AF needs funding again

Photo

Kungfu Master's Grandson Loses Defamation Lawsuit Against Jet Li Film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 xbunnylicious

xbunnylicious

Asian Fanatic

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3935 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

www.crienglish.com

The grandson of Kungfu master Huo Yuanjia has lost a lawsuit against producers and distributors of Jet Li's biographical film at the Beijing First Intermediate People's Court, where the case was heard on Tuesday.   

The court ruled that the film "Huo Yuanjia", or "Fearless", was an exaggerated and fictitious portrait of the late Huo, one of China's most revered martial arts masters, but contained no defamatory or libelous depictions.  

Huo Shoujin, 81, Huo Yuanjia's only surviving grandson on the Chinese mainland, had said the film contained fabrications of his grandfather's life and character, and it besmirched his reputation.

Huo filed a lawsuit in March, seeking a halt to the worldwide release of the film, and a written public apology.  

Defendants included Jet Li, Beijing Film Studio under the China Film Group Corporation, the producer of the film, and Beijing-based Anle Film Company, the distributor.   

Huo (1869--1910) was the founder and spiritual leader of the Jing Wu Federation, a martial arts organization in the early 1900s.

The film opened in January and portrays Huo as a man, who killed many innocent people for sport. It also shows Huo's redemption and eventual self-fulfillment through his unrequited love for a blind girl. The film shows Huo's family being murdered,and his death without any heirs.   

Yang Zhongkai, the plaintiff's lawyer, said they would consider appealing the ruling.

#2 wchoi

wchoi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

although i dont know whats the real story behind huo yuanjia but i understand why his grandson would be suing the film company because they are talking a lot about about huo yuanjia's life and who knows how much is true? this true stories could lead to a lot of things, but Jet Li is still a kick ass kung fu actor.

#3 kmingy

kmingy

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1894 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

no one really takes these kinda movies for real facts. it's very obvious some things are fictional n cannot be trusted. there's no need to worry so much but i think in a way d grandson is just trying to do his part...at least exert some effort n doing something about it.

#4 Havoc

Havoc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

I don't know why he's upset. Cause the movie doesn't make the guy look that bad. I mean sure it starts off with him being immature and an asshole. But he was young. Cause as he got older, and learned more about life, he became a very good person. He turned his life around and became a leader for the Chinese people. So actaully the movie made him look good.

#5 P ๑۩۞۩๑

P ๑۩۞۩๑

╤р╤

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1403 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

well nobody really thinks like that he indeed is a great man but the movie says he is a arrogant person killing people. And of course if its a biography it should be based on facts I think the man is right for suing. I mean if you think about it if your grandfather was a heroic soldier and many people look up to him then a movie comes out saying he kills innocent people for fun and his whole family died meanwhile you are still alive... I think anyone would be pissed... how bout another way of saying it is you dont really have a great grandfather since well he didnt have any family left for you to be his grandson.