AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Your asian parents' friends calling you pretty?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 pixiepeddle

pixiepeddle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Most of the time, when my parents' friends come by and sees me, they would always say "your daughter is so pretty" even though I'm clearly not. Do you get these situations or is it just me? Why do you think they do that?

#2 jandari

jandari

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

How you see yourself may not be the way others see you.
Take it as a compliment
and stop being hard on yourself.
The next time they tell your parents how pretty you are
Just say: "Thank you"Posted Image

#3 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I do have that but most of the time it's because i do a modelling job on the side and my mom mentions it more then i'd like.. so when they meet me they feel forced to call me pretty.
Even when that day i just got downstairs with my hair a curly uncombed mess and no make-up on Posted Image

And trust me there is a huge difference between my morning face and my photo shoot face where i have 2 people style me Posted Image
But i think people also just like to say nice things about each others children ( no matter what age )
Because parents are usually always very proud of their children in a ''i made that'' kinda way.
So they are just complimenting each others accomplishments when they do that.
Just say thank you and take it as a compliment ^^

My parents aren't asian though but i think this goes for most parents/parents friends

Edited by MadameMary, 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#4 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Oh its a chinese thing! My parents always complimenting on their friend's kids saying how pretty/handsome they are, and saying how ugly I am, LOOOOOL they say it but don't necessary mean it.

The Asian AFers will know what I mean Posted Image

#5 Canuck21

Canuck21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Most of the time, when my parents' friends come by and sees me, they would always say "your daughter is so pretty" even though I'm clearly not. Do you get these situations or is it just me? Why do you think they do that?

LOL. Well at least you seem to have a good sense of humour.

#6 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

they do that because they're being nice and trying to creat rapport. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#7 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Yeah its a Chinese thing. They say it to be nice. It happens all the time....

#8 HeTieShou

HeTieShou

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Yea, you really wonder if they mean it since at times their tone sounds sooo fake...

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Then It is time to feel pretty Posted Image

If anyones mom or dad is not clapping to your butt it is ok to say you are pretty. White people comment looks of the kids too sometimes.

#10 i.am.me

i.am.me

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

If they say it, then you should just smile and offer thanks. Your parents can deal with it.

When someone says I am pretty, my mom makes sure to add..."oh but she is...insert something negative."

Eh.

#11 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6210 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

They are just being nice. When you're not around, there are chances they are likely to talk nasty things behind your back. I wouldn't be surprised because it happens all the time, but I guess it depends on how you deal with them. If you respond very eh rudely, they would have a negative impression of you, but if you respond politely, you give them a good impression. Hence every time over Chinese New Year (the only time I have to see the distant relatives) it's the season of 'faking' lol. Even the closest relatives are like this. My mum doesn't keep in contact with her friends so it's fine, I don't get to see them. But when she does meet up with her friends, everyone would go on about how 'pretty' I am - which obviously I just take it as a compliment whether or not you feel otherwise. My mum on the other hand doesn't praise me that much, so most of the time I don't feel comfortable when someone praised me. lol I'm so glad I only see them once every 20 years.

Edited by SoulReaper, 10 January 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#12 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

If they say it, then you should just smile and offer thanks. Your parents can deal with it.

When someone says I am pretty, my mom makes sure to add..."oh but she is...insert something negative."

Eh.

That is sad make her stop tell her how you feel :(

#13 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Happens to me all the time, or they don't tell me it but to my mom. So I think it is an Asian stuff.

#14 Guest_ge_*

Guest_ge_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

yeah its common. Chinese ppl like to be polite in front of you, but not so behind closed doors, like what someone said. I'm more Asian than Western, so I'm one of those people that you speak of. I say fake stuff in front of the other person, like "oh you got new haircut. You look nice!" although it doesn't

#15 Guest_past_*

Guest_past_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

yes and always, but thats in the past now

#16 *.marshmalloww

*.marshmalloww

piko ♥ .

• Forum Seniors
  • 3318 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Lol.... looks like most of the Asian members look at this negatively instead of saying "oh no, don't think that about yourself!" But unfortunately it IS true. I have no idea whether parents' friends like to be fake or not (since not like I'd know what they're really thinking and my parents don't do that unless they actually think so), but whenever any stranger / parents' acquaintances says I am pretty, I ALWAYS doubt what they actually think because I feel like Asian parents just like to be nice and give you compliments.
The phrase Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is true though, I am sure some people actually mean it when they say it, even though you may think you're not pretty.
So I mean, it's not fair to think that everyone is being fake when they say you're pretty anyway.

Edited by *.marshmalloww, 12 January 2013 - 05:48 AM.