#1 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Facebook envy leaves people lonely and frustrated

Witnessing friends' vacations, love lives and work successes on Facebook can cause envy and trigger feelings of misery and loneliness, according to German researchers.

"We were surprised by how many people have a negative experience from Facebook with envy leaving them feeling lonely, frustrated or angry,"

They found people aged in their mid-30s were most likely to envy family happiness while women were more likely to envy physical attractiveness.

These feelings of envy were found to prompt some users to boast more about their achievements on the site run by Facebook Inc. to portray themselves in a better light.

Men were shown to post more self-promotional content on Facebook to let people know about their accomplishments while women stressed their good looks and social lives.

The researchers based their findings on two studies involving 600 people with the results to be presented at a conference on information systems in Germany in February.

"From a provider's perspective, our findings signal that users frequently perceive Facebook as a stressful environment, which may, in the long-run, endanger platform sustainability," the researchers concluded.

[url="http://tvnz.co.nz/technology-news/facebook-envy-leaves-people-lonely-and-frustrated-5324243"]http://tvnz.co.nz/te...strated-5324243[/url]

How about you? Do you feel like this because of facebook or forums? Where you see something about other peoples life? Do you envy someone? Do you envy someones life? Are you sad or frustrated? Would you wish to be someone else? In someones life?

Edited by SnowQueenOfDarkness, 22 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#2 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I dont have it never will. I am not the narcissistic type of dood always saying ooooohhhh LOOK AT ME !!!

Even tho the eye ball pic says other wise lol !!!

Edited by mjdibatt, 23 January 2013 - 07:49 PM.

• Kim4ever likes this

#3 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I love to see videos about singing, dancing and playing, I love to see pictures of people and their life and art what people created, poems which they wrote... Everything! I like people and I enjoy when they are willing to share their life with others. Sometimes I might be envy but that shall pass with a time. I enjoy of seeing baby and family pics, those are so cute Posted Image And dog and pet pics are my favourites also of course!

Edited by SnowQueenOfDarkness, 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#4 WilIiam

WilIiam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

I used Facebook mainly for snooping purposes
  • Kim4ever, HeTieShou and mlint007 like this

#5 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Who do you snoop? I am not in facebook but I do check my relatives etc. pages time to time. It is nice to see them when there is no gatherings to see them for real.

Edited by SnowQueenOfDarkness, 23 January 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#6 shar0n

shar0n

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Who do you snoop?

i got my comeuppance

Edited by shar0n, 23 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#7 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Spoiler

#8 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

FBOOK is also now mentioned in over 80 % of divorce hearings go figure !
  • mlint007 likes this

#9 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Scary how FB is!Posted ImageYou hear all sorts of crazy and bad news FB brings. Glad that i don't have one nor have intentions ever to create an account.Posted Image

I rather snoop on this forum Posted Image
  • Linnh, mlint007, WilIiam and 1 other like this

#10 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Spoiler

Edited by SnowQueenOfDarkness, 23 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#11 Ait Wang

Ait Wang

xoxo Mr Wang

• Forum Crew
  • 2259 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

How about you? Do you feel like this because of facebook or forums? Where you see something about other peoples life? Do you envy someone? Do you envy someones life? Are you sad or frustrated? Would you wish to be someone else? In someones life?

Yeah, I deactivated my account for a while because I was disappointed when I saw the grand house of my high school batch mate. It's one of my dreams to own a simple house but now still wishful thinking. At the time, I thought that I'm weak because at my age I still don't have a house. haha petty me

#12 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Even that I travel a lot I still envy people who is on vacation and posting pics on fb lol.

Edited by Vi Linh, 24 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

• BeInspired and Kim4ever like this

#13 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6932 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Envy and jealousy at facebook, are those ppl crazy

For all we know, it could be boasting anyway and nonsense
  • behappyman 2.0 and MichaelD like this

#14 i.am.me

i.am.me

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

I used FB to share funny pictures and observances. I like to make people laugh. Mostly, I use it to keep track of my school cohort members and friends who are living in another state and abroad. Or ocnversely, since I travel alot, I update my FB to let my friends know what I am doing and my brothers to know that I am alive and safe and eating good food. I restrict extended family members because they only want to snoop lol The people who are envious of others would find other mediums to be eny of others. I suggest they go out and cultuvate their own lives...it is a more productive use of time and energy.

I actually have very few friends on FB, most people I already know of have interacted with online and get the sense that they are "real".

Edited by iampheng, 24 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

• BeInspired and MichaelD like this

#15 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

yeah I want more friends but envy ... not really. I know it won't help me feel any better so no not really ... I just occupy my time with other things

I do want to make more friends and expand ... but I also want to balance it out with other things.

Otherwise if you think too much about it then you just get depressed ... and I don't want that, no one needs that

I look at having more friends and expanding as a social benefit ... but not something worth getting depressed over. Maybe yeah sometimes things "feel a bit lonely or boring without friends" ...

but again, really ... beause you can't always decide who's going to be there and who's not ... it's not worth it, it's not worth "getting down and feeling over"

Edited by GOLDENCARP, 26 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#16 Nitikie

Nitikie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I first created mine when I was looking for a job because I heard employers look at potential employees there. Well yeah but you can also get fired due to the things you say or show on there but I know I'm not that type of person so it won't hurt me to open one.

I don't go there to get more friends I actually only add people that I know in real life. I don't want strange people knowing things about me even though I talk to them online it's still scary, never know if they will stalk you or anything crazy.

I'm a food person and do I like posting new pics of what I cook/bake. Yesterday was persimmon cookies. A whole slew of them lol.

And yes Im currently trying to decide whether I want to end my job and open my own bakery so this would be a good marketing tool.
  • behappyman 2.0, i.am.me, MichaelD and 1 other like this

#17 BMPP

BMPP

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

True that, facebook does have a way to make people envious and lonely, hahaha. But you got to remember, very few people are going post about their failures and struggles on facebook (unless its creating an awareness of some sort). Anything that goes on are successes and all that good stuff. It’s a very biased depiction of their actual life, so it’s all good, nothing to mourn over about.
If certain people can’t handle it, then they should deactivate fb Posted Image.

When I was younger, I cared more for having more friends on facebook, but now it's like the opposite. I have high security settings because I don't want any fb- boss-and-employee-horror-stories happening to me at any point in my life LOL.
  • behappyman 2.0 and MichaelD like this

#18 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I first created mine when I was looking for a job because I heard employers look at potential employees there. Well yeah but you can also get fired due to the things you say or show on there but I know I'm not that type of person so it won't hurt me to open one.

I don't go there to get more friends I actually only add people that I know in real life. I don't want strange people knowing things about me even though I talk to them online it's still scary, never know if they will stalk you or anything crazy.

I'm a food person and do I like posting new pics of what I cook/bake. Yesterday was persimmon cookies. A whole slew of them lol.

And yes Im currently trying to decide whether I want to end my job and open my own bakery so this would be a good marketing tool.

I do use Pinterest for recipes I have not joined but that site is pretty good for foodies ;)

#19 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

People who get envious over others' FB are basically insecure and unhappy about themselves/their lives anyway. It could be FB, it could be going to a party or invite where people have nicer clothes, appear to lead better lives, have nicer cars ... and it will set off their misery and envy.

You could get someone quizzing you about your background ... they asked, you answered their questions and bzbodiness ... and next thing you know = they're unhappy about their own lives and where they are/what they do not have. (Yet ironically, they never ask what you do not/may not have).
Or next thing you know ...they're always finding opportunities to put you down because they feel envious.
People like that are always comparing.

IF you're content with your own life, where you are, in life, with what you enjoy doing, who your 3-10 good friends are ... it really will NOT matter or make that big a difference if others have 300 friends and have 30 activities/events/parties they do wkly.

Edited by nomad 822, 28 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

• MichaelD likes this

#20 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I do use Pinterest for recipes I have not joined but that site is pretty good for foodies Posted Image

The thing I don't like about that fuckin' place is that it's all overrun with women stuff ... rather more often than ALL SORTS of "more interesting stuff" ... like if you're a guy and you want to post guy stuff ... good luck attracting anyone, because I don't think too many guys use it ... according to how much women stuff is out there

It's not that I wouldn't use it ... but it's really "gender bias" or overrun with women's stuff there

people that are envious and Facebook ... yeah it's because they think everything is Facebook and that's all they look at ... they don't bother to
think or look at / explore / try anything else new or outside of it, or not all that much. They're obviously not occupying their time with much else

Edited by GOLDENCARP, 30 January 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#21 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

^^ LOL yep it is totally slanted for women,,,,, I just use it for grilling recipes diff cooking ideas its really good for that.

#22 BMPP

BMPP

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

^^^ OHH me tooo, especially since I'm just starting off and slowly building up my cook book.
  • MichaelD likes this

#23 behappyman 2.0

behappyman 2.0

Asian Fanatic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Rule number one: Your facebook is only as good as your friends on it.
Rule number two: Never take home any bad experiences after the shut-down button.
Rule number three: People who advertise all their personal assets on there, after every new purchase, are also inviting robbers and thieves, saying "hey! have a look!" Don't envy them because doing that is not smart.
Rule number four: The business side for facebook users can be good, but there's nothing else really after those four rules.

After the shut-down button, real life begins again, so don't let it stress you. He who shouts the loudest, acts the most Posted Image.

Edited by behappyman 2.0, 31 January 2013 - 10:58 PM.

• Nitikie, Linnh, Goldencarp and 1 other like this

#24 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Rule number one: Your facebook is only as good as your friends on it.
Rule number two: Never take home any bad experiences after the shut-down button.
Rule number three: People who advertise all their personal assets on there, after every new purchase, are also inviting robbers and thieves, saying "hey! have a look!" Don't envy them because doing that is not smart.
Rule number four: The business side for facebook users can be good, but there's nothing else really after those four rules.

After the shut-down button, real life begins again, so don't let it stress you. He who shouts the loudest, acts the most Posted Image.

Pretty much agree with this ... except we don't need to shout all the time (although by coincedence today ... I had to get off the computer for some reason earlier ... and because my mom was so much impatient (like as soon as she came in, not even like 5 or 10 seconds) ... she got all me mad in the moment

trying not to be angry ... yeah most if not all the time.

although I have to say ... sometimes Facebook is boring, not exciting all the time ... some people are really obsessed with Facebook and they just can't seem to "stay away / off" for like even one day ... btw did you hear about the website that pays $20 for people who will stay off Facebook ... but only if they stay off for like a whole month (and probably not simply temporary)

lol ... if only they had something like that for other addictions!! ... I think it would "help alot of people" ... but it shouldn't really be for the money ... if someone's going to "quit an addiction" then it's supposed to be for the pure sake of wanting to quit the habit

So if not "exactly, or totally, help them" ... then at least the money would motivate them a bit more (even though it's only like $20!!! lol. Strange though ... being "so willing to quit a habit ... just for $20??" ... if something was a REALLY SERIOUS habit ... I think it would
take more than just $20 to seriously motivate them ... if the same offer was like $2000 or more, yeah I'd probably do it ...

But really though ... I'm already motivated by money AND my goals anyway ... and that includes achieving more and better work / life / overall balance ... something I'm always working towards more ... or intending to as I go along

and I don't need to be "mocked, insulted or offended for it" because no one's perfect ... everyone has their habits, temptations, impulses, some kind of "self problem or habit about themselves", or something they want to change about themselves ... so I know
no one's perfect and "everyone is at fault in some way" OR wants to improve something about themselves

and then there's some people "who never seem to change AT ALL" ... and maybe sometimes sad it may be ... but that's their problem. If they really care ... they would at least make some kind of effort ... and hopefully "good enough"

but I'm not here to really talk about that ... I just thought I would mention it along the way

but on what he said earlier ... I agree with the 4 things said ... other than simply being able to promote yourself

Edited by GOLDENCARP, 01 February 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#25 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

If you're talking about me getting off ... I wasn't referring to that. I meant people who are addicted to Facebook

#26 HeTieShou

HeTieShou

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I see more bad rather than good on facebook...it has caused so many unnecessary problems that would not have occurred without it... I have one but never touch it and regret having one in the first place... But sadly, you can never truly delete it...

Edited by HeTieShou, 01 February 2013 - 09:36 PM.

• MichaelD likes this

#27 cutie_bratz14

cutie_bratz14

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Most of my Facebook friends use the social network to create drama, they post stuff about this person without directly stating the name and so on and so forth. Some also are quite braggarts who think we live in their world. Lol. Anyways, I'm so done with Facebook.
  • MichaelD likes this

#28 Twinny

Twinny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

That's why I rarely visit facebook... I'm planning to delete my account.
  • MichaelD likes this

#29 jandari

jandari

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

That's why I never bother to have an account in the first place.....

#30 WilIiam

WilIiam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

That's why I never bother to have an account in the first place.....

I regretted opening my first facebook account.

I should have stay out of communicating with strangers.

Edited by WilIiam, 16 February 2013 - 04:36 AM.

• HeTieShou and jandari like this

#31 deedee1

deedee1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

What's there to envy, different people want different things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users