AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Why are most Asian girls so skinny in comparison to other culture girls?

asian skinny slim culture cultural

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#41 bubbly_blue

bubbly_blue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

there are influences from the media as well....look at those celebrities...they're all STICK THIN. I had a fren whom went to US to further her studies. All her mates were asking her to eat more as she's soooo...petite, it seems....when she came back to her own hometown, everyone asked her why she had ballooned n asked her to go on a diet...
to me, I think ppl whom lives in cold countries need the fats to protect themselves while those in all-round hot countries dont. All the time, they're in "very lil' clothings"...of course they need to keep in shape all da time to look good!

#42 glamorous_sky

glamorous_sky

coz I like 'em dorky

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:45 AM

As mentioned above, I always thought it was due to the fact that Chinese people (or Asians in general) are more engaged to healthy eating habits, such that veggies and fish dominate their meals. With American food, on the other hand, fast food and red meat (among many others) are dominant, as I've noticed during my stay there. We had steak almost everyday! :blush

But yeah, weight has always been a universal problem, especially with girls. There has been a shallow mentality that skinny girls are more beautiful, and those on the heavy side are not. But I absolutely beg to differ. People come in all shapes and sizes. Your weight does not define who you are as an individual, it's your heart which does. If we continue to contrive on such matters, we merely degrade ourselves. If ever you decide to lose some weight, it shouldn't be because "someone told you you were fat." More importantly, it should be out of health purposes and sensible factors as such. But you have to embrace who you are and remember everyone who accepts you for you, no matter how many pounds you lose or gain. At the end that's what matters most. :dance

Edited by glamorous_sky, 17 May 2006 - 01:03 AM.

#43 karkar

karkar

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

so anyone know the BMI chart for chinese people, when people say refer to the BMI, wouldnt looking at the universal (duno if its made by uk or us) one be misleading then?

#44 wildstyled

wildstyled

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:47 AM

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
112lb isnt skinny bro
dats 48-50kg im not sure about the weighting of lbs but its around there and with the height of 153cm or so dats consider fat n round.
my gf is 159 at 46kg n she calls herself fat

ahh! there is a nicer way to say "fat n round' you know!!!! --; no one likes to be called that!
I think that it's genetics and diet also. I mean, most asians...not all...have a smaller frame than americans. My mom for example, has a rather large frame in asian society......she was 168 cm and like 50kg....and she was STILL considered fat when she was a teenager. Too bad I inherited her bone structure instead of my dad's smaller bone structure. I do a lot of excercise and stuff to make sure I don't look big....because if you have a little bit larger bone structure and like layers of cellulite or something you're going to look a WHOLE lot bigger than you actually are. but with a normal asian diet that consists mainly of vegetables and soup, it's really not that hard. The junk food like Burger King or Hardeez really adds a lot of calories and adds up.....
lol because my parents are so "old fashioned" I guess, the way we eat is a bit different than the way my friends eat.

Everyone in America told me I'm skinny...I don't think so but I'm decent...5'1" at 112lbs....and I'm considered skinny in Amer

I really don't think that's too bad. I mean, we're about the same weight and I'm 169 cm....which is what, like 5'6 or 5'7. I'll admit it, I'm obsessed with my weight because of my parents, celebrities, oh and did I mention parents? haha. The criticize my every move!!! I think you're at a healthy weight. you've got meat on your bones, lol and you don't look like a skeleton. I assume you have a small bome structure.....lucky. If I was also 5'1 and the same weight I am now (I'm always about 107-110 pounds) I would actually look a little bigger than you because of my bone structure. Keep the weight you are now....but I guess if you wanted to, you could work out more and turn what fat (if you have any) you have into muscle. ^^

~mich

#45 Andromeda18_

Andromeda18_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:19 AM

yea, dat aint skinny !!! 112lbs is abt 50kg !!! i'd definitely consider dat chubby/more on the plump side for ur height of 153cm !! if u'r reali 153cm, i feel dat u should be less than 40kg/90lbs...

im 158cm & i think i looked my best wen i was 40-42kg (92lbs) 2 years back, no flab but not skinny either...because i dont have the skinny "jeong ji-hyun" frame but i haf more of a petite curvy figure....altho a lot of my guy frens said i look better wen i was abt 43-44kg (last year).....my weight is currently yoyo-ing btw 45-46kg ! OMG !!!! 2 layers of flab on my tummy :lmao:

i dont reali subscribe to the BMI thingie....because i find those considered by doctors to haf a healthy weight look kinda heavy/chubby to me....& those with weight slightly lower than the normal weight actually look jz rite....slim but not too skinny....ofcourse toooo skinny is ugly....jz imagine hugging a bag of sticks & bones ! for the record, i think Ji-Hyun looks sexy but too skinny....flat all over...

You think she's too skinny but her BMI is higher than yours was when you weighed 40kg yet you think that's when you looked your best. And the truth is at 40kg your BMI wasn't only slightly lower than normal, it was a lot lower.
It's funny though, Jeon Ji-Hyun sure looks heavier than 48kg, I don't think she's skinny at all.
I mean, do you think this is skinny?:

Posted Image
http://images2.asian.../10114/87vp.gif
http://images2.asian.../10114/56tv.gif
http://images2.asian...51019093311.jpg

Besides, she was voted Best Butt in Asia in 2004 so she can't be that flat.

#46 taintedlove

taintedlove

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

i think its the diet. Most Asians don't fried their foods and eat mainly steamed food... RICE!!! Besides, everyone in Asia wants to be skinny, so theres alot of will power.

I once read an article in a magazine about how Japanese women are skinnier and age slower then Americans because of their diet. Japanese people only eat fresh foods and alotsss of fish. The lady said that she went to Japan for a week and ate soo much more then what she eats in America. When she came back, she lost 10 pounds o.o

#47 solemnmite

solemnmite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

I think it's a combination of diet and genes. Asians tend to eat healthier (e.g. less fried food, less fast food, etc). I think Asians also tend to be naturally smaller. However, there is definitely pressure to fit this ideal. Some girls go to extreme measures to lose weight or keep their weight down. What's considered thin may not be considered the same in Asia. People in Asia don't have a problem commenting on your weight.

I'm actually kind of worried about this because I'm going to Asia later this year. I would describe myself as slim/slender. I have fairly skinny arms and legs but I don't look sickly skinny. I'm 5'4" and recently gained a little weight. I weigh about 100 lbs now...is that considered heavier in Asia? I don't want to be perceived as fat. :down

#48 Andromeda18_

Andromeda18_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:02 AM

I'm actually kind of worried about this because I'm going to Asia later this year. I would describe myself as slim/slender. I have fairly skinny arms and legs but I don't look sickly skinny. I'm 5'4" and recently gained a little weight. I weigh about 100 lbs now...is that considered heavier in Asia? I don't want to be perceived as fat. :down

I don't know if that's perceived as fat in Asia but by normal standards (BMI) you're underweight. The question now is: Do you want to get sickly thin just so people in Asia won't think you're fat?

Edited by Andromeda18_, 21 June 2006 - 03:02 AM.

#49 solemnmite

solemnmite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:10 PM

I don't know if that's perceived as fat in Asia but by normal standards (BMI) you're underweight. The question now is: Do you want to get sickly thin just so people in Asia won't think you're fat?

No, definitely not. I'm not one to starve myself nor do I find the sickly thin look attractive. However, I'm just worried I may be perceived as heavier there because their views on what's considered a normal vs. thin body is very different from the perception where I'm from. I guess that's contradictory, huh?

#50 Ayume-chan

Ayume-chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

I'm half Afro-American and half Finnish. I'm 173cm tall and weigh 70kg. I'm told that I'm the ideal weight for my height, but considering my lil sister who's 177cm and weighs about 55-60kg I feel small and fat.

My mother said that a healthy diet, fast metabolism, and exercise make about half of the circle (if there was one). The other half is made up by genes. So that should solve the metabolism/genes disagreement.

My lil sister has my mother's bone structure, so she looks skinny and weighs less than me. I have my father's bone structure and that makes me look different from my sister, and weigh a bit more.

But this surprised me a great deal. Depending on your body structure, exercising can make you look skinnier, but you'll gain weight. (I gained 4kg when I went to karate practice, but I quit after about 1½ months).

Do they exercise a lot in China? I don't know. ^_^'

#51 BLOODQUEEN

BLOODQUEEN

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

One thing I am sure of is that not all asians and that not even "most" asians are skinny.....I think we are just like all the other races out there......you have the skinny, normal to the bigger size people.......

#52 Aesthetic_ChineseGirl

Aesthetic_ChineseGirl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:09 AM

lol am I skinny? I'm about 5'1 and weigh 92 pounds....lol. and uhh im 14.

#53 iOsiris

iOsiris

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

While you may see skinny girls now, the obesity rate in Asia is sky rocketing.

#54 Guest_azngal02_*

Guest_azngal02_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

im not really sure whether it is genes because there are loads ..tons and tons of asian girls that are skinny..some that are stick skinny and some that are averagely skinny..
I think most asians are found skinnier than westerns because..one of the reasons is probably based on the food.Most western food,they tend to add alot of oil in most fo their daily types of food and meals..it which makes it..quite fatty..but asian food..although they add oil in their daily food..i dont think its as much as the western..
but yeh..hmm..i consider myself as chubby..dunno how i'll be a few years later..might be skinnier..not as stick..but just average skinny..lol..

#55 archange

archange

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

i think that it because of the diet too ...
but 112lbs doesn't make you a skinny person !!!

#56 JayCy90

JayCy90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

ah~ lol.. I wish I'm living in America now.. :) Then I would consider normal~ :) I'm slightly overweight >.< . Gained nearly 5kg since last year...CNY cookies!!! Damn you. haha. But I think it's the genes. Nothing to do with where you are from. Weight actually doesn't matter. It's the percentage of fat you have.When I tell people about my weight, they seem a little suprise, cause I don't look as heavy as I weigh. Some ppl have denser bones, so they then to weigh a lil more. I have big dense bones >.< , which is so sad...

#57 meisik

meisik

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

I'm Chinese and live in USA. I weigh about 93-95 lbs and am 5' 5". I've always been skinny and I think it's genetics. Both of my parents are really thin. I eat healthy. I tried to eat a lot to gain weight but it's not helping.

There are many factors to them being thin, genetics, food, etc. I've never traveled to other Asian countries. I've always wondered if I go to places like HK, would I be considered as fat there.

#58 AngelaC

AngelaC

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:49 AM

well your consider skinny in the u.s, because people in the u.s are rather big boneded. I dont see nothing wrong with being skinny, but too skinny isnt good.

i went to vietnam this summer and there were alot of big boneded people. I was very suprise.

#59 1251

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

I'm reallyyy skinny, and it's not by choice what so ever. It's from genes. My dad's sisters are about the same build as me. I think the diet of Asians also kind of play a big part of it. For breakfast, we generally don't eat things like bacons, eggs and pancake all in one meal. Asian people are more accustomed to eating lighter things for breakfast with less fat, like congee for example.

Being in the US it kind of blows to be this skinny. Everyone either thinks you're sick and you can't find sizes.

#60 Taegeuk

Taegeuk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

I would prefer someone 'normal', and what is the definition 'normal'? Well, to me not too fat nor skinny. There was a time here in the Nordic area (hundreds of years ago), when women saw themselves really beautiful if they're fat, as did the men have the attraction to the 'fat women'. That has been changed now.... and looks like that being skinny is great... or what should I say? The world is small, who cares!
And about that the Asians are skinny... I really don't think so.... But it can be because of the diet. The Japs for example don't eat much meat....

Edited by Elekko, 28 August 2006 - 04:01 PM.

#61 JptDotCom

JptDotCom

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:15 AM

This amuse me too..why chinese gals are too skinny...more it looks unhealthy...most of gals if you see all are too skinny that doesnt look good at all...i hardly have seen any sexy looking gals ...ver rare....

they're too concern abt not being fat since their childhood or?

#62 Topnotch(LAUJ)

Topnotch(LAUJ)

HI....HI..

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1129 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

DIET AND WHAT YOU EAT ..........ALSO GENO.........LIKE SOME PEOPLE THEY COULD EAT ALL THEY WANT AND NEVER GET BIG ....

#63 herapham2

herapham2

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

Have you ever looked at the girls in Asian soap operas, dramas and similar TV series? (especially Korean ones)?
They're nearly all wide-eyed and have a creamy, flawless complexion...beautiful! And in nearly all cases, they're unusually thinner than the typical Asian girl.

Don't forget that Asia is a country noted particularly for competitiveness, rivalry, diligence, and in some cases, Asians are seen as easily motivated by jealousy.

This spurs Asian girls to strive to become thinner (to some extent). Korean girls are bombarded by beeeautiful, unnaturally wide-eyed celebrities in their country. It's only natural to feel pressured, rejected and have worse self-esteem. That's why I wasn't surprised to hear that by their 30s, almost 80% of Korean woman have had some form of cosmetic surgery. Knowing this, it doesn't shock me at all to know that the issue of weight in Asian girls is really gross.

On a PERSONAL level, I think that the competitive nature of Asian girls (which is sometimes inherited) is the main catalyst for wanting to be thinner.

From what Asian friends, relatives and family friends tell me, I know I ain't that wrong

#64 Mimu Cutie

Mimu Cutie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

i know this is long. considering i registered just to reply, it's understandable?
the comment on beijing girls really really attracted me. i was so compelled to say something that i didnt organize it at all!! sry about that x.x

"Just look at me!!! K, I was born and raised up in Beijing where for around 3 years before I came to Canada I kept weighing 44kg, which is around 97lbs. Yet I occasionally considered myself fat. I was constantly told that i was slim-not skinny b/c of my height being 160/1cm(=5'3. When I was a child, I was encouraged to eat more all the time, cuz that was the time to grow-asians dont wanna be short. So I was never starving, and yes I was a picky eater (i didnt eat rice!!!!can u imagine that?!!). later on in life, say after 16 or so, women are expected to be in good shape, like slim figure with curves ideally. So I cannot agree on the advantages of rice ... sounds like a huge lie to me. Dude, do u know what actual chinese food looks like?!! Do u know how much veggies ppl eat? do u know how cheap veggies and fruits are?? okay, say a typical meal in my family dinner, which was considered great by my friends and other relatives~ sea food(expensive in Beijing, i must say, compared to that in vancouver. a luxury for average inner mainland chinese families):$20-30 OR types of red meat/chicken soup/duck/other: $10-20 combined rice: $1 or 2, veggies: <$1/dish (sometimes we might try some unseasoned or expensive/exclusive veggies/herbs, and in that case, the price soars accordingly, so infact average $2 i'd say) usually times 3 or more. 0-3 eggs/day:<$1.50 fruit: we were quite prodigal on that, the way americans are obsessed with dissert i guess. $10-20, cuz we had a huge amount+variety of whole fruits, hardly bought any proceeded fruit. if u only have seasonal fruit, say Beijing's watermelon in summer, it can be as cheap as 30cent/lbs, and it will taste fantastic! I think the diet structure is really important, and it certainly has to do with industrialization cuz its apparent that ppl's appetite's changing. we r eating way too rich i would say. being fat is just one of the prblems from overproduction + wasting.

In Canada, w/o my mom reminding of eating good things i was stuffing myself with american food, sometimes I hated the food, but still ate it simply out of politeness (Confucius tells us to do so >.<, manners are important!). Throwing up is gross, but really, when reading about bulimia, it definitely tempted me. Thats so sad for me, since most of the chinese dont know about such yet they r healthy n good looking. For now I feel frustrated about my weight and I can feel myself at the cusk of eating disorders-so now i know how ppl develop eating disorders. if u live in north america and u wanna stay a particular weight, u develop an eating disorder!!! plus, americans think skinny ppl have eating disorders or those kids are not fed. do u seriously think asians IN ASIA are 'sickly' thin?? Really, if u r american, dont bother trying to be like asian asians unless u r actually going to asia n wanna be part of it. An eating disorder is not worth the "sickly thin" comment from the ppl u live with. however, imposing our values on other cultures seem quite ignorant. if u really wanna be asian skinny and healthy, move to asia. its beautiful, its pure, and it will take a while before its taken over by industrialization!!

about body fat, asians have more fat in their body i think. Norm: thighs should not touch, no abs will be perfect, arms should be slim, not muscular(thatll probably be considered disgusting...). ppl prefer natural beauty, at least in china. so its better to be born skinny than to starve. n starvation in adulthood leads to the loss of curves and the quality of skin that the asians value. have u noticed that asian celebs r light but hardly look like skeleton?? n u know what, ppl criticize celebs that r shorter than 5'4 and weigh more than 105 lbs. Social pressure is huge. When i weighed 45kg on weekend after some festical in beijing, i seriously didnt feel like going out any more, picture that!! it has a lot to do w the image cuz as soon as u leave ur family, it is the perspective that guides u."

+, not all asian girls r skinny, but ppl only pay attention to skinny ones. not so skinny ones generally have low self-esteem that they dont dress up a lot. its cool to be moderate while its considered sick to be arrogant, like dressing up colourfully w an ugly body. so lots of girls would be dying to lose weight to fit in clothes instead of buying a larger piece. its really true that asian environment is compeititve, esp for women since marriage is still a main thing for them. Take divorce for example, it is a lot less common since its considered inglorious for the family. And women after divorce are hardly treated equally as other girls in a relationship. age is part of the reason, since asian girls ought to get married in their 20s, or theyll be 'leftovers'. the chinese girls have more pressure in marriage or career. lazy ppl do die unless u r extraordinarily beautiful... gosh i can feel the pressure now!!! its just... not about weight.

#65 evil buddha

evil buddha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

i think a lot of asian girls are really skinny, like STICK skinny. its pretty bad :(

#66 悪人

悪人

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

it's genetics. lmao. hahaha. I mean yeah you get fat asian girls too but most of them are really skinny. I think genetics has something to do with this. Also, asian aren't a very big FAN of fast food restaurants.

#67 edartist

edartist

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

There are a lot of skinny white girls too, I just think that since Asian girls are generally shorter it gives the impression that they're very skinny.

#68 levig090

levig090

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

i agree with the majority, its definitely down to the their lifestyle that the majority of asians are so skinny they generally eat healthier foods and do plenty more exercise compared to their western counterparts

#69 kreetslaak

kreetslaak

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

i agree with the majority, its definitely down to the their lifestyle that the majority of asians are so skinny they generally eat healthier foods and do plenty more exercise compared to their western counterparts

Western? Don't you mean American, and maybe British? In mainland Europe you won't see too many fat people, even though their diet isn't always healthy and balanced either. I don't think it's genetics.

#70 applexkiwi

applexkiwi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

I am chinese about 5'6 and I weight 115lb. I really don't exercise that much...all i do is run 2.5 miles every other day and I don't watch what i eat but i really don't eat that much to begin with...so I have no idea why people in school (catholic high school in NJ) call me skinny

#71 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

I am a Chinese boy in America and I'm 5'4 and weight only 94 pounds. I do not like being so skinny because kids always laugh at me and in America (especially for boys), ppl treat being skinny as being weak. I would say this has a lot to do with bone structures and genes. I really don't exercise a lot and try eating more but it's not helping. And my mother's the same way, she loves eating out and eats a lot but she's still 105 pounds at 5'3. And so is my sister, she's 5'9 and weights 100 pounds. But almost all Asians are healthy skinny so I would think it's ok and they look really nice :)

But on the other hand, many Americans are too fat, hell go take a look at buffets. Average adult that goes to eat in those are 5'5 and 250 pounds. Same with fast food resturants. You would think they should be aware that they are fat and need to go on a diet by now but they don't lol and that's the sad part. Meanwhile, China's fast food places cost as much as American ones but their currency is 1/8 ours so obviously, they wouldn't want to eat fast food cause it's unhealthy and expensive.

#72 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

My dear most asian are not naturally skinny, they starve themselves to remain pencil thin, listen to KBS or MBC, SBS any of these TV stations and you will hear the low down, of the extreme they go thru to stay thin. As soon as the get married look how they pack on the pounds.

Edited by Grayson, 01 March 2010 - 12:35 AM.

#73 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3072 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Most asians are naturally slim. It goes for guys and girls. Some asians are over weight. I think its really in the genes, asians who are thin have high metabolic rates so their body does not absorb as much fat as people with low metabolic rates.

For asians who are naturally thin, they can eat a lot and only put on a tiny tiny bit of weight. But for people like caucasions, they put on weight a lot easier. Also asians are naturally smaller then other races, its like comparing an average asian guy with an average caucasion guy and there is a huge height and weight difference.

Some asian girls go on diets to become ultra slim but lots of asian girls are just naturally slim. Also diet plays a part too because asian food is less fatty then western foods.

#74 popo

popo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

I am unsure Asian living and eating in a Western society. They would not be just like the rest of the population.

#75 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

Most asians are naturally slim. It goes for guys and girls. Some asians are over weight. I think its really in the genes, asians who are thin have high metabolic rates so their body does not absorb as much fat as people with low metabolic rates.

For asians who are naturally thin, they can eat a lot and only put on a tiny tiny bit of weight. But for people like caucasions, they put on weight a lot easier. Also asians are naturally smaller then other races, its like comparing an average asian guy with an average caucasion guy and there is a huge height and weight difference.

Some asian girls go on diets to become ultra slim but lots of asian girls are just naturally slim. Also diet plays a part too because asian food is less fatty then western foods.

Anime, most of my best friends are asians due to my living in Asia, quite alot of them throw up or are always on diet, others excercise excessively and eat one meal per day, even those who are already has body image problem, so please do not say it natural not all.

#76 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:56 AM

My dear most asian are not naturally skinny, they starve themselves to remain pencil thin, listen to KBS or MBC, SBS any of these TV stations and you will hear the low down, of the extreme they go thru to stay thin. As soon as the get married look how they pack on the pounds.

lol lies there are some that do and same with Americans. You really think so many Asians starve themselves? Asians compared to most Europeans/Caucasians are generally smaller and healthier. Really... most Asians don't TRY to be skinny, we just ARE and it'll be hard to change.

#77 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:30 AM

lol lies there are some that do and same with Americans. You really think so many Asians starve themselves? Asians compared to most Europeans/Caucasians are generally smaller and healthier. Really... most Asians don't TRY to be skinny, we just ARE and it'll be hard to change.

Have yo ever lived in Asia?

#78 SilvaweaponxAZNx

SilvaweaponxAZNx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

Have yo ever lived in Asia?

yes twice each time for about a month

#79 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:42 AM

yes twice each time for about a month

Only! In both country a total of 7 years. So I am not talking out my ears. Plus I visit often.

I guess we are becoming fast friends eh! smile

#80 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2886 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

5'1 and 112lbs?
I dont consider that skinny..
Probably normal?

I think its just our genes
Im chinese, born and raised in US
But Im still skinny
Even though I eat a crap load of meat and food in general, I dont gain weight
Just my genes I guess

112 to 115 lbs is considered skinny but at 5'1 to 5'4 ... it's about normal. And YES, at that weight you CAN have meat on your body. I think I'm (up to) 115 lbs max or maybe a little less. All I know is I think I'm healthy and decent for my size although I want to gain more weight. I believe it is possible.

If I see people more skinny than me ... I assume they could possibly be around 90 to 100 lbs, or less.

I don't gain much weight either, so it could be somewhat genetic. But it's not just our genes

in china.. being extremely skinny is like being "in" and "hot." but i think they are overdoing it, they are too skinny and that can lead to problems later.. >.< its kinda freaky if u think about it...

Well, girls being skinny is also "in" here in the West. I think it also has to do with a typical Chinese diet

so anyone know the BMI chart for chinese people, when people say refer to the BMI, wouldnt looking at the universal (duno if its made by uk or us) one be misleading then?

It is misleading. I think averages should be based on each race AND the country you're in. Because on average, there can be some genetic differences between races and it also depends on where you're from. To judge everyone on same standards ISN'T right because on average because of race differences, in general. There are people of all ages, gender and race that can be the same size ... so it shouldn't MERELY be based on those things. It should go according to your height as a person. Your build affects that.

If you compare the average Asian in the West to those in Asia ... I'm sure there are size differences, on average.

If you REALLY want to be SPECIFIC ... it varies from person to person / individuals

Most Asians don't fried their foods and eat mainly steamed food... RICE!!! Besides, everyone in Asia wants to be skinny, so theres alot of will power.

Uh ... how about Chinese fried rice??? There's so much Chinese food that gets cooked with oil. Not all Asian food is steamed

Japanese people only eat fresh foods and alotsss of fish. The lady said that she went to Japan for a week and ate soo much more then what she eats in America. When she came back, she lost 10 pounds o.o

They also eat teriyaki and tempanyaki (cooked) and tempura (battered). It's because she didn't eat all the fatty foods here in the West, like pizza and supersized hamburgers

While you may see skinny girls now, the obesity rate in Asia is sky rocketing.

lol how so??? Unless they eat more fast food

Edited by 6shot, 01 March 2010 - 06:27 PM.