top 5 :D

#13 Gibberish.

Gibberish.

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

Congratulations to them all!

The amount singers vs actors/actresses earn... :shock I mean Jerry Yan and Zaizai are considered big shot pretty much like the tops for singers.

Edited by Gibberish., 03 December 2009 - 03:30 PM.

#14 josslyn

josslyn

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5369 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

congrats to jerry!! :thumbsup :iloveyou:
top earner this year again, wohoo~~

#15 uncchristine99

uncchristine99

TEAM JACOB!

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1327 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ah ha... well most of these "actors" can be considered "singers" too. I wonder why Rainie's album isn't accounted for? It was released at the end of 08 (I think December?) but I'm sure it made sales figures in 09. She would be closer to Jerry but still might not top him though... unless she made over $6.5 million off album sales. Either way... great list!

#16 candygurl

candygurl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

i'm shocked to see jerry as the number 1 earner.
really did not expect dat.
well congratz to them. that is alot of money dei earned.

Edited by candygurl, 03 December 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#17 zunhua1810

zunhua1810

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

I can't believe Jerry earned 18 million in Down With Love! Because as far as the news is concerned, they only paid Ella 4 million or so. I just don't know if it's true. To think that even if Jerry is The Jerry Yan, Ella can't be far behind from him. Although in drama arena, Ella is not that active, I don't think she's less of a star and really, Ella did the hardest thing one can imagine in that drama!

Talking about being fair with regards to male and female artistes...

#18 gems05

gems05

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

[quote name='ProudOfLoving♥Uknow' date='03 December 2009 - 07:08 AM' timestamp='1259842116' post='6464304']
[/quote]

Ariel didn't have a lot of projects in 2009...a CD and a play. I'm hoping that after her theater run, she will come back to dramas in 2010 and get lots of endorsement deals.

But the pay difference between singers and actors is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Endorsements make up the bulk of the difference...are singers just more popular in general?

#19 tdrama*addict

tdrama*addict

AF Official Translator

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

haha, that's why a lot of actors and actresses eventually want to make a debut album...cause they make so much more!! haha..
and wow, there's such a big difference between jerry and the other actors for the pay of just one drama!!! pretty BIG difference too!

#20 sytwo

sytwo

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7355 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

Wow, Jerry is No. 1 again! And Joe has climbed up a lot!

Good to see ZZ back on the list. For the 2 dramas, I believe that for B&W it is only partial payment of NTD300,000. Maybe balance payment or something.

The singers sure earn A LOT more than the actors/ actresses. I think their concerts alone is a HUGE amount.

#21 genmaicha

genmaicha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

There's such a big gap between what singers and actors/actresses earn. The actors still earn a lot, but it's nothing compared to the singers lol. But yeah, endorsement deals make up the bulk of the difference.
And wow, Jerry earns $18 million just for one drama? He sure does earn a lot more than the other popular actors/actresses.

#22 sytwo

sytwo

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7355 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Oops, made a mistake. The partial payment for B&W for ZZ should be NTD3million, not NTD300,000.

(Don't know why I can't edit my original post).

#23 swimfishyswim06

swimfishyswim06

Dancing with the daffodils

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4536 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

Wow, congrats to the Top 5. I can't say I'm particularly surprised. Jerry's #1 again, Rainie moved up a spot from last year, and all of the other actors make sense, too. Joe and Joe both made it in the top 5, like I expected they would (yay!) I honestly don't even think Ariel necessarily made it into the top 10 this year, because of her surgery and recovery period - plus, she didn't do a single drama or movie this year. I hope she'll do a drama or movie or two next year, though; I really miss seeing her onscreen. I'm really happy that Zai Zai's on this year's list, too. Congrats to Cheryl, Ethan, Tammy and Mark as well - they've all worked hard for their money. I wonder if we'll see Barbie (Da S) on the list next year, since she's been in some big box office movies and does some pretty high-end endorsements. (Actually, I'm kind of surprised that she wasn't mentioned). It is interesting how much less actors/actresses make than singers in Taiwan.

#24 myarakech

myarakech

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

yay! jerry is number 1! congrats!! [img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif[/img] - he's also a singer so shouldnt he be earning more than this?[img]http://images.asianfanatics.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

and rainie too!! oh i love her :) ...

#25 moon_luv

moon_luv

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

I was kind of surprised that Ariel Lin was not on the list. When i first read the title-i immediatly thought of Ariel and Jerry Yan!
But congrats to the winners!

#26 waichang

waichang

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

good for all of them... they sure got lots to spend now.. jajaja.... congrats....

#27 YunHo-Takki <3

YunHo-Takki <3

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

woaahh!!
congratulations!
hope u will earn more next year!!
:D

#28 Almontel

Almontel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

Whoah, congrats to Rainie and everyone else. she really did a lot this year didn't she? love her! to think that 3 of the MG casts are still up and running...great news indeed...

#29 D.Dreams

D.Dreams

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

Congrats to everyone on the list =) Thought they'd earn more than that tho. I wish i could see moer of the list.

#30 nikitaangel

nikitaangel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:57 AM

[quote name='Jiriel' date='03 December 2009 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1259860010' post='6464600']
There's such a big gap between what singers and actors/actresses earn. The actors still earn a lot, but it's nothing compared to the singers lol. But yeah, endorsement deals make up the bulk of the difference.
And wow, Jerry earns $18 million just for one drama? He sure does earn a lot more than the other popular actors/actresses.
[/quote]

To singers, solo concerts and appearing in various multi-artistes concerts events earned them more than album sales. New Year's eve concerts are one of the events where singers can make money. In Taiwan, a singer, by clever juggling, can appear in 3-4 New Year's eve concerts in 1 night, so its consider a plum earning $$$$ time. And recently with China also having New Year's eve concert in various regions and inviting singers from Taiwan and Hong Kong , there are even more choices.

I remember once a veteran singer saying that thank god for the various invites from China for the various concerts events held there, otherwise he wont be making much money just by releasing albums.

Edited by nikitaangel, 04 December 2009 - 05:01 AM.

#31 utahime

utahime

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

OMG :shock I mean after all they are actors singers and models :yeah so keep up :V :V :V :V

#32 chinoischick

chinoischick

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

Wasn't Rainie in 2 drama this year? Tomorrow with Jiro and Hi my sweetheart with Show.

#33 roba♥jaejoong

roba♥jaejoong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

congrats to jerry.. and I am so happy for Zai Zai success..^^

#34 eiz

eiz

♫ ♥...♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:24 AM

i am surprise with QE being on the fifth spot..
i didn't know she earn that much this year.. i thought others gets more pay than her..haha i was expecting some other actors/ actress who was not in the list of top 5. :tricky:

Edited by eiz, 04 December 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#35 mandamuzic41

mandamuzic41

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

i already expect rainie to be included in the top 5...
she has lots of endorsements...

but,...jerry is really THE BEST! :worship

#36 josslyn

josslyn

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5369 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

[quote name='zunhua1810' date='03 December 2009 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1259854409' post='6464517']
I can't believe Jerry earned 18 million in Down With Love! Because as far as the news is concerned, they only paid Ella 4 million or so. I just don't know if it's true. To think that even if Jerry is The Jerry Yan, Ella can't be far behind from him. Although in drama arena, Ella is not that active, I don't think she's less of a star and really, Ella did the hardest thing one can imagine in that drama!

Talking about being fair with regards to male and female artistes...
[/quote]do you think gtv will pay jerry 18 million if he wasn't worth this amount?? well, of course they paid him such a high amount cos his dramas sells for high prices overseas, especially non-chinese markets like japan, korea, phillippines etc. it really isn't that much of a gender difference.

anyway, it's indeed true ella is more active in singing as compared to acting. and she has already earned a large amount from singing and commercials, if you had read the other article.

#37 SHANCAI_JLIN17

SHANCAI_JLIN17

barbie fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9872 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

[quote name='swimfishyswim06' date='03 December 2009 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1259861723' post='6464627']
Wow, congrats to the Top 5. I can't say I'm particularly surprised. Jerry's #1 again, Rainie moved up a spot from last year, and all of the other actors make sense, too. Joe and Joe both made it in the top 5, like I expected they would (yay!) I honestly don't even think Ariel necessarily made it into the top 10 this year, because of her surgery and recovery period - plus, she didn't do a single drama or movie this year. I hope she'll do a drama or movie or two next year, though; I really miss seeing her onscreen. I'm really happy that Zai Zai's on this year's list, too. Congrats to Cheryl, Ethan, Tammy and Mark as well - they've all worked hard for their money. I wonder if we'll see Barbie (Da S) on the list next year, since she's been in some big box office movies and does some pretty high-end endorsements. (Actually, I'm kind of surprised that she wasn't mentioned). It is interesting how much less actors/actresses make than singers in Taiwan.
[/quote]
me too, I was surprised that barbie was not on the list b/c it was mentioned on barbie
news that she's one of the top earners this yr.I was thinking maybe b/c most of her works was
outside taiwan & they did not include her HK movies.

#38 triangel

triangel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

have rather thought it's joe cheng, but great he;s in the top ranking too!

#39 elviedecastro

elviedecastro

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1687 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

[quote name='barbie 8' date='04 December 2009 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1259927718' post='6465736']
me too, I was surprised that barbie was not on the list b/c it was mentioned on barbie
news that she's one of the top earners this yr.I was thinking maybe b/c most of her works was
outside taiwan & they did not include her HK movies.
[/quote]

This report on earnings is solely for idol drama actors and actress. [b]Barbie[/b] is already categorized under movie actors and actresses and last year she was among the 10 top earners. I wouldn't be surprise if she is again included in the 10 top earners this year having so many movie projects and endorsements she made this year.

Edited by elviedecastro, 04 December 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#40 forget-m3-n0t

forget-m3-n0t

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Yeahh Joe Chan i knew it !!!!
Man this Taiwanese actor&actress earn way more than the Hong kong artiste .............I not sure if the value money of tawain and hong kong are difference but ...they sure earn A LOT more than hong kong artise