Oct 17 2014
SAGINAW, Mich. – Only a couple of families have taken advantage of a new service available at a Saginaw funeral home.
Paradise Funeral Chapel recently started offering the option, which allows mourners to pay their last respects on the go. It was designed in part to cater to those with physical limitations.
The funeral home's president, Ivan Phillips, says he expects more customers to opt for the drive-thru once they learn it's not a gimmick and is safe to use.
Curtains covering the window open when sensors underneath the pavement recognize the presence of a car. Mourners then get three minutes to view the body as music plays.
Phillips says drive-thru viewings are set up so they don't conflict with traditional indoor viewings.
Oct 17 2014
KATMANDU, Nepal – Rescuers widened their search Friday for trekkers in Nepal's northern mountains who were stranded since a series of blizzards and avalanches battered the Himalayas early this week leaving at least 29 people killed, officials said.
The government, meanwhile, announced a high level committee with two senior ministers that would monitor and coordinate rescue efforts following criticism that the Nepal government was not doing enough to help.
Chief government official of Mustang district Baburam Bhandari said helicopters resumed search Friday to find the stranded trekkers and were covering a wider area. Trekkers were still stranded in small lodges and huts dotted along the Annapurna trail and hiking was difficult because of up to waist-deep snow and difficulty in following the trail.
Rescuers have already pulled out 78 trekkers from Mustang district and 157 from neighboring Manang district since rescue efforts began on Wednesday.
Bhandari said they planned to help dozens more on Friday as weather conditions were better and the high winds had stopped allowing more helicopter flights in the area.
Information Minister Minendra Risal said the committee ordered by the prime minister would directly monitor the rescue operation and help where ever needed. The committee would coordinate between the army, police, local administration and the private operators who are involved in the rescue.
The Nepal government was criticized for not helping enough. It was initially only the army attempting the rescue with their two helicopters on Wednesday and later joined by private trekking operators.
The Annapurna trekking route, 100 miles northwest of the capital, Katmandu, was filled with foreign hikers during the peak October trekking season, when the air is generally clear and cool. There were also many Nepalese on the trails because of local festivals.
Two trekkers from Hong Kong and 12 Israelis were airlifted Wednesday to Katmandu, where they were being treated at ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
A 6-year-old Arizona boy’s death is the latest suspected casualty of a virus that’s sickened nearly 700 others in 46 U.S. states and is responsible for the deaths of at least two children.
Starting Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) began using a new yes/no check test, which will allow them to process four to five times more specimens per day than it had been. The CDC has been seeing about 30 new enterovirus D68 cases per day, but it expects the number to jump to 90 or more a day with the enhanced test.
The latest suspected death of enterovirus is that of a 6-year-old boy in a Phoenix, Arizona suburb was confirmed Wednesday. Health officials said that the boy had a severe respiratory illness that had worsened over the weekend. His test results will be available in a week. The virus is the suspected cause for at least six other deaths, but only confirmed for two.
Meanwhile, hundreds of parents at the boy’s 1,100-student school are reportedly pulling their children out of class as a precaution.
“Parents have a lot of questions. Unfortunately, we don't have a diagnosis to tell them right now," said Erin Dunsey, a spokeswoman for the Peoria Unified School District.
The school has disinfected the classrooms, wiping desks and other surface areas. Teachers are also urging hand washing, a practice that experts have encouraged all parents to enforce among their children to avoid infection.
Enterovirus D68 is just one strain of 100 known non-polio enteroviruses in the world, according to Fox News contributor Dr. Marc Siegel, a practicing internist.
Enteroviruses cause upwards of 15 million infections annually, ranging from the common cold to meningitis. They are harbored in the GI tract, and symptoms vary depending on the strain.
Researchers first identified enterovirus D68, the current enterovirus strain, in ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 09 2014
Police have arrested the mother of a four-year-old girl who unknowingly brought heroin to a daycare centre and started to hand it out to classmates.
The child thought she was giving out candy, according to Delaware State Police. She had the heroin in a backpack her mother had allegedly given her.
Workers at the Hickory Tree Child Care Center in Selbyville alerted police and medical personnel after seeing some of the children with small bags of an unknown substance.
It was tested at the police station and turned out to be heroin.
The mother, Ashley Tull, 30, was charged with drug offences and endangering the welfare of a child.
The backpack contained 249 bags of heroin weighing 3.7g.
Tull, who also has a nine-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl, is not allowed to contact the children, who are in custody of a relative.
Several children who had come into contact with the bags, which were unopened, were taken to hospital as a precaution.
They were later released.
Oct 09 2014
Stars who have used drugs, visited prostitutes or been involved in other law-breaking will not be allowed to appear on Chinese television, movie screens or other forms of broadcast, state media said on Thursday, following a series of scandals.
The ban by the broadcast regulator, which includes radio and advertisements, is meant to "keep the industry healthy", the official China Daily reported.
"Celebrities who break the law should not be invited to appear in programs, and transmission of their words should be suspended," the newspaper said, citing a statement from the regulator.
"Recent cases involving stars using drugs or visiting prostitutes have harmed the image of the entertainment industry and set a bad example for young people," the newspaper added.
Chinese prosecutors last month approved the arrest of Jaycee Chan, son of kung fu movie star Jackie Chan, after a suspected drugs offense, the latest in a string of celebrities to fall foul of the law.
China has detained several other mostly B-list celebrities in recent months on drug-related charges, cases that have been publicized widely in both state and social media. They have included movie and television stars, film directors and a prominent screenwriter.
One director was detained on suspicion of hiring prostitutes.
The crackdown has come as the government seeks to push forward a wider campaign against extravagance and decadence.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to go after corruption and excess among the elite, a prime source of public discontent as the gap between the poor and the wealthy continues to grow.
China's Ministry of Public Security told police across the country in February to get tough on drugs, gambling and prostitution.
Oct 09 2014
The Liberian man diagnosed with Ebola last month just days after arriving in Texas has died following nearly two weeks in a Dallas hospital's isolation room, officials confirmed.
Thomas Eric Duncan, believed to be 42, who became the first person diagnosed with the killer virus on American soil during the current pandemic, died early Wednesday after a battle that sparked a national debate on screening of visitors from West Africa, which has been ravaged by the disease. His death came a day after officials began treating him with an experimental drug and days after he had taken a dramatic turn for the worse.
Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian national, had been placed on a ventilator and kidney dialysis after his health declined over the weekend.
“It is with profound sadness and heartfelt disappointment that we must inform you of the death of Thomas Eric Duncan this morning at 7:51 a.m.,” a spokesman from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital said in a statement.
"Mr. Duncan succumbed to an insidious disease, Ebola. He fought courageously in this battle. Our professionals, the doctors and nurses in the unit, as well as the entire Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas community, are also grieving his passing. We have offered the family our support and condolences at this difficult time,” the statement said.
In a statement, Duncan’s partner, Louise Troh, who is in quarantine, expressed her thanks to the Dallas community, her church and the Liberian community for their support.
“His suffering is over. My family is in deep sadness and grief, but we leave him in the hands of God. Our deepest sympathies go out to his father and family in Liberia and here in America. Eric was a wonderful man who showed compassion toward all,” the statement said.
Duncan arrived in the U.S. on a commercial flight from Liberia in late ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 03 2014
A Chinese man hospitalized with back and chest pains was found to have had an acupuncture needle lodged in his body for 40 years.
Xu Long, 60, of Jiujiang, said doctors initially told him it was "just old age" when he started developing back and chest pains, but doctors recently decided to perform an X-ray when his pain became severe.
"They told me there was a foreign body in my stomach and I just panicked thinking it was cancer," he said. "You can imagine my shock and relief when they told me it was the acupuncture needle."
Xu said he hasn't received acupuncture treatments since 1974, when he suffered stomach pains while in the Army. He said the needle must have broken before it could be removed by the Army doctor.
Dr. Ye Lin, who removed the more than 1-inch-long needle, said the discovery was "quite a surprise for all of us."
"The needle which was stuck in his intestines had turned black and was very thick because of decades of oxidation," the doctor said.
He said the needle had likely been moving around inside the man's body for years before it ended up in his intestines.
Xu said his "pains have completely gone."
"And I don't have cancer so I'm a winner all round," he said.
Pushing and yelling, hundreds of Hong Kong residents tried to force pro-democracy activists from the streets they were occupying Friday as tensions rose in the weeklong protests that have shut down parts of the city.
The scuffles in Kowloon's crowded Mong Kok district, one of several areas where protesters have camped out, were the most chaotic since police used tear gas and pepper spray last weekend to try to disperse protesters pushing for greater electoral reforms for the territory.
Police were hard-pressed to keep order as the two sides tussled in a tense standoff. The visibly older people trying to force out the vastly outnumbered younger protesters were yelling, shoving and at times trying to drag them away.
The protesters, led by university students, said that if authorities did not act to protect the unarmed, peaceful demonstrators, they would retract an agreement to hold talks with the city government as proposed by Hong Kong's leader, Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying.
"Stop the violence or we call off the talks," the groups of students and other activists said in a statement.
The democracy activists linked arms and held hands as they tried to stand their ground against the huge crowd. Police formed cordons and escorted some of the protesters away as hundreds of onlookers chanted, "Go home!"
In Causeway Bay, another area occupied by protesters, groups of young men in face masks were forced away from the protesters by police.
Police spokesman Steve Hui appealed to the members of the public to "observe the laws of Hong Kong when they are expressing their views."
The protesters have been in the streets since last Friday, pushing for the Chinese government to reverse its recent decision requiring a mostly pro-Beijing committee approve candidates for Hong Kong's first election to choose the territory's leader in 2017. The demonstrators want open nominations.
The demonstrations are ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 03 2014
STE. GENEVIEVE, Mo. – Kerry Messer, a well-known Missouri lobbyist for the pro-life movement, is asking hunters to help search for his missing wife.
His wife, Lynn, of nearly 35 years was reported missing on July 8. Messer said he woke up that morning to find her gone from their farm in Ste. Genevieve County.
The Southeast Missourian reports massive searches have turned up no clues to her whereabouts. The Missouri Highway Patrol said in July that his wife walked away from their property.
Messer says he's asking hunters who are heading into the woods for deer season to keep an eye out for his wife or any objects that might belong to her.
Detective Austin Clark of the Ste. Genevieve County Sheriff's Department says it's still investigating the disappearance.
Detailed by police officers along the New Jersey shore, 32-year-old waiter Russell J. Percenti was arrested last week for allegedly firing a shotgun at an aerial remote control “helicopter” drone flying in the vicinity of his home. According to the owner of the helicopter drone, it was being used to capture photographs of a nearby home that was currently under construction. While he was flying the drone over the unfinished home to take the photos, he heard several gunshots in the vicinity and immediately lost control of the drone.
When the owner recovered the broken drone, he discovered multiple holes that were likely the result of at least one shotgun blast. After calling the Lower Township Police Department, the drone owner directed patrolman Michael Nuscis toward the origin of the shots. Police officers went to the home of Percenti, questioned him about the shooting and discovered the shotgun that was used in the drone attack. Upon discovery of the shotgun, Percenti was placed under arrest and charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and criminal mischief. In addition, the shotgun was seized as evidence related to the crime.
Bail was set in the amount of $2,500 by a local judge and Percenti quickly posted the 10 percent required minimum to be released from jail. In addition the criminal charges, the owner may choose to pursue financial compensation for the destroyed drone.
Depending on the type of drone as well as the quality of the digital camera mounted to the drone, Percenti could be responsible for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in damages.
Regarding the law, the FAA has set guidelines that require drone fliers to stay below 400 feet when operating a remote control drone as well as keeping clear of nearby airports. New Jersey legislators attempted to pass specific ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)