AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

"Inbound Troubles" face cancellation

hong kong inbound troubles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37258 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

"Inbound Troubles" face cancellation
Monday January 21, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: http://my.entertainm...-083200402.html

Posted Image

TVB drama, "Inbound Troubles" is in trouble for stirring up controversies for its misunderstood representation of the mainland Chinese and Hong Kong citizens.

According to Asianpopnews website, the light-hearted drama, written by comedic actor Wong Cho Lam, initially intended to poke fun and celebrate the cultural conflicts between the mainlanders and the Hong Kong residents. But the plot has been severely blasted not only by mainland Chinese but also by Hong Kong citizens.

Viewers were particularly irked by Angela Tong's portrayal of a rude Hong Kong tour guide who scolded tourists, while Wong Cho Lam and Roger Kwok play a China citizen who speaks in poor Cantonese and a Hong Kong citizen who speaks in badly pronounced Chinese respectively.

The annoyance has even developed into harassments with Roger Kwok sharing that he was scolded while walking on the streets by a girl who chided him for badly representing Hong Kong citizens.

Producer Wong Wai Sing also experienced the same thing. Speaking to the media, the producer revealed that a viewer scolded him on the phone for the lack of humour in the drama, saying that the drama only deepened the tension between China and Hong Kong.

Wong revealed that although they only wanted to reflect the reality and did not intend for the relationship to worsen, the drama will only stop airing if the company decides for it to be.

The series has received 60 complaints till date. However, it still received better ratings than the recent TVB dramas, with its premier averaging at 31 points and attracting 2.12 million viewers.

#2 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4804 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

How stupid! Come on people -- we are in 2013 now, not the 1970s! I mean, I understand HK audiences are more conservative and all but to 'threaten' cancellation just because the series rubs a certain group of people the wrong way is just plain absurd!

By the way -- TVB doesn't cancel series because of 'complaints'....in their 45 year history, they've only cancelled a TV series ONCE back in the 1970s/early 80s and that was because of poor ratings (plus that series didn't even finish filming, so the circumstances were a bit different too)...so unless Inbound Troubles' ratings drop to some ridiculous number (like under 20 or something, which we all know will never happen), there's no way TVB is going to cancel the series.

I'm actually not sure who started the cancellation rumors but whoever did must have a very very low tolerance level (and also have no clue what he/she is talking about...)

#3 agnes tan agnes

agnes tan agnes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hope TVB will not cancel the series due to conservative people.
It seems HK people only like the world to see the positive side of them, very Kia Suo
I like this series very much as it's very funny and different from the rest.

#4 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6935 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

This drama is so funny, heck care the complains totally, dont care about it

The complains are all whiners who cant take the drama, just get lost

#5 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

reason why it will not be cancelled:
"it still received better ratings than the recent TVB dramas, with its premier averaging at 31 points and attracting 2.12 million viewers."

#6 GQKeVyn

GQKeVyn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

i don't see TVB canceling any series. I mean, this isn't like a network show here in the states. This whole series is already filmed and if it doesn't finish airing, what the hell is TVB going to tell all the sponsors? And plus, TVB has a bad record of blindly supporting their dramas, 60 complaints is not going to cause a cancellation.

#7 dingbat22

dingbat22

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

For godsakes it's ONLY A DRAMA! It's not a matter of life or death, people should see it lightheartedly and so what if they're poking fun, it's humor. If they can't even find the humor in the series then that's their problem, they surely have a problem lighting up themselves....Posted Image
As for cancelling the series, that would just make more headlines and prove to be a joke!

Just to add: No ONE is forcing them to watch the series, they can just switch channels or turn the tv off,simple as that lol

Edited by dingbat22, 22 January 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#8 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Cancellation only because they used some truth in their story? ohh please, why must everything always be clean? people should just watch and laugh of it.

Edited by Vi Linh, 22 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#9 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6215 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Major facepalm. This is not a reality show, it's a frigging drama but it seems that for some unknown reasons, Mainlanders / HK citizens have the tendency to get over-sensitive about it... Same for Hollywood movies, any one of them that portrays Mainlanders in a bad light would be banned from China shores. Personally I have not watched this drama, but seeing how they have reacted to past events, I'm not surprised that they're having their heads all over this...

#10 TVBGeek

TVBGeek

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Don't be crazy! why cancel such a good show! NO WAY! How bout cancelling the netizens voice instead -.- I am so in love with this series, I couldn't get enough of it which is so unexpected.

Edited by TVBGeek, 22 January 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#11 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I doubt it will be cancelled. It has decent ratings....well to TVB it is very high!Posted Image

#12 Jean Grey

Jean Grey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think this series is pretty good and people really need to take a chill pill.

If this is offensive, what about those movies/dramas about Second Sino-Japanese war that produced by them would have some lines saying 'Japanese are evil and all those stuffs' ?

#13 BoscoHeart

BoscoHeart

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

i'm not a fan of this drama. but since i have nothing else to watch, i'm just watching this drama together with come home love and the days of days.

but really. i can't see why all these people are complaining. it's just something for entertainment. if you don't like. then don't watch. simple as what.

#14 autumnleaves8

autumnleaves8

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

LOL, there's no way that it's going to be cancelled. TVB also confirmed that they will not be cutting any scenes due to the complaints. When Heaven Burns had a ton of complaints and ended up with Best Series at the awards. Maybe Inbound Troubles will have the same good fate? :P

#15 The Yen Man

The Yen Man

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Man, Hongers sure have thin skin. So it's ok for them to make fun of other people (ie. portraying stereotypical East Indians, Filipinos, etc.) but once they are the target of ridicule, they get their panties in a bunch?

Grow up Hong Kong, and get with the rest of the 21st century.