Cliff Bleszinski's new studio has been unveiled as Boss Key Productions.
Although the former Epic Games and Gears of War developer is teasing a reveal for Monday (July 7), listings for the company are already online, according to All Games Beta.
A website for the studio asks readers to "unlock the fun", while a Twitter account suggests the first project is codenamed 'Project Bluestreak'.
While Bleszinski has yet to officially unveil the company himself, he posted a countdown on Twitter last night and said he wants to be "the guy who does things".
Last year, Bleszinski announced that he was coming out of retirement to make a first-person arena shooter.
Bleszinski left Epic Games in October 2012, after being with the developer for nearly 20 years.
He helped shape a number of franchises such as Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Gears of War.
Rob Pardo has resigned from his position at Blizzard Entertainment, it has been revealed.
The former chief creative officer announced his departure today (July 3), after being with the company for 17 years.
"After 17 years at Blizzard, with long and careful contemplation, I have made a difficult and bittersweet but ultimately exciting decision to pursue the next chapter in my life and career," Pardo said in a blog post on Battle.net.
"Blizzard Entertainment has been simply the best place in the world to be a game designer. The best aspect of designing games at Blizzard is that the entire company is passionate about the gameplay within each and every product."
He added: "I'm really proud of the contributions I was able to make to Blizzard's accomplishments.
"From building lasting games, to supporting the growth of eSports, to extending the Warcraft world into a feature film, and of course to being able to celebrate our shared passions with the Blizzard community online and at BlizzCon."
Pardo has been credited on multiple titles, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft: Blood War, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Diablo 3.
Jul 05 2014
Bounden arrived today (July 3) on Android, Game Oven has confirmed.
Although its Android launch was delayed due to some gyroscope issues, the dancing title is now available on the Google Play Store.
Designed for two individuals, the game features choreography by the Dutch National Ballet.
Gameplay involves holding either end of the device and tilting it around a virtual sphere following a path of rings.
It contains seven dances, classical music and unlockable achievements.
Jul 03 2014
Microsoft is apparently developing a fitness band, rather than a smartwatch as previously rumoured.
WinSuperSite claims that the firm's answer to the Samsung Gear Fit will not be limited to Windows Phone devices, working with all mobile platforms.
The mystery device is said to monitor the user's health using a range of sensors and will display notifications from a synced smartphone.
Numerous leaked patent filings have given credence to reports that Microsoft is on the verge of entering the wearables market.
A recent document filed by the computing giant alluded to a system for displaying contextually-relevant information on wearable devices, suggesting the Microsoft hardware will offer Google Now-like features.
Microsoft has been tipped to announce and launch its fitness band in the fourth quarter of 2014.
Microsoft has tightened security on its webmail services in response to a damning Google report.
The firm's Outlook, Hotmail, MSN and Live accounts are now protected by Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption.
Google's report suggested that 50% of all messages sent from the web-based versions of the aforementioned services arrived at their destination unencrypted.
Microsoft claims that the new security features have been in the works for six months, long before the concerning report emerged.
Google was itself criticised for its email practices when reports emerged that it scans the contents of Gmail messages to serve tailored adverts to users.
The web giant updated its terms of service in April to offer more transparency about this policy.
Google has bought Songza, adding the free streaming service to its Play Music portfolio.
Songza recommends various playlists based on time of day and mood or activity, and uses the slogan "Good music makes good times".
When announcing the deal on Tuesday (July 1), Google did not disclose the financial terms of its buy.
The move comes just after Apple bought the Beats Music service, which also creates playlists catering to users' mood along with expert music suggestions.
Google said that it has no plans to tinker with Songza, but the tech company does also own YouTube and a streaming integration could be in the works.
Songza is available online for free, without the interruption of audio ads, and has versions for Apple and Android-powered mobile devices, as well as Google's Chromecast.
Apple is stepping up security on its iCloud platform with the introduction of a two-step verification system.
Users must now set up a trusted device to gain access to iCloud.com, as well as services such as Pages, Mail and Calendar, Apple Insider reports.
A four-digit code is sent to the external device, and this must be entered on the iCloud website in order to proceed.
Web-based application Find My iPhone is not subject to the verification system, likely because many customers' external device will be the handset in question.
The iPhone maker previously boosted Apple ID security with two-step verification, forcing users to verify their identity before making purchases on iTunes or the App Store.
Apple is gradually rolling out the update, which is expected to find its way to all users within the coming days.
Jul 03 2014
Sony's Walkman turns 35 years old today (July 1), having made its debut back in 1979.
The iconic music player is the product that transformed the Japanese company into a global name, selling more than 220 million units to date.
Although the Walkman was most prominent in the 1980s and 1990s, the brand is very much alive today, with Sony launching an Android-powered iteration of the device earlier this year.
Early cassette tape-based versions of the product made way for the Sony Discman in the mid-90s as the CD format gained traction, but the Walkman branding was soon restored when Sony realised it had become synonymous with portable music.
Sony adopted the Minidisc format at the turn of the millennium, but this failed to catch on despite offering superior sound quality.
Memorable Walkman devices include the original Walkman TPS-L2, the bestselling Walkman WM-2, the sonically-superior Walkman Professional line, and iPod-rivalling MP3 player the Sony NW-HD5.
The Walkman brand helped Sony maintain its position as global leader in the sector in the days before Apple turned its attention to music players, but it reported losses of £685 million in 2008, the same year it produced its final cassette-based player.
Sales figures for recent Walkman devices indicated that the brand has begun to recover, proving that there is life in the old dog yet.
Lindsay Lohan is suing the makers of the Grand Theft Auto video games.
The Mean Girls star says that latest instalment Grand Theft Auto V based a character on her without her permission.
Lohan's suit against Take-Two Interactive Software Inc - which was filed today (July 2) - says the character Lacey Jonas, who seeks help skirting paparazzi, is an "unequivocal" reference to the actress.
She also claims her image, voice and styles from her clothing line are used in the game, with legal documents alleging that "the portraits of the Plaintiff [Lohan] incorporated her image, likeness, clothing, outfits, Plaintiff's clothing line products, ensemble in the form of hats, hair style, sunglasses, jean shorts worn by the Plaintiff that were for sale to the public at least two years".
The game also features a previous home of Lohan's: West Hollywood's Chateau Marmont hotel.
It was first reported in December that Lohan was considering taking legal action against the makers of GTA V.
Grand Theft Auto V was the biggest selling game of 2013, and has sold over 32.5 million units worldwide.
A Hearthstone tournament in Finland has banned female players from competing because they cannot play in the world championships.
A set of qualifiers arranged by eSports firm Assembly Summer 2014 has disallowed any females from entering in case they knock out male competitors.
"In accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only," head of admin Markus Koskivirta told PC Gamer.
"This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."
This is because the IeSF World Championship, which the winners from the Finnish qualifiers will be entered into, divides games by gender.
Males can only compete in DOTA 2, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone and Ultra Street Fighter IV, while females can compete in Starcraft 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
Commenting on its decision to divide games by gender, the IeSF said in a statement: "The decision to divide male and female competitions was made in accordance with international sports authorities, as part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports."
Elaborating further, it states: "We know that e-Sports is largely dominated by male players and females players are actually a portion of the overall player base. By hosting a female-only competition, we strive to promote female gaming on a global scale."
"IeSF is very close to get e-Sports recognised as a true sports like it should be. Part of that effort is to comply with the international sports regulations. For example, chess is also divided into male / female leagues."
Assembly Summer 2014's organiser Koskivirta added: "We would also like to point out that the Finnish eSports Federation is currently lobbying for the equal rights of male and female players in the IeSF tournaments.
"This is an ongoing process and we of course welcome any support in ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)