Oct 22 2013
Rihanna was asked to leave Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque over the weekend after taking part in an "inappropriate" photoshoot in the grounds of the complex.
Dressed in a headscarf, black jumpsuit and crimson lipstick, Rihanna posed in the mosque's courtyard on Saturday.
She later posted images to photo-sharing site Instagram.
The mosque, located in the capital of the United Arab Emirates, is one of the world's largest Muslim places of worship.
In a statement on its website, the mosque said the Barbadian star had not sought permission for the photoshoot.
"The singer entered on a private visit without introducing herself and without prior coordination with the administration," it said.
It also specifically referenced her inappropriate conduct.
"She was asked to leave before entering the mosque after she posed in ways that do not match the (mosque's) sacred status."
The mosque said it was important that no visitor "fails to meet the standards of decency required to enter the mosque, such as by posing for inappropriate photographs or by sitting in disrespectful positions".
The photoshoot also gained some hostile reaction on the singer’s Instagram account.
"She thinks she's sunbathing on a beach in Miami!" said one comment in Arabic.
However, others felt Rihanna was respectful in her decision to cover up and wear a headscarf.
"Thanks for your respect to our religion ... you take your time to wear the traditional dress ... And the pictures are beautiful not insulting," said another person who commented.
Rihanna was visiting Abu Dhabi as part of her Diamonds world tour.
Oct 22 2013
CeeLo Green has pleaded not guilty to giving a woman ecstasy after Los Angeles prosecutors claimed there was a lack of evidence to charge him with sexual assault.
Green, whose real name is Thomas DeCarlo Callaway, was accused of spiking a woman's drink with ecstasy in a restaurant in LA last year.
The woman claimed she then woke up naked in bed with the 39-year-old singer without knowing how she got there.
But Los Angeles County District Attorney dropped a charge of sexual assault, with police sources saying she had been dating Green before the alleged incident, TMZ reported.
Green, a judge on the NBC show The Voice, appeared in court on Monday and pleaded not guilty to giving the woman the drug through his attorney Blair Berk.
The hearing occurred hours after the singer was charged with one felony count of furnishing a controlled substance. He could face up to four years in prison if convicted.
His bail was set at $30,000 and he will appear back in court on November 20.
Oct 22 2013
One Direction earned a combined fortune of £59.33m, knocking Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe off the top of a Rich List for Britons under 30, according to a study.
The highest new entry in the list is DJ and music producer Calvin Harris, who earned an estimated £22.1m in 2013.
Names falling out of the Top 30 this year include Paolo Nutini, Jamie Bell, Natasha Bedingfield and Sienna Miller.
The financial dealings, including TV shows, films, record sales and product endorsements were examined by a panel of industry experts to compile the list for Heat magazine.
One Direction were included as a single entry for their total earnings because the money was generated by the group rather than for any solo work.
Harry Potter star Radcliffe has topped the list since it was established in 2010, but is this year in second place with £56.19m.
One Direction were apparently criticised for their earnings by Business Secretary Vince Cable during a debate about UK pay at an Institute of Directors event in April.
The Cabinet minister was questioned about the salaries of the band and was asked if he agreed it was "mad" the group had by then made an estimated £5m each over the past year.
He replied: "I agree ... about the extremities of pay and the fact much of it is downright insensitive and in some cases grossly immoral."
But aides later stressed the Liberal Democrat had misheard the question and was referring to the pay of chief executives, rather than the group.
Mr Cable was unveiling a 12p rise in the minimum wage when he made the remarks.
On October 1, the minimum wage for 18 to 20-year olds rose to £5.03, and to £3.72 for 16 ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 21 2013
Laura Mvula has scooped two gongs at the 2013 Mobo Awards at Glasgow's new £125m indoor entertainment venue The Hydro.
The soul singer-songwriter picked up her first award of the night for best female act, beating off competition from Jessie J, Jessie Ware, Lianna La Havas and Rita Ora.
She then went on to win best R&B or soul artist, and gave a live performance of songs from her debut Mercury Prize-nominated album Sing To The Moon.
Mvula, 27, and Naughty Boy, whose real name is Shahid Khan, were the big winners of the night.
Naughty Boy won best song for his hit La La La featuring Sam Smith, as well as best video for the same track.
Rapper Tinie Tempah opened the ceremony with a rendition of Trampoline and later won the gong for best UK hip hop or grime act, the second time he has bagged the award.
Wiley picked up the gong for best male act, his first ever Mobo.
Rudimental were presented with the best album award during the ceremony, hosted by BBC 1Xtra's Trevor Nelson and Sarah-Jane Crawford.
Iggy Azalea, Naughty Boy, Rudimental, Fuse ODG, AlunaGeorge, So Solid Crew, Ms Dynamite and Shy FX all took to the stage for live performances during the night.
Baroness Doreen Lawrence picked up a special award for the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust, set up in the name of her murdered son.
The award recognises people and organisations who "represent the Mobo values for forward thinking and are active in their communities".
Mobo founder Kanya King praised the trust as a "catalyst for change and solidarity" that did "phenomenal" work to support young people from diverse and disadvantaged backgrounds.
It was the third time the Mobo Awards ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Oct 21 2013
Hollywood star Tom Hanks has said closing the 57th BFI London Film Festival with Saving Mr Banks feels "righteous".
The two-time Oscar-winning actor, who plays Walt Disney in John Lee Hancock's drama about the 20-year battle to bring PL Travers' children's book Mary Poppins to screen, kept the cold at bay at the film's premiere with a cup of tea, accompanied by a "spoonful of sugar" on the red carpet.
"It feels like it's the righteous thing to do," said the 57-year-old.
Hanks, who opened this year's festival on October 9 with Paul Greengrass' tense thriller Captain Phillips, joked he was responsible for the event's success.
"I believe it's been the most successful in the history of the film festival and I've been trying to figure out why. It must have something to do with opening and closing films," he quipped.
The gala screening, which was simultaneously screened via a live satellite link to 20 towns and cities across the UK and Ireland, was a family affair for British actress Emma Thompson, who was accompanied by husband Greg Wise and daughter Gaia.
Dressed in an outfit by Maria Grachvogel, the 54-year-old, who portrays English author PL Travers, added: "The fact that it's starting its life in the world here makes me feel very moved actually, and I'm not prone to that kind of sentimentality."
Colin Farrell and Ruth Wilson, who play Travers' parents, also stepped out for the premiere.
"It's unreal. It's my first time at the festival and I've got two films that I'm incredibly proud of. This is a very British film with an iconic British figure so it's exciting," Wilson said.
Farrell added: "It's really lovely to be here. Emma's work in this is astonishing."
Director ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Gravity can not be stopped — not by a telekinetic teenager, not by a WikiLeaks hacker, not even by the hulking threat of Arnold Schwarznegger and Sylvester Stallone.
Warner Bros.’ $100 million drama starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney drew another $9.1 million on Friday, marking a scant 28 percent drop from last Friday. Gravity may pull in about $32 million over the weekend, which would bring its total to an incredible $171 million after just 17 days.
In second place, Screen Gems and MGM’s $30 million horror remake Carrie stumbled out of the gate with $6.6 million. Since horror movies are typically quite frontloaded, the film will likely finish the frame with about $16 million — well below predictions that had the film earning at least $20 million.
Captain Phillips finished in third place with $5.2 million, but it may surpass Carrie by Sunday night and finish the weekend in second place with about $17 million. Sony’s $55 million Tom Hanks drama will have accrued about $53 million after ten days.
Summit’s Stallone/Schwarznegger action entry, Escape Plan, which cost a reported $70 million to produce, only locked up $3.6 million on its opening day. The prison-escape movie could earn only $9.5 million in its opening weekend — joining the ranks of the stars’ recent flops Bullet to the Head and The Last Stand.
At least Escape Plan fared better than Benedict Cumberbatch’s WikiLeaks drama The Fifth Estate, which earned an anemic $587,000 from 1,769 theaters, yielding an awful $332 daily per theater average. The film may earn about $1.5 million total over the weekend. Ouch.
1. Gravity – $9.1 million
2. Carrie – $6.6 million
3. Captain Phillips – $5.2 million
4. Escape Plan – $3.6 million
5. Cloudy With a Chance of ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)
Channing Tatum and Zoe Saldana have signed on to star in the upcoming animated feature Book of Life, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The animated comedy produced by director Guillermo del Toro will tell the fantastical story of a young man who journeys through three different realms.
Diego Luna, Ron Perlman, Cheech Marin, Danny Trejo and Jorge Gutierrez are also amongst the voice cast.
Del Toro most recently released the live-action monster movie Pacific Rim.
He recently announced that he is currently writing a sequel to the film.
In the meantime, Book of Life is set for a 2014 release.
Betty White's show Off Their Rockers has reportedly been renewed on the Lifetime network.
The hidden-camera prank series was recently axed by NBC after two seasons on air.
The Lifetime cable network, which has also aired syndicated episodes of White's show Golden Girls, already airs reruns of Off Their Rockers.
The network has ordered 20 new half-hour episodes to premiere in 2014, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
White, 91, will return as host of the comedy show.
The fifth season of her TV Land sitcom Hot in Cleveland was also renewed, getting a fifth season, earlier this year..
A waitress who picked up the lunch bill of two National Guard soldiers has been repaid more than 300 times over by TV star Ellen DeGeneres.
Sarah Hoidahl was working at a restaurant in Concord, New Hampshire, when the two women troops sat in her section for a meal, Fox News reported.
The 21-year-old single mother, who apparently has friends in the military, heard them discussing the government shutdown and mention they were not getting paid.
After they had finished their lunch, instead of delivering the soldiers a cheque, she sent them a note.
It read: "Thanks to the government shutdown the people like you that protect this country are not getting paid, however I still am.
"Lunch is on me thank you for serving ladies! Have a good day!"
The bill cost her $27.75.
Presenter DeGeneres gave her the money back in cash and also a cheque for $10,000 (£6,000) and a 50-inch television.
An emotional Ms Hoidahl buried her face in her hands and thanked DeGeneres as the talk show host repeated: "You're a good person."
The star found out about Ms Hoidahl's act of kindness when the New Hampshire National Guard posted a picture on its Facebook page.
Josh Brolin is in early talks to star in Jurassic World, it has been reported.
Details of the 45-year-old True Grit actor's involvement in the movie are yet to be revealed, but The Hollywood Reporter claims that Brolin will play 'one of the leads' in the upcoming Steven Spielberg-produced sequel.
The movie is set to begin filming in early 2014, with a US release date of June 12, 2015 planned.
Jurassic World is being directed by Safety Not Guaranteed's Colin Trevorrow.
Iron Man 3 actor Ty Simpkins has been cast in a leading role, while Bryce Dallas Howard has also been announced as one of the movie's stars.
Trevorrow has stated that he is not involved with Jurassic World "for the money", and recently described a new dinosaur featuring in the film as "badass".