Atari's recently unearthed ET: The Extra-Terrestrial cartridges will be put up for sale, it has been confirmed.

700 copies of the game will be appraised, certified and sold by the Alamogordo City Commission, according to Polygon.

"We have been working with the space museum for curation, both for displaying and selling the games; they are now artifacts," explained Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea.

"The City Commission acted on Tuesday to give 100 of the games to (documentary production companies) Lightbox and Fuel Entertainment. There are 700 that we can sell."

While the process of selling the games is yet to be decided, some copies will be distributed to local museums.

With more than 700,000 games remaining buried, Galea hopes the landfill site will become a tourist attraction. Proceeds from game sales could even be used to create a sign.

Atari paid millions to acquire the rights to make a game based on the Steven Spielberg blockbuster, but the subsequent product was mauled by critics.

Its failure is seen as one of the contributing factors in the collapse of home console gaming a year later, which lasted until the launch of the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985.

The games were dug up as part of a documentary directed by Zak Penn for Xbox.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Initial problems affecting Watch Dogs on PC have been repaired, Ubisoft has revealed.

The PC version of the recently-released open-world title launched with Uplay authentication issues, which the publisher says have been resolved.

"Issues with Uplay Authentication have now been resolved," Ubisoft said on Twitter.

"We will keep monitoring to make sure it remains stable. Thanks for your patience."

Watch Dogs is also available on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, with a Wii U rendition scheduled for later.

Digital Spy

read full article...

Oculus Rift is an 'anti-social' piece of technology, according to Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick.

Speaking to Bloomberg, the executive asserted that his company is still open to the idea of supporting the forthcoming virtual reality headset.

"I think for a core gamer, it could be a wonderful experience; someone who really likes to be immersed," Zelnick said (via GameSpot).

"But a lot of people who play video games, for example my kids, they play with their friends sitting next to them, so that technology is not going to appeal to them. So I think it's very much a core technology."

He added: "It is an anti-social technology, but we will support it to the extent it's brought to market and it works for our games.

"It is apparently great. Our people who have tried it, love it. I have not actually [tried Oculus Rift]. Everyone says it's great."

Earlier this week, Zelnick confirmed that Take-Two is planning to eventually release new Red Dead Redemption and BioShock instalments.


Digital Spy

read full article...

The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us have been confirmed for Xbox One and PS4.

Telltale Games confirmed that both seasons of The Walking Dead and season one of The Wolf Among Us will be available at retail on next-gen platforms later this year.

The Walking Dead: Season Two and The Wolf Among Us will also release at retail for Xbox 360 and PS3.

"Today, we can confirm that The Walking Dead: Season One, The Walking Dead: Season Two and The Wolf Among Us will be coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 later this year," reads a Telltale statement.

"Furthermore, The Walking Dead: Season Two and The Wolf Among Us will be released as retail discs for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 following their continuing success as digital downloads."

Telltale will announce release dates in the future, although a previous listing for The Wolf Among Us advertised a November launch.

Amazon, meanwhile, is advertising The Walking Dead: Season One - Game of the Year Edition for September 12 on PS4 and Xbox One.

The game was previously listed for July with all five episodes and the '400 Days' add-on pack.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Marvel Heroes 2015 has been revealed by Gazillion Entertainment.

This year's update to the free-to-play massively multiplayer online game is scheduled to debut on June 4.

Serving as a new launch for the Marvel Heroes brand, the update introduces additional content, such as end-game raids and alternate advancement systems.

"Marvel Heroes 2015 nicely represents everything we have accomplished and intend to accomplish with one name," said Gazillion CEO David Brevik.

"We've come a very long way since our original launch a year ago, and the now imminent release of Marvel Heroes 2015 alongside our massive anniversary celebrations marks the beginning of something even better."

He added: "We truly believe we put more improvements into our game than any other iterative release out there.

"The 2015 moniker reaffirms our commitment to keep doing it."

Marvel Heroes was originally released June 4, 2013.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Electronic Arts has closed Dungeon Keeper studio Mythic Entertainment.

EA confirmed the news in a statement to Kotaku, revealing plans to concentrate mobile development in other studios.

"We are closing the EA Mythic location in Fairfax, Virginia, as we concentrate mobile development in our other studio locations," reads an EA statement.

"We are working with all impacted employees to provide assistance in finding new opportunities, either within EA or with other companies via an upcoming job fair."

In addition to Dungeon Keeper, Mythic Entertainment also developed Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot.

The recently released Dungeon Keeper reboot was criticised by Peter Molyneux.

The original Dungeon Keeper creator was critical of the game's aggressive use of in-app purchases, describing it as "ridiculous".


Digital Spy

read full article...

Take-Two is planning to release new Red Dead Redemption and BioShock games in the future.

Speaking at a recent conference (via Gamespot), Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick described Red Dead Redemption as a "permanent" franchise when discussing the firm's "selective" approach to game releases.


"It's obvious that GTA is a permanent franchise as long as we keep delivering this incredible quality," Zelnick explained.

"It seems quite obvious that Red Dead is a permanent franchise, again with the same caveat, or Borderlands, for example, and NBA and others."

Zelnick also confirmed that 2K Marin will be responsible for the BioShock franchise going forward, explaining that there's still a lot of upside to the franchise.

"We haven't given any colour on how you should think about it yet except we do believe it's beloved; we think it's important [and] certainly something that we're focused on; something 2K Marin will be responsible for shepherding going forward," Zelnick continued.

"I think there's a lot of upside in that franchise. It hasn't necessarily been realised yet.

"And the question for the future, assuming we decide to answer the question, would be 'how do you stay true to that creatively?' 'How do you do something exciting?' 'How do you do expand the market?' That would be the natural drill.

"We're starting from a good point on it. And certainly it's been a great piece of business for us; it's been a profitable piece of business."

Recent reports suggest that a Red Dead Redemption sequel could be released as soon as this year.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Sony has announced plans to carry out PSN maintenance on Monday, June 2.

PSN will be offline from 5.50pm UK time (9.50am PT) until 11.30pm UK time (3.30pm PT) on Monday evening.

During the maintenance period, users will be unable to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home and Account Management services.

Online play will be available to users who sign in to PSN before the maintenance kicks off.

Sony typically warns of additional downtime for testing after maintenance periods end.

Maintenance periods are often used to make changes to the system, but are sometimes Sony's way of checking everything is working as it should.

Digital Spy

read full article...

Apple has confirmed a $3 billion deal to buy Beats Electronics and Beats Music.

The tech giant's deal with Beats Electronics comes after weeks of speculation, and will see the company's co-founders Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine join Apple.

Apple has agreed to pay $2.6 billion for the purchase price, as well as an additional $400 million over time.

"Music is such an important part of all of our lives and holds a special place within our hearts at Apple," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a deal announcement.

"That's why we have kept investing in music and are bringing together these extraordinary teams so we can continue to create the most innovative music products and services in the world."

Iovine added: "I've always known in my heart that Beats belonged with Apple. The idea when we started the company was inspired by Apple's unmatched ability to marry culture and technology.

"Apple's deep commitment to music fans, artists, songwriters and the music industry is something special."

This deal will give Apple control over Beats Electronics' popular headphones and speakers branding, in addition to Beats Music's streaming service.

Apple was first reported to be in talks to buy Beats in early May, although doubts arose when it was reported that executives were unhappy that the acquisition talks had leaked.

Beats Electronics was launched in 2006, and has since become an industry leader.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Mobile phone companies must offer better deals to customers, Which? magazine has said.

The consumer rights group has launched its Unlock Better Mobile Deals campaign as research shows most people don't trust their provider to put them on the best deal when they end their contract.

"Mobile phones are an essential part of daily life for many people and consumers shouldn't be locked into contracts that do not suit their usage," Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said.

"We want to send a message to mobile phone companies that they should help customers get a better deal by alerting people that their contracts are about to end and by unlocking handsets for free."

Which? called on providers to give customers with their contract expiry date, one month's notice before their contract ends and details of all the available deals to best match their needs.

It also urges firms to unlock handsets for free, sell pay as you go handsets unlocked and automatically unlock contract phones for free at the end of the contract.

A poll of 2,111 UK adults found that only 40% trust their provider to put them on the best deal for their usage at the end of their contract. 42% think there is a better value tariff for their usage than their current contract.

66% of people think it unfair that phones are locked to a provider's network and 82% think unlocking should be done for free when a contract ends.

A Carphone Warehouse spokesperson added that it uses an advanced tool to help customers navigate the 92,000 tariff combinations available.

"Which's findings echo our own understanding of mobile phone consumers - value is the most important thing," they added.

"However that isn't simply taking the lowest possible ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...