AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

TVB Displeased with Next Media's Inappropriate Practice, Boycotts Next TV Awards 2013

hong kong hong kong tvb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37258 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

TVB Displeased with Next Media's Inappropriate Practice, Boycotts Next TV Awards 2013
Wednesdasy February 20, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: Oriental Daily
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

TVB had always hoped to maintain friendly relations with the media, but since the new boss Charles Chan came on board, he felt there was a need to defend the interests of the company and protect their artists' reputation against attacks from tabloid magazines. It was understood, TVB recently issued a company-wide letter internally to notify their artists and employees that Next Media's magazine and newspapers (Apple Daily, Next Magazine, Sudden Weekly, FACE) reports have targeted TVB artists and programs on several occasions in the past several months. Also, without TVB's consent, it is suspected that Next Media has been taking advantage of TVB artists to participate in public functions at no charge. Due to this, TVB decided to boycott Next Magazine TV Awards 2013 held next month.

It was understood, recently TVB sent out letter after letter to managers, contracted artists, employees and producers about the company's relationship with Next Media. The letter content was roughly about the previous friendly relations TVB had with Next Media, but this year TVB artists and programs were unknowingly arranged to participate in various awards, many were linked to consumer brands and commercials. TVB believed this practice is inappropriate and unacceptable. Additionally, TVB also listed many examples of the articles published by Next Media targeting TVB artists and programs in the past several months. So, why does TVB artists still have the opportunity to be on their award nominations? TVB decided not to support their award ceremony and does not recommend their artists to participate in any of their events.

Reporters contacted TVB's General Manager, Mark Lee, and he frankly expressed he completely agrees and supports TVB's decision. When an artist takes part in a public event, under no circumstance should they not know why they are attending such event for free. "This time, I hope to bring this issue to our artists' attention, let them clearly see how Next Media has been treating TVB artists and programs in the past month. Their magazine reports are frequently trying to attack us. Since Next Media believes TVB artists and programs are so worthless, then why are there still nominations? This is really a mystery."

TVB contracted artists including Myolie Wu, Michael Tse, Sharon Chan, Ron Ng, etc. expressed their support for TVB. In the last several years, Myolie has participated in their award ceremonies, she expressed TVB is her management and so she will respect their decision. Michael Tse frankly expressed, basically he didn't know he was nominated, but in the past two years when his 'Laughing Gor' role in E.U and Lives Of Omission got so much attention, he wasn't nominated. He expressed he will let TVB handle everything. Sharon and Ron expressed they respect TVB's views. Sharon laughed: "I personally don't mind. I will continue working hard and wait to get TVB's award."

#2 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4805 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Haha...wow, you mean to tell me that the execs over at TVB finally woke up and realized that Next Media isn't worth supporting? I mean, come on -- it's not like those tabloids had been writing bad stuff about their artists only a few months ago....they've been doing that for years and years already and only now TVB is making it a point to boycott them? That should have been done ages ago!!

#3 autumnleaves8

autumnleaves8

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Haha...wow, you mean to tell me that the execs over at TVB finally woke up and realized that Next Media isn't worth supporting? I mean, come on -- it's not like those tabloids had been writing bad stuff about their artists only a few months ago....they've been doing that for years and years already and only now TVB is making it a point to boycott them? That should have been done ages ago!!

I'm just surprised that they're doing this just as HKTV might be getting their license! lol

HK tabloids is getting out of hand.. Is this the same group that made up the story about Tavia giving Him a bj in his car?

#4 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

So would there be a lot of empty seats then? LOLPosted Image

#5 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4805 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

HK tabloids is getting out of hand.. Is this the same group that made up the story about Tavia giving Him a bj in his car?

They've always been out of hand, it's just that people don't bother to take action against them.

I actually don't remember exactly if the Him/Tavia thing was from that group, though I'm thinking there's a huge possibility it was, since the Next Media empire is comprised of several tabloids, including Next Magazine, Face, and Sudden Weekly (those are the ones that deal with HK entertainment). However, I do vaguely recall that the Bosco and Vincent/Yoyo thing from a few years ago (has it been that long already?) involved Face Magazine and Sudden Weekly -- with how big that issue got, I was really surprised why TVB didn't boycott Next Media back at that time (they still sent their artists to support the Next TV Awards that year....)

#6 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5008 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I was really surprised why TVB didn't boycott Next Media back at that time (they still sent their artists to support the Next TV Awards that year....)

I think it was because of the many sponsorships for their artists - such as best skin, hair, whatnot awards promoting and publicizing the sponsors' products.

#7 ~Akane~

~Akane~

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6116 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I really hated Apple Daily (esp the youtube videos). Yes, people like a gossip but not in the way they tell them.

#8 ~ ♥ Malec ~

~ ♥ Malec ~

..::♥ Cutie ♥::..

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12579 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I actually don't remember exactly if the Him/Tavia thing was from that group, though I'm thinking there's a huge possibility it was, since the Next Media empire is comprised of several tabloids, including Next Magazine, Face, and Sudden Weekly (those are the ones that deal with HK entertainment). However, I do vaguely recall that the Bosco and Vincent/Yoyo thing from a few years ago (has it been that long already?) involved Face Magazine and Sudden Weekly -- with how big that issue got, I was really surprised why TVB didn't boycott Next Media back at that time (they still sent their artists to support the Next TV Awards that year....)

That incident was revealed by AppleDaily which is also under Next Media group but not a Weekly tabloids.

I guess the reason Txb only boycott Next by now because it's only the recent time their real beloved kids are touched. Before only some under 620 are touched, not the ones under Catherine Tsang. But now, the ppl under Catherine Tsang are also touched so the woman who is controlling Txb is trying to show her power. And it's worth to mention that there are some artists boycotted Next but it's their sole decisions, unrelated to Txb.

Watever, the clips of AppleDaily and the changed-head pix of On.CC are the most entertaining things HK's gossip world.

#9 Hohenheim

Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I don't understand how HK media works.

While media from other countries are praising their own artistes to the sky, HK medias are busy slandering their own artistes.

#10 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4805 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

While media from other countries are praising their own artistes to the sky, HK medias are busy slandering their own artistes.

Unfortunately, that's the way HK Media has always worked. That's why I always say that I feel sorry for HK artists -- no matter what the artists do or don't do the Media will always find a way to stir things up so they can feed the gossip mill.

Leslie Cheung actually made a point to comment about this in a speech he did back in 2000 because he was sick and tired of all the 'bashings' that he got from the HK Media over the years. I mean, if such a famous and well-loved star such as Leslie got 'bashed' constantly by the Media (and still continued to be even AFTER his death), imagine what it's like for others who may not be as well-versed in handling it as Leslie was (luckily, with Leslie's personality, he was able to push back on the HK Media for the most part).

#11 s a r a h

s a r a h

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

HK media is selfish. They just want their magazines and paper to sell more.

#12 themoon

themoon

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, you pointed the right thing. I don't get this either. Korean media for instance treat their reporting for Korean artistes as if it was a patriotic thing to praise their country's artistes and spread the Hallyu wave, while HK media in other instance most of the time create fake rumours out of some "pictures" and spread bad mouths on HK artistes. What a way to sabotage your own exports.

Unfortunately, that's the way HK Media has always worked. That's why I always say that I feel sorry for HK artists -- no matter what the artists do or don't do the Media will always find a way to stir things up so they can feed the gossip mill.

Leslie Cheung actually made a point to comment about this in a speech he did back in 2000 because he was sick and tired of all the 'bashings' that he got from the HK Media over the years. I mean, if such a famous and well-loved star such as Leslie got 'bashed' constantly by the Media (and still continued to be even AFTER his death), imagine what it's like for others who may not be as well-versed in handling it as Leslie was (luckily, with Leslie's personality, he was able to push back on the HK Media for the most part).

Eason Chan is a big star on his own, but even he is still not well versed in dealing with HK's black media.

Now HK gossips get worse when mainland newspapers tend to copy these gossips and print them as news and can you imagine how these gossips gets easily spread in mainland's big market, where many of citizens there are still not familiar with HK's reporting style. Nor did they realize that these mainland copycats copied the gossips from HK's tabloids. This is how HK media's shady practice is sabotaging their own exports since humans naturally will get more attracted to gossips than to take time assessing one's work or talents(acting or singing). Korean and Taiwanese media for all we know praise their artistes to the sky to sell their images and spread the Hallyu exports, while HK media bash their artistes and put negative images on them.

Edited by themoon, 23 February 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#13 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37258 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

TVB boycotts Next Magazine TV Awards
Saturday February 23, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: http://my.entertainm...-235016376.html

Posted Image

TVB's new boss Charles Chan has been very strict in making sure the tabloids play fair when reporting about their artistes, and has made certain that any media platform making insidious falsehood about the station is boycotted.

As so, the latest report from Groove Asia claimed that the next victim of his boycotting mission included Next Media that allegedly has been taking advantages of TVB stars to participate in public functions for free, starting with the Next Magazine TV Awards 2013 that will be held in March.

TVB recently issued a company-wide letter internally to notify their managers, contracted artists, employees and producers about the company's relationship with Next Media, stating in a gist that TVB artists and programmes were unknowingly arranged to participate in various awards and were linked to consumer brands and commercials this year – a practice that TVB believed to be inappropriate and unacceptable, and therefore it has been decided that they would not support Next Magazine's award ceremony and does not recommend their artistes to participate in any of their events.

TVB's General Manager, Mark Lee, expressed his agreement with the decision frankly, "This time, I hope to bring this issue to our artistes' attention and let them clearly see how the magazine has been treating TVB artistes and programmes in the past month."

Meanwhile, most TVB stars, including Myolie Wu, Michael Tse, Sharon Chan and Ron Ng, expressed their support for the decision and will let TVB handle everything.