AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Why are most Asian girls so skinny in comparison to other culture girls?

asian skinny slim culture cultural

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#81 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

Nothing to do with where you are from. Weight actually doesn't matter. It's the percentage of fat you have.

It has to do with what you eat. Fat, bones and muscle mass all makes up the weight. Everyone has different amounts of them. People can say I'm "skinny" but I'm just lean. I'm not fat or up to par with like, Bruce Lee ... my body fat is just low and I have lean muscle mass. How much fat and muscle mass you should have on your bones depends on bone size ... because your bones have to be big and strong enough to support it. Your bone size depends on your genetic structure and how much calcium you get

If I had it my way I would love to be up to maybe 6'2 250 lbs

Asian people are more accustomed to eating lighter things for breakfast with less fat, like congee for example.

I don't think many Asians, especially in Asia, eat the typical Western breakfast (bacon, eggs, toast or pancakes). I do now and then. I don't eat congee. I just eat bread as it is, and sometimes boiled eggs, oatmeal, and sometimes fruits or noodles. I'm usually just to lazy to toast lol. I barely drink coffee, except maybe once in a while. I don't know how common drinking coffee is in Asia

Being in the US it kind of blows to be this skinny. Everyone either thinks you're sick and you can't find sizes.

It sucks because just because they usually tend to be bigger. It's ignorant ... especially when some of us know we actually eat alot (or at least make an effort to). It's also hard to find men's clothes my size ... so I have to get clothes that fit younger ages

Edited by 6shot, 01 March 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#82 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

It has to do with what you eat. Fat, bones and muscle mass all makes up the weight. Everyone has different amounts of them. People can say I'm "skinny" but I'm just lean. I'm not fat or up to par with like, Bruce Lee ... my body fat is just low and I have lean muscle mass. How much fat and muscle mass you should have on your bones depends on bone size ... because your bones have to be big and strong enough to support it. Your bone size depends on your genetic structure and how much calcium you get

If I had it my way I would love to be up to maybe 6'2 250 lbs

OH 6! That is way to huge, 6'6 250lbs? Wow, that alot of weight. I am 5'91/2 and 125lbs and I think I am just fine, I am more lankier. Sis, just wish okay!

#83 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

6'2 ... not 6'6. 6'2 250 lbs is still pretty large, especially for Asian

Have you ever looked at the girls in Asian soap operas, dramas and similar TV series? (especially Korean ones)?
They're nearly all wide-eyed and have a creamy, flawless complexion...beautiful! And in nearly all cases, they're unusually thinner than the typical Asian girl.

Uh ... cosmetic / plastic surgery??? Not all Korean eyes are naturally like that. Some Koreans are actually more narrow eyed than other Asians. And the complexion on their faces ... uh, make up??? Especially on magazines, movies, TV

Don't forget that Asia is a country noted particularly for competitiveness, rivalry, diligence, and in some cases, Asians are seen as easily motivated by jealousy.

Uh ... it's also like that in the West. To say it's just Asians motivated by jealousy is a racist and ignorant thing to say

About food ... I'm NOT saying you can't eat Chinese food and that it always sucks. Even I like Chinese food sometimes. But HONESTLY ... do you REALLY think a typical Chinese diet has alot of nutrition???

"Just look at me!!! K, I was born and raised up in Beijing where for around 3 years before I came to Canada I kept weighing 44kg, which is around 97lbs. Yet I occasionally considered myself fat. I was constantly told that i was slim-not skinny b/c of my height being 160/1cm(=5'3. When I was a child, I was encouraged to eat more all the time, cuz that was the time to grow-asians dont wanna be short. So I was never starving, and yes I was a picky eater (i didnt eat rice!!!!can u imagine that?!!). later on in life, say after 16 or so, women are expected to be in good shape, like slim figure with curves ideally. So I cannot agree on the advantages of rice ... sounds like a huge lie to me. Dude, do u know what actual chinese food looks like?!! Do u know how much veggies ppl eat? do u know how cheap veggies and fruits are?? okay, say a typical meal in my family dinner, which was considered great by my friends and other relatives~ sea food(expensive in Beijing, i must say, compared to that in vancouver. a luxury for average inner mainland chinese families):$20-30 OR types of red meat/chicken soup/duck/other: $10-20 combined rice: $1 or 2, veggies: <$1/dish (sometimes we might try some unseasoned or expensive/exclusive veggies/herbs, and in that case, the price soars accordingly, so infact average $2 i'd say) usually times 3 or more. 0-3 eggs/day:<$1.50 fruit: we were quite prodigal on that, the way americans are obsessed with dissert i guess. $10-20, cuz we had a huge amount+variety of whole fruits, hardly bought any proceeded fruit. if u only have seasonal fruit, say Beijing's watermelon in summer, it can be as cheap as 30cent/lbs, and it will taste fantastic! I think the diet structure is really important, and it certainly has to do with industrialization cuz its apparent that ppl's appetite's changing. we r eating way too rich i would say. being fat is just one of the prblems from overproduction + wasting.

Speak for yourself. Doesn't apply to everyone

about body fat, asians have more fat in their body i think. Norm: thighs should not touch, no abs will be perfect, arms should be slim, not muscular(thatll probably be considered disgusting...).

What kind of stupid BS is that??? Especially about the muscular arms. What's wrong with that??? Unless you mean huge arms on a skinny body. It depends how big. If I had like 24" inch pythons on my body the way it currently is ... that would be f**ked up. Your bones have to be big enough to support whatever muscle mass you have or you'll look like a freak and it won't be as easy to move around. So if someone with small bones did steroids ... that wouldn't be too good. All those bodybuilders in competition do steroids ... some of them even admit it. It's just NOT natural to be THAT muscular. That's why average people don't look like that. Steroids have side effects anyway.

i agree with the majority, its definitely down to the their lifestyle that the majority of asians are so skinny they generally eat healthier foods and do plenty more exercise compared to their western counterparts

I actually think the majority either doesn't eat enough or not enough of the right foods. I also think too many of them spend too much time on school or sedentary work so no I don't think they get enough exercise. Asian cultures, also in general, usually aren't known to be too sporty ... except maybe with their own cultural sports and physical activities. In school ... how many Asians were jocks??? Neither was I. I just exercised at home.

Damn Asian parents don't encourage their sons and daughters in sports or physical activity. It's always about getting As in school.

I am chinese about 5'6 and I weight 115lb. I really don't exercise that much...all i do is run 2.5 miles every other day and I don't watch what i eat but i really don't eat that much to begin with...so I have no idea why people in school (catholic high school in NJ) call me skinny

You are underweight. If you were like 5'4 or shorter ... okay

Edited by 6shot, 01 March 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#84 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

6'2 ... not 6'6. 6'2 250 lbs is still pretty large, especially for Asian

Uh ... cosmetic / plastic surgery??? Not all Korean eyes are naturally like that. Some Koreans are actually more narrow eyed than other Asians. And the complexion on their faces ... uh, make up??? Especially on magazines, movies, TV

Uh ... it's also like that in the West. To say it's just Asians motivated by jealousy is a racist and ignorant thing to say

About food ... I'm NOT saying you can't eat Chinese food and that it always sucks. Even I like Chinese food sometimes. But HONESTLY ... do you REALLY think a typical Chinese diet has alot of nutrition???

Speak for yourself. Doesn't apply to everyone

What kind of stupid BS is that??? Especially about the muscular arms. What's wrong with that??? Unless you mean huge arms on a skinny body. It depends how big. If I had like 24" inch pythons on my body the way it currently is ... that would be f**ked up. Your bones have to be big enough to support whatever muscle mass you have or you'll look like a freak and it won't be as easy to move around. So if someone with small bones did steroids ... that wouldn't be too good. All those bodybuilders in competition do steroids ... some of them even admit it. It's just NOT natural to be THAT muscular. That's why average people don't look like that. Steroids have side effects anyway.

I actually think the majority either doesn't eat enough or not enough of the right foods. I also think too many of them spend too much time on school or sedentary work so no I don't think they get enough exercise. Asian cultures, also in general, usually aren't known to be too sporty ... except maybe with their own cultural sports and physical activities. In school ... how many Asians were jocks??? Neither was I. I just exercised at home.

Damn Asian parents don't encourage their sons and daughters in sports or physical activity. It's always about getting As in school.

You are underweight. If you were like 5'4 or shorter ... okay

Hey six, whatever the hight number is, don't even think/imagine it, its outrageous that is FAT. Then health problems comes into play, I assume you are joking, so lets paly along.

#85 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

Anime, most of my best friends are asians due to my living in Asia, quite alot of them throw up or are always on diet, others excercise excessively and eat one meal per day, even those who are already has body image problem, so please do not say it natural not all.

Grayon, its obvious that your asian friends have eating disorders lol. But for regular asian girls, they are naturally very petite. They don't put on weight as esily as white people. I know loads of asian girls, most of them are very slim and they eat just as much as I do and they are still slim! For caucasion people, even smelling food would make them put on weight because of the nutrients in the scent :loool: joking lol.... But seriously, caucasions put on weight much easier the asians though. But you should really worry about your friends health because if they vomit up their food to stay slim, its a really serious problem and should seek help!

You are 5"9? thats a good height to be, Im 5"10. Sooo we are similar height!

#86 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

quote name='Grayson' date='28 February 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1267413990' post='6574602']
Anime, most of my best friends are asians due to my living in Asia, quite alot of them throw up or are always on diet, others excercise excessively and eat one meal per day, even those who are already has body image problem, so please do not say it natural not all.
[/quote]

Correct me if I I'm wrong ... but you actually think the majority of them throw up to be skinny??? I know there might be some that are sickly thin ... but I don't think the average Asian girl is like that nor throws up. And not all of us are on a diet. Hey, I just eat whatever I want because I never worry about getting fat. Not that I don't eat more healthy food if I can. But I don't really watch calories and all that crap. Or maybe it's just because I'm a guy and not fat.

If I exercise TOO much ... I get tired. I need more energy.

[quote name='SilvaweaponxAZNx' date='28 February 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1267415768' post='6574644']
Really... most Asians don't TRY to be skinny, we just ARE and it'll be hard to change.
[/quote]

That's what I want people to UNDERSTAND instead of people saying we try to be skinny. It's NOT that most Asians want to be ... it's just that we are "skinny". I just think most Asians have a higher metabolism.

[quote name='Grayson' date='01 March 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1267474523' post='6575448']
Hey six, whatever the hight number is, don't even think/imagine it, its outrageous that is FAT. Then health problems comes into play, I assume you are joking, so lets paly along.
[/quote]

FAT is when your stomach is way bigger than your chest. Fat is when you can't see abs at all. FAT is when you see rolls. FAT is when you got too much damn cellulite in your thighs ... especially if your thighs touch each other whenever you stand. FAT is when you can REALLY see it on your face and when arms are TOO FLABBY. Ever jiggled your arms??? If you can ... that's fat. Maybe most people can to some extent ... but you gotta know fat arms when you see them. Especially when there's no muscle definition and can't even see veins. FAT is when your ass is way bigger than your hips.

THAT'S when someone is FAT

Edited by 6shot, 01 March 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#87 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

Grayson, its obvious that your asian friends have eating disorders lol. But for regular asian girls, they are naturally very petite. They don't put on weight as esily as white people. I know loads of asian girls, most of them are very slim and they eat just as much as I do and they are still slim! For caucasion people, even smelling food would make them put on weight because of the nutrients in the scent :loool: joking lol.... But seriously, caucasions put on weight much easier the asians though. But you should really worry about your friends health because if they vomit up their food to stay slim, its a really serious problem and should seek help!

You are 5"9? thats a good height to be, Im 5"10. Sooo we are similar height!

No, I am an exact 5'91/2" Yes, I do worry about them, but you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. They worry about belly fat, their weight gain is in the tummy, and these are young girl 23&25, someone said in an earlier post asian parents do not encourage their children to excercise they just want them to get A's. That is the crucks of the matter. Yes, asians tend to be quite jealous of others, that's a little problem they need to overcome, I am not a vegetarian , but I do not eat red meats, or pork, I love veggies, and seafoods so probably that is why I maintain my weight to where I am comfortable, sweets I very really eat, and excercise quite extensively that makes me happy.

#88 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Asians are only quite jealous of others??? Almost everyone envies someone else in some way. It's not just Asians who are competitive about anything

#89 Anime_X

Anime_X

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

^ Hey grayson we are the same height! Im also 5"9 and a half. It's just I normally say 5"10 because I round up to the nearest whole number lol.

But when it comes to some asian parents wanting their kids to get "A" grades rather then exercise. Its not because these parents know that a lack of exercise is bad for their kids and then making them prioritise their health over education. The fact is that they are not aware that the lack of exercise is bad for their kids health. When it comes to Chinese parents its due to lack of education when it comes to fitness and exercise. I know in the west people have recieved a lot of education and are fully aware about heart disease and the importance of exercise. But its different in Asia though. If all asian parents knew about how bad a lack of exercise and a bad diet is for their kids then they woulld change their priorities for their kids. Its like the average parent in their 50's in HK have no idea that a lack of exercise is bad for their kids and would increase their likelyhood of getting heart diesease. Lots of people in Asia are not aware that a high salt diet, lack of exercise, high fat foods is bad for people. Asians tend to think young people are healthy because of their youth and not aware of the science behind it. This lack of awareness of staying healthy, diet and exercise is due to either a less science orientated education system or they were never given much chance of getting a decent education as a result of poverty. But this is a cultural matter and its not right to judge asian culture using western values.

Edited by Anime_UK, 01 March 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#90 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

well not gonna quote all of you but what most of you said has been quite true. Most Asians do not exercise as much as Caucasians and eat about the same amount of food as them so... why are we so much skinnier? It all comes down to bone structures a genes. Both Asian girls and boys alike are skinnier than other cultures whether we like it or not. I'm 5'4 and weight 94 and some ppl at school often calls me weak. You think I really like to be called weak? I actually try to gain some weight so I can be normal, don't want to be like my sister whose 5'9 and just reached 100 pounds.

just reached AF-newbie

Edited by SilvaweaponxAZNx, 01 March 2010 - 11:29 PM.

#91 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

Asians are only quite jealous of others??? Almost everyone envies someone else in some way. It's not just Asians who are competitive about anything

Sorry, I should not say asian, I should just simplify it and say Korean.

#92 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

But when it comes to some asian parents wanting their kids to get "A" grades rather then exercise. Its not because these parents know that a lack of exercise is bad for their kids and then making them prioritise their health over education. The fact is that they are not aware that the lack of exercise is bad for their kids health. When it comes to Chinese parents its due to lack of education when it comes to fitness and exercise. I know in the west people have recieved a lot of education and are fully aware about heart disease and the importance of exercise. But its different in Asia though.

That's what I thought. The fact is they don't emphasis exercise or sports

Asians tend to think young people are healthy because of their youth and not aware of the science behind it.

I agree, about majority of Asians

But this is a cultural matter and its not right to judge asian culture using western values.

Maybe you could call it a culture matter but it's still an issue in the community. If it wasn't ... why does this thread exist??? Why are many Asians skinny??? Because it is a sort of an issue. Everyone who says it's JUST genetic is making excuses or doesn't know all the factors. I know I'm not large but at least I'm aware of this issue among Asians and it bothers me to know fellow Asians don't look like they care. It's all these same people who make Asians look bad.

If people in China think 112 lbs is fat that's f**ked up. When someone is taller than me and weighs less ... I know they're underweight. I am NOT fat and I actually have some meat on me. I'm just lean and have low body fat. Especially if you're 5'6 or taller

#93 sakhee

sakhee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:27 AM

Well i guess its to do with asian diet in comparison to americans at the same time genes. Its also to do with the media influences and how girls are obsessed with the benchmark of a skinny waist otherwise your just 'fat'...

#94 Anime_X

Anime_X

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

If people in China think 112 lbs is fat that's f**ked up. When someone is taller than me and weighs less ... I know they're underweight. I am NOT fat and I actually have some meat on me. I'm just lean and have low body fat. Especially if you're 5'6 or taller

Its a matter or perspective because in China their views on fat and thin is different to the perspective in the west. This is due to the average person in China being much smaller and lighter then the average person in America. This is the same for height too because someone considered tall in China would be considered short or average height in the West.

Maybe you could call it a culture matter but it's still an issue in the community. If it wasn't ... why does this thread exist??? Why are many Asians skinny??? Because it is a sort of an issue. Everyone who says it's JUST genetic is making excuses or doesn't know all the factors. I know I'm not large but at least I'm aware of this issue among Asians and it bothers me to know fellow Asians don't look like they care. It's all these same people who make Asians look bad.

Im sure genetics plays a role in many asians being slim. Their metabolic rates or metabolism could be very high so their body is not absorbing as much fat as someone with a low metabolic rate. Some people in the west are naturally very obesse and its not because they eat a lot, its just their metabolic rate is very low and require lots of exercise and maybe weight loss surgery. A persons natural Metabolic rate is down to gentics, although diet and lifestyle can play a role in changing it.

There are other factors that would make a difference to people being thin like exercise and diet.

#95 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

Its a matter or perspective because in China their views on fat and thin is different to the perspective in the west. This is due to the average person in China being much smaller and lighter then the average person in America. This is the same for height too because someone considered tall in China would be considered short or average height in the West.

Im sure genetics plays a role in many asians being slim. Their metabolic rates or metabolism could be very high so their body is not absorbing as much fat as someone with a low metabolic rate. Some people in the west are naturally very obesse and its not because they eat a lot, its just their metabolic rate is very low and require lots of exercise and maybe weight loss surgery. A persons natural Metabolic rate is down to gentics, although diet and lifestyle can play a role in changing it.

There are other factors that would make a difference to people being thin like exercise and diet.

lol yep Asians are just generally smaller :tricky: don't know if that's considered a good thing or bad thing but... that's how we are lol
and lol yep kinda feel bad for the ppl that are naturally fat because of low metabolism rate
and despite what other ppl think, Chinese ppl do not exercise as much as the average white or black person and Chinese ppl going on diets is also very rare since it's not necessary... we're natural skinny already lol

#96 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

I wouldn't say the average white or black people exercise more. Heck, some of them are lazy. If more of them actually did ... you wouldn't see as many fat people.

I'm not saying all of them are fat ... I'm just saying because you see enough fat (or skinny) white and black people ... I wouldn't say average white or black people exercise more or at all.

I agree that in general, many Asians tend to be shorter or rather skinny. It's a stereotype but rather true about many of them.

In general, Asians just need to eat better and get more exercise

#97 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:37 AM

I wouldn't say the average white or black people exercise more. Heck, some of them are lazy. If more of them actually did ... you wouldn't see as many fat people.

I'm not saying all of them are fat ... I'm just saying because you see enough fat (or skinny) white and black people ... I wouldn't say average white or black people exercise more or at all.

I agree that in general, many Asians tend to be shorter or rather skinny. It's a stereotype but rather true about many of them.

In general, Asians just need to eat better and get more exercise

true lol every race has it's different personalities
but don't you think Chinese food is good enough? :D It's going to outgrow the popularity of Italian food any day (in the US)
but truth is, every race has it's differences so there is nothing to change
in fact, I think that's the problem with Asians in modern times, they attempt to change too much
we should like the way we are and if Asians do have yellowish skin and is smaller, then we should like that

#98 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

I simply said that some people don't exercise enough or at all. Whether white, black or Asian

Chinese food is nothing more than to satisfy hunger. It's okay but I don't think anyone's gonna give up eating pasta over it

I never said it was bad to have yellow skin. We should like to be small??? Asians don't choose to be shorter. Some of us just are. But if that's just the way we are ... people should just accept that about us. It's just like black people can't have white skin, unless by some unnatural way. I've seen light skinned blacks but unless they're albino or half white ... likely not

Unless they're Michael Jackson lol

The only reason I would understand why Asian girls would want to look skinny is to look good. I think some of them look at models and celebrities and think by being more skinny they're trying to be "better looking". If a model or celebrity is already skinny or how ever they look ... that's already the "set" look from the media, or at least whoever did the work. Suppose the model is already 100 lbs. If a girl tries to be any slimmer than these superslim models ... she's not gonna look much better

I don't want girls to look fat but honestly, I usually think chubby Asian girls don't look so good. If she's a chubby white girl ... depends, especially when she's smaller than me. I don't want girls fat or bigger than me.

I don't think anyone should be so skinny that they're like less than 100 lbs. I'm a guy and I'm probably around or near 110 to 115 lbs. I like girls smaller but smallest maybe 90 to 100 lbs. If she weighed any less I would think that's too skinny. Especially if any girls have high cheek bones. No girl's face should be so skinny that you really see her cheek bones. There should be enough meat on a person's face that you can't really notice her cheek bones or at all.

Edited by 6shot, 05 March 2010 - 03:51 AM.

#99 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

This is what I have been saying these people do not read the complete posting the pick out a few phrases then pounce, they accuse then you to have to justify what you wrote, its an opinion, read before attacking please post readers.

#100 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:59 AM

@ shot: not gonna quote your whole thing but yeah, for the most part, I agree and lol MJ

This is what I have been saying these people do not read the complete posting the pick out a few phrases then pounce, they accuse then you to have to justify what you wrote, its an opinion, read before attacking please post readers.

lol not really
most of these threads around here are for arguments and discussions aren't they. I'm not attacking anyone, just simply giving arguments and counterarguments :worship

#101 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I know what she meant. Sometimes people say things that look like they missed something

I believe there are some people who just skim the posts and don't read or pay attention to every word so they just got little bits and pieces and post. I actually read through a whole post before responding but only quote what I figure is worth responding to

There are some people who just want to hear a basic summary and don't always listen to everything you say

#102 princessmartel

princessmartel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

5'1 and 112lb, that is not skinny at all.

In America you may be considered skinny, but I Canada you are normal. :)

1. I think most Asians are able to look after their body really well. They drink bird nest soup (thousands of US dollar per lb), which is really good for your health.

2. Gene plays an important factor on ones appearance.

3. Some Asian are willing to spend lots of money on those weight loss programs advertise everywhere in Asian magazine. They don't waste their money on crappy weight loss programs (ie Jenny Craig) that do not work.

#103 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:51 AM

5'1 and 112lb, that is not skinny at all.

In America you may be considered skinny, but I Canada you are normal. :)

1. I think most Asians are able to look after their body really well. They drink bird nest soup (thousands of US dollar per lb), which is really good for your health.

2. Gene plays an important factor on ones appearance.

3. Some Asian are willing to spend lots of money on those weight loss programs advertise everywhere in Asian magazine. They don't waste their money on crappy weight loss programs (ie Jenny Craig) that do not work.

lol yeah 5'1 and 112lbs shouldn't be considered skinny, I mean, 112 could be but not at that height though
I'm not sure if Canadians are skinnier than Americans though but you do have a higher percentage of Asians up north <_<
@ 1 lol I know, those stuff are so expensive

#104 blurty899

blurty899

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Another issue to consider, in western culture, we drive a lot- we get let off at school or we walk a bit then catch a bus--

But in China/HK although there is public transport- because of the high population- there seems to be more walking to places- (just because sometimes it's easier to walk a few steps than wait for the bus)

Another thing- is that in the western culture we really really like cheese and diary products- thsi makes us fatter...than the other places-

#105 Ballbearing

Ballbearing

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

I went to China over the summer... and man! the girls there are SKINNY! Everyone in America told me I'm skinny...I don't think so but I'm decent...5'1" at 112lbs....and I'm considered skinny in America. But the girls in like Hong Kong or Mainland China are sooo skinny.....skinny as in they look pretty b/c they're skinny and there are also girls who are skinny to the pt that they look unhealthy. Why is that? The food they eat...not enough nutrients....different living styles.....different cultural foods...???

I just want to hear some different opinions and views on this topic. Or is America just a country full of fat ppl? What do u think is the definition of skinny....is it being in the average weight range for that specific height or being below that average?

I just came back from China/Taiwan three weeks ago, and yes, the girls and guys over there are skinny...yep, guys too!

All the people there are adjusted to small portions of food. They don't overeat like Americans. Also; here in the US we have a fast food restaurant stationed every 1.5 miles or closer...it's hard to avoid. In China, or even Taiwan, it's not as common.

Partly also has a lot to do with genetics, for sure. I mean..if you pitted up a Qin soldier or a samurai against a Scandinavian Viking or a Roman you'll definitely see a disparaging difference in size.

#106 damyoungji

damyoungji

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Asians are skinnier in general because of their diets and the stuff they eat. Not to mention, they walk a lot more over there. When I was in Hong Kong and China (especially the latter), it was all about walking. I was on vacation for just over a month and heck, even though I did not lose any weight, I looked skinnier than how I looked like before I went.

Oh yeah, and it is hot there, so you can easily sweat and they do not need to eat as much as others do across the world - since we have to eat more during the winter, and we rely on cars, subways, buses and such since it is hard to travel anywhere far without them.

#107 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

But in China/HK although there is public transport- because of the high population- there seems to be more walking to places- (just because sometimes it's easier to walk a few steps than wait for the bus)

Another thing- is that in the western culture we really really like cheese and diary products- thsi makes us fatter...than the other places-

I also do alot of walking. I walk distances (to a limit) most people normally take a bus for. Saves money and I get a bit of exercise.
The people that bother to take a bus just to go to the mall down the next one, two blocks or so are just lazy. Unless they really don't have the time to walk and just want to hop on a bus. Sometimes I might have to take a bus ... depends where I gotta go. Haven't been a bus for a while

Yeah thick cheese ... but I don't suppose milk would get you fat, unless maybe you're already big boned

All the people there are adjusted to small portions of food. They don't overeat like Americans. Also; here in the US we have a fast food restaurant stationed every 1.5 miles or closer...it's hard to avoid.

Yeah I guess China is somewhat stingy and so is my mom. Hate it. I tend to think I have a bigger appetite than most Asians. It's just how I am. I keep hearing everyone say how fat many Americans are. Maybe they are too extravagant.

I could eat so much and put on little fat. Woohoo!!!

Asians are skinnier in general because of their diets and the stuff they eat. Not to mention, they walk a lot more over there. When I was in Hong Kong and China (especially the latter), it was all about walking. I was on vacation for just over a month and heck, even though I did not lose any weight, I looked skinnier than how I looked like before I went.

I heard tofu is a good source of protein, and while I would eat it ... how much do you get out of it??? And yeah I know they obviously eat more than tofu. I guess it's their alternative to cheese.

Next thing ya know ... tofu burgers!!!

I can see it now ...

You sure you didn't lose weight???

Oh yeah, and it is hot there, so you can easily sweat and they do not need to eat as much as others do across the world - since we have to eat more during the winter

What part of China? Somewhere more South? Where?

Yeah fat keeps people warmer in winter

Edited by 6shot, 08 March 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#108 Anime_X

Anime_X

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

Yeah fat keeps people warmer in winter

They would be bad for your fuel consumption for your car if you had overwieght passengers.

#109 EriRie

EriRie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

I think it's mostly pressure. I was about 120-125lbs back in high school (5'2" at the time) and even though I had proper hourglass proportions and a 24 inch waist, I still wouldn't hear the end of it from my asian relatives. Lose weight, Lose weight, Lose weight!!! They seemed to be mostly concerned with the numbers on the scale but if I really did weigh 100 lbs, considering my larger (for asian) bone frame, I'd look like a skeleton. Needless to say, I've stopped listening to my relatives. Sure, I like being thin but I certainly won't starve myself for it.

#110 SNK_1408

SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:07 AM

this is another stereotyping.
I saw more fat asian girls than other non-asian girls.

#111 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

this is another stereotyping.
I saw more fat asian girls than other non-asian girls.

I don't mean to sound like I'm stereotyping but lol since when??? Where are you???

Again ... it's not that there aren't Asian girls with meat but on average, so many are skinny. I'm just wondering how the heck you could say that. Unless the non-Asian girls in your area just HAPPEN to be more skinny and / or the amount of Asian girls in your area is probably small compared to non-Asians

the same can go for any stereotype

Edited by 6shot, 29 March 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#112 SNK_1408

SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

I don't mean to sound like I'm stereotyping but lol since when??? Where are you???

Again ... it's not that there aren't Asian girls with meat but on average, so many are skinny. I'm just wondering how the heck you could say that. Unless the non-Asian girls in your area just HAPPEN to be more skinny and / or the amount of Asian girls in your area is probably small compared to non-Asians

the same can go for any stereotype

Actually Asia have more fat people than non-Asian due to population ratio.
Country like China now experience more obesity issues than ever before.

#113 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

except the ratio thing ... lol have yet to believe it

#114 tokie

tokie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

I feel the same as everyone here, I'm sure its a genetics things and what you eat. In America we like meat and lots of it so i would think that ppl here would be bigger and also we pump our food full of steroids( i could be wrong about that >.<).

#115 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

it's not steroids!!! but yeah here in the west we usually tend to get bigger

#116 tokie

tokie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

it's not steroids!!! but yeah here in the west we usually tend to get bigger

Yeah i didn't think so, but a friend of mine said that they do that sometimes to make the cows bigger >.< or something like that LOL. Thanks for the clear up

#117 me -_-

me -_-

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

I think its mainly diet

asians eat rice all the time which is healthy, not so fat, and fills you up so you dont get hungry and eat fatty junk food. western people just eat meat and potatoes a lot (and other stuff), whereas asians eat a bit of meat, veges, and then a lot of rice to "dilute it", the western people eat JUST the meat, and potatoes and stuff which seems more concentrated, like they dont eat anything else

asians drink stuff like green tea which helps lose weight, and they probably know all about foods that are good for you since my mum tells me to eat a food, and then says what its good for, to make me eat it

like "eat this fruit, it makes your skin good"
eat this, it'll make your poo come out smoothly
eat this black sesame pudding, 'it'll make your hair more black', or 'your hair will grow more'
drink this soup it'll make your complection good

and yeah, when I look up certain fruits and veges on the computer to read about its benefits just for fun, a lot of them have certain cancer preventions and weight loss stuff etc.. so if you just eat a lot of good foods you're bound to maintain a good weight and be healthy

a lot of old asians live long lives probably because they know how to eat properly, they drink a lot of tea and know about certain herbs and stuff and the benefits

when people are sick on the news, my mum and family friends always say "omg what did they eat". they think the source of all problems is bad food lol, even if its obviously not. But maybe they're right sometimes, every little thing counts, and may lead to toher things

food also affects your mood I heard. Junk food may make you unhappy, and if you eat healthier you may feel healthier and happier. And you lose more weight if you're happy (which I read somewhere).

Breakfast is also important, something about metabolism. Some people just skip breakfast, but I always have it and my mum always tells me to eat rice for breakfast so I'll be full, so I wont get hungry and end up eating snacks. She says western people dont know anything and eat cereal which makes your stomach cold and you wont be full and stuff, and says 'asians know how to eat properly'. even though its sorta racist, after a while I may see something and realize what my mum said was right (like I see asians who bring their rice to school and eat once and are full, then I see a lot of other people spending a lot of money on food at the shop, then they get hungry and buy more stuff. So, they eat stuff with more fat, it doesnt full them up, and they go and buy more, wasting money as well)

#118 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

Westerners just eat mostly meat and potatoes??? I mean yeah they eat meat and potatoes ... but really ... I can't help but think you have some kind of stereotypical view. They also eat alot of bread and so do I. I think they consume too much carbs and fat, and many of them have a lower metabolism

My dad is sort of foolish ... he likes to eat meat fat. We keep telling him it's not good for him. A tiny bit isn't too bad but we're meant to eat lean. Doesn't matter if you want to put on weight ... it's not a healthy way to do it

btw I once heard about a guy who always ate medium rare steak and got cancer. ONLY eat steak or any meat well cooked and brown inside out, unless it's white meat like on chicken although there's also dark meat. Of course it always has to be well cooked

I think the only relation between depression or low self esteem and weight gain is you would feel less active and motivated to do anything or move around

Snacks and a little junk food like hamburgers aren't bad now and then but yeah if you consume too much then you'll probably get fat or just feel "bogged down". I don't mind eating chips now and then but it won't fill me as much as a full dish of rice or pasta

#119 kreetslaak

kreetslaak

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Of course it's stereotypical. 'me', when you use the internet to look up a certain product's nutritional value or its effect on the development of cancer, who do you think performed the research and provided the information? More than likely it was one of those dreaded white people.
Also, my parents always tried to make sure I ate healthily, constantly handing me fruit even when I was 19. If you want to point your finger at today's young white people, blame us, not our parents. There's not much that offends me on this site, but the suggestion that whites are horrible parents who don't care about their children is offensive and completely incorrect.

Edited by kreetslaak, 12 April 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#120 cinnamon_coffee

cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1622 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

^ Yeah, I'm white and I eat healthily, my family also make sure that I don't eat crappy and fast foods... and it's always been like that... I also drink only green and fruit tea (also coffee), don't like the black one while most of the people I know drink mainly black tea which is not so healthy.

Breakfast is also important, something about metabolism. Some people just skip breakfast, but I always have it and my mum always tells me to eat rice for breakfast so I'll be full, so I wont get hungry and end up eating snacks. She says western people dont know anything and eat cereal which makes your stomach cold and you wont be full and stuff, and says 'asians know how to eat properly'. even though its sorta racist, after a while I may see something and realize what my mum said was right (like I see asians who bring their rice to school and eat once and are full, then I see a lot of other people spending a lot of money on food at the shop, then they get hungry and buy more stuff. So, they eat stuff with more fat, it doesnt full them up, and they go and buy more, wasting money as well)

Agree with your mother here. Cereal is not a good way to start a day, you quickly become hungry again. Also, many people tend to skip breakfast which make them weaker later in the day and it can contribute to becoming fat.

Edited by ★cinnamon_coffee, 12 April 2010 - 08:11 PM.