AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Have you ever suspect your teacher is racist?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#81 BlueTauge7

BlueTauge7

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Here where I live, racism is a little different from the western countries mostly in this discussion(I'm only assuming this as you all use the terms "Asians" and "White"). In Malaysia, the friction is between Malays and Chinese. Although racism is not so bad in East Malaysia, where I am, I have met one extremely racist, arrogant and jerk of a teacher. He wasn't a school teacher but a tuition teacher*. He is Chinese and was notoriously racist against anyone who wasn't Chinese. The racist comments against the non-Chinese(Malay, Indian, Aborigines) he makes makes me want to slap him numerous times. He was not only racist but judgemental, cocky and thinking himself to be superior. He not only looked down on non-Chinese people, he also disliked my school's Physics teacher(whom he apparently knew) and therefore disliked the students of my school. He also submerged himself in immature name-calling like "You, girl, yes, the one with the *insult to distinguish student*". He was also sexist and incorporated it into his teachings. He also never even tried to learn any of his students' names because his classes were "oh-so-popular and good" and just referred to us as "girl" or "boy". He sickened me so much I quit his classes.

This is a little OT but the next most racist person I know is actually my mother. It was because of her that I grew up with racist ideas. But then, I realised that everyone is made equal and the colour of skin had little to do with the person the "skin" belonged to. Now, it is difficult to hold a conversation with my mother about racial equality without me wanting to scream in frustration(this usually starts with her making a racist comment and me rebutting her).

In my primary and high school years, I have, of course, encountered racism from peers, which added to my racist upbringing, did not help me over-come my prejudices. But I have good Malay friends and I have a lecturer who is absolutely wonderful. He is Malay and I can sense that he is proud of being Malay but other than that, he's practically colour-blind. He is the living embodiment that Chinese and Malays can live together in harmony without offending each other. He's always extremely respectful of other races and cultures and takes an interest in it by asking us non-Malays about our culture casually as he teaches and does not conform to popular prejudices. His classes are interesting and funny without being offensive or vulgar(unlike a certain someone up there^). I really hope more teachers like him exist everywhere. He teaches much more than what his syllabus covers and he does it without even knowing it.

*I have always wanted to ask: Do Westerners have tuition classes? Does the rest of Asia have it? Or is it just in Malaysia and Singapore? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant but I'm truly curious.

#82 elmoally

elmoally

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

i had a teacher who was racist to my friend pretty sad!

#83 Kim Wang

Kim Wang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

My teacher? Never.

#84 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Nope.

But then again, I'm always the teacher's pet so... :tricky:

#85 pixiepeddle

pixiepeddle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

My friends said almost all Spanish teachers are racist to asian people

#86 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6215 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

not racist but probably a sexist lol... i'm in a male-dominated course and somehow me and my friend (we're the only girls at that time) are always being singled out firstly by the guys (guys in my course for some reasons love to hang out with each other and never ever mixed around with the girls), and then we were again singled out by the lecturer and the things he said about us were never something nice... he's also biased with the grades and such.

For example, me and this guy got the exact same output for the assignment but it's all our own work (we didn't copy each obviously because I don't even know that guy I only know he has the same thing as me because he was sitting beside me) but he had much higher grade than I did. Another lecturer failed me for another assignment even though I completed most of the requirements while some guy who didn't even finish a quarter of it had a much higher grade than me. Another friend who's also a girl faced the same sexist issues as well. Racist or not, it's downright unprofessional... a professor or lecturer should never judged a student based on any of that...

Edited by SoulReaper, 05 April 2012 - 08:33 PM.