Alex Kurtzman has discussed the "darker" potential of Venom.

The writer-director commented on his plans for Sony Pictures' Amazing Spider-Man spinoff.

"The idea is that you can do things with Venom that you can't do with Spider-Man," Kurtzman told MTV.

"Venom is the representation of every line that will get crossed. He's a much darker character."

Sony is also planning a Sinister Six film starring Spider-Man villains, with Drew Goddard attached to write and potentially direct.

Details and a release date are yet to be announced for Venom.


Digital Spy

read full article...


Now You See Me 2 will be released on June 10, 2016, Lionsgate Summit Entertainment has confirmed.

The sequel to the heist thriller will be directed by Jon M Chu (GI Joe: Retaliation), who replaces Louis Leterrier.

Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg and Isla Fisher will all return for the sequel, following the success of the first instalment.

Meanwhile, Dave Franco, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine will also reprise their roles.

Now You See Me earned more than $350 million (£217m) worldwide following its release in May 2013. It was made on a budget of $75m (£46m).

Alex Kurtzman, Robert Orci and Bobby Cohen will produce the upcoming sequel.

Digital Spy

read full article...



Captain America 3's subtitle has been in the works for ten years.

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo have said that they are keen to reveal the full title of their sequel soon.


"If you've been talking to Kevin [Feige, president of Marvel Studios] the title has been in place probably for ten years in his brain," Joe Russo told Crave Online.

"It's all part of the road map that he's laid out, and it's all part of the bigger plan."

Marvel is yet to reveal details about the film, which will see Chris Evans return to the starring role.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was formerly scheduled for the same release date as Captain America 3 until Warner Bros moved the DC film.

Captain America 3 will be released on May 6, 2016.

Digital Spy

read full article...

23 Jump Street is going into production, it has been reported.

The sequel to the Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill movie will be written by Rodney Rothman, who worked on 22 Jump Street.

Deadline reports that Sony Pictures and Original Film have started forward motion on the movie, which will be the third in the series.

It is currently unclear whether Phil Lord and Christopher Miller will be back to direct the third film.

The plot of 22 Jump Street, which was released earlier this year, saw undercover cops Schmidt and Jenko not only attempt to crack a crime ring in a fraternity but also try to figure out if they can have a mature relationship, as they begin to question their partnership.




Digital Spy

read full article...


Charlie Hunnam has said that he had "something of a nervous breakdown" over taking the lead role in Fifty Shades of Grey.

The 34-year-old Sons of Anarchy actor also described dropping out of the project as "a s**t situation".

Hunnam initially accepted the role of Christian Grey last summer, before departing the movie. The role eventually went to Jamie Dornan.

Speaking to Moviefone, Hunnam said: "I wouldn't have signed up in the first place if I didn't want to do it. It was a really, really difficult time in my life."

He went on to explain that, that due to filming Sons of Anarchy and Crimson Peak, the schedule for Fifty Shades of Grey would have been difficult.

"I was going to finish Sons at like 11pm Friday night, get on the plane Saturday morning to Vancouver for Fifty, missing the whole first week of rehearsal and start shooting Monday morning.

"And I was going to shoot that film, wrap that on the Wednesday, and the following Monday I was going to start shooting Crimson Peak in Toronto. I just had like... frankly, something of a nervous breakdown."

Discussing meeting Fifty Shades of Grey director Sam Taylor-Johnson, and revealing that he had limited availability due to prior filming commitments, Hunnam said that he "fell in love, creatively" with the project.

"I started talking about this thing and I just got so excited. I fell in love with the character and started seeing him and becoming intoxicated, which is the way I work: I find a character I love and I start thinking about it all the time."

Of realising that he would have to drop out of the movie, he continued: "I just said, 'I can't... I can't...'

"To fail on such a grand scale - because Fifty's going to be massive, it's going to be huge. I really didn't ..... (article cut to save bandwidth)

read full article...


The upcoming Top Gun sequel is to be written by Justin Marks, it has been announced.

Marks is behind the upcoming Disney live-action reboot of The Jungle Book, and has previously worked with Jerry Bruckheimer on War Dogs.

Bruckheimer is producing the Top Gun sequel, which will star Tom Cruise as his classic character Maverick.

The Town's Peter Craig wrote the previous draft of the project, but development stalled after director Tony Scott died in 2012.

Paramount and Skydance have stated that the sequel will "show the relevance of good old fashioned pilots in today's high-tech, drone-centric war environment".

Digital Spy

read full article...


The Maze Runner director Wes Ball has confirmed that a sequel is already in the works.

Adapted from the young adult novel of the same name, the film stars Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scodelario and Will Poulter as teenagers who wake up in a maze with no memory of their previous lives.

Even though the first film has yet to be released, Ball revealed that sequel The Scorch Trials is already in the early stages of production.

"We've got stages, we've got crews coming in, Dylan will be back in a few weeks, we're building sets, and the script is being written", Ball told BuzzFeed.

"It's a bit of a race this time because we're cautiously optimistic, but we're feeling excited we're about to do something that's way more sophisticated, way more grown up, and really set up a saga here."

Ball also expressed his hope that the ending of the first film doesn't put cinema-goers off a second instalment.

He continued: "It's a ballsy ending, man, we don't answer everything - but that's the book.

"Hopefully they'll want the next one because we pick up exactly where we left off; you could really watch the movies back to back and it would be one long story."

The Maze Runner previously unveiled four featurettes of the film's main characters.

The Maze Runner is released in the US on September 19 and in the UK on October 10.


Digital Spy

read full article...


Denzel Washington has been confirmed to star in a remake of The Magnificent Seven.

The actor will again reunite on the project with The Equalizer director Antoine Fuqua, who was first linked to a retelling of the 1960 Western earlier this year.

Producer Jason Blumenthal described the film as wish fulfilment, telling Variety: "In a world where a lot of injustice gets all the attention, it's nice to see a movie where someone is doing something about it."

Sony Pictures is reportedly looking to develop the film into a franchise, although the producers are being cautious.

Producer Todd Black said: "We just want to see this one work," while Blumenthal added: "The audience will tell us."

Meanwhile, speaking at the Toronto Film Festival, Fuqua explained that he and Washington had always planned on working together again ever since their last collaboration on Training Day in 2001, for which the actor won an Academy Award.

"He directed a couple of movies and it takes a couple years to make a movie," said Fuqua. "I've directed a couple of things. Before you know it, the years go by.

"We kept looking for the right thing. He called about [The Equalizer], it happened to be the right thing."

The Equalizer is released in the US and UK on September 26.

Digital Spy

read full article...


Robert Downey Jr has denied that a fourth Iron Man movie is being planned.

The lead actor starred in the most recent Iron Man instalment last year but there has been no confirmation whether a sequel is in development.

"There isn't one in the pipe," Downey told Variety from the Toronto Film Festival. "No, there's no plan for a fourth Iron Man."

When asked whether he would allow someone else to take up the role, he responded: "I like that the idea is that it would be up to me, like I'm casting director for Marvel."

Gwyneth Paltrow has previously claimed that Iron Man 3 would be the last in the series, while Don Cheadle believes a fourth film could happen if the fans want it.

It is not the end of the road for Iron Man, however, as the character forms part of The Avengers: Age of Ultron, which recently wrapped filming.

The entire major cast of The Avengers reprise their roles in Whedon's sequel, alongside new additions James Spader, Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron will be released on May 1, 2015.


Digital Spy

read full article...

Dwayne Johnson has confirmed that he will play the villain in Warner Bros/DC Entertainment's Shazam.

The actor hinted last month that he would be involved in the upcoming movie, but was yet to decide whether he would play the titular hero or his archenemy, Black Adam.


Johnson took to Twitter to announce that he will play Black Adam, who he previously described to The AP as one of his favourite comic book roles of all time.

Shazam was one of several films listed in a leaked schedule for Warner's upcoming DC films which also included Wonder Woman and a Flash/Green Lantern team-up.

Created by Otto Binder & CC Beck in 1945, Black Adam is traditionally an archaeologist who transforms into a powerful ancient Egyptian being and becomes Shazam's greatest adversary.

However, as Johnson's tweet indicates, the character is often painted as an anti-hero rather than a true villain.

Digital Spy

read full article...