Dungeon Keeper can no longer be advertised as a free-to-play game, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.
In a statement, the ASA suggested that Dungeon Keeper is "excessively restrictive" and would likely require players to spend money to progress.
"We regarded it as extremely likely that players would reach a position where they would be unable to take any further meaningful or progressive action in the game until a timer had finished or been skipped," reads an ASA statement.
"And that these periods would become longer and more significant, and the cost of skipping increasingly higher, as the player progressed.
"From the information available in the ad, players would expect the gameplay progression and their ability to advance to be unhindered by unexpected and excessively onerous delays.
"And we therefore considered that the length and frequency of these countdown events was beyond that which would be reasonably expected by players."
The ASA ruled that Electronic Arts must not again display the advert in its current form.
"We told Electronic Arts Ltd to ensure that future ads made clear the limitations of free gameplay and role of in-app purchasing with regard to speeding up gameplay."
EA recently admitted that it had misjudged the economy with Dungeon Keeper and had made mistakes.
Originally released in 1997 for PC, Dungeon Keeper challenges players to master the 'Hand of Evil' and build the ultimate underground lair to defend it from invaders who seek to destroy their 'Dungeon Heart'.
The mobile port was criticised by Dungeon Keeper creator Peter Molyneux, who disagreed with its aggressive use of in-app purchases.
Airtight Games has closed its doors less than a month after it released Murdered: Soul Suspect, according to a report.
The Redmond-based studio's office space has been shut and its office equipment is in the process of being sold off, according to Geekwire.
Airtight Games laid off 14 employees earlier this year, while creative director Kim Swift recently joined Amazon Game Studios.
Studio management has yet to officially confirm the studio's closure.
Airtight Games previously worked on Dark Void and Quantum Conundrum.
New Oculus Rift development kits will begin shipping later this month, it has been revealed.
Oculus VR community manager Andres Hernandez said that the firm expects to ship 10,000 DK2 development kits by July 14.
"The first batch of official DK2s have left the manufacturing facility and are making their way to our distribution centres now," Hernandez explained.
"We expect to ship roughly 10,000 DK2s from the factory in July, with just over half of the units through distribution centres and on their way to doorsteps before the end of the month.
"The very first units are expected to reach developers the week of July 14."
However, having received 45,000 pre-orders, Hernandez admits that some pre-order customers won't receive their kits until August.
"We're now over 45,000 DK2 pre-orders, which is incredibly exciting," he added.
"That said, we're slightly behind in manufacturing and there's currently a high chance that some developers with estimated shipping in July may not have their DK2s shipped until August.
"We have a team in China working on continued ramp of production at our factory, and we'll work our way through the queue as fast as we can."
Earlier this year, Oculus VR was acquired by Facebook. The social media company has vowed not to redesign or rebrand the Oculus Rift.
Jul 03 2014
Ubisoft has won a patent infringement lawsuit levelled at its Uplay digital rights management service.
Digital Reg said that Ubisoft's Uplay service violated a number of its patents, including the regulating, tracking, delivering , securing and encrypting of content using DRM, reports VG247.
The Californian judge ruled in favour of Ubisoft, however, claiming that the company was immune from the suit due to an earlier settlement Digital Reg agreed with Valve.
A Ubisoft spokesperson said that the company would "aggressively fight patent cases that target the company and its innovations and technologies".
"Ubisoft is committed to defending itself against patent assertion entities - referred to as patent 'trolls' - that assert invalid or inapplicable patents against the company or the industry," the spokesperson added.
A similar suit has been filed against other companies, including Adobe, EA and Zynga.
Uplay recently experienced problems with the launch of Watch Dogs.
The PC version of the open-world title launched with Uplay authentication issues, which have since been resolved.
Vaio has launched its first laptops since its split from Sony earlier this year.
The machines are exclusive to the firm's native Japan and appear identical in design to the existing Vaio Pro and Vaio Fit, Engadget reports.
The new Vaio Pro is listed in 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch sizes variants with up to 4GB RAM, an Intel Core i7 processor, Windows 8.1, and an 11.5-hour battery.
Vaio's new 15-inch Fit measures in marginally thicker than the Pro model, but offers similar hardware specs.
Both laptops are said to include Full HD Triluminous displays, a technology that was previously exclusive to Sony.
Sony offloaded its Vaio brand in February this year, as part of extensive cost-cutting measures across the company.
Google is taking a tougher stance on design alterations made on Android Wear, Auto and TV.
The company - which showed off its new software last week - has said manufacturers using its platforms will still be allowed to make some limited customisations, such as custom apps.
"The UI is more part of the product in this case," Google engineering director David Burke told Ars Technica.
Updates to Android for smartphones has traditionally been problematic, as OEMs have manipulated the software with their own skins creating update delays for older handsets. Google is hoping to avoid this problem by keeping control over its new Android platforms.
"We want to just have a very consistent user experience, so if you have one TV in one room and another TV in another room and they both say Android TV, we want them to work the same and look the same," Burke added.
"The device manufacturers can brand it, and they might have services that they want to include with it, but otherwise it should be the same."
Apple is allegedly on the verge of pushing a 12-inch version of its MacBook Air notebook PC into mass production.
Digitimes brings word from one of the firm's component suppliers, Quanta Computer, that the machines will enter production in the third quarter of 2014.
The report states that the 12-inch computers will retain the same unibody chassis as the existing 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs, with a revised keyboard and internals.
It has also been claimed that sales of the 11-inch model have suffered due to the iPad offering the same display size.
Apple last refreshed its MacBook Air line in April, introducing improved battery life and processing power.
Rumours of a 12-inch MacBook Air packing a Retina display first emerged last year, but the iPhone maker is yet to make an official announcement regarding the future of the computer line.
Ouya has launched a temporary promotional scheme.
The developer's All-Access Pass grants purchasers a 12-month pass to 800 games for a nonrefundable payment of $59.99 (£35).
"Ouya All-Access is a pilot subscription programme we're offering to new and existing Ouya users for a limited time only," an Ouya representative said in a statement to Polygon.
"For the price of one console game, players receive access to the entire Ouya catalogue of more than 800 titles, for a full year."
The rep added: "It's just one of many things we're exploring to give players the best value, and developers the best visibility.
"Results of this test will dictate if/how we proceed with an official subscription programme."
The programme is said to cover more than 800 Ouya titles and is touted to represent a value over $2,000.
It was previously revealed that the microconsole's operating system will be available for consumers to download and install to their own hardware.
A white-coloured Ouya model made its debut earlier this year.
The Legend of Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto believes that Nintendo should be recognised as its own genre.
Describing Nintendo games as "fun, odd and goofy things", Miyamoto told the LA Times that the company is "almost its own entity".
"Nintendo isn't one simple element of an overall gaming industry," Miyamoto explained. "I really think there needs to be a Nintendo genre, that's almost its own entity.
"It's not that I don't like serious stories or that I couldn't make one, but currently in the video game industry you see a lot of game designers who are working really hard to make their games seem really cool.
"For a lot of us at Nintendo, it's difficult to decide what cool is. In fact, it's a lot easier for us to laugh at ourselves. It's almost as if we're performers.
"Our way of performing is by creating these fun, odd and goofy things."
Miyamoto introduced Project Guard and Project Giant Robot during this year's E3 gaming expo.
Scheduled to launch in 2015 for the Wii U, both games are designed to showcase the Gamepad's unique features.
The company also unveiled Splatoon, Mario Maker and a new interactive toy line called Amiibo during this year's expo.
The Wolf Among Us developer Telltale Games has released a teaser image for the season finale.
The final episode in the five-part season will be released soon, according to a Telltale tweet.
Titled 'Cry Wolf', Telltale Games is expected to announce specific launch dates in July.
The Wolf Among Us is based on Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham's Vertigo comics series Fables.
It centres around Fabletown sheriff Bigby Wolf (Big Bad Wolf), who polices the New York City neighbourhood inhabited by the characters of fairy tales.
The Wolf Among Us was recently confirmed for Xbox One and PS4.