AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Which Taiwan Celebrities know how to speak cantonese or has a canto background?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 a_z_n_dreamcatcher

a_z_n_dreamcatcher

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

well...i've been looking at some tawian actor/actress/singers profile and i have realised that some of them know how to speak canto or even have a canto background....so i was interested in knowing which other taiwan celebrities know canto or has a canto background...

HERE ARE SOME I KNOW:
wuZun
jiro
rainie

#2 spirit

spirit

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1916 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

i know for sure that leehom and alan kuo speak cantonese really well.
alan says that although he sings in mandarin, he's better at speaking cantonese.

#3 tdrama*addict

tdrama*addict

AF Official Translator

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

rainie can speak a bit canto!! cause i believe her dad's side was not taiwanese or something? well all i know is rainie's dad can speak canto, so she learned a little from him when she was little? before they divorced? but yeah, rainie's canto is pretty good for a taiwanese :)

#4 Aspire

Aspire

Sweet and Spicy

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7568 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

I remember listening to CoCo Lee speaking Cantonese. I was quite surprised because I didn't know she is Canto-literated!

Jiro doesn't really speak Cantonese. If you listen to his Cantonese you'll find out. He wasn't born being taught Cantonese, although his origin is Cantonese.

#5 a_z_n_dreamcatcher

a_z_n_dreamcatcher

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

yea..thats wat i mean
he has a canto background
but his canto is like :thumbdown

#6 ECENTERPRISE

ECENTERPRISE

ZZ Junkies Ghost

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

I only know of Ken Zhu.....I heard him sing and talk Cantonese...But I don't know of it's good....

#7 RayMich

RayMich

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Jacky Chu [member from 183 club]
he really good and fluent at speaking cantonese

#8 bokki

bokki

saRang ChangMin <33

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

i remember watching this S.H.E clip when they were in hong kong and selina could speak cantonese really well. its like so fluent and she doesnt seem to have any problems trying to speak it

#9 nightgurl

nightgurl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

HERE ARE SOME I KNOW:
wuZun
jiro
rainie

Jiro doesn't really speak Cantonese. If you listen to his Cantonese you'll find out. He wasn't born being taught Cantonese, although his origin is Cantonese.

Im cofused...?? when u say "cantonese" origin, do u mean like the person came from Hong Kong?? or do u mean like the person's family came from somewhere that spoke Cantonese???

becuse if u mean Hong Kong then,
Actually, Jiro does not have a cantonese origin . His family came from Guang Dong, China . Which is not in or is Hong Kong, tho the ppl in Guang Dong do speak also cantonese. it is near hong kong tho.
so actually if u mean "has a family origin from hong kong" then jiro does not apply. but if u mean a "person that has a family origin that speaks cantonese" then he would apply.

#10 woLUVARRONYAN!!!

woLUVARRONYAN!!!

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

it was on SCOOP when Joe (Cheng) was speaking cantonese
it was cute!

he only know a little cantonese
and he's still so cute!

#11 Transition

Transition

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5135 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Coco Lee, but she was born in Hong Kong and lived there for a couple of years before moving to U.S.A so she's bound to know how to speak Cantonese. Gary Cao is quite fluent as well. (if you consider him a Taiwanese celebrity)

ohh...really???? can u give me website if it is on the internet???

There are a few clips of Selina speaking Cantonese, but I think the one katherinekwokhk might be referring to is the clip below, as it is in that one she speaks Cantonese best. (start from 02:43)
Actually none of S.H.E's members know how to speak Cantonese fluently, Selina and Ella's pronunciation is quite good though. The three of them understand the dialect when it is spoken slowly.

http://www.youtube.c...Q...ted&search=

#12 miss scarlett

miss scarlett

chinked-out

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Im cofused...?? when u say "cantonese" origin, do u mean like the person came from Hong Kong?? or do u mean like the person's family came from somewhere that spoke Cantonese???

I am quite sure the poster is not referring to a limited Hong Kong origin. Hong Kong is still part of Guang Dong, so when someone mention about a Cantonese background, that not only applies to Hong Kong, but the overall Guang Dong area.

Jiro's origin is from Guang Dong, but he was raised in Taiwan, so he's considered Taiwanese instead. Jiro can only speak basic Cantonese? I'm pretty sure he understands the language pretty well but he sucks at speaking it, lol. I think Jiro's parents speak Cantonese.

When it comes to people who are not Cantonese but speaks Cantonese well, Wang Leehom and Wu Zun are quite fluent. They have a good accent too.

Is it true that Jacky Zhu can speak Cantonese? I didn't know that. :O MUST FIND CLIP!!

CoCo Lee is originally Cantonese. Both her parents are Cantonese and she was also raised in a Cantonese background. She started her career in Hong Kong but because she didn't get much famous in HK she went to Taiwan and that's when she got super popular.

Sam of 183 Club spoke Cantonese in AQMFS, but he sounded like he was memorizing the lines more than actually knowing how to speak it, lol. His Canto was quite stiff. Then again, I'm not surprised if he does understand Cantonese.

Edited by Scarlett, 02 August 2007 - 06:20 PM.

#13 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13388 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

I remember listening to CoCo Lee speaking Cantonese. I was quite surprised because I didn't know she is Canto-literated!

interesting tibbits on Jiro, i never knew that he can speak canto! and that his background is from Guang Dong! lol i dont know but i think that was where my parents were raised for a little bit? i can't remember!

either way CoCo Lee in my opinion is a disgrace, she tries too hard in the past to forget her cantonese background by speaking in english pretending she doesn't know any canton when she was in the USA.
heard she pissed off a few cantonese new reporters inteveiwing her way back when she told them to speak in ENGLISH. um...yeah...smooth move princess. :thumbdown

im not sure about her right now. but all i can say is i really dont like her.

#14 真命天子!

真命天子!

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

i know that mingdao can speak canto, find a clip of him with 183club on youtube in hongkong

#15 x3cookiemonster

x3cookiemonster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

Jiro's cantonese is so cuute!
i used to think he was fluent at cantonese because he came from a cantonese background. but oh well.
and Wu Zun's cantonese is pretty good! He speaks it the best out of Fahrenheit.

Edited by x3cookiemonster, 25 August 2007 - 11:33 AM.

#16 shippou8765

shippou8765

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

I know Ella can speak Canto very fluently. Because when i was watching their moving castle concert in HK they did talk in Cantonese.

#17 Fēi~ling

Fēi~ling

Christ The Lord

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3048 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

how about wang lee hong? and alan luo? i think they both can speak pretty good cantonese.

#18 x3cookiemonster

x3cookiemonster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:21 AM

Heres a video of Jiro speaking cantonese:

Wu Zun, Calvin & Jiro reading the script of Infernal Affairs:

Danson Tang & Wu Zun playing basketball in Hong Kong & they speak canto

#19 rOsie_pig

rOsie_pig

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

wow it's interesting to know that some many taiwanese artists can speak cantonese, in Magician of Love one of the 183Club member spoke a bit of canotnese, though it wasn't very fluent you can still understand what he is saying (sorry i don't remember his name)

#20 Fanny_333

Fanny_333

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

i think danson can speak canto too. i heard him when he promoted hana kimi with wu zun. its actually not that bad either.

#21 Snow0512

Snow0512

AF Official Translator

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

seems like wu zun knows quite many dialects/languages... must be due to his Brunei background? after all, it's a multi-racial country...

those who come from multi-racial countries would probably know cantonese as well... as mentioned above, Gary Cao. He's Malaysian, so it's not surprising he knows it.

Wang Lee Hom acted in a cross-country movie, China Strike Force (if i didn't remember wrongly) with Aaron Kwok some time ago. It was shot in Cantonese, so I guess of course he knows it. I wasn't noticing though; I was impressed by his English accent instead. So cool!! LOL...

oh i just remembered... in Engagement of Love, Ambrose Hsu plays a guy who grew up in HK. So he was speaking quite a lot of Cantonese in the front episodes, when he was in HK (the show's setting). His Cantonese is not bad, really... I didn't know he could speak it. It didn't sound like he just picked it up for the show, much better than Shao Wei in AQMFS but still can be improved. Hehe...

And since I mentioned this show, well... another person in this show who would know Cantonese would be Alex Du De Wei, since he's from HK... well, he's in Taiwan now, so... haha :)

#22 Izak He

Izak He

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

Well i kno that Guang Liang Speaks cantonese very well..lol (duh he sings canto songs) and Alan Kuo also cuz of his dad~

#23 Trinie

Trinie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:35 AM

THe only ones that I can think of are Coco Lee and Jacky Zhu(former 183 Club member). I know for sure Jacky can speak Cantonese because during their visit to Hong Kong last summer, he spoke it a lot and had to translate for the rest of 183 Club... He speaks it really well. Sam Wang of 183 also knows some, but it is really stiff since I think he only memorized some terms for the series...

#24 LYinH

LYinH

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Nicholas Teo can speak canto n sing very well too. Watched him speaking canto b4 in one of the programme aired in Malaysia TV.

#25 DBSK4ever~Junsu

DBSK4ever~Junsu

Always Keep The Faith -DBSK-

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

i heard Wu Zun, Ella, Jiro, Danson, and Guang Liang (Micheal) speak canto before.

Wu Zun spoke pretty good, Ella, Jiro and Danson were ok lah. I was surprised though when i heard Guang Liang talk in canto, it was quite fluent.

i didn't know that 183 Club, Jacky could talk canto, quite suprised.

#26 kuririn.lover

kuririn.lover

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:58 AM

jolin bahhs.
i rmb her having a song in canto.
the canto version of "jia zhuang"...
quite nice siahh. hee~

#27 nightgurl

nightgurl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

interesting tibbits on Jiro, i never knew that he can speak canto! and that his background is from Guang Dong! lol i dont know but i think that was where my parents were raised for a little bit? i can't remember!

either way CoCo Lee in my opinion is a disgrace, she tries too hard in the past to forget her cantonese background by speaking in english pretending she doesn't know any canton when she was in the USA.
heard she pissed off a few cantonese new reporters inteveiwing her way back when she told them to speak in ENGLISH. um...yeah...smooth move princess. :thumbdown

im not sure about her right now. but all i can say is i really dont like her.

Jiro is HALF Cantonese- from Guangdong. <i think it was his dad.>
But he himself actually doesn't know any Cantonese. he can't speak much other than greeting words and his hearing ability is not good either.
Wuzun knows alotta Cantonese tho.

Coco Lee a disgrace???
but wasn't she born in America?? she's an ABC rite? thatz why she can't speak cantonese.

#28 Snow0512

Snow0512

AF Official Translator

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

i thought wu zun was from a hokkien background??

I was referring to his nationality. Hokkien is a dialect, like Cantonese, for the Chinese. I'm not sure which dialect is common to him. But as I said, Brunei is multi-racial. So you would naturally know a few dialects or languages that the other races speak.

It's quite common that Malaysians can speak Canto, I would think. So it applies to Nicholas Teo, Guang Liang, Fish Leong, Zhang Zhi Chen etc...

#29 Trinie

Trinie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

To Fahrenheit2012, Yea, Jacky Chu from 183 can speak Cantonese.. I heard him speak it during their trip to HK last year. I was surprised that he can speak it so well too. Too bad I don't have any clips or else I would share it...

I didn't know that Fish Leong can speak Cantonese...

I don't think Coco lee was born in the US. I think she came here at a young age so her Chinese wasn't so great.. I don't think she meant to disgrace herself or anyone.. I think her Chinese just wasn't good enough at that time so she needed to conduct any interviews in English.

#30 shellstah__

shellstah__

Asian Fanatic

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

I know Ella can speak Canto very fluently. Because when i was watching their moving castle concert in HK they did talk in Cantonese.

I don't think Ella or Selina & Hebe can... they just learned a few words in canto because their concert was in HK and most people there speak canto.

wow it's interesting to know that some many taiwanese artists can speak cantonese, in Magician of Love one of the 183Club member spoke a bit of canotnese, though it wasn't very fluent you can still understand what he is saying (sorry i don't remember his name)

Sam Wang? I think he learned it for the show..I doubt he can speak it.

Coco Lee a disgrace???
but wasn't she born in America?? she's an ABC rite? thatz why she can't speak cantonese.

Just because somebody is ABC doesn't necessarily mean you can't speak cantonese.

rainie can speak a bit canto!! cause i believe her dad's side was not taiwanese or something? well all i know is rainie's dad can speak canto, so she learned a little from him when she was little? before they divorced? but yeah, rainie's canto is pretty good for a taiwanese :)

Rainie's origin is half cantonese, I believe.

#31 Rikayla

Rikayla

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Heres a video of Jiro speaking cantonese:

Wu Zun, Calvin & Jiro reading the script of Infernal Affairs:

Danson Tang & Wu Zun playing basketball in Hong Kong & they speak canto

Thanks for the links! Wu Chun's Cantonese is actually pretty good! Wouldn't say the same for the others though. LOL.

Wow. Selina's Cantonese is pretty good too~

#32 Elmomo

Elmomo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Fahrenheit can but with an accent, for promotional purposes. Wu Chun can because he used to live in Brunei.

#33 Conky*

Conky*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

Rainie has awesome canto! Apparently she was in a girlband in hk before but then they split up. She also spoke canto in a movie called Merry Go Round 《初戀喳麵》. Also, go listen to the song 理智與感情 by jason chan and rainie. Her accent is not that strong xD

#34 jokerjoey

jokerjoey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:15 AM

o wow i didn't know so many celebrities could speak cantonese. I only knew that ken zhu cou;d speak it really well..

#35 HikariRin

HikariRin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

jiro can speak cantonese?
not realli...like a few words?
At their HK Fahrenheit Fantasy Concert, they sang some old cantonese songs XD they had this realli heavy accent XDDD

Jay Chou can speak cantonese pretty good!!! O_O

#36 「kahing ♥」

「kahing ♥」

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

I know Rainie can speak it pretty well, although she has an accent, but she is still pretty good. But I think she has a Cantonese background or something. At least that is what I heard. Also, Chun too, his Cantonese is not that bad either. He improved since filming <Butterfly Lovers>. I think they said that he learned Cantonese by watching TVB series or something. Also, I think Show's Chinese is not that bad, not a big accent, but he doesn't know a lot of words though.

becuse if u mean Hong Kong then,
Actually, Jiro does not have a cantonese origin . His family came from Guang Dong, China . Which is not in or is Hong Kong, tho the ppl in Guang Dong do speak also cantonese. it is near hong kong tho.
so actually if u mean "has a family origin from hong kong" then jiro does not apply. but if u mean a "person that has a family origin that speaks cantonese" then he would apply.

Being Cantonese does not mean that you have to be from Hong Kong. There is a region, known as the Canto region in China(southern part), and Guang Dong is part of it. If you noticed, Cantonese is "Guang Dong Wah". So the people who are born in those regions are known as Cantonese people.

#37 Kuma215

Kuma215

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

hahah jiro's dad was canto so hes like half canto ^^

#38 Vanadia

Vanadia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Jacky Zhu can definitely speak Canto really well, as several posters have already said, but of course so can his elder brother, singer/songwriter James Zhu Qiang Bo.

#39 bsai

bsai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Alec Su You Peng speaks cantonese, with accent though. But I was really impressed though, as I never knew he could speak cantonese. Cos he has always been mainly in Taiwan and Mainland China. There are a few clips on youtube where his interviews are in cantonese. Very cute, love it! Posted Image

#40 Vanadia

Vanadia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Where Jacky and James Zhu (Chu) are concerned, I don't know if they have any Cantonese background or not. One story I heard was that when they were growing up in Vancouver, they had Cantonese-speaking babysitters. But I don't know if that is true or not.
With Sam Wang speaking a bit of Cantonese in some of the idol dramas of the mid-2000s, I heard it was Jacky who taught him how to say a few things,

Sam Wang certainly speaks Hokkien very convincingly. I loved his role in the 2012 Settv Hokkien drama, Qian Shou. Jacky also had a roie in the 2012 Hakka drama, Jump! Cheerleader. He spoke some Hakka in it, but I don't know if he really speaks it, or had a dialogue coach for his lines.