AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

HOCC Denise Ho Comes Out: I Am Gay

hong kong denise ho

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36217 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

HOCC Denise Ho Comes Out: I Am Gay
Saturday November 10, 2012 Hong Kong
Source: Oriental Daily
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yesterday Denise Ho (Hocc) and Anthony Wong took part in the annual gay pride parade, Hong Kong Pride Parade 2012 along with 4,000 other people. Hocc's sexual orientation was officially made public at her participation of the parade. Hocc's parents, good friends Wyman Wong, Hilary Tsui, Edmond Leung's wife Karen and a large group of friends outside of the industry attended as well to support her. Before the parade started, Hocc was asked if she'll come out [to announce her sexual orientation]? She said: "We'll chat after this is over." Shortly after, the parade marched from Causeway Bay up to the Chater Garden in Central.

Hocc was dressed neutrally at the event and had a head full of sweat after the parade ended. After taking a break backstage, Hocc appeared on stage and performed her 'brokeback' classic Louis . Lawrence (勞斯萊斯). At one point, Hocc became emotional and tears came running down her face, she said: "Today, it is a very important day to me. After so many years of facing the media's questions and speculations, I don't think it is necessary to put a label on me or for me to explain."

[RTHK English News] -- There were calls to end work-place discrimination and for the legalisation of gay marriage. One organiser, Connie Chan, said there was also anger that lawmakers rejected a motion on Wednesday which called for a public consultation on new laws to protect the rights of sexual minorities. Police later put the number of participants at around 2,500.

Hocc expressed because of the public consultation, she believed there was a need for her to step forward, she said: "I still think there exists discrimination, prejudice and biased views. It is no longer a choice to remain silent. Every individual has so many apprehensions, I know I will lose some opportunities after saying this and there will be a lot of trouble. Actually, coming out should have been done several years ago. I just couldn't find the right time to do so. Today, in an environment with so much love, peace and toleration, I feel it is my duty and responsibility to stand up for love." Hocc then paused for a moment and took a deep breath before announcing: "I am proud to tell everyone here that I am gay." Everyone in the audience cheered and applauded in response. She has become the first Hong Kong female singer to admit that she is a lesbian. Anthony and Wyman went on stage to embrace her while singing along to "光明會". Then Hocc's good friend Joey Yung's famous song My Pride played.

Hocc got off the stage and embraced her parents. When asked if a heavy burden lifted off of her? She said: "I waited for this moment for a long time. First, I have thank my father and mother." When asked when she decided to come out? She said: "In the past few days. (How did you explain to your parents?) I know they will have unlimited support for whatever I do. Yesterday, I called my father and told him. He answered, just come out!" When asked if she first notified good friend Joey Yung? She said: "I did notify her, she said 'you do what you think is right'. (Did you tell her to come too?) No, this is very personal decision." As for the rumor that Joey went on a trip to Japan with boyfriend Wilfred Lau? Hocc coldly said: "I don't know." Hocc later expressed on Weibo, "Today I am very happy."

#2 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hardly a revelation. Sorry but its been long speculated about her sexual preferences! But I must say shes very brave to admit it, some just hide in the closet forever! Hope she'll find her perfect match soon. It doesn't affect her job, fans still love and support her and I still like her as a singer!

#3 Mittelschmerz

Mittelschmerz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Good for her to come out. That's freedom for her part. She will no longer have to dodge questions about her sexual preference.

Now let's wait and see when will Hebe Tian and Aaron Yan will come out with regards to their sexual preferences. Funny that it's only now that I discovered that there is an Aaron Yan-Hebe Tian shipping thread here at AF. I just find it quite ironic and humorous that there are actually some people who are shipping together the two most suspected closet king and queen. Not that it's a bad thing though. Just funny and ironic.

#4 agnes tan agnes

agnes tan agnes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

She is very brave to admit it, and I admired her for that.Posted Image

#5 xxMiya

xxMiya

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4753 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Good for her! I just watched the clip of her coming out and she made a very good speech too :D

#6 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Good for her to come out. That's freedom for her part. She will no longer have to dodge questions about her sexual preference.

Now let's wait and see when will Hebe Tian and Aaron Yan will come out with regards to their sexual preferences. Funny that it's only now that I discovered that there is an Aaron Yan-Hebe Tian shipping thread here at AF. I just find it quite ironic and humorous that there are actually some people who are shipping together the two most suspected closet king and queen. Not that it's a bad thing though. Just funny and ironic.

Now we wait for Wang Leehom, Tian Dingfeng, Zhou Chuang Xiong, Mike He, Joe Cheng, Show Luo, Wu Tsing Fong, Jeff Chang, Raine and Aaron Yang and Hebe Tian. I forgot Hins Cheung and his partner Kenny Kwan.

Edited by mrleelee, 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#7 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6932 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

She is brave enough to admit it

She isnt afraid of anything, she deserves the respect

#8 agnes tan agnes

agnes tan agnes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Now we wait for Wang Leehom, Tian Dingfeng, Zhou Chuang Xiong, Mike He, Joe Cheng, Show Luo, Wu Tsing Fong, Jeff Chang, Raine and Aaron Yang and Hebe Tian. I forgot Hins Cheung and his partner Kenny Kwan.

Cannot be Wang Leehom as he has many gf b4. . .r u sure

#9 kennethma.forever

kennethma.forever

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

I now have deep respect for Denise for her bravery to come out from the closet. Bravo. Posted Image

#10 JambaJuice

JambaJuice

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

You is strong
You is fearless
You is honest
You is brave
You is open
You is happy
You is free

#11 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

R U that naive? How many men and women had partners of the opposite sex before they realized they were gay. In the Chinese culture many are pestered to marry to carry on the family name,but they would rather be with their same sex companion. Also many idols perfer to stay in the closet and get a 'beard'. There are lots of idols in the Asia EBiz closet. Some are even married, with children. In Hollywood, many celebs raised families and are now married to or living with,or dating their gay partner.

#12 shawty_says

shawty_says

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Her sexual orientation was never really a secret, but respect to her for being brave enough to admit it, especially since the Chinese are still considered conservative.

#13 sweetcream

sweetcream

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

She needs credit for being the first person to admit it for sure. Its just so sad that it needs that much courage in the first place in HK to be able to come out. The attitude in HK is still very much discriminatory.

#14 PearledOrchid

PearledOrchid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

You forgot Edison Chen. His father is reportedly gay, and Edison's behavior with females reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. He was a popular guy with the ladies, who had a great fashion sense, and changed girlfriends like changing socks. Then suddenly in college, he came out and said he was gay and no one saw it coming.

#15 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Perhaps it's easier for lesbians - afterall having a whole bunch of gfs or being touchy with other girls, is a very normal social thing among girls.
But it looks far worse for a guy when he has zero female companions at all, esp past a certain age. And it's not like it's easy for males in public to be touching or caressing their male partner either.

So yes, as mr leelee has said = having tons of gfs is NO indication of anyone's sexual orientation.
And often if you observe gays with their supposed gfs .... you will realise the level of physical intimacy is NOT there in such 'for appearances only' relationships.
Or, that the person may also be bi.

In fact, I imagine many starlets would do personal favors. Or it's a mutual favor to cover their own orientation (win win coupling a lesbian with a male gay star). Or as a business gimmick (chance to gain more fame, media exposure, etc. And also as a 'working relationship' for artistes within the same management company..

You often hear stars romantically associated together for a brief while too, after supposedly having fallen in love while working on their movie/drama together.

Fans and viewers LOVE to buy into this package, and lap it all up when reel extends into real (myself included - no I am not delusional, but a realistic romantic Posted Image ). And again it's a win win for ratings and popularity of production. But realistically ... does this NECESSSARILY mean the stars involved are definitely straight? Or is it a promo-stun to market the movie-drama to a frenzy ... and also a kill 2 birds with one stone situation to affirm a gay star's straight orientation?

You forgot Edison Chen. His father is reportedly gay, and Edison's behavior with females reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. He was a popular guy with the ladies, who had a great fashion sense, and changed girlfriends like changing socks. Then suddenly in college, he came out and said he was gay and no one saw it coming.

So his incessant need for sex with as many females, is his attempt to weed it out of his system, and to prove something to himself? Posted Image He obviously has no trouble 'delivering the goods' either ... hence he doesn't seem to have any trouble getting many sexual partners or satisfying them.

Whether he is or not one day ... I tend more to veer to the thought that he is possibly 'bi'.

She needs credit for being the first person to admit it for sure. Its just so sad that it needs that much courage in the first place in HK to be able to come out. The attitude in HK is still very much discriminatory.

Leslie Cheung did come out of the closet. And imo (my fan biasedness aside) .... it was a big step then, and he earned a lot of respect from me. Bec it took way more guts back then since it was even more socially unacceptable, and people were less open-minded, less exposed, and even more 'sexual orientation' unaware.

Even before, it was a long-standing open secret among the showbiz crowd and most of his fans that he was gay. He didn't have to endorse it.

Coming out does have its advantages for the stars. They may lose some endorsements and opportunities, true.
On the other hand, they don't have to 'fake it' or pretend (which is probably a huge weight off their shoulders) and media will perhaps stop stalking them quite so much ... hoping to catch a chance at a candid 'revealing' shot. That "aha!" moment of confirmation (bec I am sure reporters know who is gay, within the entertainment crowd).

Thereafter, the stars and their managers will have to come up with imaginative excuses and stories to deny, refute etc etc
So exhausting overall. Posted Image

It's not just HK. Even in the West ... perhaps it's more accepted among the younger generations, but there are still certain (closet) taboos which mask acceptance.
It's yes, perhaps more politcially-corrrect to show acceptance or tolerance. But just read of the gay bashings or the red necks who attack gays in their areas .... and you will see acceptance really only goes so far.
Or if within a nice white-picket fence neighborhood and community ... some son suddenly decided to tell his parents that he has a closet gay partner. That nice gf his mom is so longing to bake cookies with, will never be his choice of marraige partner. Imagine the family unrest, and all hell breaking loose.

Now if only Cecil Chao, dad of that socialite lesbian can get his foggy '10,000 bedded women) head out of his butt and give his blessings to his daughter's relationship/marriage.

In HK = there are openly gay celeb relationships, and surprisingly among the older stars. Offhand, I can think of Ah So (蘇施黃) - celeb chef and her actress partner Elaine Jin (金燕玲) .... and singer/actress Susanna Kwan Qu-yeng and her female-companion partner Willy.

It's hard to really pinpoint that being gay is due solely to genes, or if the 2 womenn above have test-driven male partners and found them all wanting.
Elaine Jin has been married something like 3x and all turned out to be nightmares. Ah So apparently is one of the most considerate caring partners she's had.
Ditto for Susanna Kwan's (twice married) and Willy - I recall reading an article where she mentioned Willy takes even better care of her mother than Susanna herself.

Edited by nomad 822, 12 November 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#16 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

No!!! Not Mike He please, he is my dream guy from Taiwan:P not that I would have a chance anyways, but I can always dream hoho...

Actually for all we know then whoever can be gay or bi. The look don't need to mean anything. Some people are just really good on hiding their identity. Even if we want it or not then we are actually living in a discriminating world.

Edited by VLinh, 11 November 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#17 BlissfulRain

BlissfulRain

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

ROFL...as one of their former shippers all I can say is....it's a matter of opinion.

#18 rulan

rulan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

it's true we all knew but it's still isn't an easy thing to do. At least now we know Hocc stayed in the closet for Joey cause with hocc's personality she would have came out long ago. So for this to happen not so long after the so call breakup we can all make our own conclusions.

Full respect for hocc and I'm glad to be a fan <3

#19 HeTieShou

HeTieShou

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sorry but how do you know for sure that all of the above are gay/lesbian/bi??

#20 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3885 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

The Hong Kong singer comes clean about her sexual orientation at the Hong Kong Pride Parade

Posted Image
Thousands attended the annual Hong Kong Pride Parade, celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) culture over the weekend. Hong Kong singers Wyman Wong, Anthony Wong and Denise Ho also attended the "Dare to Love" event at the Pride Parade on Saturday.
Denise, dressed in a boyish outfit that was accessorised with shades and her usual short hair, was accompanied by her parents.
Raising a rainbow flag (representing LGBT pride), Denise declared onstage, "I have always wanted to say this, but I don't really have a chance to do so. Today, I proudly announce that I am homosexual!"
Denise's public announcement immediately received wide support from netizens and fans, with many regarding her as a "brave warrior".
Wyman posted a group photo he took with Denise on his micro-blog and commented: "Proud of you, my friend!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Source

#21 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

No!!! Not Mike He please, he is my dream guy from Taiwan:P not that I would have a chance anyways, but I can always dream hoho...

Actually for all we know then whoever can be gay or bi. The look don't need to mean anything. Some people are just really good on hiding their identity. Even if we want it or not then we are actually living in a discriminating world.

I know how you feel VLinh as I quite like Mike He too. So filial and handsome,lol. China is not as accepting as the West about homosexuality. That is why the gays and BIs stay in the closet. A lot of times when they date the opposite sex, it is protect, their relatives, reputations and (careers) livelihood. Like I said, Asia. Has a long way to go about acception gays in the society.

#22 kennethma.forever

kennethma.forever

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

R U that naive? How many men and women had partners of the opposite sex before they realized they were gay. In the Chinese culture many are pestered to marry to carry on the family name,but they would rather be with their same sex companion. Also many idols perfer to stay in the closet and get a 'beard'. There are lots of idols in the Asia EBiz closet. Some are even married, with children. In Hollywood, many celebs raised families and are now married to or living with,or dating their gay partner.

yeah true, there are certain people who realized later in life that they're not straight etc. But you've no concrete evidence to support your claim that they're gay/lesbian. do you hide under their beds or something?

#23 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

yeah true, there are certain people who realized later in life that they're not straight etc. But you've no concrete evidence to support your claim that they're gay/lesbian. do you hide under their beds or something?

Joe Simpson, Wanda Sykes, Cynthia Nixion, all married and raised familis. Years ago when I told others they were gay, they laughed. They are not laughing now. Years ago, I told people Anderson Cooper,Lance Bass,TR Knight, Denise Ho, and Anthony Wong were gay, years before they came out. I like all these people, but I choose not to live in denial because I like them. I guess I worship them so much that I confess......I hide under their beds, LOL, LOL!!

#24 arevl

arevl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Joe Simpson, Wanda Sykes, Cynthia Nixion, all married and raised familis. Years ago when I told others they were gay, they laughed. They are not laughing now. Years ago, I told people Anderson Cooper,Lance Bass,TR Knight, Denise Ho, and Anthony Wong were gay, years before they came out. I like all these people, but I choose not to live in denial because I like them. I guess I worship them so much that I confess......I hide under their beds, LOL, LOL!!

Hindsight is always 20/20... I don't think it's right to state the names of those people and label them gays... Wang Leehom, Tian Dingfeng, Zhou Chuang Xiong, Mike He, Joe Cheng, Show Luo, Wu Tsing Fong, Jeff Chang, Raine and Aaron Yang and Hebe Tian. I forgot Hins Cheung and his partner Kenny Kwan.

That's a whole lot of people you that you are labelling. But of course if these people do come out, I guess I own you a beer. Until then, it's better to keep your thoughts to yourself.

#25 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20... I don't think it's right to state the names of those people and label them gays... Wang Leehom, Tian Dingfeng, Zhou Chuang Xiong, Mike He, Joe Cheng, Show Luo, Wu Tsing Fong, Jeff Chang, Raine and Aaron Yang and Hebe Tian. I forgot Hins Cheung and his partner Kenny Kwan.

That's a whole lot of people you that you are labelling. But of course if these people do come out, I guess I own you a beer. Until then, it's better to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Over the years, many members have stated names of celebs who they. Thought were gay, or who ARE. Indeed gay. Did You go after them, why single me out. You can't believe so many sacred idols can be gay"??. Ooohhh. That only happens in Hollywood. I do not drink beer, and you should quit telling me what I can and cannot write. Keep that to YOURSELF.,lol.lol. PEACE OUT.

Edited by mrleelee, 18 November 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#26 jolieann

jolieann

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Anthony Wong isnt gay. He's been married for many years already, just that his wife dont like showbiz and stays away from it.

#27 mrleelee

mrleelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Anthony Wong isnt gay. He's been married for many years already, just that his wife dont like showbiz and stays away from it.

Are you so uninformed about Anthony's coming out, are You so in denia???!a Read this.....At bthe end of his concert tour, at the Hong Kong Coliseum, Cantonese singerthony Wong Yiu Ming told his thousands of fan,"I am gay, I am homosexual. G.A.Y". This was big news seven months ago.

Edited by mrleelee, 13 November 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#28 jolieann

jolieann

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Are you so uninformed about Anthony's coming out, are You so in denia???!a Read this.....At bthe end of his concert tour, at the Hong Kong Coliseum, Cantonese singerthony Wong Yiu Ming told his thousands of fan,"I am gay, I am homosexual. G.A.Y". This was big news seven months ago.

LOL, wrong Anthoy Wong. I thought you were referring to the actor Anthony Wong.

#29 cassapella

cassapella

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Why are people keep using the term "preference?" It's not a choice. You're born the way you are. Nobody chooses to be gay in this homophobic society.