AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

The word "Chinky"~is it a bad word for chinese people?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
261 replies to this topic

#161 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

They say in canada, for every kilometer of railroad is the body of a dead chinese person

See here >>

is that from a documentary? and like i said, you learn something everyday!! i didn't really know about that. "...for every kilometre of railroad is the body of a dead chinese person." by the way, can i ask that would you say that the chinese were used as slaves to work on the railroads? i don't mean to be a racist in any way but it just came to mind.(but like most people would say "curiosity kills the cat!")

#162 Alinkinthewinds

Alinkinthewinds

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

is that from a documentary? and like i said, you learn something everyday!! i didn't really know about that. "...for every kilometre of railroad is the body of a dead chinese person." by the way, can i ask that would you say that the chinese were used as slaves to work on the railroads? i don't mean to be a racist in any way but it just came to mind.(but like most people would say "curiosity kills the cat!")

There's nothing ever wrong with asking, (just ask the right people lol), anyways that was from a segment of what was called the heritage minutes that use to run at commercials in canada giving viewers some insight on canadian history. And chinese contribution is REALLY downplayed, they weren't used as slaves but, well just read up on wikipedia or something about all the anti-chinese laws that were made official in Canada. The first chinese immigrants to canada had it ridiculously hard.

Edit, this is unrelated, but i thought i'd like to share this other cool canadian heritage minute ;p

Edited by Alinkinthewinds, 03 March 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#163 GhstDreamer

GhstDreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

There's nothing ever wrong with asking, (just ask the right people lol), anyways that was from a segment of what was called the heritage minutes that use to run at commercials in canada giving viewers some insight on canadian history. And chinese contribution is REALLY downplayed, they weren't used as slaves but, well just read up on wikipedia or something about all the anti-chinese laws that were made official in Canada. The first chinese immigrants to canada had it ridiculously hard.

Edit, this is unrelated, but i thought i'd like to share this other cool canadian heritage minute ;p

Almost like slaves - they were the ones used to place the bombs inside enclosed areas of land so few would've had the chance to get out of the way of the blast. Basically they were disposable people. The Chinese was the ONLY ethnic group to immigrate to Canada having to pay a head tax. No other ethnic group had to and that includes the Japanese, Indians, Irish, Polish, etc.) - which sadly is omitted in many of the schools' history textbooks. One of the main reasons why the Chinese won the right to citizenship and the right to vote was because during WWII, they wanted to serve in the military and die for a country that didn't consider them as citizens. Eventually, some were recruited and died. The irony was that when the Canadian government seized Japanese owned property and transported them to detention centres during WWII, the government offered the land to be sold to the Chinese - many declined the offer.

Regarding the head tax, our current Prime Minister finally admittd to the specific racism towards the Chinese during that time.

Edited by GhstDreamer, 03 March 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#164 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

Almost like slaves - they were the ones used to place the bombs inside enclosed areas of land so few would've had the chance to get out of the way of the blast. Basically they were disposable people. The Chinese was the ONLY ethnic group to immigrate to Canada having to pay a head tax. No other ethnic group had to and that includes the Japanese, Indians, Irish, Polish, etc.) - which sadly is omitted in many of the schools' history textbooks. One of the main reasons why the Chinese won the right to citizenship and the right to vote was because during WWII, they wanted to serve in the military and die for a country that didn't consider them as citizens. Eventually, some were recruited and died. The irony was that when the Canadian government seized Japanese owned property and transported them to detention centres during WWII, the government offered the land to be sold to the Chinese - many declined the offer.

Regarding the head tax, our current Prime Minister finally admittd to the specific racism towards the Chinese during that time.

at least it's a good thing that he/she admitted it. if they didn't then it would be a bad thing.

i think people need to be educated about this, then it'll show people to not use the word "chinky" and think before they speak. omg!! some people in the UK are so little minded and ignorant about what they say!!! it makes me angry!!

#165 Lotus Dragon

Lotus Dragon

don't let me get carried away..

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

ummmm usage of this word was never really widespread where i grew up. not many ppl came into contact with asians... in fact the first time i heard it used (that i can remember) was to describe a girl that someone had made out with "you know.. the chinky one" :lame: ... altho i was aware of it before then.. i dunno where from tho :wacko:

i have not used it. ever.
but my friend always tells me off for listening to "that chink music" :loool: :loool: :loool: (he's part chinese)

#166 forevalurve

forevalurve

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

The word ch1nk is offensive even if it's not used in a way to offend someone. The word itself is derogatory and insulting. It's just annoying when people say it especially those that are famous like LeeHom. I like his music but as a person respect has been lost.

Here's what Leehom have got to say about chinked-out.
"Then, I coined the term “chinked-out”. Derived from the historically derogatory racial slur “chink”, used to out-down Chinese people, “chinked-out” repossesses the word, turns its negative connotations upside-down, and uses them as material to fuel the new sound of this music. The term describes an effort to create a sound that is international, and at the same time, Chinese. This is NOT one of those “world music” CDs. It's an R&B/hip-hop album that creates a new vibe the whole world can identify as being Chinese."

Leehom used chinked-out for his music to try to reclaim and make the work positive just like how african or carribean people reclaim the use of n.

i never even knew about the word until leehom mentioned it in his music.

me too, i'm not living in a western country. i never knew about the word until Leehom talked about it in his music.

#167 Alinkinthewinds

Alinkinthewinds

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

Here's what Leehom have got to say about chinked-out.
"Then, I coined the term “chinked-out”. Derived from the historically derogatory racial slur “chink”, used to out-down Chinese people, “chinked-out” repossesses the word, turns its negative connotations upside-down, and uses them as material to fuel the new sound of this music. The term describes an effort to create a sound that is international, and at the same time, Chinese. This is NOT one of those “world music” CDs. It's an R&B/hip-hop album that creates a new vibe the whole world can identify as being Chinese."
me too, i'm not living in a western country. i never knew about the word until Leehom talked about it in his music.

your so uninformed. And Leehom is such a douche bag, this is one of the last things our community needs. That guys a joke.

#168 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:22 PM

NOW NOW CHILDREN!!!! no need to be mean!! anyways, i never knew some people didn't like him for saying "chinked-out"! okay fair play he's trying to turn it into something positive but i think, in a way, he should of thought a little deeper, but, i've never heard that he got hate mail for it.

Lutus dragon, i'm loving the pic you have by the way. "kiss me, i'm mixed!!"

Edited by Hyper_jess90, 06 March 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#169 M1k0e

M1k0e

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

chink is only a racial slur more or less if a black, white, or w/e guy says it about u, otherwise, its like the term person or gook or cracka just used as a way to greet close frendss to an extent

#170 Alinkinthewinds

Alinkinthewinds

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

chink is only a racial slur more or less if a black, white, or w/e guy says it about u, otherwise, its like the term person or gook or cracka just used as a way to greet close frendss to an extent

See the problem with that is that it's a double standard. It should just be eliminated all together. If people see others using it, it's just no incentive not to use it. So just stop using it, i dunno about you but i'm no chink :noclue The only people who use words like chink, paki, or person are ignorant people, so try to set yourself to a higher standard and cut it out.

Edited by Alinkinthewinds, 06 March 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#171 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

See the problem with that is that it's a double standard. It should just be eliminated all together. If people see others using it, it's just no incentive not to use it. So just stop using it, i dunno about you but i'm no chink :noclue The only people who use words like chink, paki, or person are ignorant people, so try to set yourself to a higher standard and cut it out.

i get what you're saying. if we want to eliminate the whole racist thing then we should stop using racial terms.

#172 Lotus Dragon

Lotus Dragon

don't let me get carried away..

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Lutus dragon, i'm loving the pic you have by the way. "kiss me, i'm mixed!!"

:dance ... (and it's Lotus Dragon :P )

since when have the terms "gook" or "cracka" been used close friends? :wacko: (no really... i'm not being confrontational... i just never heard them bein used lol) doesnt seem a very white thing to do.. :unsure: or at least a very British thing to do :lmao:
"goodmorning cracka"
"how do u do cracka"

#173 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

hehehe!! i didnt notice my spelling mistake!! ^_^' anyways, i've never heard the term "gook" or "cracka" been used!! i think it's one of these rare things people don't really notice.

#174 skinman

skinman

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:46 AM

I think the root word, Chink came about during the early 1900's when Chinese immigrants from China went to Canada and USA to work and to construct the Canadian Pacific Rail road. Also, If I am correct, it can be traced back to the earlier times when Chinese people first arrived in San Francisco etc.

#175 babi gRL

babi gRL

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

to what i heard, chinky is used by white poeple when they started out with this word is cause that they want to offended us cause our qing dynasty is a not as successful dynasty so that they call us chinky which is very weak and as well as that time when they attacked us at that time of era

#176 sweet_tale_of_karen

sweet_tale_of_karen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:18 AM

i dont look in the dictionary to find the word chinky...i'm a Filipina and we have spanish influence in our language and the Filipino word for China is Tsina and the people is Tsino and we referred the eyes as Tsinita or singkit (small eyes) or if my analysis is correct in english its Chingky eyes...any sense?

#177 Lillieee.xo

Lillieee.xo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

A few days ago my friends asked me if "chink" was a bad word for chinese people!? Like "person" is a bad word for black people.! I didn't know wuht to say because I'm not chinese but they thought I was so yea!... is it a bad word for chinese people?

Edited by Myvi, 21 August 2007 - 01:29 PM.
merge topic

#178 GirlWithUglyFeet

GirlWithUglyFeet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:33 AM

Well, indeed it is a bad word. Of course, there are a few Chinese out there who would act tough and couldn't care less but I'm one of those who give a damn. I mean, if the word 'Chinese' exists in the English language, I would prefer people to refer me as that instead of a racial slur called 'chink.' Sometimes I could take it as a joke, depending on who the person is and such.

#179 aznelite03

aznelite03

AF Baller

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:34 AM

what the hell is "chink" anyway lol....never heard of this word before unless theres more words to it

#180 keepp

keepp

Respect All. Fear None.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:15 AM

chink is a small dent. :D

#181 glamourdoll

glamourdoll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:56 AM

I don't think it's a bad word like a swear word or whatever..but it's offensive to a lot of chinese people.

#182 melonprodigy16

melonprodigy16

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:10 AM

It really depends on the audience and what context to me. Some people are more politically inclined so of course it would be very offensive. I wouldn't get offended if I was just lightly joking with friends at a mall but if it was said in a serious conversation with malicious intention, then it is offensive (obviously)

#183 dluong

dluong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

Yup it is a racial slur. Just like person, Jap or Cracker.

#184 cpa314

cpa314

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

yup, it was intended to be a racial slur. just like dluong said. Same with stuff like gook or wetback.....stufff like that

#185 IVY♥

IVY♥

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:00 AM

Chink is a racial slur against chinese ppl, just like saying person to a black guy. It is offensive.

#186 ricegamer

ricegamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

Are you guys serious? Chink is a bad word for all asians. You guys must live in rich suburbs or something.

#187 candy.rain

candy.rain

Shazz

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

I'm new to this word as I've only known such a word existed when my Chinese friends had on their blogs "my name is ____. im 16. chink aussie......." So I thought it was a slang word for Chinese until I found out a few months later it was a racial slur O_o. Personally, I don't take offence to it, and chinese people where i live even refer to themselves as Chinks, so I'm guessing it doesn't offend them either??

#188 mr johnny lee

mr johnny lee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

I get offended by it, only if it is said but someone who isn't Chinese though. This is exactly the case with black guys with the n word, it's okay to use it within the circle but by anyone else who isn't black, they'll take offence to it.

#189 metamorphic_chic

metamorphic_chic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

if other chinese people say it then i think its strange because well why would you do that?!? but then i suppose its better than other people who aren't chinese people saying it.

#190 fall_out

fall_out

asian-inadequate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2642 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

theres a diffrence between the term chink and person (or how they say it: niggah). we dont call each other chinks but black ppl call each other niggers.

#191 skYmaster

skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Well, i think it is a bad word for chinese people, because it is like the "n" word for black people. But i saw some chinese people using the word chink to describe themselves and i was like "WHAT"?!

#192 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13468 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

lol i always thought that CHINO was more of the slang word for saying CHINESE! lol...even though there is an actual place down at er...i think california that is named Chino..

either way CHINK, depends on the tone of voice and the sentence you are using it. i can really care less about what the word is...

if you use it in a hostle way then sure i would be pretty pissed and snap back.

if you use it in a funny joking way or in a school discussion then im fine with it, but don't step over the line.

#193 o0oLaLas

o0oLaLas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

I dont know if this name is a bad word for Chinese people because some Chinese people call themselves a CHINK.

#194 Roy88

Roy88

Supreme Leader of my Life

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

I was wondering why did Taiwan singer Wang Lee Hom use that word in the title of one of his song: Chink Out....weird.

#195 Ruichan

Ruichan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:59 AM

Chink---> slit-eyed chinese. Derived from the caucasian's perception of all Chinese having narrow, slit eyes.
I read it in one of my cultural diversity textbooks some time ago.

#196 ninja_X

ninja_X

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

Well I say that word is offensive and should not be used to describe chinese people. For one it talks about the slant of the eyes, which is clearly making fun of one's eyes.

#197 im_a_filipina

im_a_filipina

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

Aye, I was with my cousin and we saw a group of Chinese people. And I was like, " Ahh! My weakness. those chinky people" And he was like " Are you stupid? Don't call them like that because it's bad"....

and then ive learned that it's like calling a 'person' black.

#198 katachi

katachi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

I heard from a friend that "Chink" was how the white people called the Chinese people when they immigrated to North America for the railroad labors....

side note: I didn't know that "Jap" was offensive to the Japanese people though. I mean, for lazy mouthed people... I thought Jap was just short for Japanese.

#199 retaxis

retaxis

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

i lived in China for the better part of ten years and lived in Australia for nearly 15years. No one has ever called me a chink or a gook or whatever before. Maybe once or twice in primary school for jokes like chingchong or etc.

#200 1234567

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

well it is offensive bcuz it is considered a racist term for chinese ppl

i dont think i ever been called a chink, but i hv heard ppl sayin ching chong and crap like that