AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody feel like American music is so stupid when compared to Asian music

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ktko

Ktko

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

This is my opinion. There is a few that I consider to be good, but the majority of American music that hear that are considered popular on the radio are just plain stupid if you pay attention to the lyrics. The lyrics either:
1) Makes no sense at all and the only reason the music is popular is because it is a dance song
2) They talk about how they get b*tches and what a baller they are
3) They talk about some kind of drama in their life (the problems are often so minor and stupid that it shouldn't even be worth mentioning)

When I listen to Asian music, it is completely different and are generally more positive or soothing. The type of music I really enjoy right now are Chinese music from Tawain. Chinese music is pure art. The lyrics are just pure poetry and requires a creative mind to actually understand the meaning, unlike American music, which is really dumbed down. One of the artist that I really admire is Jay Chou. He uses anicent chinese musical instruments and put a modern twist to his music, which I find very creative. I can't believe I did not listen to him more when I was in college, when he was really popular then.

Edited by Ktko, 20 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#2 Trambeline

Trambeline

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well, I think it really depends on what genre of music you like. You seem to like classic, cultural, soothing music. The kinds of music in America however, you are partially right to say, is usually upbeat for the most part. We have almost all kinds of music over here in the USA, even imports from foreign countries including international music whether it be songs which can be downloaded on the internet even.

I think it all depends on your tastes, and what you like. You seem to like the kinds of songs with inspiring lyrics. I however, usually like many pop songs and some techno as well as some rap artists. A little variety is good now and then, I think. I do listen to some Vietnamese songs, including famous classic ones. I don't like reggeaton (Latino music) very much, but some English remixes are fine.

As for instrumentals, I adore the sound of the violin. I usually listen more to the rhythms of the song more than the words. I understand your point though, some American songs are just ridiculous, just loads of repetitions and noises -- not even poetic in the least. Well, it's the American culture you know, but there are some very inspirational songs by certain artists with some unique voices.

#3 DrBroscientist

DrBroscientist

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Not particularly. I mean I've listened to some kpop and cht before and as far as I can tell the lyrics are just as stupid as western lyrics. Only good thing is that I don't understand that cht so the lyrics don't ruin it for me.

#4 Ktko

Ktko

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Not particularly. I mean I've listened to some kpop and cht before and as far as I can tell the lyrics are just as stupid as western lyrics. Only good thing is that I don't understand that cht so the lyrics don't ruin it for me.

Kpop is an exception as it often intended to be catchy to please the western taste.

Edited by Ktko, 22 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#5 DrBroscientist

DrBroscientist

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

3 songs from the same band in the same album. I think the first two might be your idea of meaningful lyrics while the last one isn't. The type of music you describe seems to be pop or possibly rap/hip hop. Basically just mainstream cht they put on the radio cos everyone can listen to em'.

Also how do you embed videos? The tags don't seem to work for me.

Edited by DrBroscientist, 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#6 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

This is my opinion. There is a few that I consider to be good, but the majority of American music that hear that are considered popular on the radio are just plain stupid if you pay attention to the lyrics. The lyrics either:
1) Makes no sense at all and the only reason the music is popular is because it is a dance song
3) They talk about some kind of drama in their life (the problems are often so minor and stupid that it shouldn't even be worth mentioning)

When I listen to Asian music, it is completely different and are generally more positive or soothing. The type of music I really enjoy right now are Chinese music from Tawain. Chinese music is pure art. The lyrics are just pure poetry and requires a creative mind to actually understand the meaning, unlike American music, which is really dumbed down. One of the artist that I really admire is Jay Chou. He uses anicent chinese musical instruments and put a modern twist to his music, which I find very creative. I can't believe I did not listen to him more when I was in college, when he was really popular then.

American music is very rich in diversity so the while "getting the b*tches" is a popular theme in rap music, it doesn't represent Amrican music. Rap music sells both in the US and abroad so many foreigners are into vulgarity as well. Kinda of disturbing. Pop culture also has lots of songs that are written about people's personal things and not from poetry, I agree. However, it is the common personal experiences that also create an emotional experience.

It seems you like the technical aspect of music, the complexity of poetry writing and musical creativity. When defining "creativity" again, your notion may not agree with other people. As you say using an instrument in a non-tradtional way, this is employed in both American and Asian music, as a harp, flute, or piano in rock music for instance.

How long have you been in the US? The longer you're here, the more aculturated you are and the more exposure you have to the diversity of the music.

#7 eggroll727

eggroll727

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like you have a particular group of Americans in mind when you say this. Do you have something against black people? I feel somewhat offended because I have black family members

#8 sushiroll

sushiroll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

American music has gone downhill and its been like that for a while now. Whatever happened to singers who could belt out an actual tune live?

#9 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

you're mixing singers and musician. There are those who write beautiful music but can't sing and those who sing but don't write. A rare talent is those that can do both.

#10 Awkward Sadness

Awkward Sadness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Now you're being unbalanced, OP.
You're comparing crappy radio music (which the general population, save mindless teeny boppers also regard as stupid) to the beautiful, poetic Asian music that you describe. Can you see that this isn't a very fair argument?
There's a lot of great american music out there.. not just Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj. It's like if I said that Asian music only consisted of Girl's Gen or something similar.

#11 Enlightfulhigh

Enlightfulhigh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

It just all depends on who you are listening to. You can't really label certain artists to a whole genre. There are a variety of good musicians with good lyrics out there. You just have to search for them, because usually, they are the ones that are not as popular and aren't played on the radio constantly.

#12 wishing_star

wishing_star

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

^ Agree.
Even though I agree that the music on the radio can sometimes be meaningless, don't forget that there's also other genres of music out there. I mean America's market is HUGE, if you look, you are bound to find something that you enjoy.