AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

TVB 45th Anniversary Awards Ceremony/Winners

hong kong tvb 45 anniversary awards wayne lai tavia yeung kenneth ma kate tsui oscar leung mandy wong liza wang koo ming wah

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#41 Phixster

Phixster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

For me the most interesting part of the ceremony was the three hosts. It seems the pace of the show was not timed well by whoever was managing the show backstage and they kept on speeding up and slowing down but the three of them acted very professionally and accommodated all the last minute changes very well. Everyone should give them some credit!

On another note - congrats to Mandy, Oscar, Kenneth and Nancy! Definately very deserving. It was also a nice touch for TVB to honour the veteran actors/actresses who are always there but never seem to get any recognition.

#42 SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988

~ TVB ADDICT ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

yeah, I noticed ma ming seemed kinder shocked that cheung jai won the BA award.
I too thought that shock was kinder like he thought he was going to get it.. but I dunno.. :/

Like most people here said, the awards given to the right person but for the wrong drama!

#43 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Most of the artistes that won awards are all deserving winners

Especially to Tavia and Kenneth

Was a pity that Kenneth didnt manage to win the best actor award, but losing to Wayne means he is still a year away

Congrats to Nancy

Her stepping stone is here for her to claim BA next year and climb up the ranks as best actress

#44 s a r a h

s a r a h

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

So funny, i gotta post it up lol..

'uh whatttt, BA is supposed to be mine' ..

Posted Image

#45 Gill#1Fan

Gill#1Fan

jay park<3

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5898 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think he was shocked that Raymond didn't win because Raymond was a hot favorite espeically when it comes to voting. His fans base would be larger than Wayne, that what I assume. Kenneth already said that he wouldn't mind always winning my favorite character,so I don't think he was shock he didn't win

#46 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• AF supporter
  • 4993 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sorry to deviate from award talk but... Oh no... I loved Nancy's look and dress the most at the awards ceremony as it was absolutely stunning but looking at the pictures above apparently it's see through...? =/

None the less putting that to the side I think she looked the best that night. Myolie's look was very... different and uncalled for and I wish Linda wore something nicer, especially since she does have a very nice figure.

I love Nancy's look the most, very fresh and lovely but at closer look at the pictures, her gown is quite see-through.

And I also love Fala's gown but her whole look and make-up is abit too understated for such a formal affair.

Tavia as usual loves to over decorate herself with lots of blink blink and tinsels that overpowers rather than enhances her beauty. Her hairstyle is reminisced of Audrey Hepburn but without the latter's grace and 'softness'. Tavia's glittering gown is rather dated looking too.

Kate looks quite petite and skinny but rather pretty in a rather ordinary silhouette fish-tail evening gown, quite a change from her past costumey get-up and gothic make-up.

And surprise, surprise, (NOT) Linda dressed in a very conservative, long sleeve, cover-up white gown projecting her 'pure' image with her pastel pink lipstick. And her front bodice reminds me of Star Trek look.

Don't know why but Mandy always (to me) looks frumpy and gauche, even when dressed in evening gowns. She is rather short so may want to avoid wearing high-waist dresses and wear dresses that streamline her figure.

Myolie - I read about her 'out-there' look before I saw her picture. Got to say her look though very attention grabbing is very weird looking to me, and not at all flattering to Myolie. Looks more like a wardrobe malfunction to me. Moreover she doesn't have the breast(s) to show off. In her high heels and short sleek hair, she looks like an androgynous amazon woman. Also looking at the pictures, her facial foundation is much lighter than her exposed flesh.

Michelle in her oriental meets western gown looks simply precious and lovely, although the floral pattern maybe a tad too much and her hair too beehive. But overall, I like her look.

Aimee's look seems incomplete, and her evening gown rather homemade.

Niki looks washed out in her rather simple evening gown.

Edited by tamaya, 18 December 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#47 bebeC

bebeC

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm not sure if Wayne winning BA for the third time is a good thing or not... His first two wins were definitely well deserved - no complaints there, but the third time for such an unspectacular role? I feel people voted for him because they feel he SHOULD get the award, and not because he deserved it for this particular performance (personally, I felt there was little difference between his character in TC and that of King Maker). This has kind of turned me off Wayne a bit, even though I know it's not his fault.

#48 swtvtgrl

swtvtgrl

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I love Nancy's look the most, very fresh and lovely but at closer look at the pictures, her gown is quite see-through.

And I also love Fala's gown but her whole look and make-up is abit too understated for such a formal affair.

Tavia as usual loves to over decorate herself with lots of blink blink and tinsels that overpowers rather than enhances her beauty. Her hairstyle is reminisced of Audrey Hepburn but without the latter's grace and 'softness'. Tavia's glittering gown is rather dated looking too.

Kate looks quite petite and skinny but rather pretty in a rather ordinary silhouette fish-tail evening gown, quite a change from her past costumey get-up and gothic make-up.

And surprise, surprise, (NOT) Linda dressed in a very conservative, long sleeve, cover-up white gown projecting her 'pure' image with her pastel pink lipstick. And her front bodice reminds me of Star Trek look.

Don't know why but Mandy always (to me) looks frumpy and gauche, even when dressed in evening gowns. She is rather short so may want to avoid wearing high-waist dresses and wear dresses that streamline her figure.

Myolie - I read about her 'out-there' look before I saw her picture. Got to say her look though very attention grabbing is very weird looking to me, and not at all flattering to Myolie. Looks more like a wardrobe malfunction to me. Moreover she doesn't have the breast(s) to show off. In her high heels and short sleek hair, she looks like an androgynous amazon woman. Also looking at the pictures, her facial foundation is much lighter than her exposed flesh.

Michelle in her oriental meets western gown looks simply precious and lovely, although the floral pattern maybe a tad too much and her hair too beehive. But overall, I like her look.

Aimee's look seems incomplete, and her evening gown rather homemade.

Niki looks washed out in her rather simple evening gown.

Right on! Nancy looked good in her dress, but I didn't know it was see-through, lol You really need a close-up look. But, I'm not loving Nancy's hair. Should have left it down. Michelle also looked good.

No one really stood out (in a good way). Myolie...just weird. Tavia is all bling bling as usual. Fala didn't sport a nude dress. Say what?! lol Her dress is nice, but she's sported nude makeup. Eh. Linda in all white, which suits her pure image. Haha Kate's dress is ok. I'm not a fan of peplum.

Oh, Aimee did and Angelina Jolie pose. Lmao I don't know what would look good on Mandy. She might want to try tight-fitting gowns. That strapless green is not flattering on her at all.

#49 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Gutted that Raymond had to "eat white fruit" but glad that Tavia won BA, and most of the winners were well deserved IMO!

Shocked that When Heaven Burns with its low TV ratings won best series.......well not too shocked since this is TVB afterall Posted Image

Anyway congrats to everyone!Posted Image

Edited by Kim4ever, 18 December 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#50 autumnleaves8

autumnleaves8

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I don't think Myolie had the most beautiful dress, but it was definitely the most edgy. I actually really liked it because it's different than all the other prom looks that other artists usually go for. My favorite was probably Kate since I liked her hair and thought the dress was very flattering on her.

#51 strawberry shortcake

strawberry shortcake

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Right on! Nancy looked good in her dress, but I didn't know it was see-through, lol You really need a close-up look. But, I'm not loving Nancy's hair. Should have left it down. Michelle also looked good.

Yes! I agree that her hairstyle was a major pitfall! She would have looked much better overall with a different hairstyle.

I liked Tavia too but agree that she blinged herself up too much. It matched with the black dress which I liked but a bit over the top. Kate's dress was nice but I didn't really like the top part. Mandy Wong was average, not bad but I don't think I would've remembered her dress/look had it not been yellow. I don't really remember how anyone else looked on top of them and Myolie and Linda. Oh the best host Maria looked rather nice too in her dress.

#52 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• AF supporter
  • 4993 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

No one really stood out (in a good way). Myolie...just weird. Tavia is all bling bling as usual. Fala didn't sport a nude dress. Say what?! lol Her dress is nice, but she's sported nude makeup. Eh. Linda in all white, which suits her pure image. Haha Kate's dress is ok. I'm not a fan of peplum.

Oh, Aimee did and Angelina Jolie pose. Lmao I don't know what would look good on Mandy. She might want to try tight-fitting gowns. That strapless green is not flattering on her at all.

You mean like the pose in the screencap below? lol!

Posted Image

Browse the individual enlarged pictures on baidu tvb

Edited by tamaya, 19 December 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#53 Lunablue

Lunablue

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

No surprises here. The results were predictable, weren't they? The only biggest disappointment, at least to me (perhaps its just me) is the Best Actress winner. I just don't see how 'special' or 'outstanding' her performance was in SS to be conferred TV Queen. Well, if that's what HK people want, what can I say. Just live with it! There are seriously better actress out there.

I'm glad that When Heaven Burns won Best Drama Series of the year. It was indeed the best. I was hoping for Power Chan to win, but I really believe his role in TC has most certainly taken him to a greater height, we shall be expecting to see more of him in heavier roles coming years and Congrats to Koo Ming Wah, he deserved the award.

#54 swtvtgrl

swtvtgrl

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1741 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Yes tamaya! She also striked that pose walking down the red carpet with Moses. Haha

Edited by swtvtgrl, 19 December 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#55 kingfai20

kingfai20

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

congratulations to Tavia for winning Best Actress Awards in Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles at the TVB 45th Anniversary Awards Ceremony and I'm so gutted that Raymond did not get Best Actor award in Highs & Lows series.

#56 heaven's tear

heaven's tear

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Grats to When Heaven Burns!!!!

Also happy for Tavia, Wayne, Liza...

Alot of well deserved winners this year in my opinion.

#57 kokoro912

kokoro912

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

Congrats to all the winners! All the winners were well-deserved of their respective awards!

#58 Lucia94

Lucia94

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Kenneth's expression after the announcement and congratulation of Best Actor Award was cute and funny. I think Kenneth was shocked because he thought Raymond Lam would have win. I like all of them but I am rooting for Kenneth winning Best Actor Award more. But, Wayne is a good actor and his role is harder to portray than Kenneth and Raymond's, so he deserves the award.

#59 Vvien

Vvien

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

For me I'm glad Tavia won. As for best actor, I thought Wayne Lai was mediocre and bland in The Confidant. I didn't watch Raymond Lam's drama so I can't comment on his acting.
Power Chan was a better actor in The Confidant. Koo Ming Wah probably won because the character So Gay was likeable.
Maybe should have put Power Chan in the Best Actor cat. Aimee was nominated for Best Actress despite being 2nd lead.
Really dislike how they keep showing past scenes with Raymond Wong. Bleh.

#60 Meow ♡

Meow ♡

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

^^No, they would never do that. Power may be a threat to Wayne.

#61 xxMiya

xxMiya

NOT YET

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

Power may be a threat to Wayne.

No, not really.

#62 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Looking at all the nomination performances this year, Wayne's was a deserving win. I don't understand why people are surprised? So what if he's won the third time? It was all deserving. Yes, his character in TC may seem all goody-goody and even borderline boring but underneath all his carefree and righteous attitude you can feel a person carrying a painful past and misery. And it all comes off so natural and subtle. Now THAT's good acting + well written character.

Raymond's Happy sir was good at the beginning with his devil-may-care and cocky attitude but the when he fell for Kate's character Happy sir just became irrationally different- not sure if it's just poor writing or acting but either way that's not a great performance. So I don't get all the fuss about him. I do like Kate's character though.

POWER CHAN should've won. I don't care how popular SoGay is. Power's performance is the superior one.

No, not really.

Yes. He is.

Power Chan = most underrated actor in tvb. And one of the best. Most of the leadings -Moses, Raymond and Kevin (eww)- all got nothing on him.

#63 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4708 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yes. He is.

Power Chan = most underrated actor in tvb. And one of the best. Most of the leadings -Moses, Raymond and Kevin (eww)- all got nothing on him.

So true! Not sure how many people have seen Power's earlier works, but even back then (we're talking late 80s/early 90s), he was already one talented actor!

Well, even though Power didn't win the award, he gained the universal recognition of his peers and audiences, which to me is more important than any TVB award. I mean, look at all the fans he gained because of his great performance in TC -- if the 'numbers' tell us anything -- Power's latest post on his Facebook (which is a summary of his thoughts on his experience at the awards ceremony) garnered 40,000 Likes in less than a day (and this was as of a few days ago....it's probably gotten more than that by now). Sure, I would have liked to see him win, but even if he didn't, I'm still happy that he is finally getting the 'recognition' and mass support that has been long long overdue!

#64 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• AF supporter
  • 4993 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Posted Image

Hahaha!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image No words need! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

credit source as labeled

#65 xxMiya

xxMiya

NOT YET

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yes. He is.

I've always liked Power and I think he's a great actor, but I don't see him as a threat to Wayne. I'm not saying this as in "Power is not a threat to Wayne because Wayne is better at acting". Nope. Not what I mean.

Even if Power was nominated for Best Actor, he would not be a threat to Wayne because of TVB. Power was never pushed to the front nor does he stand a chance at winning in this TVB game. He's not a threat to Wayne because Wayne is the obvious TVB bias. Similarly, he would not be a threat to Moses, Kevin, Kenneth, Raymond, etc. because TVB simply won't let him win.

I was rooting for him to win Best Supporting this year (and he very well deserved it), but look what happened.

To be a threat, you have to have the chance of winning. He doesn't even have that so he's not really a threat to Wayne (or to anyone in the BA tier).

Edited by xxMiya, 22 December 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#66 xxyunnnn

xxyunnnn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm not actually happy with the results apart from a few the AOD awards results were much better and to a point more realistic.

Koo Ming wah was good but I though power chans acting had been better and more consistent...
I'm glad nancy got best supporting actress:)
I'm so happy Oscar and mandy got best improved cause they have end of.
Tavia deserved her best actress award and Wayne works hard for it but he had already won it twice and everyone bigged it up that raymond was gonna win and in the end he didn't like seriously his fan base is huge compared to Wayne though right? And how did Wayne beat Kenneth though I thought kenneth should of got it if raymond didn't. Wayne was ok in the confidant, did he win just cause it was the anniversary drama? I thought the confidant was ok parts of the story was pretty boring and draggy and tvb tried to make it fair with one vote per person yeah right they probably just said that but rigged all the votes cause no way could Wayne have got more like everyone liked raymond or Kenneth's characters in comparison to Wayne's.

And best drama omg how did when heaven burns actually get best drama just cause charmaine was in it or what? Like highs and lows didnt get in top 3? Like seriously like everyone liked the drama...bits were kinda a bit unrealistic but the story and everything was so much better than when heaven burns,even so how did on call didnt win them? It won at AOD and it can't of been most people in Malaysia preferred it to hk like really? I don't think so.

#67 cma

cma

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

i think the biggest surprise for me was 'best series' , i personally loved it, but the main topic of the series isnt something that we see often in HK series.

the winners did an great job in their respective series

#68 xxMiya

xxMiya

NOT YET

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

And best drama omg how did when heaven burns actually get best drama just cause charmaine was in it or what?

WHB didn't win just because of Charmaine. If you were around while WHB was airing, you'll see it received a lot of feedback. It's not everyone's favorite drama, but it stood out to the audience.

Like highs and lows didnt get in top 3? Like seriously like everyone liked the drama...bits were kinda a bit unrealistic but the story and everything was so much better than when heaven burns,even so how did on call didnt win them? It won at AOD and it can't of been most people in Malaysia preferred it to hk like really? I don't think so.

Not everyone liked HAL Posted Image Plus compared to the other dramas aired this year, it didn't have much hype. It's your opinion to think that "the story and everything was so much better than When Heaven Burns", but WHB definitely stood out more because it explored a new theme TVB had never done before.

#69 xxyunnnn

xxyunnnn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

WHB didn't win just because of Charmaine. If you were around while WHB was airing, you'll see it received a lot of feedback. It's not everyone's favorite drama, but it stood out to the audience.

Well obviously I was around when WHB was aired where else would I be. Yes it received a lot of feedback cause not many liked it and it had poor ratings...

Not everyone liked HAL Posted Image Plus compared to the other dramas aired this year, it didn't have much hype. It's your opinion to think that "the story and everything was so much better than When Heaven Burns", but WHB definitely stood out more because it explored a new theme TVB had never done before.

I think HAL had more hype than WHB though, but tbf on call was so much better and more people preferred it to WHB you can't deny that.

#70 xxMiya

xxMiya

NOT YET

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Well obviously I was around when WHB was aired where else would I be.

Well geez, I'm sorry I don't follow you around 24/7 to know you were around during that time Posted Image

Yes it received a lot of feedback cause not many liked it and it had poor ratings...

It had poor ratings, but that doesn't mean "not many liked it". Bottled Passion was airing at the same time as WHB and even though BP had higher ratings, WHB had more views online. After WHB's ending aired, it also received 100+ praises from the audience. So it actually is a drama that stood out to a lot of people.

I think HAL had more hype than WHB though, but tbf on call was so much better and more people preferred it to WHB you can't deny that.

Most of the HAL hype was for Kate, but the drama in general didn't have much hype. And about THC being "much better" than WHB... well, that's subjective. Not everyone liked THC, you know.

I watched THC and I watched HAL and I prefer those two to WHB, but I understand why WHB won. It was a new theme and stood out to the audience. In 10 or 20 years if you ask someone "Do you remember that really popular doctor drama from a long time ago?" they probably won't remember because TVB has produced medical dramas before. But if you ask "Do you remember that drama about a boy being eaten by his friends?" then maybe they will say yes.

THC might be more popular and "preferred", but WHB stood out in other places.

#71 xxyunnnn

xxyunnnn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Most of the HAL hype was for Kate, but the drama in general didn't have much hype. And about THC being "much better" than WHB... well, that's subjective. Not everyone liked THC, you know.

I watched THC and I watched HAL and I prefer those two to WHB, but I understand why WHB won. It was a new theme and stood out to the audience. In 10 or 20 years if you ask someone "Do you remember that really popular doctor drama from a long time ago?" they probably won't remember because TVB has produced medical dramas before. But if you ask "Do you remember that drama about a boy being eaten by his friends?" then maybe they will say yes.

THC might be more popular and "preferred", but WHB stood out in other places.

i know on call wasnt liked by everyone but more people liked it compared to whb and if on call was more preferred and popular why didnt that win then...

Edited by GMD3fan, 24 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#72 xxMiya

xxMiya

NOT YET

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

i know on call wasnt liked by everyone but more people liked it compared to whb and if on call was more preferred and popular why didnt that win then...

It was a new theme and stood out to the audience. In 10 or 20 years if you ask someone "Do you remember that really popular doctor drama from a long time ago?" they probably won't remember because TVB has produced medical dramas before. But if you ask "Do you remember that drama about a boy being eaten by his friends?" then maybe they will say yes.

Best drama doesn't necessarily have to be the more popular and preferred one Posted Image It's kind of like 2006 when La Femme Desperado won even though it was not the most popular or preferred. But people liked it for other reasons (and coincidentally LFD and WHB are both dramas that reflect on society).