AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Will Asian guys have a better image?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 michl

michl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:58 AM

In the previous issue of Foreign Affairs review, there was an article by a Harvard professor and Nobel prize winner which predicted that China would soon have a 123 trillion dollars economy, three times bigger than the American economy.

Given that Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan are already rich industrialized countries, and that the whole of China will soon become a rich industrialized country, it would appear that together, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China would have more than half of the economic wealth of the entire world.

We, the Asians ( Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese ) will soon control the wealth of the planet, and we will control all the biggest banks and the biggest corporations in the world.

Will we also be in control of the mass media, the television and the movie- making industry around the world?

Will Asians be able to challenge the white English speaking media and the Hollywood movie industry in order to project a new, positive, strong, confident view of the Asians around the world?

Will white girls start to look up to Asian guys and will white girls dream of dating strong handsome Asian guys?

Will Asian girls stop dreaming about dating white boyfriends, and will Asian girls prefer to date strong handsome Asian guys?

Edited by michl, 30 May 2010 - 07:56 AM.

#2 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Will white girls start to look up to Asian guys and will white girls dream of dating strong handsome Asian guys?
Will Asian girls stop dreaming about dating white boyfriends, and will Asian girls prefer to date strong handsome Asian guys?

Watch the next episode to find out!

Okay for some reason the way those questions are worded i couldn't stop laughing.
As for the answer: Girls ( of any race ) most likely dream about dating strong handsome guys ( of any race ).

#3 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

Unfortunately strong handsome Asian guys like gorgeous girls just like strong handsome white guys.

The average Asian guys is not as tall and as masculine looking as the average non-Asian guy.

That said, I observe Asian men are growing in desirability b/c they have shown themselves to have good values, smart, and level-headed.

#4 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

The average Asian guys is not as tall and as masculine looking as the average non-Asian guy.

Why do guys strive for being masculine? Is that suppose to be the basis for being a guy? Anything else would not be considered so?

#5 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

note I said masculin "looking". Asian men are not less masculine, just less masculin "looking".

#6 bachl

bachl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

what sassyviet mean, we the asian type had less hair compare to the other race in the facial, maybe by her thinking that having more hair is more masculine.

#7 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Welllllll when China becomes the new global superpower (I'd say 90% of chance of doing so, 10% chance of not doing so) and the rest of East Asia rises to ascendance....

Perhaps xD

#8 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

bachl wrote

"what sassyviet mean, we the asian type had less hair compare to the other race in the facial, maybe by her thinking that having more hair is more masculine"

You completely missed the boat on this one. I think the hairless chests of male swimmers and hairless legs of bicyclists don't take away one bit from their masculinity.

Be proud my hairless Asian friend.

michl wrote:

"We, the Asians ( Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese ) will soon control the wealth of the planet, and we will control all the biggest banks and the biggest corporations in the world."

Don't forget the Singaporian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai, Burmese, Laotian, Cambodian, Tibetan, Mogolian...

Somehow I have the feeling michl and bachl are the same person based on the tones of the posts.

#9 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

note I said masculin "looking". Asian men are not less masculine, just less masculin "looking".

That is the same thing. Masculinity can be qualities as well as characteristics.

#10 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

men who possess qualities (attributed to masculinity) of a man such chivalry, courage, and dependability don't always look like the big protector type. That's why in the movies, short male actors in hero roles have to be made to appear taller and bigger. I look at masculinity not only as one package but rather personality traits. There are ruggedly handsome men who are not masculine and there are less physically endowed who possess the qualities of a (traditional) man. Actually when you look at it this way, Asian men certainly are not lacking in masculinity although they (as a group) don't always have the imposing physical stature of other races.

#11 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

men who possess qualities (attributed to masculinity) of a man such chivalry, courage, and dependability don't always look like the big protector type. That's why in the movies, short male actors in hero roles have to be made to appear taller and bigger. I look at masculinity not only as one package but rather personality traits. There are ruggedly handsome men who are not masculine and there are less physically endowed who possess the qualities of a (traditional) man. Actually when you look at it this way, Asian men certainly are not lacking in masculinity although they (as a group) don't always have the imposing physical stature of other races.

Sigh, you still dun get it... just nevermind...

Edited by SomeAsianDude, 26 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#12 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

someasiandude,

Just b/c I don't agree with you didn't mean I didn't get it. You're the one that didn't get it.

#13 Tokyokirei

Tokyokirei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

It's possible for Asian men to gain more favoritism with non-Asian women if more of the media portrays Asian men as heroic, main characters or if more non-Asian women watch Asian entertainment (movies, TV shows, music videos, etc...)

I'm an Asian female but I've always had a preference for Asian men for as long as I can remember. I believe ever since I was 5 years old, LOL. That could be because while I was growing up, my family had always rented out Chinese dramas (from Hong Kong) and from those dramas, I started developing crushes on the actors who were attractive, young men in their twenties. There was one particular Chinese actor who was my absolute favorite since he was my first crush ever since I was only 5 at the time. Later on, by the time I reached my preteen years, my family slowly switched over from Chinese dramas to Japanese movies and dramas...and as a result, I developed crushes on Japanese actors as well. When I hit my teenage years, my family started watching Korean movies and likewise, I found some of the Korean men in those movies attractive.

Yeah, you could say they're just actors and actors don't necessarily reflect normal people in real life. But the thing is, since I grew up on a lot of Asian media, it impacted a lot on what I perceived as attractive, which in turn, impacted (or at least, partially impacted) my preference for men in real life. I said "partially" because I'm not sure what percentage of my preference for Asian men is due to how much Asian entertainment I watched while growing up, what percentage is due to the admiration and respect for the Asian male relatives that I have, and what percentage is due to my personal taste in men that I was simply born with. Nevertheless, watching a lot of Asian entertainment probably did contribute to it, at least.

In short, I think the media can be very powerful. It is certainly possible for Asian men to get noticed more by women, depending on whether Asian entertainment would become more popular worldwide and/or depending on if the current entertainment industry giant (Hollywood) would become more open to portraying Asian men on par with how it portrays white and black men.

#14 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

someasiandude,

Just b/c I don't agree with you didn't mean I didn't get it. You're the one that didn't get it.

You dun even know what Im asking you in the first place so you cant really agree or disagree with me anyway and seeing how your pretty dimwitted considering what you have written in other threads, I could care less about getting anything you write.

#15 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's possible for Asian men to gain more favoritism with non-Asian women if more of the media portrays Asian men as heroic, main characters or if more non-Asian women watch Asian entertainment (movies, TV shows, music videos, etc...)

I'm an Asian female but I've always had a preference for Asian men for as long as I can remember. I believe ever since I was 5 years old, LOL. That could be because while I was growing up, my family had always rented out Chinese dramas (from Hong Kong) and from those dramas, I started developing crushes on the actors who were attractive, young men in their twenties. There was one particular Chinese actor who was my absolute favorite since he was my first crush ever since I was only 5 at the time. Later on, by the time I reached my preteen years, my family slowly switched over from Chinese dramas to Japanese movies and dramas...and as a result, I developed crushes on Japanese actors as well. When I hit my teenage years, my family started watching Korean movies and likewise, I found some of the Korean men in those movies attractive.

Yeah, you could say they're just actors and actors don't necessarily reflect normal people in real life. But the thing is, since I grew up on a lot of Asian media, it impacted a lot on what I perceived as attractive, which in turn, impacted (or at least, partially impacted) my preference for men in real life. I said "partially" because I'm not sure what percentage of my preference for Asian men is due to how much Asian entertainment I watched while growing up, what percentage is due to the admiration and respect for the Asian male relatives that I have, and what percentage is due to my personal taste in men that I was simply born with. Nevertheless, watching a lot of Asian entertainment probably did contribute to it, at least.

In short, I think the media can be very powerful. It is certainly possible for Asian men to get noticed more by women, depending on whether Asian entertainment would become more popular worldwide and/or depending on if the current entertainment industry giant (Hollywood) would become more open to portraying Asian men on par with how it portrays white and black men.

If we must generalize, majority of women prefer their own races of men.....I think.

And spreading culture is important especially worldwide if you want to improve/spread your image. And yes media is crucial.

So yes I agree with you =)

#16 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I cannot speak for all whites... But white girls rarely look up to boys of any race... Looking up is something what people should not do or want from anyone.

Is this not old thinking anyway? There is so much interracial rls with whites and asians.. I have had asian crushes too... It is nice to be asian but when you go out, be just guys, not asian guys if being asian guy bothers you when you meet girls.

#17 The Watcher

The Watcher

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

If we must generalize, majority of women prefer their own races of men.....I think.

I think that is largely dependent upon what type of environment that the person is raised. in many countries interracial relationships are nothing exceptional while in others it makes people weep pray to save the future generations. Sometimes you might find widely divergent attitudes in different parts of a single country.

Edited by The Watcher, 29 January 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#18 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Any race can have a better image, its up to them to do something about it and make it a reality!Posted Image

#19 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

someasiandude wrote:

"You dun even know what Im asking you in the first place so you cant really agree or disagree with me anyway and seeing how your pretty dimwitted considering what you have written in other threads, I could care less about getting anything you write."

dim-witted...haha you dun know what your talking about :O Is this some kind of cool talk DUDE?

name calling=ad hominem. The weakest kind of argument there is. Now who's the dim-wit?

#20 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

name calling=ad hominem. The weakest kind of argument there is. Now who's the dim-wit?

You are, since you dun even deserve an argument from me. Hence the ad hominem.

#21 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Lessee...calls himself a dude, unable to construct a good argument and then insulted the person's intellet b/c they disagreed with him. Looks like overcompensation to me.

Very masculine qualities. Yep, girls, don't let this one get away.

#22 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Lessee...calls himself a dude, unable to construct a good argument and then insulted the person's intellet b/c they disagreed with him. Looks like overcompensation to me.

Very masculine qualities. Yep, girls, don't let this one get away.

Yeah, sure. Tell me, what are you even disagreeing with, hmm?

#23 The Watcher

The Watcher

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Any race can have a better image, its up to them to do something about it and make it a realityPosted Image!

That is patently and demontratably false. These are examples of Asian images in America for most of the 20th century.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These images had nothing to do with reality and everything to do with Hollywood's idea of how things were. The sad thing is that it was/is a vicious circle: the caricatures spawn stereotypes which in turn form the basis for new caricatures, and so on and so on and so on.

In some ways Hollywood has changed: jews, blacks and latinos have made noticeable changes in how they are portrayed. But you will rarely see an Asian male lead that does not do karate/kung fu. You will not see a non-nerdy Indian male lead (if you see one at all). Native Americans are still noticeably absent. Indians, Asians, Native American males are "magically" excluded from complex, sensitive or romantic roles.

Edited by The Watcher, 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#24 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I've seen Asian commercials where white people where portrayed with abnormally large noses.
Everyone does the stereotyping thing..

#25 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

I've seen Asian commercials where white people where portrayed with abnormally large noses.
Everyone does the stereotyping thing..

Rofl how? never seen that

#26 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

#27 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

http://youtu.be/yEzKX5CnWKU

Not taking that seriously ..lol

#28 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, sure. Tell me, what are you even disagreeing with, hmm?

some people think they're cool by calling themselves "cool" urban names and type in chat language. They forget the coolest quality is being nice. Such a petty little man you must be.

#29 Arnold Schwarzenasian

Arnold Schwarzenasian

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

We as a group will have to work hard to better ourselves, although some may try and hold us down if we really dedicate ourselves we will overcome our oppression.

It is not exactly fair to compare Asian males to White males in terms of masculinity, when the type of masculinity often talked about is a product of white supremacy, euro-centrism and the Western white male run advertising industry.

The perception of our group may not be as positive as it could be but in time... change is generational.

It is possible that our grandchuldren will have Asian privilege. Suck on that YT.

#30 UnstoppableElmo

UnstoppableElmo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hollywood is bending over for China. So if this is about entertainment image then yes, changes have already begun. For the moment, it is more political. Ex. they changed Red Dawn's enemy from Chinese to North Korea. Although this is just the tip of the ice berg. Hollywood is salivating for that Chinese market and China is making them work for it (joint productions and editing).

Image has always been a manufactured thing, not a reality based thing. For example blacks are portrayed as tough and violent, but in reality no black countries are of any consequence militarily and it is in Asia that the US has had enormous trouble. Another example, Asians are stereotyped as nerdy and not good at sports, except the Olympic medal rankings says otherwise. Manufactured image is easy to change. There are already numerous movie changes (mostly in regards to China) that have been to their favour. Reality is what is difficult to change. Changes in favour for Asian image in Hollywood is already starting, let me know when an African country becomes a major power.

#31 musukwasu

musukwasu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Humans who are understanding forgiving and forgetting will always have a good relationship with everyone ... and for them I feel they will have a successful marriage ...

#32 eIaina

eIaina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Asian banks are far from becoming bigger than Western banks. Yes, there is the Euro crisis, but the biggest banks still remain by and large the most influential and better connected.

#33 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Asian banks are far from becoming bigger than Western banks. Yes, there is the Euro crisis, but the biggest banks still remain by and large the most influential and better connected.

Banks are by in large losing the powers it once held in global financing. Look at crowd funding as an example. With the internet, people are drawn closer to together more than ever. People can access capital from each other which was how merchant banking got started. I agree that commercial banks will continue to have their use in the market, but investment banking (ie: corporate finance) is dying. Look at the fees they collect versus trading, and look at the lay offs that are still striking into every IBD. Trading is also a dying job. With computers doing all the trade matching, orders from a clients desk can be sent off to one central server for matching, all without a single human being to physically handle the trade.

I think we went off topic again. But boy are we having a good chat about this!

Back on topic, you are what you eat. If all you're eating are vegetables and white meat, you're not going to bulk up. Exercise, red meat and milk are the key ingredients to growing big. Screw Hollywood. You are the ultimate person that creates your image. If you eat, exercise and study well, nobody will ever think you're a ching chang chong coolie rice boy.

But if you insist on not exercising, not studying and eating rice and vegetables, then even if Hollywood made you look like Hulk, everybody will still look at you like you're a slack jawed hill billy.

Edited by teddyc, 31 May 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#34 eIaina

eIaina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

I cannot see your point. How is the industry dying? It has shrunk drastically since the crisis, but that gives the six biggest investment banks even more dominance in capital markets than they ever had before, occupying almost half of the industry's revenue to date (To my knowledge, they have been gaining 1% market share every year). It goes without saying then, the bigger the market share a bank possesses, the easier it is to grasp the mood of the market, the easier it is for their fund managers to do their thing.

Are you talking about floor traders at the stock exchange? If not, then I don't see how computers are threatening the job security of investment bankers. Like I don't see how a computer can decide whether or not to invest in an Nigerian index for example.

#35 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

I cannot see your point. How is the industry dying? It has shrunk drastically since the crisis, but that gives the six biggest investment banks even more dominance in capital markets than they ever had before, occupying almost half of the industry's revenue to date (To my knowledge, they have been gaining 1% market share every year). It goes without saying then, the bigger the market share a bank possesses, the easier it is to grasp the mood of the market, the easier it is for their fund managers to do their thing.

Are you talking about floor traders at the stock exchange? If not, then I don't see how computers are threatening the job security of investment bankers. Like I don't see how a computer can decide whether or not to invest in an Nigerian index for example.

That is if deals are getting done by investment banks at all. Equity and debt raising has been terrible for those with less than $1B in market cap. Bankers just won't take the deals because they know their boss (ie: the institutional investors) are just going to tell them to bring something else. The "mid-market" bankers are having the same problem but this time, their clients, the <$1B corporations, are turning away from these bankers and would rather do their own non-brokered private placements. Forget startups and small corporations, which although are the life blood of any economy, are always kicked to the curb when it comes to getting financing, and these guys are retail level anyways. Now with crowd funding, startups, small corporations, and pretty much any corporation with less than a $1B in revenue can access financing without hiring an investment bank or any bank for that matter. I've seen the layoffs in IBD and they haven't hired back anyone, nor do I think they'll start hiring back as senior bankers are all starting their own corporate advisory services since they have their own clients and institutional investors to run their own deals.

Regarding traders, I'm referring to desk traders at all brokerage firms. Floor traders are dinosaurs, we don't need to go into that. But pure traders that just trade on instruction or on the banks money are in a sunsetting job. Considering their front office position, they don't have clients or are not brining in clients to justify their existence. Algorithms are replacing traders. Sales-traders or research-traders still stand a chance because they either have clients are or have done enough fundamental research to do their jobs.

The biggest investment banks may continue to get business from the biggest companies but these huge conglomerates are their only clients. They shun the smaller players who will learn to find their own financing either directly through VCs or PE firms and these same firms are circumventing banks to put their money directly into play without banks pitching them deals. Ultra high net worth and high net worth individuals may continue to drink the coolaid but they do realize that they can buy into a deal on their own either by setting up their own shop or through a private placement. Retail guys want to participate in "deals" that the big shops bring in, but big shops look down at them and don't want to fill a cap table full of $10K and $100K clients. I don't blame them, who would!

#36 eIaina

eIaina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

You told me that investment banking is dying. I want to know why and how. You are talking about illiquidity, right? You said bankers wont deal with corporations. So low amount of outstanding shares in the market is illiquidity. But the only reason banks exist is to make markets. That includes helping investors (that demand liquidity) venture into illiquid markets, something that banks haven't done in a while. Because they didn't have to. In the past years before the crisis, everything traded. But like you said, "deals aren't being made", it's become harder to trade. But history repeats itself, and this demand in liquidity will only force them to serve their initial function as investment banks once it becomes attractive enough to do so. This is what banks do. I don't see how this dilemma means the industry is dying. Again, this squeezes smaller banks out of the picture, but it only gives bigger banks more share in the market, making them bigger than before.

It is true that equity trading is taking a pinch. But conversely, ETFs (my line of work) are growing. We are a busy busy bunch, and I'm not too worried about job security. And this is amongst other financial innovations, many of which already rein in attractive profits. As for algorithmic trading and talk about computers replacing human traders. That only increases volume. That's opposite of a dying industry, so I don't follow you on that.

#37 UnstoppableElmo

UnstoppableElmo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Actually that is false. This link is a ranking of Forbes Global 2000 in the industry of Major Banks http://www.forbes.co...er:All%20states

Edited by UnstoppableElmo, 02 June 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#38 eIaina

eIaina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Well if you want to count state-owned banks, then I guess China's banks are up there too..

#39 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

You told me that investment banking is dying. I want to know why and how. You are talking about illiquidity, right? You said bankers wont deal with corporations. So low amount of outstanding shares in the market is illiquidity. But the only reason banks exist is to make markets. That includes helping investors (that demand liquidity) venture into illiquid markets, something that banks haven't done in a while. Because they didn't have to. In the past years before the crisis, everything traded. But like you said, "deals aren't being made", it's become harder to trade. But history repeats itself, and this demand in liquidity will only force them to serve their initial function as investment banks once it becomes attractive enough to do so. This is what banks do. I don't see how this dilemma means the industry is dying. Again, this squeezes smaller banks out of the picture, but it only gives bigger banks more share in the market, making them bigger than before.

It is true that equity trading is taking a pinch. But conversely, ETFs (my line of work) are growing. We are a busy busy bunch, and I'm not too worried about job security. And this is amongst other financial innovations, many of which already rein in attractive profits. As for algorithmic trading and talk about computers replacing human traders. That only increases volume. That's opposite of a dying industry, so I don't follow you on that.

Now I see where you're coming from. ETFs are pretty much the only thing in banking that's still alive. All the other major industry groups are dead. Mining is dead in the water. We can live without ETFs but we can't live without mining and farming. You need farming to eat and you need mining to make the tools for farming.

Recently I came across an ETF for USD and CDN transactions. I think it's some Horizon product. Said it was a better way for people to do FX between USD and CDN. http://www.horizonse... Using ETFs.pdf

Personally don't like it as the waiting time between FX in and FX out can take up to 8 business days. But I want to hear your thoughts on this product?

#40 eIaina

eIaina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

Ok as I said. Illiquity will force banks to resume their historical function as intermediaries between investors and illiquid markets. And yes, people keep telling me that values of ETFs traded are expected to double or triple in the next couple years, but there are more significant streams of revenue for investment banks in loans, equity capital markets, and M&A, (save for debt capital markets..). Revenues of which have been growing every quarter in recent years. I update regularly. Other than Asian banks, the trend is global. Although American banks on average have performed slightly worse than the previous quarter, its evident that Wall Street is slowly making a comeback.

Its a currency ETF, just pay attention to the news that could affect the exchange rate. Usually people invest in currency ETFs because they want to capitalize on the rise/fall of currencies against the USD, but you seem to be only concerned about the cost of conversion, so I don't know what you want me to tell you. Currency specific ETFs like this can have big opening gaps in price, so I guess make use of stop-loss and limit orders to mitigate some of that.