• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36873 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Ah Gil Changes Her Name for the 4th Time, 90% of Fans Gives "Dislike"
August 26, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: Oriental Daily
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image

32 year old Gillian Chung (Ah Gil) sure has a complicated "name" path. Ah Gil's birth name was "Chung Tik Shan" (鍾狄珊), then her name changed to "Chung Ka Lai" (鍾嘉勵) and when she made her debut in showbiz, she changed to her stage name "Chung Yun Tung" (鍾欣桐). Yesterday, Ah Gil announced on Weibo that her name has officially changed to "Chung Yun Tung"(鍾欣潼), which is the same pronunciation but different "Tung" character. Ah Gil changed her Weibo account to her new name and wrote a surprising message: "Its not an oversight, I changed my name."

Ah Gil had four different names in her lifetime, Netizens speculated she changed her name so many times because she wanted to change her fortune/fate. Yesterday her manager Mani Fok, who is currently in Beijing, expressed Ah Gil had planned to change her name several months ago. She said: "The two 'Tung' characters are pronounced the same way. Because earlier she had just launched her Mandarin album Tung Fa (桐花), her name changed was delayed a little. Whether if its her career or anything else, it had nothing to do with her fate." Mani disclosed Ah Gil did all the leg work to choose her new name. "She researched in the dictionary herself. Before she thought of using '彤', but ultimately she thought '潼' was more unique, prettier and makes people happy." Ah Gil's mother didn't oppose to her beloved daughter's new name. As they say, if have the desire then why not take action, Ah Gill will be changing her HK ID card to her new name as well.

Nearly 90% of Ah Gil's fans were against her sudden name change. When this article was written, there were already over 5,000 comments on Ah Gil's Weibo. Fans all gave their idol a "dislike" on her name change. Some fans even said the Fanclub names will have to be changed as well. Netizens left comments such as, "I cannot accept this, I rather you go back to Chung Ka Lai", "I'm really afraid, I really can't imagine it, suddenly this changed.", "Tung-Chuek Club (Twins Fan Club or T.F.C) will no longer be Tung-Chuek Club". In regards to fans' dislike, Mani expressed the name change is Ah Gil's decision, EEG will respect her aspiration.

#2 sweetcream

sweetcream

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

The fans are being overly dramatic arent they? Changing the name that many times will affect others though. Ive changed mine once before and it's difficult for close ones to adjust.
  • nomad 822 likes this

#3 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Please over reacting much?Posted Image I can say a lot of celebs have changed their names ie not using their birth name and using one that they think sounds better,its no biggie. I can name a few but not in here, totally off topic.Posted Image
  • nomad 822 likes this

#4 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

===>
Ah Gil had four different names in her lifetime, Netizens speculated she changed her name so many times because she wanted to change her fortune/fate. Yesterday her manager Mani Fok, who is currently in Beijing, expressed Ah Gil had planned to change her name several months ago. She said: "The two 'Tung' characters are pronounced the same way. Because earlier she had just launched her Mandarin album Tung Fa (桐花), her name changed was delayed a little. Whether if its her career or anything else, it had nothing to do with her fate." Mani disclosed Ah Gil did all the leg work to choose her new name. ===>

Nearly 90% of Ah Gil's fans were against her sudden name change ===> "I'm really afraid, I really can't imagine it, suddenly this changed." "Tung-Chuek Club (Twins Fan Club or T.F.C) will no longer be Tung-Chuek Club". In regards to fans' dislike, Mani expressed the name change is Ah Gil's decision, EEG will respect her aspiration.

(1) Agree with PPs, wow her fans ("nearly 90%!!" wtf?) of them seem bloody dramatic.
Do they live in Disneyland or something ... over a mere character change? The intonation/sound didn't even change = it's such a small (but symbolic for her) thing, it's just a difference in writing the chinese character.

"I am really afraid" (seriously?! gawd get a life - there are far more worrying and dangerous things out there in real life, poverty or terminally ill people dying and such that really warrants fear and worry) and "really can't imagine it" (well try imagining it then. it's really not your name afterall. misplaced sense of possessive entitlement over their idol, much?).

(2) Mani Fok and the deflective PR-spiel. It's not like she's targeting a 3 yr old audience - who's she trying to kid?

What's wrong in being honest for once and admitting that Ah Gil DOES want some positive uplifting changes in her life - be it romance, or career or whatever? The poor girl afterall has gone through a lot, though some of it is basically un-wise and perhaps un-realistic choices (her recent Kboyfriend for one)

Otherwise, why go through all that trouble ("she did all the legwork") to change a character and its significance in her name/life/destiny, to cause such a ruckus among her drama-queen fans?

EEG seems quite the 'superstition-guided' agency anyway ... what with EEG boss seeking divine guidance and direction from the late White Snake King, with disciple Nic Tse in tow. If I recall correctly, it was EEG boss who brought Edison Chen there too.

Edited by nomad 822, 27 August 2013 - 05:35 PM.

• Kim4ever likes this

#5 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

if she thought it was important enough to change, then the fans have an equal right to have an opinion about it.

she's all used up anyways

#6 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

i suspected that she just wants to create some attention to her

#7 raxnicx

raxnicx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:31 AM

she is still Gillian Chung with the rated R pictures...regardless how many times she change her name.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hong kong, gillian chung

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users