AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Ching Chang Chong

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
371 replies to this topic

#1 alice183

alice183

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

i live in germany. lots of ppl (germans and foreigner especially turkey ppl) always say "ching chang chong" to me and my siblings..i ignore it....but i really hate that
one time my cousin beat up with that boy who said that to him...

do ppl in other countries also said that to chinese?
what do u do if they said that`?
and btw someone know what ching chang chong means?

#2 jackkool

jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:27 PM

do ppl in other countries also said that to chinese?
what do u do if they said that`?
and btw someone know what ching chang chong means?

Its said a lot in England, they ching chang chong to mock chinese language, they find it amusing. They are ignorant and racist people.

#3 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

I don't exactly think they mean in it a racist way, but sure it's quite annoying. They think it's funny, but we hear it all the time and it's sometimes getting on my nerves. Mostly I will scold them back in my own Chinese language or I'll simply ignore it if they are with a bunch of. If they are friends of my friends, I will probably say in a sarcastic way that they are wrong and eventually everything will end with a joke and some laughings. But lately I haven't heard any of these things anymore, I used to hear it often when I was younger, but when people grow older, more mature, they will keep this in their minds. That's likely more respectful :)

#4 jackkool

jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:04 PM

I don't exactly think they mean in it a racist way, but sure it's quite annoying. They think it's funny, but we hear it all the time and it's sometimes getting on my nerves. Mostly I will scold them back in my own Chinese language or I'll simply ignore it if they are with a bunch of. If they are friends of my friends, I will probably say in a sarcastic way that they are wrong and eventually everything will end with a joke and some laughings. But lately I haven't heard any of these things anymore, I used to hear it often when I was younger, but when people grow older, more mature, they will keep this in their minds. That's likely more respectful :)

Your being to nice JTO, when somebody mocks a language whether it be chinese, Indian, a african language,etc
it shows a lack of respect they mock you because you're not the same ethnic group and you have another language if you were the same as ethnic group as them they wouldn't be mocking the language. Its not something that comes out of nowhere they have a whole string of prejudices built up over time and mocking the language is one outlet, make no mistake about it, its racism and they mean to be racist.

#5 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

They do this type of thing in almost any country. I had to deal with this for years but now in college, and in the "real world" a lot less people are that ignorant. The best thing to do would be to say something fluently in english right after they say that to you, it usually shuts them up. I found that insults don't really work, so either ignore them or just disprove that stereotype.

#6 KarmaKills

KarmaKills

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:16 AM

once this caucasian dude in my summer school 2 years ago said to me "ching chang chong" and im not even chinese. some ppl need to tell the differences of each asian language -_-

#7 andy93

andy93

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

Most people who say this sort of thing are doing it with an intent to hurt or get a reaction out of you. That's why I ignore it. The words only hold as much power as you let them have.

Coming from a friend, they are probably just joking around. "Wow I didn't know you spoke Chinese!"

#8 frap

frap

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

i live in sydney, and hardly any one has said that to me...
the only ones that have were skips who didn't know better

I just ask them if they:
i) knew what it meant? (tell them it means "I am lame" or smth)
ii) how stupid they sound when there's like...2-3 other azns anywhere anyway.
iii) start mocking w/e race they are anyway~

I did have a lil punch-up with a guy who said that to me...when i was in yr 9
I regret bashing him up now but that didn't stop me from kicking him on the ground saying, "Ching Chong THIS!"

='(
feel sorry for that guy now

But those are usually teens anyway
In reality, no adult would really say that if they wanted to look intelligent. It rather does make them look ridiculous (especially if you walk up to them and ask them if they're okay and want to take a panadol)

#9 meteorangela

meteorangela

chau chau ♡ 小方

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:41 AM

yeah it's common. but mostly mature people don't say it ..
i think they say it because that's what our language sounds like. which is why people shouldn't speak chinese to one another infront of white people because it is really quite rude.

#10 87ers

87ers

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

LoL, yea i get this a lot too. I find it quite annoying but I just shrug it off because they only do it due to the fact they cant understand chinese. There is a saying, "Only a fool mocks that which he does not understand"

yeah it's common. but mostly mature people don't say it ..
i think they say it because that's what our language sounds like. which is why people shouldn't speak chinese to one another infront of white people because it is really quite rude.

why is it rude? if we arent talking to them then why should we speak in english? if they dont like the sound of it then they should mind their own business and be somewhere else

#11 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Your being to nice JTO, when somebody mocks a language whether it be chinese, Indian, a african language,etc
it shows a lack of respect they mock you because you're not the same ethnic group and you have another language if you were the same as ethnic group as them they wouldn't be mocking the language. Its not something that comes out of nowhere they have a whole string of prejudices built up over time and mocking the language is one outlet, make no mistake about it, its racism and they mean to be racist.

How did you know I'm JTO? :P

But anyway, it depends on the content. Sometimes when I've a talk with my friends about Asian stuff and they are quite unexperienced on this case, they might sometimes say these kind of stuff. When they do that, I do remind them in a subtle way that I don't like it and it likely won't happen again. But lately hearing Ching Chang Chong is quite rare in my area, they will mostly say konnichwa or either ni hao. When they do, I'll make them look stupid, since it's easier for us to define the kind of language and manipulate it. I don't think the mattter will resolve if you get a fight with them, the best way is to let it end with a joke and likely next time they won't say it again, since it's quite embarrasing for them to get dissed again.

87ers, if you live a in country which main language is English, then it's better to use that language. It's kind of irritating if you don't understand what people are saying, what if they talked turkish, I bet that would be irritating too, so I mostly will talk in Dutch, second Chinese if needed for the elders.

#12 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

LoL, yea i get this a lot too. I find it quite annoying but I just shrug it off because they only do it due to the fact they cant understand chinese. There is a saying, "Only a fool mocks that which he does not understand"
why is it rude? if we arent talking to them then why should we speak in english? if they dont like the sound of it then they should mind their own business and be somewhere else

Exactly, why shouldn't we be able to speak Chinese infront of others, it's not rude at all. No one is forcing them to listen, and no one is telling them to complain, if they don't like it, it just sounds like hate.

#13 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

People do expect foreigners to acclimatize a bit in their own culture. They don't have to maintain another culture, but I do find it important for them to at least speak the motherlanguage in front of other people. Likely they don't have to hear what we're saying, it's none of their business. But to hear a strange language inside the bus is simply strange and sometimes irritating. Respect the country norms and try to talk their language. You live there, so why talk in another language? I only do it, to make jokes or explain it to the eldery, otherwise it's mostly Dutch :)

#14 TawnyKira

TawnyKira

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:01 PM

I have never heard anyone say something like that and I myself have definitely never said it. I find mocking anyone due to their race/language/appearance to be disgusting! Personally I think that other languages are intriguing and I just wish I understood what the people are saying! (hence why I am studying different languages....)

#15 Roy88

Roy88

Supreme Leader of my Life

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

Mocking others due to language or race or religion is the stupidest thing a human being can do.
This only shows that that human being is retarded, racist and living in the past, where people use grunts, shrieks and screams to communciate (if you know what period I'm talking about).

#16 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

People do expect foreigners to acclimatize a bit in their own culture. They don't have to maintain another culture, but I do find it important for them to at least speak the motherlanguage in front of other people. Likely they don't have to hear what we're saying, it's none of their business. But to hear a strange language inside the bus is simply strange and sometimes irritating. Respect the country norms and try to talk their language. You live there, so why talk in another language? I only do it, to make jokes or explain it to the eldery, otherwise it's mostly Dutch :)

Nah, its called freedom and privacy. Most white men (and others) don't speak asian languages when they come to asia, why should be be bowing down and speaking english in the US (or other english speaking countries)? Most people come to a certain country for opportunity, any race/ethnicity. Most of them don't know crap about the country and work to support themself in that country, or support their families back home.

What kind of place would it be if my grandma was forced to speak english to her friends that can barely communicate in that language? Sorry, thats a no go. People can be as pissed as they want, but in the end, there's freedom of speech, and all that crap. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, they are still teaching foreign languages in schools aren't they? Thought so :pleh

#17 Cherrilicious LaLa

Cherrilicious LaLa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

sh*t thats not rite. it doesnt mean nething, its just them making fun of us for what they think Chinese sounds like. just pure ignorance >:(

i had that problem when i was in like what elementary skool?? that sh*t just stopped after that cuz its immature n stupid.

cuz here in America or at least where i live, a lotta ppl of diff ethnicities say that they're proud of what they are which is prolly why not a lotta ppl do that mock language sh*t nemore. jeez ppl over.. no offense but are just plain immature.

but i'll admit, sum ppl do still make fun of others for bein Asians here, but no mock language.. maybe mocking our accents (which most born here don't have) or sayin stupid stereotypical crap like "Chinese ppl eat cats" or w/e

#18 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

Nah, its called freedom and privacy. Most white men (and others) don't speak asian languages when they come to asia, why should be be bowing down and speaking english in the US (or other english speaking countries)? Most people come to a certain country for opportunity, any race/ethnicity. Most of them don't know crap about the country and work to support themself in that country, or support their families back home.

What kind of place would it be if my grandma was forced to speak english to her friends that can barely communicate in that language? Sorry, thats a no go. People can be as pissed as they want, but in the end, there's freedom of speech, and all that crap. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, they are still teaching foreign languages in schools aren't they? Thought so :pleh

Yes, that's true, but it still rude and you can't deny this. About the white men for not talking in our language is also rude, but to use that as excuse then the world will go down. They don't live in that country, if they did, then I'm sure they are going to learn that language as well. I only said that we should talk in our native langauge, but if need then it's not so bad. I don't expect elders to talk the native language, but from the others I do expect it :pleh Why would you speak a foreign langauge if you can talk the native one? Just to show a bit respect.

#19 Aprily

Aprily

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

I use to say that when I was really little and wanted to try speaking chinese. I didnt know any chinese so i just said that. was not meant to be rude. but i only said it to myself. I think if you are older and you say it to others it's like wearing a giant "i am an idiot" sign.

by the way ....

"I just ask them if they:
i) knew what it meant? (tell them it means "I am lame" or smth)" <-- That is REALLY funny! I like you !!!!!

#20 jackkool

jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2478 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

How did you know I'm JTO? :P

I have a long memory and I am sentimental so I will usually refer to the first username that someone chose :P

But anyway, it depends on the content. Sometimes when I've a talk with my friends about Asian stuff and they are quite unexperienced on this case, they might sometimes say these kind of stuff. When they do that, I do remind them in a subtle way that I don't like it and it likely won't happen again. But lately hearing Ching Chang Chong is quite rare in my area, they will mostly say konnichwa or either ni hao. When they do, I'll make them look stupid, since it's easier for us to define the kind of language and manipulate it. I don't think the mattter will resolve if you get a fight with them, the best way is to let it end with a joke and likely next time they won't say it again, since it's quite embarrasing for them to get dissed again.

But nothing wrong with Ni hao right? That is just someone trying to be friendly.

Yes, that's true, but it still rude and you can't deny this. About the white men for not talking in our language is also rude, but to use that as excuse then the world will go down. They don't live in that country, if they did, then I'm sure they are going to learn that language as well. I only said that we should talk in our native langauge, but if need then it's not so bad. I don't expect elders to talk the native language, but from the others I do expect it :pleh Why would you speak a foreign langauge if you can talk the native one? Just to show a bit respect.

I think when people have been in England for years and years and don't speak the language they really just alienate themselves and give the government an excuse to tighten up immigration. I think thuggie's got a good point though when he says people go to asian countries and don't bother to learn the language. In the case of many Brits they tend to stick around in their little expat communites.

On a side note The coup in Thailand has had widespread coverage in England and I found that annoying because the only reason it recieved so much coverage is because there are so many Brits there if it wasn't for that I'm sure it would recieve hardly any coverage at all, sad that.

Edited by jackkool, 20 September 2006 - 09:33 PM.

#21 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

They mean ni hao in a spotting way, so it's quite sarcastic, but less worse than Ching Chang Chong. I haven't heard those three words for over 5 years :huh: :) Although thuggie got a nice point, why should we try to be the better example?

#22 lucky_star

lucky_star

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

i have that problem too when i was younger but not as much now (but it doesnt mean it doesnt happen)... i just say back to them in chinese to 'fall on the street', but hey, at least we know different languages that they dont

#23 V Wong

V Wong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

Well, I used to hear it a lot.. especially from ignorant African Americans? Cuz supposedly they're racist against asians? ^^;;; But what I would tell them is. "Oh, really? you're saying your a dumb*ss? Jeez, don't be so harsh on yourself." Then walk away...

#24 Guest_Jinpa_*

Guest_Jinpa_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:53 AM

LOL! My mommy is chinese, and i saw it to her when she gets mad at me and start yellin at me and my dad in canto XD... my dad is indian so he don't understand XD... IT'S HILARIOUS! she get frustrated and curse in canto, and me and daddy always go "ching chong chang" or something like that XD.... Then she just says "you two are hopeless" ^^.. I love my mommy <3

#25 Dark Cabbage

Dark Cabbage

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

It's not just for Chinese, but Asians in general. It's because our languages sound similar to that, especially when people use Chinese to represents the rest of the Asian population. Anyway, I don't think it has a significant meaning to it, because people are mainly using it as a way to mock Asian and their languages. Even in Australia, a so-called multicultural country, people still mock each other and be racist towards each other. The majority of them are European based nationalities, like Greeks, Macedonians, Italians, etc. They are not necessarily English/Anglo Saxons but they still act as if the country is theirs and so on. This only occurs with the second generation, that is, the ones born here. Throughout my school years from primary to secondary, I heard the same thing every year. I usually remind them that they themselves are migrants, or at least their parents were, and for those Anglo Saxons, their ancestors were convicts so they themselves are no better than us. As soon as I remind them of their awful history, they'd call me racist and so on. I remember beating up a Lebanese guy once for saying it (plus he made other remarks as well) and loosened a tooth of his. I never regret it though.

#26 ђŋ

ђŋ

"comet halley"

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

That sh*t really get me mad!!! Even if i ignore their stupidity, it's the same here in Panama with all asians. They think we are smaller than them and less stronger, they can mock us. But what they show is their ignorance on others' culture.

#27 el_rey

el_rey

[ SMILE ] :: el rey ::

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

In my country, people are civilised.

Kids arn't, kids are rarely and ever so uncivilised Lol...But yea never had that said to me...probably because theres all the hype bout gangs LOL...

Not even in primary has a kid said it to me...I went to catholic school at first but yea no kid was like that. And when i changed i wasn't around teh asians but still the westerners are all cool...

High school only some kids said it but their bigger seniors told em off after one of us hit the kid. They complained to them and got hit back for messing wit us Lol...

#28 Michelle.

Michelle.

Reita is my kind of bassist ^^

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7408 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:01 AM

No one has ever said it to me before...
But like some of my girl classmates (they're Chinese) and they call themselves "Ching, Chong, Chang, etc."
I didn't get what it meant before tho. =T
I guess now I do lol~

#29 diopatra

diopatra

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

here in the philippines i heard others refer to chinese as "shang kai shek" nothing degratory. just a name you refer to a chinese you dont know her/his name. i think they use it because of the language they use.

what does it mean any way?

#30 archange

archange

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

i live in France and it happens so many many times ... people saying 'ching chang chong' to me, i ignore them ... but sometimes i want to kill them -_-' ... just tired of it ...
kids also do that. that's crazy, so little and racist ...

#31 milk_honey

milk_honey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

it's ultra irritating when they add facial expressions, and snicker at the same time. :noclue it's highly embarrassing as well when it's a group. this is a sure sign of total disrespect to another person/race. i once became fed up, bec. not only they use that "ching chang chong" word, they even added chinese profanities! as if they know what it is. i'm pretty level-headed with these kind of ignorant people, and i always remind myself that i won't stoop down to their pathetic level, but that one was the final straw. i marched toward the group and asked them with a raised eyebrow. "hey, do you guys have mental-problem?" perhaps they were shocked or something, bec. no one reacted, i accompany this with a long and hard stare (my friend said, i stared like i was going to kill someone) and eversince then, that bunch stopped saying those words, and it kinda spread to school that chinese don't want to be joke around with "ching chang chong." consequently, they are my friends now, and i have to educate them further on other degratory remarks they need to avoid.

#32 ђŋ

ђŋ

"comet halley"

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

man i wish to have a gun when they say that to me and shoot 3 times on them. but what can we do?? now i realize that it's been a while i haven't heard those words. maybe the ppl here fear of the chinese mafia.

#33 shuwawa

shuwawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

people who said that is a racist... if i can ignor them i will but sometime i have to do what i need to do ..heeeheee...u know what .... :noclue :noclue
to me those ppl are stupid .... lack of respect ..immature

#34 87ers

87ers

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

Who said anything about not speaking the country's native language? I'm Malaysian but I'm currently in Australia. I totally agree that when in another country you should adapt to their culture. I speak English to the locals, heck I speak English most of the time with anyone. But it is NOT disrespecting anyone if I speak in my native tongue with other Malaysians. Yes, I agree it can FEEL irritating to hear another language in the bus or any other public place, but that is not a problem to anyone but the irritated, nor is it rude (unless they are speaking too loud but that is out of context). If one feels irritated to hear another language then maybe that person is being overly-sensitive. Why talk another language you ask? Have you not heard of multiculturalism and globalisation? While most of the world is trying to bridge the gaps between cultures, we have ignorant people not having the guts to accept differences and instead choose to make fools of themselves by saying "ching chong chang"

Idiots.

#35 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:00 AM

Somebody said that he didn't care less or more if he talked the country's native language or not. That's why I replied. If you were an inhabitad of that country and you see some foreigners talking in another language, wouldn't you think that they don't want to acclimatize? Perhaps they are being overly-sensitive, but still the fact that it's irritating is sometimes quite relevant to the fact if they are disrespecting the country norms or not. When you see 80% of a specific race speaking in their own language and their background in the daily news isn't that great, you'll think that they are unlikely want to settle down. That's why most of the original inhabitats want foreigners to speak their country's native language.

Multiculturalism is quite big in the Netherlands and I'm also interested in. But you live in that country, so you're supose to speak that country's native language. When you don't do that, then in my opinion people shouldn't fuss about it on one condition that you wontt talk too loudly to let the others hear it. By the way, speaking loud or not it's dependable, some languages are pretty damn loud itself, so people who aren't used to that will think that they are screaming or that they are mad on eachother. Speaking too loud isn't out of context at all.

#36 0MG_Stephhh

0MG_Stephhh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:14 AM

When I was younger, alotta people would say that .. and now some people say it .. but not to me but I hear them say it .. I use to get pretty annoyed and hurt that they said that .. but I agree that they probably thought that it was funny to mock us..now i just ignore them even if they say it a lot .. but if its like continuous .. than i would say something to them ..

#37 Guest_azngal02_*

Guest_azngal02_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

yeh..lots of westerners say that to me too...
although im not full chinese..because like im a chinese-indonesian..born in indonesia but descendants and background from china..
and everytime i talk to my indo friend or sister...they always go..
"ching chang chong" or something like that..
its really annoying...it pisses me offff...
but i ignore it all the time..so yeh..hmmm

#38 evisu28

evisu28

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

they say it in every country cause i think they think that is the way our language sounds. i agre iys annoying

#39 LovestCarmen

LovestCarmen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

i live in the us and i doget that. most of the its a joke but some ppl do it to mock us. which pisses me off.

#40 smilanny

smilanny

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

it used to happen to me and my Asian friends in primary school. those people didn't know what Chinese language was, and said "Ching Chang Chong"...
they thought they were fun but it was really annoying -__-