Prosecutors say they've asked a court to issue an arrest warrant for the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago — leaving at least 28 dead and hundreds missing — as the investigation into the disaster focused on steering decisions and whether a quicker evacuation order by the captain could have saved more lives.

Also Friday, a high school vice principal who had been rescued from the ferry was found hanged from a tree on Jindo, an island near the wreckage where rescued passengers have been housed.

The vice principal, identified as Kang Min-kyu, was the lead guide for 323 students on a school trip. He said in a suicide note that he felt guilty for being alive while more than 200 of his students were missing. Kang said he wanted to take responsibility for what happened because he had led the trip, according to police. He asked that his body be cremated and the ashes scattered at the accident site.

Prosecutors and police said Friday they have asked a court to issue arrest warrants for the captain and two other crewmembers.

Investigators are now looking at the sharp turn the ferry took just before it began listing and trying to determine whether the captain abandoned the ferry, The Sewol, officials said. The captain, Lee Joon-seok, 68, has not spoken publicly about his role in the incident. Officials continue to interview him and the crew.

Of the 29 crewmembers, 20, including the captain, survived, the coast guard said. Officials were investigating whether Lee got on one of the first rescue boats.

Yang Jung-jin, a senior prosecutor, said the captain was not present on the bridge when the ship was passing through an area with many islands clustered closely ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

Portland, Oregon is flushing 38 million gallons (143 million liters) of drinking water down the drain because a 19-year-old man urinated in an open reservoir early on Wednesday morning, city water officials said.

Three teens were observed at the reservoir in a Portland park at about 1:00 a.m. Wednesday, Portland Water Bureau spokesman David Shaff said, and one of them was filmed urinating through an iron fence into the water.

The other two tried to climb the fence and one got into the secure area around the reservoir, but Shaff said it is not clear what he did then.

The 50-million-gallon (189-million-liter) reservoir was taken off line and was tested for possible contamination and the results will be known Thursday. But in the meantime, the city has decided to "discard" 38 million gallons of water and clean the reservoir, Shaff said.

"That water goes directly into people's homes," David Shaff, Portland Water Bureau administrator said. "There is no way to re-treat it."

The three teens were cited for trespassing and one for public urination. Additional charges could be filed as the investigation continues.

"We are not in the arid Southwest," Shaff said, "We have hundreds of millions of gallons available, so that makes it an easy call for me" to discard the water. He estimated the cost of cleaning and replacing the water at several thousand dollars.

The Federal government has mandated that Portland and all other cities cover their water reservoirs, Shaff said, and this group of Portland reservoirs will be finished by December 2015.

Shaff has not seen the police report and could not comment on motive but said alcohol may have been involved.

Reuters

read full article...

A High Court judge in England told an “insensitive” father that he must stop emailing his children in all capital letters because it looks like he is yelling at them.

The Israeli father is in a custody dispute involving his 13-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter. During the dispute, the children have been moving back and forth between England and Israel.

The judge ordered that the father’s old style of emails, which were "equivalent to him shouting,” needed to be improved upon with the help of a family assistance officer.

"He needs help to make his messages appropriate and child friendly,” the judge said. "There's nothing worse than an email suggestive that the sender is shouting at you."

Due to the communications problems, the relationship between the children and their father will be restored "at a distance."

The parents of the children also need to work on their communications skills.

"It is all about respect and a willingness to start again in the process of trying to interact as parents in a way which will enhance rather than harm their children,” the judge said. "I wish them every success in that endeavor."

UPI

read full article...

The search for nearly 300 passengers still missing after a ferry sank off the southern coast of South Korea was hampered Thursday by strong currents, rain and bad visibility, as rescue crews said the possibility of finding survivors was slim.

Nine people, including five students and two teachers, were confirmed dead, but many expect a sharp jump in that number because of the long period of time the missing have now spent either trapped in the ferry or in the cold seawater. There was also fury among families waiting for word of passengers who were mostly high school students.

There were 475 people aboard, and some of the frantic parents of the 325 student passengers who had been heading to Jeju island for a four-day trip gathered at Danwon High School in Ansan, which is near Seoul, and on Jindo, an island near where the ferry slipped beneath the surface until only the blue-tipped, forward edge of the keel was visible.

Relatives of the three dead students wailed and sobbed as ambulances at a hospital in Mokpo, a city close to the accident site, took the bodies to Ansan. The families, who spent a mostly sleepless night at the hospital, followed the ambulances in their own cars.

The family of one of the victims, 24-year-old teacher Choi Hye-jung, spoke about a young woman who loved to boast of how her students would come to her office and give her hugs.

"She was very active and wanted to be a good leader," her father, Choi Jae-kyu, 53, said at Mokpo Jung-Ang Hospital while waiting for the arrival of his daughter's body. Choi's mother, sitting on a bench at the hospital, sobbed quietly with her head bent down on her knee.

Frigid water temperatures and the ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

MINNEAPOLIS – Football players at Minnesota State, Mankato, refused to practice for their former head coach on Wednesday, greeting his reinstatement by an arbitrator by demanding that the interim coach keep the top job.

Todd Hoffner returned to campus for the first time since the arbitrator ruled he was fired unfairly last year in the wake of a child porn investigation that ultimately cleared him.

Mavericks players came out for spring practice Wednesday afternoon but were not in uniform, The Free Press of Mankato reported. They read a statement saying they were unanimous in wanting Aaron Keen to remain as head coach.

"We've all become outstanding community members, students and athletes in the last year and a half since the removal of Todd Hoffner," said the statement, which junior safety Sam Thompson read aloud. "Throughout this process, we have been silent. It is time our voice is heard."

Thompson said the players "want answers, because this is our team," according to the MSU Reporter, a student publication.

"As a unit we have decided not to practice, because of the change-up in the coaching situation," he said.

Keen gave a brief statement saying the football program was bound by the arbitrator's ruling and that Hoffneris the head coach.

Athletic director Kevin Buisman said in a statement that players had "shared their concerns." He said a meeting was scheduled for Thursday between the players, Hoffner, Keen and the rest of the coaching staff.

Under interim coach Keen, Minnesota State finished 11-1 and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II tournament. But they were also successful under Hoffner: 34-13 in his four seasons from 2008-12.

Hoffner was arrested in 2012 over images of his children on a university-issued cellphone. Though ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

Russian President Vladimir Putin reportedly stressed his right to send Russian troops into eastern Ukraine, but rejected claims that Russian special forces are fomenting unrest in the region.

According to the New York Times, Putin emphasized that Russian Parliament's upper chamber had authorized him to use military force if necessary, and stressed Russia’s historical claim to the territory, repeatedly referring to it as “new Russia."

Putin recognized for the first time that the troops in unmarked uniforms who had overtaken Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula before its annexation by Moscow were Russian soldiers.

Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who leaked details of U.S. intelligence eavesdropping, asked Putin a question during the televised call-in show, Reuters reported.

According to the report, this exchange was the first known direct contact between Snowden and Putin since Russia granted Snowden asylum last summer.

Snowden reportedly submitted his question in a video clip and it was not immediately clear if he was speaking live or if it had been recorded earlier.

"Does Russia intercept, store or analyze, in any way, the communications of millions of individuals?" Snowden said, also asking whether Putin thinks improving the effectiveness of investigations justifies "placing societies .. under surveillance."

Putin, who was a spy during Soviet rule, said: "You are an ex-agent. I used to have ties to intelligence."

According to Reuters, Putin said Russia regulates communications as part of criminal probes, but "on a massive scale, on an uncontrolled scale we certainly do not allow this and I hope we will never allow it."

Putin said authorities need consent from a court to conduct such surveillance on a specific individual, Reuters reported.

Putin's comments Thursday came as Ukraine's Interior Minister said three pro-Russian protesters were ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

'

A Pennsylvania teenager convicted of disorderly conduct for recording his alleged tormenters in class wants changes to the district’s zero tolerance policy rather than the wishes of his mother, who wants “heads to roll” for the incident.

Shea Love, 40, said her 15-year-old son, Christian, had long been victimized by fellow students in his special education math class at South Fayette High School in McDonald, Pa. So the frustrated sophomore made an audio recording of the alleged bullying using his iPad, which school officials forced him to delete upon learning of the 7-minute segment in February. He was later convicted of disorderly conduct and fined $25 plus court costs.

“What I want is for heads to roll,” Love told FoxNews.com. “But he said to me, ‘Mom, it might make you feel better if people get fired, but that won’t change anything.’ He said there needs to be more compassion for people and changes to the zero tolerance policy. I want people’s heads to roll, but my son doesn’t and I have to respect his wishes.”

Love’s son has been diagnosed with comprehension delay and anxiety disorders, as well as ADHD. Love said his special needs can be problematic to some.

“He has a low processing speed, the way he does everything is very slow,” she said. “And some people get very frustrated by that.”

Love said her only child hasn’t been the same since the alleged incident. He has lost at least 10 pounds, requires additional therapy sessions and has missed many days of school, she said.

“This has been just devastating,” Love continued. “I’m a single mom — it’s just him and I — and I feel like they were just trying to get us to shut up. Until people started ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

US Airways said it was investigating a pornographic tweet on Tuesday sent on its Twitter account in response to a customer complaint about a flight delay, which went viral on social media.

US Airways issued an apology on Monday immediately after deleting the tweeted photograph of a naked woman lying on a bed with a toy airplane between her legs, said Davien Anderson, spokesman for US Airways.

By Tuesday morning, the apology had been retweeted nearly 13,000 times and social media was flooded with jokes and gripes about the image.

Anderson said US Airways, part of American Airlines Group Inc, was investigating the mishap. So far it has determined that the photo was originally posted to its Twitter feed by another user, but was inadvertently included in its response to the customer.

"We apologize for the inappropriate image we recently shared in a Twitter response," Anderson said in an emailed statement.

"We deeply regret the mistake and we are currently reviewing our processes to prevent such errors in the future," he said.

US Airways tweeted the photo to the Twitter alias @ElleRafter, according to an archived image of the tweet, which has since been deleted.

The customer, whose @ElleRafter Twitter page includes the tag line "(Complaining) several times a year since 2009," did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The @ElleRafter Twitter page's timeline includes a raft of consumer criticisms, ranging from UPS drivers who failed to knock on the door when dropping off packages, to the restaurant chain Red Robin failing to offer honey mustard, to the Portland Police Department's lax enforcement of crosswalk safety.

The most recent grievance appeared to be about Sunday evening's US Airways flight 1787 from Charlotte, North Carolina to Portland, Oregon. According to ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

South Korean officials said Wednesday that nearly 300 people were still missing several hours after a passenger ferry sank off that country's southern coast, leaving at least two dead and seven injured.

A government official had said earlier Wednesday that around 100 people were unaccounted for, but the number was later revised upward due to a tallying error.

The ferry was carrying 477 people, most of them high school students, and was bound for the island of Jeju when it sent a distress call at around 9 a.m. local time Wednesday as it began leaning to one side, according to South Korea's Ministry of Security and Public Administration.

The government said about 95 percent of the ship was submerged.

Two coast guard officers told the Associated Press that a 27-year-old woman named Park Ji-yeong and another unidentified person had died. Both spoke on condition of anonymity citing department rules.

Media photos showed wet students, some without shoes, some wrapped in blankets, tended to by emergency workers. One student, Lim Hyung-min, told broadcaster YTN from a gym on a nearby island that he and other students jumped into the ocean wearing life jackets and then swam to a nearby rescue boat.

"As the ferry was shaking and tilting, we all tripped and bumped into each another," Lim said, adding that some people were bleeding. Once he jumped, the ocean "was so cold. ... I was hurrying, thinking that I wanted to live."

The water temperature in the area was about 12 degrees Celsius, cold enough to cause signs of hypothermia after about 90 minutes or 2 hours, according to an emergency official who spoke on condition of anonymity citing department rules. Officials said mud on the ocean floor made underwater search operations ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – The discovery of seven dead babies in cardboard boxes in a Utah garage has police desperately seeking answers from the mother and other family members about how such a tragedy unfolded over a decade with no one noticing.

Megan Huntsman, 39, is accused of killing her babies after giving birth to the children between 1996 and 2006, investigators said. She was booked Sunday into the Utah County Jail on six counts of murder. It wasn't immediately clear if Huntsman has an attorney or why there were six counts and not seven.

The gruesome case has raised a series of questions about how the killings occurred despite Huntsman carrying out what neighbors said seemed like a normal existence. Police declined to comment on a motive and on what Huntsman said during an interview with investigators.

Her estranged husband made the discovery while cleaning out the garage after recently getting out of prison. Authorities do not believe he was aware of the killings and he isn't a person of interest at this time.

Police Capt. Michael Roberts said officers responded to a call from him Saturday about a dead infant, and then they found the six other bodies.

Family and neighbors identified the estranged husband as Darren West, who has been in prison on drug-related charges.

Roberts said police believe West and Huntsman were together when the babies were born.

"We don't believe he had any knowledge of the situation," Roberts told The Associated Press

Asked how West could not have known about the situation, Roberts replied, "That's the million-dollar question. Amazing."

The babies' bodies were sent to the Utah medical examiner's office for tests, including one to determine the cause of death. DNA samples taken from the ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...