A Czech man was so intent on doing right by his lenders that he robbed a bank, before turning himself into the police to pay off his debt to society.
The 48-year-old stole tens of thousands of koruna (hundreds of euros, dollars) from a bank in a Prague suburb, police spokesman Tomas Hulan told AFP.
He walked into the bank on Monday, dressed normally and without a mask, and patiently waited in line before showing the teller a piece of paper saying he had a pistol in his briefcase.
"Ten minutes later, he called (the police emergency hotline) 158 to confess what he had done and promise to turn himself in, which he did the next evening," Hulan said.
The first-time offender told police he had wanted to pay off a loan from "some nice people" who had helped him after he was robbed.
"The man was an upstanding citizen till now. That's why he remains a free man while we conduct our probe," Hulan said, adding the man faced up to 10 years in jail.
Dec 04 2013
A woman thought to be the first person facing charges for driving while wearing Google Glass has pleaded not guilty in court.
Cecilia Abadie, 44, admits she had the hi-tech eye-wear on but says the device was turned off at the time.
Her lawyer William Concidine said: "Our primary argument is that Ms Abadie was not driving while the Google Glass was actually operational.
"There is nothing illegal about simply wearing the Google Glass while it is not turned on."
The device features a thumbnail-size transparent display above the right eye.
It lets wearers take pictures, record video, send messages or perform other tasks with touch controls or by speaking commands.
It connects to the internet using Wi-Fi hot spots or wirelessly through mobile phones.
Abadie was pulled over in October on suspicion of going 80mph in a 65mph zone on a San Diego freeway.
The patrol officer saw she was wearing Google Glass and added a citation usually given to people driving while a video or TV screen is on in the front of their vehicle.
She was charged with speeding and distracted driving and appeared in court in the city where she denied both alleged offences.
Mr Concidine added: "The issue will be what does the officer who cited Ms Abadie testify to at the trial regarding whether he saw, or did not see, the Google Glass being used while Ms Abadie was driving the vehicle.
"I believe that this case is unique in that this ... is the first known case involving Google Glass.
"As technology continues to advance, we always question how the law will respond to that technology.
"Google Glass is that next step in technology, and it will be interesting to see ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Nigerian police said on Wednesday that they raided a home and freed 16 pregnant girls and young women allegedly being forced to have babies to be sold.
"We carried out a raid on a residence in Owerri following an intelligence report and rescued 16 expectant mothers," Imo State police spokeswoman Joy Elomoko told AFP.
"The girls were between 14 and 19 years old and in different stages of pregnancy."
The male owner of the home, who was arrested, had registered it as a non-governmental organisation promoting women's and children's issues, Elomoko added.
An unlicensed automatic pump action shotgun was also recovered during the raid.
Elomoko said the rescued women and girls told officers that they were each offered 100,000 naira (632 dollars, 466 euros) to sell their babies after delivery.
An investigation was also under way over a case of a missing baby from the illegal home.
"We found out that the suspect could not explain the whereabouts of a baby that was recently delivered in the home," the spokeswoman said.
"We are suspecting that the baby might have been sold for (black magic) rituals," she said, adding that the suspect would be taken to court after police investigation.
Nigerian security agents have uncovered a series of alleged baby factories in recent years, notably in the southeastern part of the country.
Last month, six pregnant teenage girls were freed in a raid on an illegal clinic in the oil city of Port Harcourt.
Human trafficking is widespread in west Africa, where children are bought from their families to work in plantations, mines and factories or as domestic help.
Others are sold into prostitution, and less commonly they are tortured or sacrificed in black magic rituals.
(article cut to save bandwidth)
Dec 04 2013
A lorry carrying "extremely dangerous" radioactive waste has been stolen in Mexico.
The truck was carrying nuclear waste from a hospital to a storage centre when it was taken in Tepojaco, north of Mexico City.
The UN's nuclear watchdog said the material, cobalt-60, which is used to treat cancer patients, could be harmful if removed from its protective casing.
"At the time the truck was stolen, the source was properly shielded," the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in a statement.
"However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged.
"The Mexican authorities are currently conducting a search for the source and have issued a press release to alert the public."
In theory, the haul could be used in a so-called "dirty bomb" - an explosive device capable of spreading radiation over a vast area.
Experts have previously warned of the dangers posed by large amounts of radioactive material stored in places like hospitals, universities and factories.
In 2012, the IAEA received 24 reports of theft or loss and warned the figure was only the "tip of the iceberg".
A man thought his camera was lost forever when an eagle took it.
The sea eagle has recorded its 100 kilometer (70 mile) journey over Western Australia.
Roneil Skeen set up the camera with a motion sensor near the Margaret River to try to capture images of freshwater crocodiles.
The camera disappeared shortly thereafter. "Our camera disappeared. We thought it had fallen into the water," Skeen said.
Recently, Skeen received a phone call from a Parks and Wildlife ranger, who had found the device near the Mary River, over 100 miles away from where it was placed.
Footage from the camera revealed that the culprit was a sea eagle.
The video showed the eagle scooping up the video camera, and flying with it in the air.
Later, the eagle dropped it on the ground.
The animal was seen pecking at the camera before it flew away.
Skeen said that he and other rangers were surprised and amazed by the video.
"It was pretty cool so we were pretty shocked,” Skeen said.
Dec 04 2013
LAGOS, Nigeria – Entombed at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in an upended tugboat for three days, Harrison Odjegba Okene begged God for a miracle.
The Nigerian cook survived by breathing an ever-dwindling supply of oxygen in an air pocket. A video of Okene's rescue in May that was posted on the Internet more than six months later has gone viral this week.
As the temperature dropped to freezing, Okene, dressed only in boxer shorts, recited the last psalm his wife had sent by text message, sometimes called the Prayer for Deliverance: "Oh God, by your name, save me. ... The Lord sustains my life."
To this day, Okene believes his rescue after 72 hours underwater at a depth of about 100 feet is a sign of divine deliverance. The other 11 seaman aboard the Jascon 4 died.
Divers sent to the scene were looking only for bodies, according to Tony Walker, project manager for the Dutch company DCN Diving, who were called to the scene because they were working on a neighboring oil field 75 miles away.
The divers had already pulled up four bodies.
So when a hand appeared on the TV screen Walker was monitoring in the rescue boat, showing what the diver in the Jascon saw, everybody assumed it was another corpse.
"The diver acknowledged that he had seen the hand and then, when he went to grab the hand, the hand grabbed him!" Walker said in a telephone interview Tuesday.
"It was frightening for everybody," he said. "For the guy that was trapped because he didn't know what was happening. It was a shock for the diver while he was down there looking for bodies, and we (in the control room) shot back when the ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
A Biblically-named restaurant in China where patrons can pay whatever they want -- or nothing at all -- has shown that while loving your neighbour may be laudable, it is a risky business model.
The "Five Loaves and Two Fish" restaurant, named for the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand, has been serving up hot meals and coffee daily to a packed house in Fuzhou since it opened its doors in August.
The city centre eatery is open 24 hours a day and is known for its seafood and local Fujianese cuisine, with specialities including garlic scallops, beef with scallions, and pickled pork.
Diners are expected to wash their own dishes after eating and then put whatever money they want to pay into a box.
But according to its investors, as many as one fifth of patrons opt to pay nothing, and the restaurant has lost 250,000 yuan ($41,000) since it opened.
"We initially expected the restaurant to stay open for two months, and now it has lasted three. The losses are not unbearable," owner Liu Pengfei, 50, told the state-run China Daily newspaper.
Liu said in an October television interview that "what we care about most is not money, but trust" -- but he now plans to encourage patrons who have not been paying to explain their reasons why not.
"They can tell me they don't have enough money, that's fine. But paying nothing and saying nothing is totally different," he told the paper.
"Honesty is the first step to building trust. In my eyes, those who don't pay are sick."
Dec 04 2013
Here's a friendly reminder from the Pentagon police chief: please fill out the proper forms before you bring a bomb to work.
The advice came after security guards at the Defense Department's entrance discovered parts of a disabled homemade bomb on a civilian entering the building last month, officials said.
The incident may have set off alarm bells at other government offices but police at the sprawling headquarters for the US military are accustomed to unusual items carried in by employees.
In this case the civilian had brought in the disarmed improvised explosive device (IED) to brief senior naval officers on roadside bombs -- the number one killer of American troops over the past decade.
"He had inert components of an IED, basically wires and switches," said Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Tom Crosson.
But there was "nothing explosive," he told AFP.
The civilian, employed by the US Navy, had failed to secure written permission before showing up on November 19.
After some phone calls and checks, he was eventually let in with the bomb parts, Crosson said.
Steven Calvery, head of the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, which handles security for the giant office building in Arlington, Virginia, has since asked employees to brush up on procedures for bringing in inoperable guns or disarmed explosives.
He wrote in a memo that it would be "helpful" to ensure workers are familiar with the "authorization process" as these items require written approval from his force, according to a defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
In a surprise security check last month in which employees and visitors were randomly searched and put through x-ray screening, the Pentagon police confiscated 21 knives, seven pepper spray canisters, five shotgun shells, and a baton, said the ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Dec 03 2013
An Italian man has been arrested after telling a barman he was a Mafia chief in order to get free drinks and croissants.
Ubaldo Citarella, 52, allegedly "boasted for days" to the bartender that he was a mafia boss from the Camorra clan, reports The Local newspaper.
All the while, Citarella, from Battipaglia, near the southern Italian city of Salerno, was "eating croissants and drinking coffee and soft drinks".
He even backed up the story by leaving a bottle of petrol outside the bar in Battipaglia in response to a request to pay.
The bartender eventually grew tired of the abuses and reported Citarella to the police, who later arrested him.
A Minnesota man ticketed for disorderly conduct after he flung $1,000 in mostly small bills over a balcony at the nation's largest mall during a heavy holiday shopping day wants to give away more money, he said on Monday.
Serge Vorobyov was banned from the Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis for a year for the publicity stunt on Black Friday that has drawn attention from national media.
Vorobyov, 29, said he hoped a YouTube video of the stunt would continue to generate thousands of views so he could potentially earn money from the advertising revenue and spread the wealth.
Vorobyov said he is in the middle of a messy divorce and was forced recently to close his car-hauling business. He said he emptied his bank account and stamped the cash with his Facebook and YouTube account information.
He tossed the cash -- he said it was a mixture of a $100 bill, several $20s, $10s, $5s and 600 $1-bills -- when a group began to sing "Let it Snow."
"I had such an adrenaline rush, just throwing the money out like a madman," Vorobyov said Monday.
Mall of America said it was sympathetic to Vorobyov's personal situation, but the stunt threatened the safety of shoppers and he was banned from mall property for a year. More than 235,000 shoppers went to the mall on Friday, it said.
"By throwing money into a crowd, Mr. Vorobyov could have caused people to get injured by trying to scramble for the money or by falling over the railings -- some of which are more than 40 feet above the ground level," spokesman Dan Jasper said in an email.
Vorobyov was held by mall security until officials confirmed his stunt had resulted in no ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)