- More than three days after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished from the skies, there were still no signs Tuesday of the missing plane's whereabouts.
Every lead that has raised hopes of tracing the commercial jet and the 239 people on board has so far petered out.
The challenge facing those involved in the huge, multinational search is daunting; the area of sea they are combing is vast.
And they still don't know if they're looking in the right place.
"As we enter into Day 4, the aircraft is yet to be found," Malaysia Airlines said in a statement Tuesday.
Over the past few days, search teams have been scouring tens of thousands of square miles of sea around the area where the plane was last detected, between the northeast coast of Malaysia and southwest Vietnam.
They have also been searching off the west coast of the Malaysian Peninsula, in the Strait of Malacca, and north into the Andaman Sea. The airline said Tuesday that authorities are still investigating the possibility that the plane might have tried to turn back toward the Kuala Lumpur airport from where it set off.
The search also encompasses the land in between the two areas of sea.
But it could be days, weeks or even months before the searchers find anything that begins to explain what happened to the plane, which disappeared early Saturday en route to Beijing.
In the case of Air France Flight 447, which disappeared over the Atlantic in 2009, it took five days just to locate the first floating wreckage.
And it was nearly two years before investigators found the bulk of the French plane's wreckage, and the majority of the bodies of the 228 people on board, about 12,000 ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Mar 11 2014
A man ended up being stuck in an underground drain for two days after chasing a $20 bill - which he never actually found.
Fortunately his cries for help were heard by a group of passing schoolkids and an emergency crew came to his rescue.
The unnamed male from Oklahoma told police that his desperation for cash is what forced him to such extreme lengths to recover the lost note.
Sergeant John Chelenza told KSWO News: "We could hear a man yelling for help.
"We see a gentleman down in the bottom of it (the drain) and it seemed that he had been down there a couple of days."
"That's the first time in going on 28 years that we have found somebody down in a storm drain."
Police officer Alicia Redding said: "I was amazed. I was confused how he had gotten down there and amazed that he was still okay."
Mar 11 2014
After losing a bet to his friends, a 22-year-old New Zealand man had to legally change his name to arguably the most ridiculous name in history.
The 22-year-old lost a drunken poker bet 5 years ago, which gave his so-called friends the opportunity to get him to legally change his name to "Full Metal Havok More Sexy N Intelligent Than Spock And All The Superheroes Combined With Frostnova."
Frostnova found out that last week the New Zealand Ministry of Social Development accepted the name change. Frostnova will have to change his name on all of his legal documents and identification including his passport and driver's license.
What makes this story so much more absurd is that New Zealand has an odd naming policy and has rejected submitted name for children like Majesty, King, Knight, Princess, Justice, Anal, V8, 89, Mafia No Fear, Lucifer, full stop and *.
Search and rescue crews from several countries were scrambling Saturday to locate a Malaysia Airlines plane with 239 people aboard, including three Americans, that disappeared after losing contact with air traffic control on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The airline said the Boeing 777-200 "lost contact" with Subang Air Traffic Control at 2:40 a.m., two hours into the flight. The plane had been expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m. Saturday.
Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said there was no indication that the pilots had sent a distress signal, suggesting that whatever happened to the plane occurred quickly and possibly catastrophically.
China's state-run news agency Xinhua reported the plane was lost in airspace controlled by Vietnam, and never made contact with Chinese air traffic controllers. There have been no reports of a plane crashing into Chinese waters, and China is assisting the airline in its search for the plane.
Vietnamese air force planes on Saturday spotted two large oil slicks in the area where the plane vanished in the first sign that the aircraft carrying 239 people on board, including two infants and 12 crew members, had crashed.
The slicks were each between 6 miles and 9 miles long. There was no confirmation that the slicks were related to the missing plane, but the statement said they were consistent with the kinds that would be produced by the two fuel tanks of a crashed jetliner.
The airline said in a statement that it is currently notifying next-of-kin about the situation. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," Yahya said.
Those aboard included 152 passengers from China, 38 from Malaysia, seven from Indonesia, six from Australia, five from India, three ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
For six years the bills were paid, the grass was cut and no one noticed the body of the dead woman sitting in the back seat of a car in a garage of a residential Pontiac, Michigan neighborhood.
Her mummified body was finally found this week by someone dispatched to check on the property that fell into foreclosure after the money ran out of her account and the mortgage payments stopped, police said on Friday.
"It is kind of the perfect storm for a mysterious set of circumstance and a challenge because of the extreme degradation of the body," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said in a telephone interview.
The woman has not yet been positively identified, but it is thought she is a person who stopped working in 2008 and had set up all of her bills to be paid automatically from her bank account.
She is also thought to have worked as a contractor in the financial department for a major automobile company.
A neighbor cut her lawn, her mail was sent to the post office and there was no family living nearby, Bouchard said.
"The last withdrawal from her account was in March 2013," he added.
Neighbors said the woman had family in Germany and would be gone for days or weeks at a time. When she was back home, she kept to herself, local broadcaster WXYZ reported.
"Nobody came over there to check on the lady. It's weird. And it's actually scary," a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous told the local TV station.
A cause of death was under investigation.
NEW YORK, March 7 (UPI) -- A 75-year-old New York woman who won a $2 million lottery jackpot said she got her numbers from a fortune cookie.
Great-grandmother Emma Duvoll, who collected her winnings Thursday, said she kept her fortune cookie slip when she and her sons picked up food from Sammy's Noodle Shop & Grill in Greenwich Village and she used the numbers from the slip when she bought a lottery ticket from Hanneford's grocery store, the New York Post reported Friday.
Duvoll said playing the lottery using family birthdays and anniversaries had failed to yield results and she decided to use her fortune cookie numbers because she had heard of the same strategy being successful for someone else.
"I heard about it once, a long time ago," Duvoll said. "You try anything once. And this time it worked!"
Duvoll matched five numbers in the Feb. 1 drawing, earning $1 million, but missed the Powerball number. Her payout was doubled to $2 million because she paid an extra $1 for the Power Play option when she bought the ticket.
Duvoll, who collected a lump sum payment of $1,246,085 after taxes, said she and her husband, Dwight, 86, don't expect the windfall to change their lives too much.
"We're very content they way we are," Duvoll said. "It will probably go into savings and investments."
TAMPA, Fla. – Authorities say a Florida woman who was 9 months pregnant and her family became ill after eating meat tainted with LSD.
Tampa police say doctors induced labor and the woman had a healthy baby boy. The entire family was eventually released from the hospital in good condition.
Tampa police say the family of four ate the tainted meat Monday. The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office reported Friday that the meat had been contaminated with the hallucinogenic drug.
Police say the bottom round steak was purchased from a Wal-Mart in Tampa. The store has turned over all its meat to police for testing.
Local police, along with county health officials and state and federal agriculture officials, are investigating how the drug got into the meat.
It was Superdog to the rescue.
A family in Los Angeles was home when armed intruders broke in – but their medium-sized pooch may have saved their life.
Charlie was one of three dogs at the Pineo family home in Los Angeles when two men barged into the house. The three dogs chased out the intruders, who fired shots at the pets as they ran off.
Charlie was struck in two of her legs and the other dogs tried to push her back into the house after she was hurt, according to the North Central Shelter’s Facebook page.
“Everybody said good-bye to the dog. For us, she was dead,” dog owner Armando Casillas told KTLA. “I saw the dog coming through the house bleeding.”
Thanks to an online fundraising campaign, Charlie had a lifesaving surgery and is now recovering at home.
Family members said they were glad they could save the dog’s life – since she likely saved theirs. If Charlie had not been in the line of fire, the bullets could have hit one of the children, the family said.
Charlie was taken by Animal Control to the North Central Shelter because the family could not afford to get her to an emergency veterinarian on their own.
Initially, when told the cost of the surgery to save Charlie’s life, the family almost thought they would not be able to save her. But a technician at the shelter reached out to the North Central Shelter Intervention Program, which helps owners find resources.
Karri Lowe Armstrong, who works at the shelter, went online to seek donations to save Charlie. In less than an hour, about $4,000 (the cost of the surgery) had been raised.
“We didn’t know. It was a surprise ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
A man of the United Kingdom, was charged with manslaughter after he failed to call for help when his son was electrocuted.
Shaun Stewart, 52, of Barnsley, appeared at the Sheffield Crown Court, after his son died while they tried to steal copper.
Brent Shaun Campbell, 29 , was electrocuted by 11,000 volts of electricity. The jury heard how the father and son traveled to the Tyers Hall pumping station in Darfield, with the intent of stealing what they thought was expensive copper cables.
The pumping station is a Northern Power Grid circuit breaker that provides electricity to 3,000 customers. To their disappointment, the overhead cable was actually made of aluminum, with has a much lower value than copper.
The duo decided to take the metal anyway. In order to reach the metal, they sawed down a pole, which supported three cables.
Prosecutors said that they did not realize the lines were energized. As a result, Campbell suffered a fatal electric shock and his father was seriously injured in the leg, face and neck.
After the incident occurred, Stewart did not call for help. Instead, he returned home without his son and told his wife he could not remember what happened.
He was taken to a hospital where he was treated for third degree burns. Sheffield Police received a call from the pumping station after employees found a body in a nearby field.
When the area was confirmed to be safe at 3:02 a.m., Campbell was discovered and pronounced dead at the scene.
After an investigation, Stewart was arrested for theft. During the interview with police, he admitted that he and his son went there to steal cables as they both needed money, according to the prosecutor.
He is now ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
LAS VEGAS, March 6 (UPI) -- A California businessman's lawsuit against a Las Vegas casino alleges he was allowed to gamble while "blackout drunk" and was loaned $500,000 by management.
Mark Johnston, 52, the retired owner of a southern California car dealership, alleges in his lawsuit the Downtown Grand Casino, which opened under its current name and owners in October 2013, violated Nevada laws by allowing him to play blackjack and pai gow for several hours during a Super Bowl weekend trip to Las Vegas, legaluspokersites.com reported Thursday.
Nevada laws prohibit allowing visibly inebriated patrons to continue gambling or receive comped drinks. Johnson alleges he was already "blackout drunk" when he arrived at the Downtown Grand and he was comped several drinks and given a $500,000 loan by management to continue gambling.
Johnson said he put a stop on the payment of the markers when he emerged from his drunken state on Super Bowl Sunday and discovered how much he had lost.
"It's certainly an extraordinary case," attorney Sean Lytte said. "This is not a story that I've ever heard before, where someone was blackout intoxicated where they couldn't read their cards, and yet a casino continued to serve them drinks and issue them more markers. It's a very heavy-handed and unusual approach that we haven't seen in this town in a long time."
The Downtown Grand has filed a countersuit against Johnson, alleging he is attempting to avoid paying his gambling debt.