8 replies to this topic

#1 Nic°las

Nic°las

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of your nervousness while speaking and how to not to stutter. I had my first speech today and it was pretty bad

#2 Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

focus on a few people in the audience and talk to them

practice practice practice

practice on friends and small groups of people you know

know your TOPIC really well but not your whole speech. You need to able to talk about your topic comfortably and easily without reciting a learned speech off by heart.

practice

nerves are ok - there isn't actor in the world who isn't nervous before a performance - the trick is to use the nerves to be better.

#3 Nitikie

Nitikie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3379 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

No matter how many times you do this you will always be nervous. For me it was just not caring if I screw up, it's not the end of the world. Laugh it off, start over again. This coming from a shy person, no really!

School is school you live and you learn. Don't make a big fuss out of it but also know what you're talking about to begin with. If you have no idea it's gonna be bad regardless unless you're a good b s-er like my friend is. But that didn't count for much

Have some key cards with you, don't write your speech on it, only wrute key topics, they are there to help keep you on topic and keep you moving not tell you what to say word by word. If you're using power point presentations make the best of them, look at the screen talk about the info casually glance away into the audience quite alot so it's not like you're talking to the screen. I've had people do that, not really professional, but then they didn't sound like they cared what they were presenting either.

Second practice is all it takes. I've never practiced in front of people...hmm no scratch that I had a group presentation and we did run throughs...but most of the times I never did with people because I just had to really know my stuff before talking about it.

Good luck, and don't stare or look at everyone that'll make you panic. If you have a friend in the class do it as you're talking to them.

#4 DrBroscientist

DrBroscientist

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

- Know your topic really well.
- Know the gist of your speech (eg: intro, next para is point a, paragraph after that is point b, then point c, then end) and then improvise as you go.
- If you make a mistake during your speech relax, chances are no one's noticed (eg: if you say something wrong) so you should just continue acting like nothing's happened.
- Use your hands to gesticulate.
- Keep your voice loud and steady. If you notice it wavering concentrate on getting it back in control. Make sure that you don't talk too fast either.
- Keep your eyes focussed on the audience. You can try looking above their heads or "phasing" them out if you don't like constant eye contact. Make sure you gaze all around the room (2-5 times at the teacher) and make eye contact every now and then.
- Also note that chances are no one aside from the teacher cares what you say. Most are probably preparing themselves for their own turn or just daydreaming.

Edited by DrBroscientist, 14 February 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#5 Nic°las

Nic°las

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi all it was little bit to late to take your advice.Posted Image i choked today lol.. but next time ill do better with this advice. i was stuttering and stuff lol felt like 30 min presentation but it was like 4 min lol

#6 Trambeline

Trambeline

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Well, if I could I would give you a clonazepam(an anti-anxiety pill) LOL. But really, I agree with many of the good tips that Nitikie said. Again, I would stress PRACTICE, because "practice makes perfect", agreed? You can recite your entire speech/presentation to a friend, a classmate, or the mirror would do just fine also.

I would FIRST outline your speech on paper, or have it typed on your computer, jotting down SUB-TOPICS of your MAIN TOPIC. Then, a few IMPORTANT DETAILS of each SUBTOPIC for you to ELABORATE upon in front of your audience/class.

If it's a topic that has pros and cons, try to come up reasons for both sides, and include your personal opinion on the subject matter. If it's a topic that requires some research and information, give about 3-5 main points about your findings, and again include your own conclusion and relate it to your own experiences.

Sometimes writing out your entire speech on paper may help on the memorization part, but practice it out loud is a better technique.

You think public speaking is hard, try taking an acting class to get over your on-stage nervousness. If you get stuck in the middle of your speech, just PAUSE, take a sip of water from your WATER BOTTLE, relax, and LOOK back to your NOTES/FLASH-CARDS to continue where you left off.

#7 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Treat it like a conversation, not a presentation. Speak with lungs not with your throat. I hope that helps.

#8 CherryFlinstones

CherryFlinstones

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

This may be the most typical and cliche advice ever, but you honestly just have to be yourself. It doesn't matter if you're shy or not.

Treat it like a conversation, not a presentation.

^ This is very true. If you just picture yourself talking to your friends or your family members, your anxiety usually melts away significantly. So don't think about the people. Just think about what you're saying and how you would communicate if you were just in a normal conversation.

#9 ElenaHouse

ElenaHouse

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

It's important to give your speech on something you are passionate and knowledgeable about. If you feel real confident about the topic your subconscious won't add to your stress. When I first had to get in front of a group was to suddenly teach a kids martial arts class at eleven years old because the teacher got caught in traffic. I was thinking "the parents are going to hate this because they don't want another kid teaching" but I got through it because I had been studying since I was 3 and new the material real well. Now I get in front of hundreds of people and sing. I have sung the songs I sing so many times that again I feel comfortable doing it.

Hope that helped. :)

~Elena House~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users