AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Are made in China products fragile or poorly made?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ait Wang

Ait Wang

xoxo Mr Wang

• Forum Crew
  • 2259 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

In our country Philippines, we have lots of Chinese traders. Lots of Filipino buy their products because they're cheap but after 2, 3 days or a month they're broken. I don't know whether the situation is the same in your country. Please enlighten me.

#2 Meow ♡

Meow ♡

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yes. I live in the US and I often get told by my grandparents, "do not buy/use China products." It's quite ironic because most of the stuff here in the US are made in China.

#3 jandari

jandari

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

In our country Philippines, we have lots of Chinese traders. Lots of Filipino buy their products because they're cheap but after 2, 3 days or a month they're broken. I don't know whether the situation is the same in your country. Please enlighten me.

ha ha ha..so true Ait.
I see all the china made low cost stuff here in Manila.
It seems that people look for necessity rather than quality.
After all, as people tell me in Manila..times are hard.
So, why buy a P400+ led light bulb, while you can get
it for only P100 or less in a public seller.

Edited by alexann, 12 January 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#4 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

You mean totally created by china or just produced in china? Either way I think china has also high quality products like some fabrics etc. I have couple of jeans label and made by china good jeans. But then we have adidas shoes made by china, are these counted of china products? Those are good shoes.. What was funny thing I saw one day.. It was some asian product which was made in croatia or something like that.. I was thinking how funny.. now asian countries produce their stuff in cheaper countries? .. Anyway.. There is bad quality rubbish in every each country and then everyone has their own high quality products. If sewings tears apart I sew it back together, no big deal... I have some high quality bag I won of a competition it is from "big" designer, lol (I could not care less) and sewings are what they are.. And sometimes you buy something made by hands in Africa and that lasts forever.. Never know.. Rather than a country it has made I try to look what are materials which are used and if sewings or seams are whole.

#5 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Well, people say made in China stuff is bad quality and dangerous but if you throw away all made in China products in your house then your house would be almost empty! lol.... But there are some products made in China that are a bit low standard and possibly dangerous even, but these companies are actually illegally cutting corners....

But yeah, overall its safe to use and the standards is good.... Just a few companies that cuts corners are the ones causing huge public image crisis for Chinese products. But then again most foreign companies have plants in China these days.

Made in China products are cheap and unless you want to spend more on your shopping then you should be glad that China and other developing countries carry on making products for you....

Cheap made in China goods are great for people living on a budget because they can spend less on buying stuff....

Also these days, China is building value products like cell phones, cars and etc. So its not all cheap stuff they make....

#6 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

China makes so many products in this world, it's hard to keep count. They make anything under the sun. Their quality ranges from Coach bags to Apple computers to plastic figurines. No one can conclude that made in China equates to a product that is fragile or poorly made. What I can say is that if you're purchasing something that would normal cost substantially more but you so happen to be getting a steep discount for it, then the product would most likely be of lower quality. Think about it, why is the guy selling it to you for so little when he can and should be selling it for so much more?

#7 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Decades ago, people believed Made in Japan were inferior and low quality products....now everyone knows Japan makes high quality stuff. Same with Korea. So I don't have any doubt China will improve quality as the years go on....

The three Asian countries Japan, South Korea and now China have been following this exact trend.

#8 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6213 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

You get what you paid for. If you spend a little more, I'm sure the product will last a little longer, and vice versa. Doesn't matter where it's being made. Imo, although Made in China products are said to be dangerous, there are some decent quality stuff from them as well. It's almost impossible to not buy any Made in China product because these days most countries import from China as it's cheap. The only Made in China products I don't buy are mostly cosmetic / facial. They give me allergies >.<

#9 KittyLam

KittyLam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

That’s called profit-driven nature of greedy foreign corporations and Chinese manufacturers. Foreign bosses want to maximize their profits as best as they can, but simultaneously bring pressure to bear on Chinese factory owners to keep lowering prices for competition. Chinese manufacturers who also want to widen their profit margins feel that they have little to lose if they take risk with consumer safety for the sake of more profits. So, goods quality becomes sacrifice in the price war of their own at the end of day.

If you want to have more insights of this issue, I suggest you to read "Poorly Made in China" by Paul Midler. The book will tell you industry secrets of US importers and Chinese manufacturers, including the dangerous practice of quality fade in Chinese habits used to increase profits. It's a good book, no doubt.

Edited by KittyLam, 15 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#10 MrCritique

MrCritique

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

If you want to have more insights of this issue, I suggest you to read "Poorly Made in China" by Paul Midler. The book will tell you industry secrets of US importers and Chinese manufacturers, including the dangerous practice of quality fade in Chinese habits used to increase profits. It's a good book, no doubt.

A very interesting read, especially for those in mangaement/ business who are interested in dealing with the Chinese.

In the book, Midler spent a great length to inform the reader of a unique Chinese business strategy that is relevant to the topic of this thread. Initially, the Chinese manufacturers always offer her foreign clients high quality products and services at a modest cost, which would lull these clients to expand their investment. However, quality would then go down over time under the pressure of rising costs. At that point, the foreign investors might complain but they no longer have the leverage as by that time they would be "in too deep" to pull out without suffereing huge losses.

#11 KittyLam

KittyLam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

A very interesting read, especially for those in mangaement/ business who are interested in dealing with the Chinese.

So what about your opinions from the lens of a customer after reading the book? Are you scared off made-in-China products in general? Would you mind telling us? It never minds me though if you don't want to. I'm just excited as there's someone here who also reads this book.

#12 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

So what about your opinions from the lens of a customer after reading the book? Are you scared off made-in-China products in general? Would you mind telling us? It never minds me though if you don't want to. I'm just excited as there's someone here who also reads this book.

Can I get this book for free online?

At the end of the day the customer will vote with their dollars at the cash register. If a company can sell low quality goods to US consumers, it is because US consumers are willing to pay $X for a product at the quality that it's at. I'll use myself as an example, when I buy a pair of shoes, I look for certain things including the type of grain in the leather, lining in the shoe, type of soles, and how much of the shoe was machine made. I'm not a cobbler by the way, nor do I sell shoes. But I've taken the time and effort to educate myself about shoes. Because I've educated myself about this, I do not buy shoes anywhere in the US. Because of my own preference, I buy my shoes when I'm on my business trips to France because I know that one shoe company can make the exact type of shoe to the standards that I want them at. Do I pay for this, you bet - and through the nose!

My point is, if US consumers took the effort to educate themselves on the products they purchased, and were more discriminant about the quality of the products, then they wouldn't have to buy poorly made goods because their money would be chasing better made goods. Unfortunately, with how lazy Americans are, the cheap goods that they acquiesced to buying will continue their vicious cycle.

#13 KittyLam

KittyLam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

My point is, if US consumers took the effort to educate themselves on the products they purchased, and were more discriminant about the quality of the products, then they wouldn't have to buy poorly made goods because their money would be chasing better made goods.

I also think it’s a simple principle for consumers: the more you pay for the product, the longer and more pleasantly you use it. You pay less for it, how can you demand to use it for long? It’s so simple to understand.

I was willing to pay more for a LED TV made in Thailand than for the same brand one made in China ‘cause I knew I’d feel safe about the quality and durability of the first. Likewise, I bought a laptop made in Japan worth nearly $2,000. With that money, I could buy 2 laptops of the same hardware configuration that were made in China. Though, I have nothing to complain of high price or quality of the Japanese laptop ‘cause I knew for sure it’s worth my money. A good dog deserves a good bone.

Can I get this book for free online?

Can you download from a torrent link? I happen to find out a .pdf file of this book. If you can, I’ll send you the link in a private message.

#14 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

yes, in many cases you get what you pay for but in some cases not true. I bought some shoes that cost more than some shoes at Ross but only lasted a few months.

#15 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

yes, in many cases you get what you pay for but in some cases not true. I bought some shoes that cost more than some shoes at Ross but only lasted a few months.

Expect machine made shoes to last 6 months. Depending on how hard you wear them, you can start subtracting the life of the product then. I think you may have had higher expectations than what your money bought here. Shoes, as an example, has turned from a long lasting leather product to a churned product that people just wear and throw out.

#16 KittyLam

KittyLam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

yes, in many cases you get what you pay for but in some cases not true.

That's when you mistakenly bought fake goods at the prices of genuine ones. It's not related to what I talk above: well-made products of higher prices manufactured or assembled in other nations compared with poorly-made ones of lower prices in China.

#17 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Let me provide an example: Coach. Coach, which are all made in China, has two assembly lines. One is for retail store and the other for outlet stores. The quality control, production standards, and even colours are purposely fitted differently for the two lines. Burberry does the same thing!