AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Why asian always have white name!

name english western english name culture white

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#121 YuukiLA~

YuukiLA~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

lol i still use my chinese name after 10 years of moving to canada...
my friends say i have a cool name lol cuz it sounds different from the usual chinese-english names like kevin, tina, charles etc...
haha

#122 Kim Wang

Kim Wang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

My boyfriend is Chinese, he has a Chinese name (Wang Min) and an English name (George). He lives in Denmark, and the reason he has 2 names is that the Danish people find it hard to pronounce his name, and on the other side his name means "My dick" in Danish. So yeah, in his case it's rather obvious why.

#123 yyy232

yyy232

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

Not sure about everyone else, but I have english name and chinese name. I asked my parents long time ago, why do I have english name. They said, I was baptized when I was a baby and that name is from bible. Imagine of it as a baptism name. When I had my confirmation in church, the church told me to pick another name too, based on saints name, for my confirmation. So you see, nothing to feel frustrated about when you see asian with english name. Sometimes, it can be because of religions too. simple. Please don't think too much of it.

#124 fefe 鸽子

fefe 鸽子

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

asians in white countries have an english name because asian names are hard to pronounce and its annoying when everytime you have a substitute teacher, they pronounce it a different way and mostly, it's never right. <_<

#125 ~ ♥ Malec ~

~ ♥ Malec ~

..::♥ Cutie ♥::..

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12558 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

When a western person go to live in Asia country, most of they also try to have a name of this country, such as David can be called as Da Wei in China. It's just to make other ppl to feel easier when calling him. Some other ppl/white like to have an unique name so they find uncommon name and choose something from Asian countries to be their name. Such as my UK friend, she chose name for her daughter as Mai which is a Vietnamese name (she is pure white) with the meaning of a beautiful kind of flower.

Not a big deal. We are living in globalisation world, white can have Asian/black name, Asian/black can have white name.

#126 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

''What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.''

#127 bachl

bachl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

i have plenty of those name for trolling, but my register name is PURE Vietnam.

#128 Syrup'nCakes

Syrup'nCakes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm chinese with a chinese name and I live in Finland (btw it's a scandinavian country if you didn't know). Some peoples thinks that its hard for whites to pronounce chinese names but most of the peoples that I have met for the first time have said my name just like it should be said. All my friends love my chinese name and I'm proud to have.

I think that there's nothing wrong about chinese having a "white name" and it really does fit to some of the people but I just prefer more chinese names 'cos it's kinda special.

#129 Pao Pao

Pao Pao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

'cause asians want to be american ¬¬

nah, not many asians want to be american, especially recently, if you go to china you'll notice that americans are referred to generally as hypocrites and wicked people because of the government and how their army treats people in the countries they occupy

#130 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

lol @ 'white' name

Poor you, does a non-Asian name hurts your little Asian-pride together with your Asian-ego?

Because the feel like it. Personal preference. I know a little caucasian girl with the Japanese name Yuna (yes, she's named after FFX), so?

It's just a name, get over yourself.

Edited by Moonshade, 24 January 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#131 Chaoey

Chaoey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I honestly just don't get it when Asians have English names when they can barely speak the language :/

#132 Tokyokirei

Tokyokirei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

I'm chinese with a chinese name and I live in Finland (btw it's a scandinavian country if you didn't know). Some peoples thinks that its hard for whites to pronounce chinese names but most of the peoples that I have met for the first time have said my name just like it should be said. All my friends love my chinese name and I'm proud to have.

Yeah, there are certainly some Asian names in which non-Asians are able to pronounce like "Hua". But for those who have names that are near impossible for non-Asians to say, it's better to switch to a western name, of course, unless they don't mind having it butchered each and every time they meet a new non-Asian person.

Kind of like me. I'm pretty used to non-Asians butchering my name by now.

#133 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

My chinese friend can't even pronounce her own chinese name.. i found it to be funny.
I think it's nice to be able to choose yourself which one you'd like to use.

Non asians can have multiple names aswell.
Like my name is Mary Louise.
But i prefer to use Mary and only my parents or teachers would call me Mary Louise.

#134 Jean Grey

Jean Grey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

I don't think it's wrong to have an English name. It's easier for people to pronounce and remember your name. If you think it's something disgrace then I think all of us shouldn't wear modern clothing or jeans because they came from the west. Anything that brings us convenience we adapt. Easy as that.

#135 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

what I find funny is not that Asian have western names but the ones who are obviously FOB's who act like stupid, bigoted FOBs take on western names but have not adapted none of the Western etiquette. i.e I've met a few Chinese FOBs who have fancy names like Christina, Elizabeth, Victoria, ect...but make comments about me in Chinese. So utterly rude.

Many Vietnamese don't take on Western names. Some of them do if their names are too hard to pronounce.

There's also a trend among Asians now to take on Asian names since it makes them unique. If I have children I intend to give them Vietnamese names that are also pleasant sounding in English.

#136 Rinoa524

Rinoa524

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

When Hong Kong was under the British government, it was mandatory to have an English first name. I was born and raised in Canada, I have an English first name, and Chinese middle name.

Cantonese - Nga-Men
Mandarin - Yawen
English - Brenda

I named my character "Yawen" in Warcraft, and people kept calling me either Yawn or Yaw, a complete butcher of my name.... It actually doesn't feel good to have your name butchered by everyone around you.

#137 guest_chaebol

guest_chaebol

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

what's the big deal of Asian using English name(what the fxck is white name anyway? :::laughing at the OP:::)???? It's more easily pronounced...so it's good for everyone isn't it?

#138 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2223 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I don't have an issue with Asians having a white name. And if you live in a Western country .... there are countless times when I cringe at how beautiful Asian names are pronounced. So there's also practicality involved in having a Western name unless you have a beautifully simple one like Su, Ming, Ying etc.

Try having a white professor pronounce a korean name like Song Seung-heun.
Even other Asians who don't know how to drop the L's in korean pronounciation (ie Lee is just "Ee") can screw up that intonation of Song Seung-heun or something Chinese pin-yinsed like Zhang Jie-qing.

I have heard Dukk-bo-gi (rice cakes) ... pronounced smoothly as doooo bow gee. (as in like toboggan with a gee). Imagine a beautiful meaningful Asian name rendered this Westernised rendition?

To me, it's just sacrilage of any beautiful Asian name, and its meaning. Worse, if they think it's funny. Better to have a prounceable Westernised simple name then. and I am all for simple name. Even if 2, 3 syllable ... keep it simple - Olivia, Megan, Melissa, Ethan, Mark etc

What I do NOT like are stupid or pretentious Western names of some Asians (like Evangellista-Angelica, Allistair-Alexander Wong etc etc) .... normally if you look at the parents - it revealing what they themselves are trying to be or aspire to = important and pompous people aka obnoxious sometimes.

Poor Evangellista-Angelica ... that first one alone is already hard enough for a 4-5 yr old writing/spelling her name out for the first time. Add the second, and what a mouthful. And if she looks like some shy plain dork .... with that name of hers ... she has a lot to live up to.

Or some which are even SELF-made up (ie made up as adults), NOT merely the stupidity/ignorance of their parents who named the kids (eg Mariam Yeung + REAL? (wtf) Ting and babyTorres, Gigi Lai and Pegasus? .... Sire (does she even know what this word means?) Ma)

I knew a kid who was born Apple ... after a whole bunch of kids threatened to eat or peel her everyday ... she's now Vanessa.

Or names like Cristabelle ... how brittle fluffy can names sound?
On trying hard to be unusual spelling of simple conventional names ... which makes you question whether the parents went to school, or failed 1st grade spelling. eg Audrey = Audree

In Singapore .... there's a famous plastic surgeon. He's called (if I am not mistaken) Woffles Wu.
And there are plenty of Mercedes and Lexus humans around. Posted Image

Asians don't gel with names which are very Western either. Whitney?
While an international student in Namerica .... had a HK roommate ask me to help out with a W header name for her sister who was coming over to join her.

W was hard enough to think of a nice name ... she wanted it to be "unusual". (which was why W in the first place -- "fewer people had names that started with W" = errr for a good reason, maybe?)

Wendy, Wendi, Winnie etc were all not good to her ... in the end she chose Wanda (after the Fish called Wanda). I had nothing whatsoever to do with that final choice! The only two options she eventually wanted were Winifred and Wanda.

And of course - sometimes no matter what 'image and values' you try so hard to project superficially to the world = nothing is more revealing than what genuinely matters, near and dear to the heart.
Check out Callie Kwong's dogs' names:
Cash and Euro.

Edited by nomad 822, 10 January 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#139 teddyc

teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Why asian always have white name like CHarles or David or Peter it is so humiliating to my culture and people.

Manchu used to make chinese wear pigtail as sign of there cultural and mental submission. Now all asian submit by getting white name and such, such a travesty to our ancestors who had asian name!

Stop having white name and get asian name, you are asian!

Indian arab, even BLACK have there own name excpt asian. Asian is weak? Why asian always do this? Make me annoy! Posted Image

If you live in an English speaking country you need an English name, it's that simple. Asians have Asian names as well that they use. But try living in the English speaking world and having a name like Ahmad or Mohammad or Soo Yoong Huynh. You will encounter numerous barriers in daily life. Think about it, if your doctor in the ER can't pronounce your name, how do you know if it's your turn to get treatment? Even white guys get Chinese names when they move to China/HK/Taiwan. Sure they might be able to get away with being called gwei lo for a while, as they may be the only gwei lo in their community. But there are a lot more Asians in English speaking countries than there are whites in Asian countries, hence you think that there are a lot more Asians with English names than vice-versa.

It's not humiliating to have an English name when you live in an English speaking community. It's a convenience that those with an English name living in an English speaking community care to have.

For me, I don't even use my English name when I'm in Asia. People only know me by my Asian name but my legal name includes my English name.

#140 RadeonHD

RadeonHD

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I have an English name because I was born in an English speaking country. It can't really be helped to be honest.

#141 yinl

yinl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

i have an english name.. but i also have a chinese name. i don't think it's wrong for an asian to have a western name

#142 Arnold Schwarzenasian

Arnold Schwarzenasian

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I was born with my name. It is so Irish even though I don't look that Irish, maybe my cleft chin and the way my hair grows but everything else is Asian.

#143 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

haha, this thread reminds me of a friend's SIL. They're Taiwanese. Her name is "Tina", calls her daughter "Ashelee, Ashelee". Her other daughter is Catherine.

I don't have problems with Asian sporting Western names, even the pompous ones but it's ridiculous when they pick a fancy western name but don't even pick up any of the Western etiquette. The moron commented on my pants in front of me in Chinese. Also made fun of my brother's wedding picture that I was showing to my friend.

My family is head and shoulder above hers in terms of education and certainly breeding. Being Chinese don't make them beter than Vietnamese. What a moron.

#144 platinum86

platinum86

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

Why asian always have white name like CHarles or David or Peter it is so humiliating to my culture and people.

Manchu used to make chinese wear pigtail as sign of there cultural and mental submission. Now all asian submit by getting white name and such, such a travesty to our ancestors who had asian name!

Indian arab, even BLACK have there own name excpt asian. Asian is weak? Why asian always do this? Make me annoy! Posted Image

A lot of the time it's because we find it difficult to pronounce or remember your asian name, but of course if you become a closer friend and prefer your asia name we can call you that!!!

I don't think it's about asian's being weak, maybe more English being the international language

#145 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

You don't need a western name when you live in an Eglish speaking country. How English is Mercedes Pham? That's as American as Kung Pao Chicken. And that's the point of the name Mercedes so their names wouldn't be so commonplace.

I see the need for a westernized name should your name be too difficult to pronounce. There are many Vietnamese names that sound nice in English but the problem is even when it's pronouncible, the spelling is such that it's mispronounced anyway. That's b/c VNmse spelling is not English based. It's more Portugese based as it was developed by Portugese missionaries back in the day. For example Dung is pronounced like Yoong, not "dung" like cow manure. So you see the dilemma of having a beautiful Vietnamese name that sounds horrific in English. Most VNmses keep their name regardless.

That's not the case with many Asians, in particular the Chinese and maybe Korean too. Even when their native names are pleasant sounding, they pick pompous or gag me a spoon yuppy names that they can't pronounce properly like the example I gave with the moronic woman calling her daughter "Ashelee" or maybe that's also a cognate of a Chinese name.

#146 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

Stupid OP is saying this when he didn't even use an Asian username. Ironic ... and yes, I'm using one right now, changed it like what, last week? AND NOT BECAUSE OF THIS

I just thought it sounded cool ... I was thinking of a new name to use .. and yeah I know Wong "is not normally pronounced woong" ... I just thought it would sound "a bit more Chinese" and didn't want to bother "spelling it right" like Woong since it's already followed by Loong ... I just thought it would look funny. Hey I made up the name, I can say it any way I want!!!

It has a bit of rhyme to it ... so "it's a bit easy to remember". Sounds like a Kung Fu hero name ... or a fighting game character lol

but for real name ... I didn't get to choose it. It's a birth name like most people, given by our parents ... there's so many other names I would choose. That's why I want some alternative names, or nicknames ... that are mostly Western, simply because they're "simple and easier to remember" ... if you have typical Asian names (Chong, Chang, Chu, Lee, Lai, Tang, Wang, Kim, Park, etc.) ... it's like "what's so special about that ... " it doesn't sound unique "when there's thousands of other people with the same name" ... and no I'm not saying all Western names are unique either. Lots of Western names "are also plain" ... nothing we haven't heard before ... just more simple to remember

Whether Western or Asian names ... usually the shorter they are, the more simple and easy they are to say and remember. Who the f*ck wants some EXTRA SUPER LONG tongue twisting name ... especially when it's Thai or South Asian ... no one can be bothered to remember that, let alone even get it right most of the time

If Tony Jaa's name was some super long weird sounding Thai name ... who would remember him? People either wouldn't remember him, or they would be like "hey what's that guy's name again ... from that movie ... ". Want to get a job, be famous "or stand out?" Keep it simple or catchy

Most of these Asian names ... especially really long or weird sounding ones ... people here in the West can't seem to get used to it, or would PROBABLY FEEL WEIRD saying it all the time ... can you imagine in class when the professor calls your name ... or having white / black friends ... who keep calling you something like Hang Kim Keung Un (there's plenty more examples, but you know what I mean) ... not just for other people, but I THINK MOST ASIANS WOULD FEEL WEIRD having someone CALL THEM by their Asian name all the time. If you want to answer a question in class ... odds are the professor will probably skip over you, no matter how smart you are, if they can't even say your name. Same goes for employers. No one wants to struggle with saying names and trying to remember them ... it's better to have a short / simple, quick catchy name easy to remember "and has a cool or attractive sound to it"

It's all about fitting in and having an easier name to remember, and adapting to culture

I can think of ten names or more COOLER than Justin Beiber or some of these celebrities out there ...

There's many alternative names I would like to have, mostly Western and a few Asian now and then

Edited by Wong Che Loong, 06 April 2013 - 01:26 AM.