9 replies to this topic

#1 optiontips.in

optiontips.in

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

have complained a lot about the Super Mario Bros. series over the forum a fair amount. I feel there's not enough left of the series to be interesting.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 was probably the last good and entertaining Mario experience for me. Not only was the platforming fun, but it was all packaged together with an amazing soundtrack, impressive visuals and had a fantastic feel to it. It was something we've never seen before.
I guess the fact it was so new and so nicely presented it's why Super Mario Galaxy 2 felt so unenjoyable for me. Galaxy 2's level were almost complete redos of level designs from Galaxy 1, soundtrack barely changed and every level was an excuse to abuse a power up, rather than enjoying the platforming. Throughout the entirety of Galaxy 2 I was constantly thinking that Galaxy 1 was better. Not anything in Galaxy 2 shaped up to it. It felt less like a sequal, but more like a expansion pack, or even a patch of the first game how little was added.

New Super Mario Bros on the DS was also a really good platforming experience. It felt almost exactly like the classic Mario's on the NES/SNES. The fact that it was designed to be such a nice throwback to the originals was great. But New Super Mario Bros. Wii tried to do the exact same and, exactly like Galaxy 2, failed to even slightly rekindle the same experience as the previous installment. Super Mario 3D Land was an attempt to try something new, but felt like Galaxy 2 and Mario Bros. Wii glued together. I've haven't even bothered with New Super Mario Bros. 2 and probably won't for a long time. Just looking at the screenshots made me look away from it.

I'm not saying the Mario games are bad. They still have a quality to them, but it feels like the same quality as before to me. What's even more depressing is Mario Galaxy 1 was 2007 and I've yet to play a Mario game that I've even slightly enjoyed since then. If this keeps up, there's no power up Nintendo can conjure up that will impress me.

But I could just be rambling here. What do you think? Do you think Mario has become stale or do you still find his recent games fun?

Edited by Anime_X, 08 September 2012 - 04:08 PM.
Changed title and font colour, its too hard to read!

#2 Adoreexb

Adoreexb

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

nothing will ever beat the original mario on NES. They added new powerups but i always love the basic one's. Mario is awesome!

#3 cathyrobers

cathyrobers

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

my favourite childhood game <3

#4 Trambeline

Trambeline

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I remembered playing this video game for the first time, I could never get pass level 1 no matter how many times I try; whereas my brother plays it like a pro...and I just keep watching him play instead.

#5 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Super Mario Bros. was the very first game I played apart from Duck Hunt ... and I've only played Super Mario Bros. 2, 3, Super
Mario World, The Lost Levels (both the Japanese one on Famicom ... I had the Japanese one long time ago, with a converter. It was also on another one ... I think it was called Super Mario Collection on Super NES) and the original Super Mario Bros.

I haven't played any since then like on N64 and after ... just old school

#6 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I never liked Mario, prefered Sonic instead (you can probably guess from my avatar pic)! Well, I loved Mario Kart on SNES, best game ever for 2 player mode.....

Edited by Anime_X, 24 January 2013 - 01:46 AM.

#7 Ait Wang

Ait Wang

xoxo Mr Wang

• Forum Crew
  • 2262 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

my favourite childhood game <3

Likewise, just played level 1 and 2. I like more Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Commandos.

#8 linksta

linksta

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

I think the new ones aren't as good .. probably since they're not as memorable :(
I loved the old ones, up until super smash bros, all the ones before that include SSB were awesome .. then they just didn't appeal anymore ..
Maybe Mario 3D land? It's the only game I would consider as even close to the old ones in terms of fun ..

#9 BMPP

BMPP

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

got my pikachu 3DS, so starting mario again dodododo

#10 Mordor

Mordor

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I feel like I'm the only person who completely hates Mario. I've never enjoyed the games, not even when I had NES.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: super, mario, nintendo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users