AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

What are you doing after college with bachelors degree?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 aznj50

aznj50

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'm jobless with huge debt. haha!

For the kids considering business as major. Don't do it.

Consider going to trade school where there are jobs.

-Programming
-Engineering (bio, electrical, chem)
-Being in health profession (doctor, pharmacists)

Everything else all leads to sales jobs (cold call or direct sales ie cars and cell phones)

or waiter

or even worse work in retail.

Yeah that's my experience after college. Been not having a real job for 2 years.

My friends that have real jobs (programmer, doctor, and pharmacists). The rest end up in sales with bs, masters degree. In reality, if I knew this was going to happen I would of went to CC and just stuck with selling cars or something like that.

My friends are getting their masters for biology(failed college med students, no job)

If your asian learn to write korean, jap, and chinese(mandarin). Even for the american borns. The older generation who is your boss wants you to do that to even consider hiring you.

I'm 24 and bitter living in california. Go fig.

I want to hear your stories. I think if your not in california i think you'll do much better.

Edited by aznj50, 09 June 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#2 Coralie

Coralie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Try a temp job agency. They will get you through the door for corporate jobs. Even as temps, it'll look nice on your resume.

Edited by MonCheri, 10 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#3 BlackSky

BlackSky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

I've just graduated too, but I'm in the UK and not a business graduate. The job market here is fierce too and like you have said most people are getting jobs in retail because a job is better than no job. It all depends on who you know and how many connections you have.

Like the person above has mentioned, look into temping or go to recruitment agencies who will be able to help you find a good job or something to get your foot in the door towards your desired career.

While Im struggling to find a job in my field I was approached by the NHS to train as a Radiographer, Im tempted but then the thought of another 3 years of training and study makes me want to scream.

I've noticed another trend here, which is alot of people are applying to be english teachers abroad. If you find a good enough agency you can make pretty decent money. I am tempted more by this because most agenecies only require that you be a graduate and have a competent knowledge of english.

Edited by BlackSky, 27 June 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#4 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6214 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

going to grad next year and somehow the only stable jobs in the market is still anything related to business. IT/engineering jobs are a no go because the IT industry is flooded with foreign professionals and most companies would rather hire them or outsource lol and that basically can apply to all the possible industries here. they want cheap, good and fast. my last temp job pay was so pathetic... and no i don't live in Cali. I'm somewhere in one of the SEA countries...

#5 dwaynejohnsonfan

dwaynejohnsonfan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Damn, sorry to hear about your situation, man.
Here in Europe it's not any better...
No one will hire workers older than 20, they want young, inexperienced kids, with no education to make them work like slaves, then toss them. Repeat with the new blood...
After my degree, I've worked temp jobs, nothing steady though. The situation was bad, but now it's worse, all big industries are laying off ppl by the thousand.

DwayneJohnsonFan

#6 Rainy2Day

Rainy2Day

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

I think it really depends on how you approach college. If you just party and do the bare minimum to get by then you probably will struggle to find a decent salary job (although a relatively high college gpa doesn't necessarily guarantee you a job), however, if you are more aggressive & active in networking/interning while in college you would probably be fine. At least that's what I observe from my friends who majored in Accounting, Finance, and IT. They all were hired the instant they graduated because they were very proactive in their efforts. Although, I wouldn't say that they really had the full "college experience" but I guess they did what they had to do to invest in their future. Just a heads up, I don't think going to grad school for IT going to effectively help you achieve anything besides putting you into more debt. A bachelors is really all you need just make sure you get the proper certifications (Vmware, Cisco, CCent, CCNA, etc.).

Edited by Rainy2Day, 27 June 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#7 Guest_LovelyLonghair_*

Guest_LovelyLonghair_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

I go to work and by a cabin and tons of land to live, lol... I also can do something else than my degree says, I am not so picky for the work. There is only some jbs I dont do. As long as they pay fair, I can work for several fields...

#8 Yevgeniya

Yevgeniya

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

I know a lot of my elementary to JHS classmates majored in the business. Only like 4 or 5 has a "decent" job. I also know a lot of them went for pharmacy when we were still in HS, because they hear it's "good pay for counting pills", well 4-5yrs later after they graduate from pharmacy school, guess what- there are TOO many pharmacists now!! Actually I think nurses are pretty high on demand at the moment...
The engineering jobs are more versatile, I'm a chemical engineer major, and with a bachelor you can start finding jobs and they pay pretty good too!
Just a warning for those who majors in chemistry or physics wanting to be either a chemist or physicist, those professions are heavily weighted around research, research, and more research! So unless you have that devotion/passion....they're more theoretical and engineers are more hands-on. Or you can also be a professor with a Ph.D. if you like teaching.
Anyways, whatever major you are, you still need some work experience in your related field prior to graduation. That's how you can land jobs easily, or talk to your undergrad. adviser, they'll let you know on internship opportunities and stuff and recommend you to people, and also there are job fairs that you can also attend, to help make the search easier when you are in college.

#9 cuti_pie75

cuti_pie75

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

quite lucky I think myself was when graduated right out of bachelor degree. However, i think i planned pretty well during the 4 years of studies. Every year I'd made sure that I volunteer and stays with it for at least 2 years to show some consistency. During the 2nd yr, I got myself a job at the pharmacy as a pharmacy tech (it was pretty low paying even below the average), but stucked with it and pull it through till the last yr of studies (ie, 4th year). Never did i know that the hard work did paid off and got myself a job in pharma right after graduation.

the only thing that I can really think I really did well...I planned and I discussed with everyone (of different levels) whenever I could and get as much advice (whether good or bad) and learned how to be flexible.

#10 FlyChiGuy

FlyChiGuy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

I just graduated with a Biology degree and plan on going to grad school next year if I can get my lazy butt off and take the GRE and all that other good stuff required for grad school lol. Funny because one of my biology professors said in a seminar that being a scientist isn't about making lots of money and if that's your plan than you are better off being a Business major lol!

#11 deadmeat

deadmeat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I took 2 yrs off and travel the world. Maxed out 4 credit card and a big ass loan from my brothers. They were pissed but i payed them back with interest

#12 lionheart

lionheart

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

after i finish my college i'm gonna manage art school Posted Image

#13 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

I am a teacher, and to be honest I am still studying, taking maybe some class and build up my bachelor degree :D

#14 cuddlefish177

cuddlefish177

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

I majored in economics and found a temp to perm job in finance about 6 months after graduating with my bachelors. That was very short lived because I realized I wanted to pursue a career in pulishing instead, so I changed industries almost immediately after my first job.

Although my current job is not directly related to my degree, even if I could travel back in time and redo college, I would probably still study economics. I picked my major because I loved it, not because I thought it would make me money after college. I think passion still counts for something, and although publishing is not as lucrative as finance, I think chasing after something I am more passionate about has been one of the best decisions of my life.

#15 RubyPie

RubyPie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm back in school taking a program that will get me a job to pay off my loans. I would really like to travel afterwards, there are soo many places I want to visit.

Edited by RubyPie, 27 September 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#16 Shen Li

Shen Li

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Yes, liberal arts degrees are pretty useless. Get a profession or get a journeyman trade. They are both the way to go.

#17 May.T

May.T

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

I have no idea!!!!

When I went into Biology/Lifescience/Molecular Biology& Genetics or WHATEVER the else you call this, the career counsellors told me "you have so many job options after you graduate! You can do anything!" Wow, I feel like I got lied to big time. I can't see myself doing anything related to my degree and I doubt anyone will hire a Biology graduate (Masters is what people want now). First year I was in Life Science and I decided to specialize into Molecular Biology & Genetics second year. I stayed in the program until the end of third year until I realized this was only going to take me into research. After 2 gruesome years of writing lab reports, I realized that research is the thing I hate doing the most in my life. I will never do research as my life's job. So.... I'm half way through 4th year and I as am lost as a lost puppy as to what my future looks like after I graduate. I think I will join the cohort of unemployed, massive debt carrying new graduates. What and exciting title.

I think what I really need to do is take a year off and find what I want to do for the rest of my life. I need to find a career that will truly make me happy.

#18 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'm jobless with huge debt. haha!

What are you good at and what have you learnt from the last 4 years of undergrad?

Edited by Ait Wang, 02 January 2013 - 06:58 AM.
No need to quote the whole member's post.

#19 packofllamas

packofllamas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have no idea!!!!

When I went into Biology/Lifescience/Molecular Biology& Genetics or WHATEVER the else you call this, the career counsellors told me "you have so many job options after you graduate! You can do anything!" Wow, I feel like I got lied to big time. I can't see myself doing anything related to my degree and I doubt anyone will hire a Biology graduate (Masters is what people want now). First year I was in Life Science and I decided to specialize into Molecular Biology & Genetics second year. I stayed in the program until the end of third year until I realized this was only going to take me into research. After 2 gruesome years of writing lab reports, I realized that research is the thing I hate doing the most in my life. I will never do research as my life's job. So.... I'm half way through 4th year and I as am lost as a lost puppy as to what my future looks like after I graduate. I think I will join the cohort of unemployed, massive debt carrying new graduates. What and exciting title.

I think what I really need to do is take a year off and find what I want to do for the rest of my life. I need to find a career that will truly make me happy.

Just curious, but do you hate research because of lab reports, or do you hate research because you were in a research lab as research assistant (not lab bench monkey)? Perhaps look into consulting? In my opinion, research DOES suck, but the experience between a lab in bio classroom is distinctively & very different from the experience as a research assistant/research investigator. A person who works in a real research lab does not write lab reports all day......and getting the opportunity to write a publication/paper is actually really good. But anyways, just to share my experience w/research:

I used to work in a research lab for 3 years (during university....) as an independent student researcher in a stem cell lab.....I hated it because the lab I worked in was understaffed and it killed my social life (i worked ~20+ hours/week) as I was forced to design, run, analyze, and submit weekly reports on my experiments to my boss/PI who would often either (a) scrap it because he decided that he wanted to change protocols & procedures (B) claim it wasn't enough results or © could not proceed with the next step because one or more collaborators failed to get back to us in time. It was incredibly stressful when I had to get experiments done on time with optimal results and with no lab techs or other researchers to help me out. Factor in the time it took to write the publication paper, and yeah that sucked. At least I left the lab on good terms, a reliable connection, a strong letter of recommendation, and a paper publication. :D

Now to address the issue at large about post-bachelor's life, I think the people who majored in business and build good connections in college through activities involvement, student government, connections, internships, etc are the business students who will land some job. That is my biased sample I've seen.....most business students I know from my university (top 25 US....well does it really matter?) will land some job (maybe not high $$ yet) upon graduation. The ONLY students who are floundering are those who had like a GPA < 3.0, partied all the time & did nothing else, and/or did not build any lasting connections. Of course I realize that the job market sucks right now so maybe I just know only the business students who are actively trying to find a job. Like i said....biased sample.

#20 muta

muta

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm a software programmer. It's boring work but pays pretty well.

#21 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6214 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

i dont think there's anything much to do besides looking to find a full time job...

#22 kiryu_k

kiryu_k

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

America is going to be energy self-sufficient in the next 20 years, which means there'll be lots of chemical engineering jobs sprouting up in the coming years.

I won't expect the pay to be great since oil price will decline continually because every western nation are rushing to monetize their natural resources to pay off their massive debts. Demand side isn't great either due to global economic slow down, china and brazil alone won't be enough support the oil prices

If people get into the oil industry now, they should expect a stable career, and probably make it into management position before the market is flooded with talents again

I myself currently works in finance, got into the industry during the bull market a few years back. I like what I do as it's very challenging, plus the people you meet in this field are great, people are typically affluent and very sociable very out going, I met most of my good friends through work connections. As with any corporate jobs , we take loads of shxt, lots of politics and the only relieve is get drunk and vent about work all the time. There were a lot of lay offs in the past few years as blood shed all over wall street, back in the days our pay never catch up to our expenses, a "vice president" in a top tier bank makes around 150k ~ 300k in basic salary, most people manage to not have any savings because of luxury apartments, cars, $300 dinner, shopping and frequent travel. I have learnt to scale back my spending since 2009 , bought most my clothes from uniqlo and told gf not to expect much from me, all I want is horde cash to save my own ass.

#23 packofllamas

packofllamas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hmm speaking of which, I am struggling to think how I can keep my social life alive when I graduate....I wish/regret that I missed a lot of social opportunities that college provides. Such as putting a sh*t ton of single and young people together in a setting away from home.

Any suggestions? Besides obvious ones like "connect back to your HS friends" and crap like that.