Ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych surfaced in Russia Friday, thundering defiantly against the “pro-fascist hooligans” who drove him from office.

Yanukovych warned of the dangers of “irresponsible Western policy” as he vowed to continue the fight for Ukraine’s future Friday at a press conference in Rostov-on-don, Russia—his first public appearance since last Saturday.

"I intend to keep fighting for the future of Ukraine against those who are using fear and terror to seize the country," he told reporters.

The fugitive leader said he was forced to leave Ukraine due to threats, Reuters reported. He blamed the country’s crisis on “irresponsible Western policy,”and said he trusted the "decency of Western mediators” when he signed a peace deal last week brokered by members of the European Union. But recent actions by the opposition run counter to the agreement, he said.

Yanukovych said he does not plan to ask Russia for military support in dealing with the crisis in Ukraine, where he said power was stolen by ``a bunch of radicals.”

"Fascist hooligans" have taken power in Ukraine, Yanukovych told reporters, according to the BBC.

He described the violence that followed the deal “lawlessness, terror, anarchy, and chaos.” He denied ordering police to shoot at protesters before he was forced out of power, and added that responsibility for the bloodshed in Kiev lay with the demonstrators.

Although he has spoken to Russian President Vladimir Putin on the phone, the two have not met but agreed to sit down soon, Yanukovych said. Yanukovych was surprised that Putin had not spoken publicly about the past week's events in Ukraine.

Defending his disappearance from public view in recent days, Yanukovych said he "did not flee anywhere" but left for Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine and intends to return ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

Police dispersed an angry crowd of job-seekers outside an employment office in Stockholm on Wednesday after it called 61,000 people for a recruitment meeting by mistake.

"Something has gone wrong with the mailing list...it has set off a very messy situation at the city office," said Clas Olsson, acting director of the employment office.

An email call for a recruitment meeting that should have gone out to about 1,000 job-seekers went out to considerably more people, about 61,000 - apparently all the registered job seekers in Stockholm, police said.

Hundreds of people expecting to attend crowded into the alley where the labor office is located and spilled into the adjacent street, a main thoroughfare running through downtown Stockholm.

Emotions were running high and office staff sounded the alarm, bringing police to the scene.

"When we got there it was very crowded and there were some upset feelings," Police Inspector Ulf Lindgren told Reuters.

Olsson told the Aftonbladet newspaper he did not know if the cause was a human or technical error.

Sweden's total unemployment stood at 8.6 percent in January.

Reuters

read full article...

ST. GEORGE, Utah, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- The Utah Highway Patrol said a car that led police on a seven-mile chase turned out to be driven by a confused Japanese tourist.

Lt. Brad Horne, commander of the state's DUI squad, said he noticed a vehicle traveling only 37 mph and wandering out of its lane Sunday on Interstate 15 in St. George, but the car sped up instead of stopping when he turned on his lights, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

"The vehicle was all over the road -- on the shoulder, in between the two lanes -- and the vehicle didn't stop," Horne said.

Horne said the car came to a stop after about seven miles when police put out spike strips and popped three of its tires. Police ordered the occupants out at gunpoint and determined there was something unusual about the situation when a Japanese couple and their 7-year-old son exited the car.

"That's when we realized there was probably something wrong, because they could not follow any simple instructions or directions in that process," Horne said.

Police determined the family did not speak any English and an officer who speaks Japanese was brought in to translate.

The couple said they had arrived in California from Japan that morning and rented a car to travel to Bryce Canyon.

Horne said troopers helped the family find a motel to stay the night. He said no charges will be brought against the woman, who was driving the car.

"It was a difficult situation, one that was unfortunate, but no one was hurt or injured," he said. "Obviously, if you're going to drive here in America and Utah you probably ought to know something about our laws."


(article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

Cincinnati police say a man is expected to survive after being shot 14 times.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the 35-year-old man was rushed to a hospital Wednesday night after he was riddled with bullets in the arms, legs and body.

The man's girlfriend drove him to the hospital after the attack in the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood. A 32-year-old man was arrested a few hours later and charged with felonious assault. The motive was not clear.

The suspect was expected to appear in court for the first time Thursday.

Fox News

read full article...

North Korea fired four suspected short-range missiles into its eastern waters on Thursday, a South Korean official said.

North Korea routinely conducts short-range missile tests, but the latest came three days after South Korea and the U.S. began annual military drills that Pyongyang calls a rehearsal for invasion.

A Defense Ministry official said North Korea fired four projectiles believed to be short-range missiles with a range of more than about 125 miles into the waters off its east coast. The official spoke anonymously citing department rules.

North Korea has recently eased tension by taking a series of conciliatory gestures toward South Korea such as allowing reunions between relatives who have been separated since the Korean war 60 years ago.

Earlier Thursday, North Korea presented to the media a South Korean missionary who it says was arrested last year for allegedly trying to establish underground Christian churches in the country.

Fox News

read full article...

Doctors were stunned to find pearls in a man’s body.

However, they were even more surprised when they learned how it got there.

A 61-year-old man named Zou of Beijing, China, had to undergo emergency surgery to remove 42 pearls that were embedded in his body for years as part of an unusual remedy for severe pain in the legs.

Doctors at the Nianlun Orthopaedics Hospital (NOH) in Changsha, Hunan Province, removed the pearls from the man’s waist, hips and legs. Zou suffered from back and leg pain when a friend introduced him to a doctor in Yiyang, Hunan Province, who places pearls under the skin in order to heal pain.

One of Zou’s relatives who underwent the pearl therapy, got better. In 2011, Zou decided to have the procedure done. However, Zou started experiencing a sharp pain in his legs last year, which subsequently left him unable to walk.

Doctors found that as a result of the unusual remedy, Zou had contracted bilateral femoral head necrosis, a condition which stops blood supply to the bone.

Source

read full article...

A couple, who was told they cannot have children, ended up having five kids within 9 months.

Andy and Sarah Justice of Tulsa, Oklahoma, were trying to get pregnant for three years.

However, when that did not happen they went to see a specialist. The doctor told the couple that treatments would cost them in the range of $60,000 and that would only give them a 10 percent chance of getting pregnant.

The couple decided against the expensive treatment that might not yield results. Instead, they decided to adopt children.

They adopted triplets, and while the newborns were still in the neonatal unit, the woman learned that she was pregnant. A short time later, they learned that Sarah Justice was expecting not one but two babies.

When the triplets were eight months old, Sarah gave birth to twins, bringing the number of children from zero to five in less than a year. The couple is very happy with their large family.

Source

read full article...

LAS VEGAS, Feb. 25 (UPI) -- Guinness World Records confirmed a Las Vegas man who performed 53 flips in a wind tunnel broke the record for most midair forward somersaults in 60 seconds.

Brad Hess, general manager at Vegas Indoor Skydiving, said he spent months practicing and perfecting his technique prior to his successful Guinness World Record attempt Feb. 8, , the Las Vegas Sun reported Tuesday.

"It was just perseverance, really," Hess said. "I was literally practicing two or three times a day, and that resulted in doing 200 to 300 flips a day."

Guinness confirmed Feb. 14 the attempt bested the previous record of 39 full somersaults.

Hess said the most difficult part of the record was getting used to the feeling of spinning in midair, which he likened to "being really drunk and learning to walk straight."

UPI

read full article...

A Tennessee teenager may not be allowed to attend his high school graduation after administrators found a knife inside his father’s car and slapped the student with a 10-day suspension.

On Thursday, during a random lockdown at Northeast High School in Clarksville, the car that David Duren-Sanner drove to school was chosen to be searched, according to News Channel 5. Duren-Sanner, a senior, said he gave permission for officials to look inside the car because he had nothing to hide.

But administrators found a knife belonging to his father -- who is a commercial fisherman -- wedged between the seats. Duren-Sanner said he did not know about the knife.

Duren-Sanner was suspended for 10 days and reprimanded to attend 90 days at an alternative school. He plans to appeal the suspension at a hearing Wednesday with the school board.

If the suspension is upheld, Duren-Sanner may not be able to walk at graduation, attend prom or his JROTC ball, and he may not be able to graduate at all, his family told News Channel 5.

Duren-Sanner is also facing weapons charges from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department.

More than 900 people have signed an online petition in support of Duren-Sanner, calling for the school to drop the punishments against him. The school did not respond to requests for comment from News Channel 5.

Fox News

read full article...

SAN DIEGO – A San Diego family is suing Petco after the death of their 10-year-old son from a bacterial infection they say he contracted from his pet rat.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit Monday in San Diego County seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after he was rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County medical examiner's office ruled that the cause of death was streptobacillus moniliformis infection, commonly known as rat-bite fever, after exposure to an infected rat.

The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences.

"We are deeply saddened by the Pankey family's tragic loss," Petco said in a statement. "The health and safety of people and pets is always a top priority, and we take the family's concerns very seriously."

The boy's grandmother purchased the male rat, which Aidan named Alex, because her only grandson wanted a mate for his female rat, Gomez said. The boy took the rat home May 27, 2013, and woke up the night of June 11 in severe pain with a fever and stomach problems. He was pale, lethargic and could barely walk, according to the lawsuit. He died at 1:09 a.m. the next day.

"He was a bright, energetic, friendly, happy kid who actually had a prior rat, who was a female, and he had this idea in his young head of having his female rat get married," Gomez said.

The lawsuit was not filed until now because attorneys were awaiting the lab results from the federal Centers for Disease Control, which tested the rat to confirm it was infected, Gomez said. The agency ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...