AF needs funding again

Photo

Eric is paid 30 billion won for each episode in drama Choi Kang Chil Woo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25783 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:50 AM

Shinhwa member Eric returns to TV as the highest-paid singer-turned-actor.

In the new KBS2 series that is scheduled for broadcast from June, Choi Gang Chil Woo (working title / produced by Park Man Young), Eric is expected to receive 30 million won per episode. If the ratings are higher than expected or if the rights to the drama are sold to other territories, his fees will further increase.

Eric is apparently the highest paid singer-turned-actor in the industry. Korea's highest-paid actor Bae Yong Joon reportedly received 2 billion won per episode for MBC drama The Legend, and thus making a cool 50 billion won for the whole series.

The reason for Eric's high fees is his status as a Hallyu star. As a member of Shinhwa, Eric is a star in Japan and he's also well known as an actor there through his dramas such as "Bulsae" and "Super Rookie". The reason for the production team behind "Choi Gang Chil Woo" choosing a Hallyu star for this project is exactly this - there are special plans for the drama to be aired in Japan.

If the plans for Japan proceed, Eric will receive royalties from the Japan activities as well. A KBS spokesperson said, "Choi Gang Chil Woo is the biggest project for KBS this summer. We're looking forward to attracting overseas acquisitions for the drama with Eric as the selling point."

"Choi Gang Chil Woo" is a 20-episode sageuk drama.

Source: sports hankook &oceans
Chi trans: jojoyu7@shinhwachina
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

#2 nicrye

nicrye

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

wow.......30million per episode.. :shocked: ???
thats lots of money.....omg.....
oppa....i want to marry you :whistle :iloveyou: .....hahaha :lol?:

#3 nadine

nadine

love ya!!!!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7753 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:21 AM

aish
eric that's why u are so cool
30 mil per ep
is like woo....
aish

but the new drama is interesting
and it will be aired on kbs world
so yeah
ha ha ha
:P

#4 lotus_flower

lotus_flower

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

Eric is worth the money..U GO OPPA

#5 phiphi_aff

phiphi_aff

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

The money seem too much. Bae Yong Joon, a big Hallyu star made 50 mil. won for the whole Legend series. If Eric is making 30 mil.won per episode, that is 600 mil. wons for Choi Gang Chil Woo drama (20 episodes). It's 12 times more than BYJ's fees!!!

#6 tony_y2k5

tony_y2k5

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

I think these production companies pay way tooo much for top stars. The big portion go to the stars fees, that's why the rest of the budget is lacking causing poor quality for the drama. I don't think Eric is worth that much. He's a big star, but his last 2 dramas didn't perform that well did they?. I remember watching que sera sera and it was sooo boring with the usual storyline that is so predictable. To stop the Hallyu wave from declining as its already reached its peak, script writers should make their dramas more fresh and interesting. I'm a big kdrama fan but even i couldn't bear to watch some of the dramas at the moment because it seems like they lack individuality for instance 'Bad Love' with top star KSW.

#7 KST_CICHLID

KST_CICHLID

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

Source: http://krfilm.net/f/...trong-drama-moi
Etrans: trangnhung@KST_CICHLID
Please give us proper credits if you copy it to the other sites. Thank you!

Actor that comes from boyband Shinwa - Eric has been on the top of actors getting highest paid when playing in a drama.

Eric will play the lead role in historical drama Choi Kang Chil Woo which is aired from June in KBS2 with the compensation of 30 millions won each episode. Besides, he will get extra bonus if film has high ratings or sells copyright overseas.

So, Eric is the actor that comes from a singer who receives highest paid. Bae Yong Joon keeps the highest record when he was paid 200 millions won for each episode in Legend. Kwon Sang Woo takes the second place with 100 millions won each episode in Bad love.

The production company said they pay Eric that much because he is a Hallyu star. The boyband Shinwa in which he is the leader is very popular in Japan and China. Besides, Eric also showed his talent in other dramas such as Fire Bird and New Staff.

Production company and KBS2 television station intend to launch an advertisement campaign in Japan. If this campaign bears fruit, Eric will get extra bonus apart from his paid.

KBS television station said "Choi Kang Chil Woo is the biggest plan of KBS this summer. We hope that this drama will attract attention of foreign film importer due to Eric's appearance".

Choi Kang Chil Woo is a historical drama which lasts 20 episodes and will be aired from June 9.

Historical image of Eric in drama New Staff of MBC in 2005.

#8 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

...fool you, he is not that good an actor...hated him in Phoenix, he is a reactor.. I cannot see any depth in any thing he has done

#9 gems05

gems05

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (phiphi_aff @ Mar 26 2008 8 30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The money seem too much. Bae Yong Joon, a big Hallyu star made 50 mil. won for the whole Legend series. If Eric is making 30 mil.won per episode, that is 600 mil. wons for Choi Gang Chil Woo drama (20 episodes). It's 12 times more than BYJ's fees!!!

Bae Yong Jun made 250 million won per episode of Legend. He was paid approximately 6 BILLION won for the entire series. Eric still has a long way to go to beat BYJ's record.

Anyways, 30 million won per episode is not that high. It's only $30,000 in U.S. dollars which means that Eric is probably making half a million dollars for the entire series. It's a lot of money but an ordinary 5th year investment banker makes more than that.

#10 alfiesgal

alfiesgal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Grayson @ Mar 26 2008 10 03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...fool you, he is not that good an actor...hated him in Phoenix, he is a reactor.. I cannot see any depth in any thing he has done

Reacting is part of acting out relationships between people. Just like listening is crucial for a great conversation - not just shooting your mouth off with everyone else as your passive audience. (although a lot of award-bait acting does this; movies are about spectacle and worshipping a "Great Man or Woman".)

I think Eric's problem isn't reacting, but saying the same few things everytime camera comes in for a close-up of his reaction. A lot of pop idols do this because they were never trained in acting. They save face & hide their lack of acting knowledge, by staying detached (as either cool bad boy, or elegant rich boy.) Of course some of us don't even care, if we watch for their charms and looks!

As for Eric in Phoenix, I believe that was his first drama and yes - Lee Eunjoo did all the hard work!

#11 ginnie23

ginnie23

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

I don't really care how much he is paid...as long as he gets the job done. LOL.

And speaking of his acting job, I think he has gradually improved from his Bulsae/Phoenix days to Que Sera Sera.

His first acting job was Running..which was considerably okay performance for a newcomer. It proved that he has screen presence but lacked experience.

Second acting job was Firebird/Bulsae. Bulsae was great due to the entire ensemble. Yet again, Eric used more of his screen presence and dialogue to compensate for his lack of experience/skills. Who can dismiss the lines in Bulsae? Corny lines but people liked it. As a newcomer though, that drama gave him a chance to shine in the dramaworld and transition to acting from his Shinhwa days. He grabbed Best Newcomer awards then..I believe.

Super Rookie - Good transition to acting. I always though Eric was more comedic than corny. So, this role was perfect for him. The transition from the dashing, rich, cocky Bulsae role to down-to-earth, hilarious and messy Super Rookie character was astonishingly good for a new actor. I finally saw him as an actor in this series. Again, he grabbed Best Actor awards that year for his role.

QUE SERA SERA - Now, this was the series that I love, love, love. Que Sera Sera is definitely not very everybody. The plot was daring and unusually darker than your common k-drama. It was a daring role for Eric. Plus, the pairing between Eric and the female lead was unbelievably good. His character, Kang Tae Joo....was sexy, charming and egotistic. Eric was brave in his role, not caring for his image and honest in his performance. I appreciated that.

#12 sportaylil1

sportaylil1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

wow thats a lot....kinda over paid i would say...well lets hope this drama is worth it hehe :P

#13 nadine

nadine

love ya!!!!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7753 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Grayson @ Mar 27 2008 5 03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well fool me
and lots more i guess since considering the fact that he is among the A list of actors in korea
dude phoenix is like long time ago and pls i like his character in that drama...

QUOTE (sportaylil1 @ Mar 27 2008 8 25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow thats a lot....kinda over paid i would say...well lets hope this drama is worth it hehe :P

what do u mean over paid... it is like only usd 30,000 and he can actually generate much more profit in any drama he is in...
so it well worth it especially for an ancient drama where it will took lots more work than any modern one
:P
he well deserved it
aish...
<_<