AF needs funding again

Photo

Gangnam Style is bigger than Star Wars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderful Wonderland

Wonderful Wonderland

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Sometime in the next day, maybe in the next few hours, humanity will hit a major milestone that has nothing to do with the Mayan apocalypse (we hope).

For the first time in history, we will be able to state categorically that a single piece of visual entertainment has been watched more than a billion times.

No prizes for guessing what that video will be: the surprise international smash hit of 2012; the song that made Seoul's richest neighborhood world-famous; the video that reveals for the first time exactly how much fun you can have in a powder blue tuxedo jacket; the meme that spawned a thousand imitations. Oppa Gangnam Style.

At time of writing, all that stands between "Gangnam Style" and the billion-view milestone is a mere 5,722,039 clicks of the play button.

That may sound like a lot, but not for this video. When it comes to going viral, Psy's $8 million mega-hit is on another plane of existence. For example: as I wrote this story, I had to revise that number above twice. "Gangnam Style" has gained another three million views in a matter of hours.

That's far above its average rate of gain, which YouTube says is roughly 7 million new views per day. Either Psy is growing more popular by the second, or there's a global contest going on to watch "Gangnam Style" for the billionth time.

I'm just lucky I'm not writing this on Saturday -- which, according to YouTube, is the day of the week most people tend to watch the Psy video. (The company also says there's a spike in views for Rebecca Black's "Friday" on a Friday, even now). Make of that what you will.

Bigger Than Bieber, Bigger than Star Wars

"Gangnam Style" is already the most-watched video of all time, having overtaken Justin Bieber's "Baby" back in late November. Since then, "Baby" has gained another 10 million views -- and "Gangnam Style" has gained nearly 200 million.

Again, let's put that in perspective. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, one of the most watched films of all time, has sold around 163 million movie tickets in total, according to this box office analysis. "Gangnam Style" added that number of views in three weeks. It laughs at Star Wars.

Of course, the number of views on a YouTube video does not correlate to the number of people who've watched it, just as the number of tickets sold doesn't tell you how many people have seen a given movie. We'll probably never know exactly how many people have watched "Gangnam Style" since it exploded on our screens in mid-July, just as we'll never know how much of the planet has seen A New Hope at least once.

But consider this: how many people clustered around the screen the last time you fired up "Gangnam Style"? How many of us have only seen it on other people's machines, adding nothing to the view total? How many times has it been shown at parties, again, notching up just a single view? For all we know, more than a billion people have already seen the video. The view count is the only metric we have, and it's far better than any box-office ranking or Nielsen measurement. It is absolute and unimpeachable. The view count doesn't lie. Who on this planet will watch "Gangnam Style" for the billionth time? Only the view count knows. Hopefully, whomever it is will take a screen shot.

YouTube is looking into the question of whether they'll be able to identify where it was watched for the billionth time, if not by whom.

No doubt scholarly treatises are already being penned by media studies Ph.D.s on why this video became such a monster hit, and why we keep coming back to it. Is it the earworm dance track and the horse-riding dance? Does that explain why it gets most views on a Saturday -- firing it up to get your weekend started in the morning, dancing your socks off at night?

That's a big part of it. But I think it also comes down to two other factors. Watch this video from mid-August, in which U.S. teens are shown "Gangnam Style" for the first time, and you'll hear two words come up repeatedly: "random" and "swag." As in "that was the most random thing I've ever seen," and "that guy's swag is off the charts."

#2 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Bigger then Star Wars?
Okay now this is starting to annoy me royally

Gangnam style is funny in a ''look at this man dance in a silly way singing a language that sounds catchy!''
It isn't an award winning song with meaningful lyrics difficult dance and original beat..
It's just a silly light hearted song.

To say that it's bigger then one of the worlds largest franchises is a bit ridiculous.
And to be fair i'm actually getting a bit tired of the whole thing already.
One of the major reasons it became this popular is because the Internet.
Yes ladies and gentlemen the internet likes random funny stuff.
Since the internet has been getting more attention then television by young people which western television media has finally noticed they deicided to jump on the bandwagon of meme's and other silly stuff and to be ''cool and hip to the kids'' they have been shoving PSY's gangnam style down our throats in a sort of
"look kids! we are totally up to date to your internet memes! we are cool too!''
Britney spears dancing to the song? You think she actually has genuine interest in the whole thing? Ofcourse not.
That woman realized her career came to an end long ago so now she clings to anything to get back in the media.
They used to say that the television killed the radio and i think by now we can safely say the internet killed the television.
It is no longer television which sets trends and makes stars it's the internet and television media kinda ''runs after''

It was the combination of sheer luck, good timing ( we needed something light hearted ) a funny dance, catchy beat and silly character of a man that caused this song to gain as much fame as it did and i wish him good luck on his other music
But to act as if this is the new best thing ever based on youtube views just baffles me and kinda annoys me as you can tell by this rant next thing you'll know some will claim he's the next micheal jackson.
And since when do we use youtube views to declare someones success anyway?
Justin bieber had so many views because over 60% of them where from haters.
Not typically what one would use to show their success now is it?

Edited by MadameMary, 21 December 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#3 mexican_rules

mexican_rules

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

congratulations to Psy!!! just keep the low profile will you? Koreans are minority in this forum....poll says only 42 people....among thousands of chinese

#4 RadeonHD

RadeonHD

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Congratulations to PSY for the 1bn views. :P

#5 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

Give me 1,000,000,000 reasons why you think that.

#6 Canuck21

Canuck21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Gangnam Style will never be bigger than Star Wars. It may has more counts on YouTube, but that thing is free and only last a few minutes. You have to pay to watch Star Wars and the love people have for Star Wars in beyond anything we've seen in the movie business, let alone compared to a merely funny video. Few people actually love Gangnam Style like people love Star Wars. Nobody will name Gangnam Style as their favourite song or even video. It's just a funny thing to most. Star Wars on the other is loved dearly by many. I for one consider The Empire Strikes Back as my favourite movie of all time and I know I'm not alone. Come back to me when PSY becomes a billionaire like George Lucas.

#7 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Gangnam Style will never be bigger than Star Wars. It may has more counts on YouTube, but that thing is free and only last a few minutes. You have to pay to watch Star Wars and the love people have for Star Wars in beyond anything we've seen in the movie business, let alone compared to a merely funny video. Few people actually love Gangnam Style like people love Star Wars. Nobody will name Gangnam Style as their favourite song or even video. It's just a funny thing to most. Star Wars on the other is loved dearly by many. I for one consider The Empire Strikes Back as my favourite movie of all time and I know I'm not alone. Come back to me when PSY becomes a billionaire like George Lucas.

Few people? Lol that's the biggest understatement I've heard. Nobody will name it as their fav? It's the most favorited video/liked video on YouTube of all time. I think it's a bit far-stretch here. I'm not sure why the comparison of a music video and a franchise series is being even made....completely different things that aren't even parallel.... The one video already has a billion videos....tell me when one of those vids hit a billion, then come back to me.

To MadameMary: I heard on German media there was going to be a million-man flash mob at Brandenburg Gate on New Years Eve, is that true?

Sometime in the next day, maybe in the next few hours, humanity will hit a major milestone that has nothing to do with the Mayan apocalypse (we hope).
For the first time in history, we will be able to state categorically that a single piece of visual entertainment has been watched more than a billion times.
No prizes for guessing what that video will be: the surprise international smash hit of 2012; the song that made Seoul's richest neighborhood world-famous; the video that reveals for the first time exactly how much fun you can have in a powder blue tuxedo jacket; the meme that spawned a thousand imitations. Oppa Gangnam Style.
At time of writing, all that stands between "Gangnam Style" and the billion-view milestone is a mere 5,722,039 clicks of the play button.
That may sound like a lot, but not for this video. When it comes to going viral, Psy's $8 million mega-hit is on another plane of existence. For example: as I wrote this story, I had to revise that number above twice. "Gangnam Style" has gained another three million views in a matter of hours.
That's far above its average rate of gain, which YouTube says is roughly 7 million new views per day. Either Psy is growing more popular by the second, or there's a global contest going on to watch "Gangnam Style" for the billionth time.
I'm just lucky I'm not writing this on Saturday -- which, according to YouTube, is the day of the week most people tend to watch the Psy video. (The company also says there's a spike in views for Rebecca Black's "Friday" on a Friday, even now). Make of that what you will.
Bigger Than Bieber, Bigger than Star Wars

"Gangnam Style" is already the most-watched video of all time, having overtaken Justin Bieber's "Baby" back in late November. Since then, "Baby" has gained another 10 million views -- and "Gangnam Style" has gained nearly 200 million.
Again, let's put that in perspective. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, one of the most watched films of all time, has sold around 163 million movie tickets in total, according to this box office analysis. "Gangnam Style" added that number of views in three weeks. It laughs at Star Wars.
Of course, the number of views on a YouTube video does not correlate to the number of people who've watched it, just as the number of tickets sold doesn't tell you how many people have seen a given movie. We'll probably never know exactly how many people have watched "Gangnam Style" since it exploded on our screens in mid-July, just as we'll never know how much of the planet has seen A New Hope at least once.
But consider this: how many people clustered around the screen the last time you fired up "Gangnam Style"? How many of us have only seen it on other people's machines, adding nothing to the view total? How many times has it been shown at parties, again, notching up just a single view? For all we know, more than a billion people have already seen the video. The view count is the only metric we have, and it's far better than any box-office ranking or Nielsen measurement. It is absolute and unimpeachable. The view count doesn't lie. Who on this planet will watch "Gangnam Style" for the billionth time? Only the view count knows. Hopefully, whomever it is will take a screen shot.
YouTube is looking into the question of whether they'll be able to identify where it was watched for the billionth time, if not by whom.
No doubt scholarly treatises are already being penned by media studies Ph.D.s on why this video became such a monster hit, and why we keep coming back to it. Is it the earworm dance track and the horse-riding dance? Does that explain why it gets most views on a Saturday -- firing it up to get your weekend started in the morning, dancing your socks off at night?
That's a big part of it. But I think it also comes down to two other factors. Watch this video from mid-August, in which U.S. teens are shown "Gangnam Style" for the first time, and you'll hear two words come up repeatedly: "random" and "swag." As in "that was the most random thing I've ever seen," and "that guy's swag is off the charts."

Did you just copy and paste all of this? This is kinda like trolling smh

#8 Tokyokirei

Tokyokirei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

It has the most views because it's stupid. Simple as that. That was pretty much how some people, including myself, learned about Gangnam Style. Those we know would come up to us or post on their facebook and say, "Hey, you gotta check out how retarded this guy is" and of course, that would be enough to spread the video like wildfire.

In fact, that was actually EXACTLY how I learned about Gangnam Style:

Boyfriend (looking at his facebook): Jesus Christ, they're still talking about Gangnam Style.

Me: What's Gangnam Style?

Boyfriend: You never heard of it? Good.

Me: What is it??

Boyfriend: It's f**k*ng retarded. Don't watch it.

And out of curiosity, I unfortunately looked it up.

#9 xiancity22152

xiancity22152

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

many K-pop fans told me that they hate Gangnam Style because they think millions of people around the world may get the wrong idea about what K-pop is really about, and thus disregard gangnam-style as not really k-pop, even though technically it is K-pop.

i do think there are better songs of K-pop than Gangnam Style. It's not hatred of K-pop just gangnam style. don't be so easily offended....

#10 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

To MadameMary: I heard on German media there was going to be a million-man flash mob at Brandenburg Gate on New Years Eve, is that true?

There is one every year but most of the time they fail due to police involvement.
Flash mobs aren't strictly forbidden it's just Germans can't seem to assemble in 1 place without getting in fights that do need police attendance the past few flash mobs all ended in fights and vandalism.
I thought they were going to do a pillow fight one again.

Nevertheless i can safely say Germany did NOT add to the views on that particular vid.
It's banned.

The Germans that do watch it watch other links that people upload or on other websites.

Edited by MadameMary, 23 December 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#11 BlackSky

BlackSky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

I don't understand how Gangnam Style is bigger than Star Wars, sure it has 1 billion views on Youtube but when it has a cult following like Star Wars and earns as much as it has through all its enterprises then you can make some sort of argument for it but until then, no.

Edited by BlackSky, 23 December 2012 - 02:15 AM.

#12 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

There is one every year but most of the time they fail due to police involvement.
Flash mobs aren't strictly forbidden it's just Germans can't seem to assemble in 1 place without getting in fights that do need police attendance the past few flash mobs all ended in fights and vandalism.
I thought they were going to do a pillow fight one again.

Nevertheless i can safely say Germany did NOT add to the views on that particular vid.
It's banned.

The Germans that do watch it watch other links that people upload or on other websites.

yeah but 1 million people...i've never seen such a thing...that is huge

#13 Jennifer Kim

Jennifer Kim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

I grew up listening to Psy's songs. I really like his song "Father"....it's about Psy's respect towards his father for sacrificing for the family, and also it's about his tough time for being a musician because his economy was bad. I'd seen through every Psy's interviews on TV after Gangnam Style became really popular, and one thing I noticed was he never showed boastfulness nor dishonesty. Another thing I noticed was Psy loves his wife more than anyone in the life. Most of Koreans love Psy for his personality......and Psy earned his 1billion view on Youtube as payback. So.....if anyone who came here to initiate some sort of bashing action, please don't.....

#14 fefe 鸽子

fefe 鸽子

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

It's banned.

just wondering...why is it banned?
Spoiler

Edited by fefelrefel, 23 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#15 Jean Grey

Jean Grey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

Sorry, I don't think Gangnam Style is bigger than Star Wars and it never will. Of course, comparing both is very irrelevant on the first place but it's still a 'popularity contest' after all.

How is Gangnam Style bigger than Star Wars? It's stated that Gangnam Style has 1 billion views > 163 millions ticket sales. Now, tell me, do you need to pay to watch that video clip on youtube? Don't forget you can watch again and again which will increase the total view of that clip on youtube. How stupid the person who wrote this article has failed to see that or probably a job of troll. If you really want to mention the ticket sales of Star Wars, you should compare the physical sales of Gangnam style which I believe less than 100, 000 (otherwise Super junior would not be the top selling artistes in 2012) compared with Star Wars that has 168 million ticket sales. How insignificant that number is compared with Star Wars. In addition, Star Wars had already earned billions of dollar while Gangnam Style only 8 millions dollar. That really tells the level difference between both.

And yes, Gangnam Style did better in digital sales which he has around 2 million sales. Impressive, but not really that impressive because they are other Asian singers achieve much better result not to mention Western singers. Just because Gangnam Style is the most watched video on youtube, the hardcore fans will always use that point trying to show it's better than anything else. When you judge something, don't be too one-sided and have to look at the bigger picture and definitely NOT from one angle.

Anyway, is there a source for this news? It seems like very fake and probably a job of troll.

Edited by Jean Grey, 23 December 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#16 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

I grew up listening to Psy's songs. I really like his song "Father"....it's about Psy's respect towards his father for sacrificing for the family, and also it's about his tough time for being a musician because his economy was bad. I'd seen through every Psy's interviews on TV after Gangnam Style became really popular, and one thing I noticed was he never showed boastfulness nor dishonesty. Another thing I noticed was Psy loves his wife more than anyone in the life. Most of Koreans love Psy for his personality......and Psy earned his 1billion view on Youtube as payback. So.....if anyone who came here to initiate some sort of bashing action, please don't.....

haha let them. It's actually kind of cute and funny watching em'. I mean I think some people take this gangnam style phenomenon too seriously....it's just a dance song with a silly MV.

In Germany, I think YouTube or certain YouTube videos are banned. It's some privacy issue they have over there.

omg, this is stupidest post of the year.

Sorry, I don't think Gangnam Style is bigger than Star Wars and it never will. Of course, comparing both is very irrelevant on the first place but it's still a 'popularity contest' after all.

How is Gangnam Style bigger than Star Wars? It's stated that Gangnam Style has 1 billion views > 163 millions ticket sales. Now, tell me, do you need to pay to watch that video clip on youtube? Don't forget you can watch again and again which will increase the total view of that clip on youtube. How stupid the person who wrote this article has failed to see that or probably a job of troll. If you really want to mention the ticket sales of Star Wars, you should compare the physical sales of Gangnam style which I believe less than 100, 000 (otherwise Super junior would not be the top selling artistes) compared with Star Wars that has 168 million ticket sales. How insignificant that number is compared with Star Wars. And yes, Gangnam Style did better in digital sales which he has around 2 million sales. Impressive, but not really that impressive because they are other Asian singers achieve much better result not to mention Western singers.

The person who posted this stupid article claiming "Gangnam Style is bigger than Star Wars" is a troll. The cases aren't even parallel....One is a SINGLE music video and the other is a long-standing franchise of movies.

Edited by DreamWeaver1337, 23 December 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#17 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Not for ''We do not want you to see this'' reasons.
We can easily see it on other channels.
But German youtube has some copyright issues so allot of ''official'' channels end up banning the vids in our country.
Like i can't view most VeVo channels.
But it's avoided with one click of a button we just click another video :P

#18 guest_chaebol

guest_chaebol

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

i knew Wonderful Wonderland was troll from day one. He(i'll just call this person he although he has no identity) is a person who attempts to transform a civil forum discussion into a battle of harsh words. He lures people into a massive argument by pretending as a 'Korean praiser', commenting inflammatory remarks so that he could attract haters. He then sit back and laugh to himself as the argument develops into the nerd equivalent of a bar fight. To feed a troll and make him stronger, just respond to him....

#19 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

Well, Psy is probably a one hit wonder..... But Star Wars is not. Star Wars has longevity..... 10 years later, I bet nobody will know Psy but people will still know what Star Wars is. I bet they will still be making Star Wars movies because now Disney has bought Lucas Arts, they plan on making lots of Star Wars movies and related stuff.....

Psy was interviewed on a chat show here and he said hes a "phenomenon" and not a huge star because he made 5 records before he made his gangnam style song....

Also this is not the right place for your topic which is basically about why you think Psy is bigger then Star Wars and you are essentially making a personal statement about it.....

#20 Canuck21

Canuck21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Few people? Lol that's the biggest understatement I've heard. Nobody will name it as their fav? It's the most favorited video/liked video on YouTube of all time. I think it's a bit far-stretch here. I'm not sure why the comparison of a music video and a franchise series is being even made....completely different things that aren't even parallel.... The one video already has a billion videos....tell me when one of those vids hit a billion, then come back to me.

Please, sometime I wonder if you have a reading comprehension problem. You take every word so literally. Just because Gangnam Style is the most liked/favoured video on YouTube, it doesn't mean really loved by the people. They don't mean the same thing you know. YouTube statistics don't represent the level of like/love.

Star Wars is loved for the past 35 years and it is on many peoples favourite movies of all time. Not only did it make lots of money, it also completely changed the movie industry. Star War doesn't need one billion views on YouTube, it is already popular through other means. Gangnam Style, although very much liked on YouTube, I doubt would make the top 10 of many peoples' favourites of anything except on YouTube statistics Most of all, Gangnam Style will not last.

Nobody has anything bad to say about PSY. The problem isn't him, it's the few stupid K-Pop fans.

Well, Psy is probably a one hit wonder..... But Star Wars is not. Star Wars has longevity..... 10 years later, I bet nobody will know Psy but people will still know what Star Wars is. I bet they will still be making Star Wars movies because now Disney has bought Lucas Arts, they plan on making lots of Star Wars movies and related stuff.....

Psy was interviewed on a chat show here and he said hes a "phenomenon" and not a huge star because he made 5 records before he made his gangnam style song....

Also this is not the right place for your topic which is basically about why you think Psy is bigger then Star Wars and you are essentially making a personal statement about it.....

10 years? Make it 35 years. Star Wars was first released in 1977. Also, Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney. LucasArts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm along with Industrial Light & Magic, the largest visual effects vendor in the motion picture industry

Edited by Canuck21, 28 December 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#21 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

^ I mean 10 years into the future, not how old Star wars franchise is....

Well, George Lucas sold off Lucas Films to Disney... Ah well, I forgot which one it was lol, Lucas Arts I remember well because they made all the star wars games on consoles and computers...

#22 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

So where is he now?
The hype died out.

Edited by MadameMary, 15 February 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#23 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

True people will maybe have Gangname style in their mind for awhile, but after awhile he will die out. He hasen't totally died out yet, i still see people joking about his song still. But star wars is a movie nobody will ever forget, even people like me who don't even like it, can never forget about star wars.